Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

40 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How did you come to the conclusion he’s been terrible in Denver? Him being injured for much of the year?

Three reasons. He's played 5 games at 98% of snaps so it's a fairly sizeable sample. I've watched him play and get burned by the same double moves. His numbers are more inline with previous seasons and, while admittedly he had a solid game against Denver, he needed it to lower the QBR against him to 91.9. He's an average at best corner.

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Three reasons. He's played 5 games at 98% of snaps so it's a fairly sizeable sample. I've watched him play and get burned by the same double moves. His numbers are more inline with previous seasons and, while admittedly he had a solid game against Denver, he needed it to lower the QBR against him to 91.9. He's an average at best corner.

Interesting, I thought he was easily the teams best player in the secondary last year. Wonder why he’s struggling in Denver. The reports seem to be positive on him there locally. 

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Interesting, I thought he was easily the teams best player in the secondary last year. Wonder why he’s struggling in Denver. The reports seem to be positive on him there locally. 

He was, but that wasn't really saying a whole lot. I do think a lot of that has to do with the quality of QBs we faced, but even last year he got caught watching the play in man and got burned. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He was, but that wasn't really saying a whole lot. I do think a lot of that has to do with the quality of QBs we faced, but even last year he got caught watching the play in man and got burned. 

Hmm… I just assume all corners get beat these days. The rate of TDs thrown these days are wild. 

How many deep balls did he get beat on in comparison to other corners? I ask because I valued most that he could run with any WR and had the size to compete physically with bigger WRs. Not a twitchy or extremely flexible guy but an elite overall athlete. 

Alright, we can do talking about him after this lol When 2-6 this kind of discussion is acceptable. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Hmm… I just assume all corners get beat these days. The rate of TDs thrown these days are wild. 

How many deep balls did he get beat on in comparison to other corners? I ask because I valued most that he could run with any WR and had the size to compete physically with bigger WRs. Not a twitchy or extremely flexible guy but an elite overall athlete. 

Alright, we can do talking about him after this lol When 2-6 this kind of discussion is acceptable. 

He's got the tools, but from what I learned from my watching is that he does get fooled a lot by double moves and sometimes just gets caught watching the play. I guess it's the plight of being on an island is how egregious mistakes look, but he just seemed like a cornerback to me. Nothing special, nothing elite, just competent enough to make himself respectful with the front 4. I don't think he'd be any different than WM3 this year.

Anyone see the Dolphins defense last night? They were flying all around the field and constantly in Lamar Jacksons mug. They came at him in waves and made him make quick decisions with the ball while under duress. Has to make you wonder why we can't play defense like that, uber aggressive and physical. I like Miami's head coach and hope he succeeds down there. It looks like the players really play hard for him. I hope our guys were watching that performance last night and try and emulate it on Sunday. It would be great to knock Brady out of the game...could set the tone for a better second half of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Anyone see the Dolphins defense last night? They were flying all around the field and constantly in Lamar Jacksons mug. They came at him in waves and made him make quick decisions with the ball while under duress. Has to make you wonder why we can't play defense like that, uber aggressive and physical. I like Miami's head coach and hope he succeeds down there. It looks like the players really play hard for him. I hope our guys were watching that performance last night and try and emulate it on Sunday. It would be great to knock Brady out of the game...could set the tone for a better second half of the season. 

Yeah it was an awesome performance. It must be nice to actually regularly get pressure on the QB.

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah it was an awesome performance. It must be nice to actually regularly get pressure on the QB.

We're in the top half of the league in hurries, blitzing, pressures, and yes it is nice. Be even nicer if our coverage breakdowns stopped happening and that started translating to more sacks. It would also be nice if the offense would score points so teams weren't able to run the ball or play it safe against us.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

• Haha 9

I never see this front 4 with stunts. I don't know if JDR thinks they don't need to be creative given the talent but I think getting Chase in a stunt might improve his production. Also, I think it would only enhance what Payne and Allen have been doing, which has been very good frankly

17 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I never see this front 4 with stunts. I don't know if JDR thinks they don't need to be creative given the talent but I think getting Chase in a stunt might improve his production. Also, I think it would only enhance what Payne and Allen have been doing, which has been very good frankly

We do it a lot. It's not the blitzing (we do it a lot), not the pressures (we're top 10), not the hurries (we're top 10). It's not the creativity or the gameplan. 

It's the coverage. It's an injured 3rd round rookie. It's a FS that doesn't understand assignments. It's a FA CB we brought in that also doesn't get it and has been injured. It's a rookie LBer that is learning his A Gap blitzing or his coverage. 

• Like 4

The Dolphins play so much man coverage and they have the corners to do it.  They are fairly unique in style because of that, and it can be shockingly effective when everything clicks for them like it did Thursday.  And that young safety duo looked ferocious.  Jevon Holland had a coming out party, he was incredibly aggressive in coverage and on his blitzes and everything was working for him that night.  They've got a nice little DL coming together too between Ogbah, Wilkins, and Phillips.  They've spent a lot of draft resources on that group, kind of like we have but not to quite the same extent.

Flores looks like an excellent defensive coach, we'll see about head coaching, but his defense looks strong.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Dolphins play so much man coverage and they have the corners to do it.  They are fairly unique in style because of that, and it can be shockingly effective when everything clicks for them like it did Thursday.  And that young safety duo looked ferocious.  Jevon Holland had a coming out party, he was incredibly aggressive in coverage and on his blitzes and everything was working for him that night.  They've got a nice little DL coming together too between Ogbah, Wilkins, and Phillips.  They've spent a lot of draft resources on that group, kind of like we have but not to quite the same extent.

Flores looks like an excellent defensive coach, we'll see about head coaching, but his defense looks strong.

When Xavier Howard was being shopped as trade bait, I'd have made some kind of an offer. He's unreal.

6 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I don't know why we don't move Chase around more, even inside if need be. Can't help but think of how the Giants and Eagles moved LT and Reggie White all over the LOS to take advantage of mismatches and give the offense different looks. That way, teams would have to constantly change their protection packages depending on where Chase and others line up. Why not play Allen at end sometimes with Ion and Payne in the middle? Beat up the opponents offensive line and switch up the looks. How much of this do we do?

On 11/12/2021 at 7:44 AM, kingdaddy said:

I feel bad for Flores. He is a good coach working for a ****ty front office

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know why we don't move Chase around more, even inside if need be. Can't help but think of how the Giants and Eagles moved LT and Reggie White all over the LOS to take advantage of mismatches and give the offense different looks. That way, teams would have to constantly change their protection packages depending on where Chase and others line up. Why not play Allen at end sometimes with Ion and Payne in the middle? Beat up the opponents offensive line and switch up the looks. How much of this do we do?

I believe they have moved him inside at times

3 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

“I was making money, baby”

What a tone deaf child. Why do I even care to watch. 

I watch the football life with Steve Largent yesterday, what a different time and athlete

I feel the same about this. That "making money" comment has just completely soured me on him, just the way it has for many other players like him. 

In addition to our organization being an inextinguishable dumpster fire since Snyder took over, the attitudes of the players throughout the league has really made my overall interest in the NFL wane. Instead of playing for the love of the game, having loyalty to their team, and feeling like every other team is the enemy, they now worry more about their brand, and think about themselves as a brotherhood, rather than opponents. Win or lose, they're all smiling after the game, trading jerseys with each other, and thinking about those game checks getting depositing into their accounts. There are no more Jack Lamberts, Lyle Alzados, etc. The league's rivalries are alive in the standings columns still, but does anyone really get more excited for Washington-Dallas week or Raiders-Chiefs week any more than other games on the schedule? No, because we don't anticipate seeing a violent confrontation between teams that hate each other anymore.

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

I feel the same about this. That "making money" comment has just completely soured me on him, just the way it has for many other players like him. 

In addition to our organization being an inextinguishable dumpster fire since Snyder took over, the attitudes of the players throughout the league has really made my overall interest in the NFL wane. Instead of playing for the love of the game, having loyalty to their team, and feeling like every other team is the enemy, they now worry more about their brand, and think about themselves as a brotherhood, rather than opponents. Win or lose, they're all smiling after the game, trading jerseys with each other, and thinking about those game checks getting depositing into their accounts. There are no more Jack Lamberts, Lyle Alzados, etc. The league's rivalries are alive in the standings columns still, but does anyone really get more excited for Washington-Dallas week or Raiders-Chiefs week any more than other games on the schedule? No, because we don't anticipate seeing a violent confrontation between teams that hate each other anymore.

ok boomer

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

Serious question.

Why was our Defense so much more effective today? 

Kam Curl stuck out a little more today... were there any big adjustments other than Sweat being out?

Normally, JDR plans a Vanilla defensive scheme.... today, did he put some sprinkles on the vanilla?

are we actually, ahem, better without our 2021-2022 NFL Sack-Leading tandem?

12 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

“I was making money, baby”

What a tone deaf child. Why do I even care to watch. 

I watch the football life with Steve Largent yesterday, what a different time and athlete

29-19. THAT is why you care to watch ;) 

i dont blame you for not watching though 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

17 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Serious question.

Kam Curl stuck out a little more today... were there any big adjustments other than Sweat being out?

Normally, JDR plans a Vanilla defensive scheme.... today, did he put some sprinkles on the vanilla?

I think the two early gifts from Brady and the impending two possession lead at 13-0 shows how different a team can be with the lead versus against it. There was constant pressure on Brady and rarely did he have time to throw deep. I don’t think Tampa planned a good game today to be honest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

The offense owned time of possession, the best defense is keeping the other offense off the field.

The Bucs TD drives were on short fields, when the D was thrown right back out there.  This has been the biggest problem all season to me.

• Like 2

Jonathon Allen is going to the ProBowl this year. He is unstoppable.

3 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Serious question.

I think with Curl playing full time at SS it's giving us more belief in ourselves and better communication. McCain is coming around and understanding the scheme better, which Ron has brought up a few times. Davis is getting better. Allen and Payne are absolute monsters and play off each other incredibly well.

We do not run a vanilla scheme.

I liked what Casey Toohill did too. Guy got his name brought up on two tackles where he was doing some coverage.

As much as Chase's injury sucks, it's good to see backups come out and play like Offspring.

Also like Fuller, had another good game to me, except on that Evans' TD, but well I would think it's acceptable to be beat by Brady/Evans once a game.