Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question for you guys

ThePackisback

That's a cool list Koolblue.  It seems that a lot of lists compiled in the present would have a recency effect and skew toward the newer winners, but that one does the opposite in recognizing that the pre-salary cap era teams were more dominant.  A #5 ranking for the '91 Skins is nothing to sneeze at. I've always thought the '91 team was probably more underrated by Skins fans themselves compared to the other Skins SB teams because the '91 team really didn't have that signature playoff moment against a dominant team of the era. The NFC playoff opponents we faced that year were inconsequential immediately before or after 1991. We did destroy a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB appearances, but so did the Cowboys two straight years afterwards.

The list has the '96 Pack at #9, and that's probably about right. That team I would consider to be one that was sort of in the middle of the transition between the pre- and post-cap eras, although, given the cap took hold in like '93 and '94, many would probably consider them to be a cap-era team. The '91 Skins did not have the mid-season hiccup the '96 Packers had, as Washington was 11-0 and had dominated a lot of their games before losing a game to the Cowboys which featured a Dallas hail mary at the end of the first half and some BS Emmitt Smith draw play TD earlier. And the second loss was the season finale at Philly after Gibbs called off the dogs.

But at least Raaaaaaaadgers got you another title in 2010. This thread was an inadvertent reminder that its been 30 seasons since our magical year. Thanks pal 😡

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 2

By the way Pack, the NFC teams the Skins dominated in the '91 playoffs were also ones the Skins dominated during the regular season.  The first game I went to in '91 was on a rainy day at RFK against Atlanta. This guy made an appearance that day (click link to watch on You Tube):

Edited by hail2skins
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

That's a cool list Koolblue.  It seems that a lot of lists compiled in the present would have a recency effect and skew toward the newer winners, but that one does the opposite in recognizing that the pre-salary cap era teams were more dominant.  A #5 ranking for the '91 Skins is nothing to sneeze at. I've always thought the '91 team was probably more underrated by Skins fans themselves compared to the other Skins SB teams because the '91 team really didn't have that signature playoff moment against a dominant team of the era. The NFC playoff opponents we faced that year were inconsequential immediately before or after 1991. We did destroy a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB appearances, but so did the Cowboys two straight years afterwards.

The list has the '96 Pack at #9, and that's probably about right. That team I would consider to be one that was sort of in the middle of the transition between the pre- and post-cap eras, although, given the cap took hold in like '93 and '94, many would probably consider them to be a cap-era team. The '91 Skins did not have the mid-season hiccup the '96 Packers had, as Washington was 11-0 and had dominated a lot of their games before losing a game to the Cowboys which featured a Dallas hail mary at the end of the first half and some BS Emmitt Smith draw play TD earlier. And the second loss was the season finale at Philly after Gibbs called off the dogs.

But at least Raaaaaaaadgers got you another title in 2010. This thread was an inadvertent reminder that its been 30 seasons since our magical year. Thanks pal 😡

You guys have almost as many SBs as us, nothing to be ashamed of my man. You guys are a classy franchise.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Pack didn't you used to be a teenager on our boards?  How old are now, son?

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

It can't be embedded, but click on the link where it says Watch on YouTube.

Ok I’ll check it out.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

It can't be embedded, but click on the link where it says Watch on YouTube.

You had to show me a video of Farve having a bad game. Now that’s not very nice LOL only joking.

People forget the historical context of the magnificent '91 Redskins team.

Let's take a moment to list some of those most obvious factors that really made the 14-2 season so great (it should have been 15-1 really. We let off the gas during the last game of the season).

• HIGHLY comptetive NFC East: Eagles were brutal, Giants had LT and had just won the SB, Dallas was rapidly becoming a threat.
  • The 49rs were an absolute juggernaut even when Montana was injured.
  • Bears were still respectable, as were the Saints (Falcons and Detroit were one trick ponies).
  • Bills destroyed practically every team they played that year and their offense was impressive.

The team dominated most opponents and belted out victories at New York, Dallas (both always diificult), Chicago, and also defeated the great Houston Oilers led by Warren Moon in a game for the decades. Every game was impressive. Luck played little part in the 14-2 record (the Oiler's game being the only clear case of having good luck to win).

The historic season was no fluke obviously. We had been playing very good football for years. The team was stacked.

Gibbs publicly dared Rypien to find the "fire in his belly" to lead the team to a SB win. QB was really the only question mark left.

Rypien deliverd under pressure and the rest is history.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That 91 team might have been the best single season team ever besides the undefeated 72 dolphins and 85 Bears, and I could make an argument that they were a more complete team than either.  I think the reason the 91 team often goes overlooked in the best-of discussions is because it really was a last hurrah of Gibbs 1.0 era aging vets and a bunch of young players that didn't necessarily pan out afterwards, and then being led by Rypien also hurts the cause.  However if we are merely having a discussion about isolated teams based on a single season I am not sure that I could put them any lower than the two teams already mentioned.  

• Like 2

I don't have any memories from that season - I was just an infant that year - but they pitched three shutouts in their first three home games (one against a team they'd face in the NFC Championship), started the season 11-0, and absolutely crushed a stacked Buffalo Bills team in Super Bowl XXVI.

And to be sure, this was a great *team*. The storyline about the 1991 team was about how lowkey and obscure most of them were. This was not a star-studded outfit but they played so well as a unit that they steamrolled over the competition throughout the season.

• Like 1

I was 12 years old when that SB happened and it was the only one of their three (SB wins) I could really appreciate.  The funny thing is, at the time, that was just par for the course the way my Dad talked about the team.  He was speaking in the context of the team just having been a force for the previous decade plus, so here I am as a just-about-teenage 'Skins fan thinking it would be a normal thing for the team to be a winner or at least in contention a ton.   Even the following year when they made the playoffs and lost in a sloppy game to the 49ers, I wasn't that down on things because I just figure "well, can't win the superbowl every year"  and then...............it's 2021 and I am 41 years old.

• Like 1

I think I was in 3rd grade for that 1991 team.   Lots of fun memories from that team and it seemed like we were great, but I was too young to really take in any nuance.  In terms of the 1996 Packers I remember they were really good, but they were not my team so I didn't follow them close enough to really judge them.  In my mind the 1991 Redskins were better but that is a gut reaction opinion rather than an informed one.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I was 12 years old when that SB happened and it was the only one of their three (SB wins) I could really appreciate.  The funny thing is, at the time, that was just par for the course the way my Dad talked about the team.  He was speaking in the context of the team just having been a force for the previous decade plus, so here I am as a just-about-teenage 'Skins fan thinking it would be a normal thing for the team to be a winner or at least in contention a ton.   Even the following year when they made the playoffs and lost in a sloppy game to the 49ers, I wasn't that down on things because I just figure "well, can't win the superbowl every year"  and then...............it's 2021 and I am 41 years old.

You guys will be back soon. Keep your chins up.