Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

53 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

JDR is an ass.

Jamim Davis, and I really liked him in the draft, is serious bust material right now. Here’s hoping for a fast upturn.

I'd just settle for him developing into a mid-range starter at this point. 

The FO/coaches not making LB a priority this year is football malpractice. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Both things are true here, Jamin has been disappointing and JDR was a dick about it.  Add his “ask the scouts” line about the new DT into the mix and he sure sounds like a guy saying “it ain’t my fault” without saying the words “it ain’t my fault”. 

Hopefully, he'll be told his services are no longer needed. He's been a huge disappointment as a DC.

• Like 4
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Jamin's 40 time means nothing in relation to this.

So either don't be in a base defense against that personnel or don't play zone.    

You said its lunacy that JDR called out Jamin. What’s the problem with him doing that? I don’t get all of you who is calling JDR a d&*@ because he called him out. This is football not Ted Lasso. Jamin needs to step it up and right away. 

So you want to replace Jamin with a corner? Then our run defense suffers. Or do you want Jamin to go man against a slot receiver? He’ll get burnt every time. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, TheShredder said:

Of course.

The RR Company didn't want to pay him because he can't cover as well as he can play close to the line. Collins thinks he's a DB, but he's a 3rd LB'er. They are too far off with his value to make a deal. WSH is the loser because they could pay a little more for a rental and get a guy that already knows the plays, helps solves depth issues, and is playing for a contract. Might want 10M/yr or something? Just a guess, but clearly he believes a S will go down somewhere and he'll get a call.

Collins is not worth much more than 3-5 mil a year. And no team will go above that

3 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

You said its lunacy that JDR called out Jamin. What’s the problem with him doing that? I don’t get all of you who is calling JDR a d&*@ because he called him out. This is football not Ted Lasso. Jamin needs to step it up and right away. 

So you want to replace Jamin with a corner? Then our run defense suffers. Or do you want Jamin to go man against a slot receiver? He’ll get burnt every time. 

You don't do it publicly. You keep stuff like that in house.

You ever hear Bellicheck call a guy out publicly? Never happens. No good coach does. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You ever hear Bellicheck call a guy out publicly? Never happens. No good coach does. 

Parcells was a pretty good coach and he would call out players all the time. JDR normally doesn’t do that but it may have been necessary. There’s obviously some things behind the scene going on with him that we are not aware of. The coaches have been cuddling the guy since he was drafted. Maybe he doesn’t have the work ethic needed to develop. 

Im completely fine with him being called out. We need Jamin to play well if this season is going somewhere. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Especially a young inexperienced player. 

Maybe he knows what he's doing, maybe this is exactly what Jamin needs... But My gut feeling is that is not so

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think it is crazy to call players out.

Didn't RIvera spend like half of last season saying his ends were playing outside the scheme and that it needed to stop? That was Young's 2nd year so he was in the same spot as Jamin

Some guys you gotta nurture and pander and tell them they are special.

Other guys need that tough love and an extra dose of reality.

Some guys gotta get benched or moved to a new team before they see the light

Different guys need a kick in the pants in different ways. Giving a dude an ego nut tap by letting the media know you didn't like his play might be the push some young guys need. Maybe he works twice as hard at memorizing opponents plays n the next film sesh.

Usually that method is used for guys who are having behavior issues (like not falling in lline and playing in a scheme) but it can certainly work in other applications.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

My issue is with JDR calling him out for not covering Kirk better.   Especially when JDR's defense has been mostly trash when going up against any decent offense...including 2020.

I just went back to look at the 3 catches Kirk had against Jamin.   It didn't appear to be zone coverage at all.   The problem is that they treated Evan Engram is a TE; when he's really a big WR.    Also, on two of those catches, JDR brought a blitz; which exposed Jamin even more.  

Jags would go with 3 WR's and Engram, so essentially splitting out 4 WR's.    We had 3 CB's out there and two Safeties playing cover two.

JDR had several options...

1)  use a Safety on Engram and movie Jamin inside and play man to man with a single high Safety.

2) Take Jamin off the field and bring in Butler or Reeves.   If you look at the 3 catches by Kirk, running the ball is not a big threat in those situations.   The first catch was with about 1:30 left in the first half and Jags on their own 35.   2nd catch was in the red zone (Could have easily used another Safety there and moved Jain inside to deal with the run threat).

The 3rd catch was on a 2nd and 22.  Let them run it for 8 yards as opposed to completing a 17 yard pass because Jamin is lost out there.

By the way, I'm no Jamin fan.  His problems go way beyond not being able to cover WR's.

Edited by FLSkinz83
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

JDR is an ass.

Jamim Davis, and I really liked him in the draft, is serious bust material right now. Here’s hoping for a fast upturn.

I am with you on Davis. He hasn't lived up to his draft spot by any means. Not his fault. I totally put this pick on RR and personal hubris. But I fault both JDR and RR for the poor state of our LB room as it stands. I think Hurney and Mayhew need to overrule RR and hire a LB coach immediately. Someone with juice like London Fletcher. Though, I heard Fletch say this week, that he is happy with his gig with Julie and Santana, and playing golf everyday.

56 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I am with you on Davis. He hasn't lived up to his draft spot by any means. Not his fault. I totally put this pick on RR and personal hubris. But I fault both JDR and RR for the poor state of our LB room as it stands. I think Hurney and Mayhew need to overrule RR and hire a LB coach immediately. Someone with juice like London Fletcher. Though, I heard Fletch say this week, that he is happy with his gig with Julie and Santana, and playing golf everyday.

Yeah I watched that show and London looked perfectly content to sit in that chair and interview players. It’s a grind, I don’t blame him one bit. 

• Like 1

I've been a del rio supporter but my opinion of him is waning.

I was less than impressed with that press conference. 

I understand his frustration with the media, it feels like lately all they want to be is antagonists and go after the juicy gossip rather than real football stuff but he really doesn't handle it well.

He should take a lot of notes from Rivera. 

some in the past here seem to equate good coverage with playing more man.  But its a zone dominated league for a reason.    I recall last season Keim said they started playing more man than the previous season and it didnt go well so they went heavier zone and improved.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Both things are true here, Jamin has been disappointing and JDR was a dick about it.  Add his “ask the scouts” line about the new DT into the mix and he sure sounds like a guy saying “it ain’t my fault” without saying the words “it ain’t my fault”. 

a dude i think his last name is Cunningham who was at camp and has a new show on 106.7 and does postgame at times has said talking to people in camp, he's learned two things.

A. Del Rio and Rivera have currently some serious tension among them and he doesn't think that marriage lasts.

B.  Del Rio has extra ties to Jamin's success because he was the one who pounded the table to take Jamin at 19, Rivera had reservations about the pick but rided with Del Rio's thoughts.

As for point B, I suspected as much, I posted on that during camp because of some of the things Del Rio said. 

• Like 2

I actually don't mind Del Rio calling Jamin out.  His issue according to some beat guys from what they heard is play recognition.  And I gather some of that can be rectified via film study.  So I don't mind Jamin getting a kick in the pants.  

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

If that's true then I'm in the del rio has to go camp.

Can't have friction between the head coach and a coordinator.

Yeah this guy has said now multiple times there is tension and they don't see eye to eye on the defense.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

My issue is with JDR calling him out for not covering Kirk better.   Especially when JDR's defense has been mostly trash when going up against any decent offense...including 2020.

Okay fair enough. I thought you were saying that it is lunacy that a coach actually called out a player. This “participation trophy” mindset is something I just don’t get. This is the pros and Jamin is not a kid playing in peewee football. He’s making millions playing a child’s game. He needs to strap it up and play better.

It’s not like JDR said Jamin was completely awful. He said he was okay but needed to play better. 

As for him covering Kirk, I agree that’s not ideal. But do you think it may have had something to do with how Pedersen drew up a scheme to gain a mismatch? It happened a few times throughout the game but it wasn’t the norm.  The coverage by Jamin on Eitnenne was really bad! Linebackers are expected to be able to cover backs and Jamin completely failed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

some in the past here seem to equate good coverage with playing more man.  But its a zone dominated league for a reason.    I recall last season Keim said they started playing more man than the previous season and it didnt go well so they went heavier zone and improved.

If that's the case and I'm not saying it's not, then why on earth did we sign a man CB and pay him 15 mil per?    Especially when you consider the history of the Carolina crew not spending high picks and big money on CB's?      I'm baffled.

22 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If that's the case and I'm not saying it's not, then why on earth did we sign a man CB and pay him 15 mil per?    Especially when you consider the history of the Carolina crew not spending high picks and big money on CB's?      I'm baffled.

Whar's baffiling to me is at least according to Keim is they played more man early last season, and Jackson didn't play well at man either so switched to heavier zone ala the previous season (2020) where their coverage was better.  If I recall his PFF score was worse playing man than zone. 

No doubt there is a narrative that Jackson is lost playing zone.  But it might be burying the lead which is maybe Jackson simply isn't that good.  I don't know. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1