Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Cost? Nope.

Distraction? Nope. He's realistic about - and okay with - the backup role.

Cost is TBD.  I’d imagine his agent is expecting a raise, if not from us - elsewhere.  Also, Turner could also be on the outs - no Turner, no point in Heinicke.

His comments about being backup are fine and all, but he will be a distraction just by being here.

If Hurney is the dude in the tank for Howell,as multiple people who cover the team have said, i am gathering Howell is competing with a veteran for QB 1 next year.  I'd be surprised if they make a major move at QB.  I'd be equally though surprised if they don't sign a veteran to compete with him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That team like ours if they can just get average QB play.  good play makers, Garrett Wilson is a stud, good defense.

Zach from a maturity standpoint seems like a clown.

They are arguably the favorites to get Carr

5 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

The Jets STINK. And will continue to stink. Wilson is s absolute fraud, more four-letter-network fraudulence. Teams without competent FOs fall for that stuff.

Their GM Joe Douglas was hailed as a star when he was hired.  Came out of the Eagles system, big rep.  His draft record, been mixed though.  And while he didn't make the Sam Darnold pick, he does have to wear the Zach Wilson pick.

Like us, they build a good defense.  Good RBs when healthy.  Good weapons.  But tough to win with crap QB play

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 4.30.10 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Their GM Joe Douglas was hailed as a star when he was hired.  Came out of the Eagles system, big rep.  His draft record, been mixed though.  And while he didn't make the Sam Darnold pick, he does have to wear the Zach Wilson pick.

Like us, they build a good defense.  Good RBs when healthy.  Good weapons.  But tough to win with crap QB play

Hey SIP, we're on the same page far more often than not, if the latter is ever even the case. I just think they got the HC choice absolutely wrong (though i really like Salah). But man, Wilson is horrendous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

Hey SIP, we're on the same page far more often than not, if the latter is ever even the case. I just think they got the HC choice absolutely wrong (though i really like Salah). But man, Wilson is horrendous.

The Jets somehow are getting more hype than this team from the national media about wow if they just get a QB watch out. 

I think our roster is a little better than theirs.  Exact same weaknesses -- QB and O line.  Their O line though has been ravged by injuries.   Breece Hall with almost 6 yards per carry but then he got hurt.

I think Joe Douglas who is loved by some in the national media gives that team some slack with that media ala Ballard with the Colts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Jets somehow are getting more hype than this team from the national media about wow if they just get a QB watch out. 

I think our roster is a little better than theirs.  Exact same weaknesses -- QB and O line.  Their O line though has been ravged by injuries.   Breece Hall with almost 6 yards per carry but then he got hurt.

I think Joe Douglas who is loved by some in the national media gives that team some slack with that media ala Ballard with the Colts. 

New York market. The Peter King types will always portray a spam sandwich in New York as filet mignon to the outside world. Recurring levels of absurdity. King needs to be removed from HOF voting, btw, like yesteryear!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

New York market. The Peter King types will always portray a spam sandwich in New York as filet mignon to the outside world. Recurring levels of absurdity. King needs to be removed from HOF voting, btw, like yesteryear!

The young up and coming personnel guys that get hyped for years, when they finally get that big job are celebrated.  i don't think he's done a bad job though, its been mixed but he hasn't matched the hype.  sometimes that hype matches reality, sometimes not.  But the process is good.

It's the same with the young hot shot coordinators or college coaches who get head coaching jobs -- celebrated at the time but it loses its luster over time in many cases.  People for example see Matt Nagy as a punchline, but at the time of the hire he was seen as a young innovative great hire.  Plenty of others like that like Klingsbury who was fired today.  Not that i don't like young coordinators with hype but there has been a share that flamed out.

In the Jets case i don't see Douglas as a failure, yet, he's been at least OK.  He has had three drafts, some hits some misses.  This current draft is looking good.   G. Wilson, Breece Hall and Sauce look like stars. 

They IMO got to fix the exact same spots we do ironically more or less.

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Alot of who will be next years Qb depends on if Turner is kept on. New OC will lead to new Qb.

A wise man once said: "One in hand is better than two in the bushes." But let's not get ahead ourselves. The team still has to be sold first. If it is sold by March or something then Ron and Co. will have at least one more year in the transition.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What's most impressive is that if you back out the first 4 gms - yes I was ready to send JDR packing then - the final 13 gms they only gave up 283 yds/gm. In terms of pts/gm, again backing out the 1st 4 gms, they gave up only 18.2 pts/gm over the last 13 gms. That's 8.4 pts/gm less than the first 4. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Heinicke was still waiting on a signed jersey from wide receiver Terry McLaurin to add to his collection. Mementos of his two-plus years in Washington have meant more to Heinicke this year because his run may be over. Once the team’s emergency quarterback during the coronavirus pandemic, Heinicke revived his career as Washington’s fill-in starter and, later, a true starter who helped the Commanders turn around their season in 2022.

“I love every guy in this locker room,” Heinicke said Monday. “… I would love to come back and be with these guys, but free agency is a crazy deal. We’ll see what happens, but Washington definitely is my first choice.”

Heinicke’s place in Washington could depend on the team’s view of rookie Sam Howell, who impressed in his NFL debut, against the Dallas Cowboys. Coach Ron Rivera almost assured an offseason search for a potential long-term starting quarterback and declined to say after the win over the Cowboys where Howell fits into the mix.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke was still waiting on a signed jersey from wide receiver Terry McLaurin to add to his collection. Mementos of his two-plus years in Washington have meant more to Heinicke this year because his run may be over. Once the team’s emergency quarterback during the coronavirus pandemic, Heinicke revived his career as Washington’s fill-in starter and, later, a true starter who helped the Commanders turn around their season in 2022.

“I love every guy in this locker room,” Heinicke said Monday. “… I would love to come back and be with these guys, but free agency is a crazy deal. We’ll see what happens, but Washington definitely is my first choice.”

Heinicke’s place in Washington could depend on the team’s view of rookie Sam Howell, who impressed in his NFL debut, against the Dallas Cowboys. Coach Ron Rivera almost assured an offseason search for a potential long-term starting quarterback and declined to say after the win over the Cowboys where Howell fits into the mix.

Please know, SIP that none of my responses are directed towards you.  :) This is where I differ from RR and Co.  We drafted Howell.  He's the guy.  He should have been playing after Wentz went down, not TH, IMO.  He is a better overall QB in many ways which were seen against a good Cowboy D and their starters.  We need to draft OL, OL, an ILB, FS and we are looking good, IMO.  Maybe spend a 5th/6th on another QB that slips for some reason.  IF a good PK/FG K is out there in FA sign him.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Please know, SIP that none of my responses are directed towards you.  :) This is where I differ from RR and Co.  We drafted Howell.  He's the guy.  He should have been playing after Wentz went down, not TH, IMO.  He is a better overall QB in many ways which were seen against a good Cowboy D and their starters.  We need to draft OL, OL, an ILB, FS and we are looking good, IMO.  Maybe spend a 5th/6th on another QB that slips for some reason.  IF a good PK/FG K is out there in FA sign him.  

I appreciate your usual politeness.  But no need to explain.  It's cool.  It's all about sharing opinion.

For me in the context of Ron I got no anger towards how he handled things with Howell.  The way I see it is...

A.  He drafted Howell, he wanted Howell.  I see on twitter in particular some see Howell's performance as a condemnaton of Ron.  I don't get that.  If Howell ends up the guy, then kudos for Ron for finding the guy that escapes us out of the wilderness.  I don't care how quick or not he got to it.

B.  As for playing Heinicke THEN at that point in the season, I get it.  I do think there is some value to letting a rookie QB develop.  The fact that Logan Pauslen thought Howell needed that time, I trust that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This line is a bit misleading.  The question was (I think) from Standig, and it was whether Ron was ready to say Howell. Pups be either the QB1 or 2 during the post game presser.  And Ron said “he’s going to be a QB, what number we’ll see after we go through the evaluation.”  (That’s paraphrased, but pretty close.)

I think the way this was written makes it sound like Ron was being either negative or evasive.  And I don’t think that was the case.  

If Ron came out and said “Howell showed enough to go into next year as the starter and we don’t have to evaluate FA’s, trades or the draft” it would be criminal malpractice and he would be blown up for it.  

So he said what coaches say: we’ll watch the film and evaluate.  See you in April.  

• Like 1