Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Trubisky is likely heading our way along with a day two QB……or someone falls in the first and we trade back in to get him. That feels like the most realistic scenario to me.

Could be underwhelming, I really hope not.

Yeah, that's like a lose-lose situation. Sign a cheap retread who has about a .01% chance of being anything and then draft a player in the 2nd round of a weak drat, who has maybe a 5 % chance of being anything. Both might end up worse than Taylor Heinicke. QB is the one position you really can't dumpster dive on and expect it to work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah, that's like a lose-lose situation. Sign a cheap retread who has about a .01% chance of being anything and then draft a player in the 2nd round of a weak drat, who has maybe a 5 % chance of being anything. Both might end up worse than Taylor Heinicke. QB is the one position you really can't dumpster dive on and expect it to work.

At this stage we are pretty much desperate. We need a QB or we are screwed.

I would rather we were done over in a trade that resulted in us getting our guy as opposed to settling for second hand scraps.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah, but it sets you up nicely for a top 5 pick in ‘26. Grab Arch Manning.  Boom!

• Like 1

I don’t believe Snyder being on board with RR saying the plan is Mitch and a day 2 qb and hope he developed etc etc..

I think Snyder will want a star Vet or the top qb coming out of draft to go with this new name…

I think it’s a big risk for RR to go that route, I think it’s a qb from round 1 either trade up or sit tight but for who I’ve no idea !!!

• Thumb up 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, DWinzit said:

In all fairness along with Waller, he had Josh Jacobs, Bryan Edwards, Hunter Renfrow and Ruggs then D Jax added. That is not chopped liver

I agree in terms of weapons on offense we are pretty even. The only thing Carr would be getting with us is a stronger offensive line which could be very useful since he fumbles the most out of all current qbs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Drafting and starting a rookie QB probably saves Ron’s job for another couple of years.

Yeah the Rookie needs to start at least half the year. Ron will be due for an extension after the 2023-24 season. Hes not coaching his final year on a deal without an extension. No one does. The rookie either looks good or Ron is gone.

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Yeah the Rookie needs to start at least half the year. Ron will be due for an extension after the 2023-24 season. Hes not coaching his final year on a deal without an extension. No one does. The rookie either looks good or Ron is gone.

Jason Garrett, I think went into his final year without a new contract. While it’s usually the case, a coach gets his contract extended; before it expires. That doesn’t always happen.

Kliff Kingsbury enters that situation next year. If he doesn’t get canned, I don’t see Arizona extend his contract. They will let him ride out his final year and then decide whether to reup or not.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Jason Garrett, I think went into his final year without a new contract. While it’s usually the case, a coach gets his contract extended; before it expires. That doesn’t always happen.

Kliff Kingsbury enters that situation next year. If he doesn’t get canned, I don’t see Arizona extend his contract. They will let him ride out his final year and then decide whether to reup or not.

I'd be shocked if it happened more than 5% of the time

Snyder has been a fairly patient owner over the years. Sure getting his hand in the cookie jar sometimes, but that's 

a common sports owner attribute everywhere. 

Gibbs was four.  

Zorn a too long two.

Shanahan was four. 

Gruden was five and a third.

Callahan an interim.

Rivera is comfortably getting through three, but a QB this year gets him to six years or more.

Plenty of reasons for them to make the big splash this offseason to buy all these guys a guaranteed fourth year with Washington and likely semi-guarantee the fifth and sixth outside of a Haskins bomb of a pick. 

Draft is still probably the most realistic option. That's why I don't pay too much attention to second rounders this year because that pick is for sure gone. You can say good bye to next year's first too. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Snyder has been a fairly patient owner over the years. Sure getting his hand in the cookie jar sometimes, but that's 

a common sports owner attribute everywhere. 

Gibbs was four.  

Zorn a too long two.

Shanahan was four. 

Gruden was five and a third.

Callahan an interim.

Rivera is comfortably getting through three, but a QB this year gets him to six years or more.

Plenty of reasons for them to make the big splash this offseason to buy all these guys a guaranteed fourth year with Washington and likely semi-guarantee the fifth and sixth outside of a Haskins bomb of a pick. 

Draft is still probably the most realistic option. That's why I don't pay too much attention to second rounders this year because that pick is for sure gone. You can say good bye to next year's first too. 

Going to be a hard sell if the QB struggles next year which is expected. 3 straight losing seasons. 5 or 6 in a row overall for Ron. If the QB is bad in 2023-24 season how can you extend Ron?

20 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I like the FO makeup for the most part

I dont understand how any one can say that. Resume wise its has to be a bottom 3-5 in the league between the collection of them. 

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Going to be a hard sell if the QB struggles next year which is expected. 3 straight losing seasons. 5 or 6 in a row overall for Ron. If the QB is bad in 2023-24 season how can you extend Ron?

I dont understand how any one can say that. Resume wise its has to be a bottom 3-5 in the league between the collection of them. 

Opinions vary. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrJL said:

do you think AGG is being drilled on Malik Wills?

Not sure how much info or insight he'd have; they weren't even at Liberty at the same time. AGG left for the NFL after his 2019 season and Malik Willis transfered to Liberty for the 2020 season. Maybe you mean just as an alum who might know him a bit?

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Provided the tier one QB'S don't make it here. I would be ok with a 3rd for Garoppolo which frees them up to go LB or Hamilton if he fell in the 1st and perhaps go QB/RB/FS/CB  in the 2nd.

That would be great.I think they could get more thrid for him. He plays at the level we need to win games. Other then the injury he would check all the boxes.

Edited by Redskins 2021

It is a frightening draft class to be balanced. Public opinion all over the place, so called expert analysts all riding a different horse. There are half a dozen draft prospects and you could pretty much take any of them and hope you have landed the right one.

Not an easy year to draft a QB. If nothing else it is essential you pick someone with the right football mentality. None of this Haskins **** where it’s clear there is no love or application for the game. 

With that in mind, if we go down the Trubisky, Mariota, Jimmy G route I can see some logic to that. You should also be rolling the dice in the draft as well. Then going back in for another in 2023. Got to keep digging for gold until you find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smooth said:

i would be all for getting jimmy G , or even Carr i do not want to go with mitch !  

Jimmy is closer to Mitch than Carr. 

13 hours ago, Zim489 said:

A losing season of 7-10 or 8-9? Doubt it. 

They need a few things to happen for this team to take another step outside of QB: a Mike linebacker, Chase Young does a 180°, Davis excels at OLB and Jackson has a CB1 year.

The defense needs to take a step. The concerning part is how much Chase Young's individual performance plays into that. But, if anyone can get this defense back on track, I do think they have the group for it. 

With an actual top 5 defense, I think you can almost carry a rookie QB to the playoffs with the support of this run game. 

20 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Jimmy is closer to Mitch than Carr. 

A losing season of 7-10 or 8-9? Doubt it. 

They need a few things to happen for this team to take another step outside of QB: a Mike linebacker, Chase Young does a 180°, Davis excels at OLB and Jackson has a CB1 year.

The defense needs to take a step. The concerning part is how much Chase Young's individual performance plays into that. But, if anyone can get this defense back on track, I do think they have the group for it. 

With an actual top 5 defense, I think you can almost carry a rookie QB to the playoffs with the support of this run game. 

I have little interest in competing for just the playoffs and the 5-7th seed. We’ve been here for 20 years. 

but still it’s going to be hard to sell a fan base on an extension after year 4 if the position isn’t fixed. The fan base is riled up after 2 already. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1