Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Keim on a Q & A podcast with Bram and sometimes old podcasts blend in my mind so I might be bringing in Keim's previous podcast into this mix, too.

A. some agents of offensive coordinators interested in the job contacted Keim and asked him about it.  One seems specifically jazzed at the job because he loved Brian Robinson.

B.  this is a marriage of Keim and Russell on the radio, I am forgetting who said what so I'll combine them.  Rivera was frustrated about the offense during the season, he would sit in on more offensive meetings than typically for that reason.   He was pissed about the drop back plays versus the Giants near the end zone, one of which arguably cost them that game.   Rivera was voicing his frustration about Scott mid season.  Neither one was surprised about the firing.

C.  they were surprised by Wentz's lack of mobility.   I made similar comments earlier this season when I said I was out on Wentz, the dude looked like a statue back there -- in Indy he wasn't as mobile as he was in Phlly but he had plenty of flashes of mobility, we saw nothing like that here

D.   Combining a bunch of beat guys takes, they sincerely wanted to throw the ball early this season.  This  concept of we wanted to be a run team is PR BS and born out of necessity because of lack of good QB play, not because that was the game plan from the jump.  

E. Draft-FA -- O line, O line, O line.  Then CB. 

F.  Not sure about what and how ownership changes the equation of spending.  Bram suspected that their money will be restricted so he's doubting big money moves.

G.  Heinicke would want to come back if its just him and Howell.  But would likely want to leave if they bring another veteran.

H.  They prefer Cosmi at RG but open to keeping him at RT

I.  They likely keep either Rouillier or Larsen but not both

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Wait @Skinsinparadise, are you saying agents of interested O-coordinators called John Keim to ask him about the situation / the job?

If so, that’s news to me that agents would contact local beat reporters to do due diligence.

Yep.  I've heard similar things plenty of times.  Reporters and agents talk.

I recall someone said reporters like Schefter sometimes even give recommendations.

He's not a reporter but draft media guy, Todd McShay said once on a podcast he talked to some prospective coaches at the time who asked him about the Redskins and he recommended not pursuing it.  I recall it well because at the time I was thinking, wow. 

• Like 1

I could see someone like Kingsbury being interested in our OC job. His thinking being: "I'll have a really good WR trio and RB duo and a QB that knows how to operate a spread. Even if Ron is a lame duck, I'll have that offense humming enough that I can get a HC job in 2024 regardless of what happens to Ron."

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

KB is touting the exact same QBs that I am right now, there is no way we both can be wrong.  😀  

Huh. And so far, me too. 

Well, I'd like Shane Buechele but having that much awesome under one roof is a lot. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I could see someone like Kingsbury being interested in our OC job. His thinking being: "I'll have a really good WR trio and RB duo and a QB that knows how to operate a spread. Even if Ron is a lame duck, I'll have that offense humming enough that I can get a HC job in 2024 regardless of what happens to Ron."

If all true he’d probably move right into the HC here… I might be the only guy here but given the circumstances he was dealt with this season in Az I actually think he did a really good job there …… I think Murray is a bust too… but I don’t see him getting back into any form of coaching in the near future… I think he sits on the beach and collects all that $ from the Cards sitting with beautiful women and a cold drink

Just now, ashlynskins said:

If all true he’d probably move right into the HC here… I might be the only guy here but given the circumstances he was dealt with this season in Az I actually think he did a really good job there …… I think Murray is a bust too… but I don’t see him getting back into any form of coaching in the near future… I think he sits on the beach and collects all that $ from the Cards sitting with beautiful women and a cold drink

Kingsbury was an awful HC. Just awful.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D.   Combining a bunch of beat guys takes, they sincerely wanted to throw the ball early this season.  This  concept of we wanted to be a run team is PR BS and born out of necessity because of lack of good QB play, not because that was the game plan from the jump.  

They were discussing this on The Junkies this morning said RR and Mayhew weren't gonna just come out and say our QB's stink.  Instead referenced the running more thing which most people (except some here on this forum) understood was BS.  LOL

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They were discussing this on The Junkies this morning said RR and Mayhew weren't gonna just come out and say our QB's stink.  Instead referenced the running more thing which most people (except some here on this forum) understood was BS.  LOL

Yeah they didn't want to rip Wentz the way Ballard-Irsay did.  But with so many other answers they made it clear that the move for Wentz failed.  Clearly, they aren't in a QB hunt with all options are on the table again if they felt good about Wentz.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah they didn't want to rip Wentz the way Ballard-Irsay did.  But with so many other answers they made it clear that the move for Wentz failed.  Clearly, they aren't in a QB hunt with all options are on the table again if they felt good about Wentz.  

Howell had no business scoring here, thought it was a dead play almost immediately. Great effort and strength, though it was also some poor defending on Dallas's part.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  this is a marriage of Keim and Russell on the radio, I am forgetting who said what so I'll combine them.  Rivera was frustrated about the offense during the season, he would sit in on more offensive meetings than typically for that reason.   He was pissed about the drop back plays versus the Giants near the end zone, one of which arguably cost them that game.   Rivera was voicing his frustration about Scott mid season.  Neither one was surprised about the firing.

Agree, one other thing I remembered from The Junkies.  Lurch lives in Turner's neighborhood and said after the Browns loss both him and his wife were extremely distraught.  Apparently, she was crying big time.  Makes you wonder if that game was the nail for Rivera.  Also makes you wonder if Scott was the one pushing for Wentz to start again.  I get the feeling RR gives those coordinators a lot of room to make decisions but takes all the bullets when things don't work out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Agree, one other thing I remembered from The Junkies.  Lurch lives in Turner's neighborhood and said after the Browns loss both him and his wife were extremely distraught.  Apparently, she was crying big time.  Makes you wonder if that game was the nail for Rivera.  Also makes you wonder if Scott was the one pushing for Wentz to start again.  I get the feeling RR gives those coordinators a lot of room to make decisions but takes all the bullets when things don't work out.

Rivera strikes me as a guy who keeps things in-house and takes the arrows (or at least equivocates) publicly.

This is why I am not nearly as down on him as many of the people on this board.

He’s not aloof. And he’s more modern than you might think, given statements he’s made on analytics and trying different things. But it seems like he gives his guys both the authority to make certain decisions as well as holds them accountable. 

If this report is true, it suggests that Ron let Scott call his shot. It didn’t work out, and now he’s holding Scott accountable. It’s a good way to run an organization over the long term and likely why Ron has such a good reputation around the League.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim on a Q & A podcast with Bram and sometimes old podcasts blend in my mind so I might be bringing in Keim's previous podcast into this mix, too.

A. some agents of offensive coordinators interested in the job contacted Keim and asked him about it.  One seems specifically jazzed at the job because he loved Brian Robinson.

C.  they were surprised by Wentz's lack of mobility.   I made similar comments earlier this season when I said I was out on Wentz, the dude looked like a statue back there -- in Indy he wasn't as mobile as he was in Phlly but he had plenty of flashes of mobility, we saw nothing like that here

E. Draft-FA -- O line, O line, O line.  Then CB. 

F.  Not sure about what and how ownership changes the equation of spending.  Bram suspected that their money will be restricted so he's doubting big money moves.

G.  Heinicke would want to come back if its just him and Howell.  But would likely want to leave if they bring another veteran.

H.  They prefer Cosmi at RG but open to keeping him at RT

I.  They likely keep either Rouillier or Larsen but not both

Posted about those 2 plays at the goal line in both giant games over and over more on a OL not blocking take. And why do you call it again the next time you played them if you cannot block it. Made a big difference in winning and losing both games.  

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Wait @Skinsinparadise, are you saying agents of interested O-coordinators called John Keim to ask him about the situation / the job?

If so, that’s news to me that agents would contact local beat reporters to do due diligence.

I listened to the podcast and heard Keim say this.  He also mentioned the agent's client loved Robinson.  

Another point Keim made was there are 32 OC jobs in the NFL but not all get to call plays, so the fact that the new OC would get play calling responsibility makes it a more attractive job then some would think.

My take on Ron saying we're going to be run heavy tells me they're not chasing any big name QB this off-season.  It's going to be Howell and veteran battling it out in camp.  If it's a veteran not currently on the team, it'll be someone like Jacoby Brisett.  

Edited by drowland
  • Like 4