Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If its basic and guys are still confused than something is wrong.

It's basic in the sense that it doesnt disguise formations or do anything in the way of pre-snap motion or exotic blitzing.  Hell, we rarely even stunt the tackles.  It's complex in the sense that each level of the defense--line, LB, secondary, operates almost independently of the whole with separate and sometimes overlapping responsibilities.  As a result, the communication needs to happen and if it doesn't people are wide open down the seam, etc.  It's just an awful, awful system combining the worst elements of basic with the worst elements of complex.  

• Like 1

Not a good look to put the blame on one guy that play when you see poor angles, poor effort on that play by multiple guys on the back end.  One player gets blocked in the back by Hockenson.  Either St, Juste or Forest.  But the other four back there should have picked up Swift before he crossed the first down marker.  Were both lbs supposed to rush?  Was one supposed to drop back?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ironically we've actually been pretty good thus far on 3rd downs through two games. I think only allowing something like 25%.

The problem again is giving up huge chunk plays , primarily due to poor scheme/miscommunication.

There are barely third downs to defend anymore...most of the time the offense only needs first and second down to get 10 yards...The Jags averaged 6.2 yards per play week 1...the Lions averaged 7.0 per play...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

Who did Rivera just call out on the swift fall down td?

Watching the replay and listening to RR, I’m wondering if Sweat was supposed to drop back on that.  🤷‍♂️  He’s the only one on the front six that would have made any sense in that situation (Holcomb and Divis were coming up the middle).  Unless he was referring to someone in the back five should have charged up when he released.  Or Holcomb or Davis were supposed to show blitz, then retreat.  Regardless, the play was there to be made by the back five.

Edit:  Forest is the guy who gets blocked in the back by Hockenson.  If someone was supposed to pick Swift if he came out to the right, it should have been him.  That’s more likely the guy Rivera is calling out.

Edited by Ball Security

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Can Rivera coach the defense? Do we need JDR? I see plenty of head coaches calling plays in the NFL.

Makes sense, but...yeah, no thanks.

Ron's having continuous year-to-year problems with his current duties.  No reason to add to them.  If anything, he should be subtracting them right now.

Ship is starting to take on water.  Honeymoon is definitely over.  

In the past couple years, we had a stretch of losses that made it look like the playoffs were out of reach. 2 years ago we made a run to get us the division. Last year, we came up a bit short but it was our defense that got us the 7 wins. 

The game yesterday hopefully is that point that catapults the defense to playing better. Jamin played better and was used a bit different. We haven’t had Kam who is arguably our best secondary defender. Holcomb is only in his 2nd game as the MLB communicating to the players what he is seeing. 

Im not saying the defense will turn it around but let’s give it a couple more games before there is absolute mutiny onboard with the coaches and the players. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

Gruden used to talk about the same problems on defense...."it was 6 explosive plays"  OR  "we had one guy not do his job, but it was a different guy each time"

The first step to solving the problem is to admit the problem....sounds like We're a long ways off from Rivera admitting the real problems.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Conn said:

I know this is abnormal but it just drives home that we have nobody clutch like this. We can’t even catch an INT period, meanwhile Bucs have a reserve with 3 pick-6’s in limited snaps in his short career.

I believe we have playmakers.  The dl needs to be more imaginative presnap instead of perpetually relying on 1on1 victories.  If we would just at least give different front looks, move sweat around, put our guys in position to hunt successfully; the big plays will organically happen.  We’re too passive.  We have dogs.  Right now they’re leashed and it’s frustrating to watch

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Gruden used to talk about the same problems on defense...."it was 6 explosive plays"  OR  "we had one guy not do his job, but it was a different guy each time"

The first step to solving the problem is to admit the problem....sounds like We're a long ways off from Rivera admitting the real problems.   

Or maybe he isn't going to admit it to the media because there's no benefit of doing that. 

Actions will speak louder than words.  We'll see if he does anything.  

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Or maybe he isn't going to admit it to the media because there's no benefit of doing that. 

Actions will speak louder than words.  We'll see if he does anything.  

I haven't seen many actions for 2+ years.  And when we do see something, like Sam Mills, it's much later than it needed to happen.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ironically we've actually been pretty good thus far on 3rd downs through two games. I think only allowing something like 25%.

The problem again is giving up huge chunk plays , primarily due to poor scheme/miscommunication.

Can’t have a historically bad 3rd down % if they score on a big play before they make it to 3rd down

Patrick Dangerfield Thinking GIF by geelongcats

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 6

Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread but it looks like we claimed John Ridgeway and already cut Jeter. With Wise apparently hurt, we need backup tackles and hopefully Ridgeway can become an important rotational guy. Some boards had him ranked just below Mathis coming out this past draft so hopefully he can provide some help. Cowboys had to cut him to make room for Cooper Rush. 

Surprised to see Jeter gone already. He was 91 chasing after Swift on that one play. I guess they prefer that kid Potatoe over him. 

Regardless, the decision to let Matt Ionandis and Settle leave has come back to haunt us. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

In the past couple years, we had a stretch of losses that made it look like the playoffs were out of reach. 2 years ago we made a run to get us the division. Last year, we came up a bit short but it was our defense that got us the 7 wins. 

The game yesterday hopefully is that point that catapults the defense to playing better. Jamin played better and was used a bit different. We haven’t had Kam who is arguably our best secondary defender. Holcomb is only in his 2nd game as the MLB communicating to the players what he is seeing. 

Im not saying the defense will turn it around but let’s give it a couple more games before there is absolute mutiny onboard with the coaches and the players. 

This is a fair post. Most fans including myself tend to overreact early in the season. Weird **** happens early in seasons. The great Cleveland defense that everyone raves gave up 31 points to Joe Flaco yesterday.

• Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Would that be "Coach One Reason or Another" also know as JDR? 

Honestly to me, that reads that the defense was in the right call but for some reason...they did not make the play.  I read that as there were individual breakdowns by the moving parts on the field (aka players).

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm just looking at things. And I want to say this is based on us having a good offense. Yesterday we gave up 425 yards total. I went and looked up teams that gave up 425 yards last year to get a comparison. 

22 Times the losing team had 425 yards. 

68 Times the winning team had 425 yards. 

11 Times where both teams had more than 425.

That's out of a total of 285 games. I stand by what I was saying earlier about our offense pulling us to victories. 425 isn't a magic number and I could have easily said 400 or 450 but the key is that the more explosive your offense is the more likely you are to win games. 

Look at how many points we scored this week compared to most of the other teams that won. Not many scored more than we did, we should be winning these games.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

No defensive coordinator can coach a defense on a team with 3 linebackers 3 of which wouldnt be starters on any other teams. 

Disagree.  We lack imagination, creativity and togetherness.  Things a different set of eyes could effect in a tremendous way given an opportunity 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

Just now, Stone Cold said:

Disagree.  We lack imagination, creativity and togetherness.  Things a different set of eyes could effect in a tremendous way given an opportunity 🤷‍♂️ 

Disagree based on what? what kind of imagination do u want with tier 3 players starting all three line backer positions? Its a huge liability and nothing was done to address the problem .

You get imaginative in your approach to apply pressure.  You mix up personnel groupings (even within same formations) to create thoughts in the offense.  You don’t give them the same garbage over and over hoping your touted dl wins 1v1 matchups.  The nfl doesn’t work that way.  You line up Davis all over the place and tell him to hunt the qb for starters.  You do whatever it takes to relentlessly apply pressure.  It can be coached.  See Pittsburgh 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

You get imaginative in your approach to apply pressure.  You mix up personnel groupings (even within same formations) to create thoughts in the offense.  You don’t give them the same garbage over and over hoping your touted dl wins 1v1 matchups.  The nfl doesn’t work that way.  You line up Davis all over the place and tell him to hunt the qb for starters.  You do whatever it takes to relentlessly apply pressure.  It can be coached.  See Pittsburgh 

Pittsburgh has one of the most consistently talented defenses across their entire depth chart. They have arguably the best pass rusher in the league, and arguably the best FS in the league, along with good LB’s and many other good to great players 

• Thumb up 1