Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 Preseason - Washington Football Team @ New England Patriots

zCommander
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.74ffd521092fe3f4bae75d218b1df7db.png

44 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

The offense looked bad? I thought our starters looked fine and much better than last year because Fitz actually runs an NFL offense. 

You guys saying our offense looked bad I must have watched a different game. 

I agree, Fitz was efficient, only threw 8 pass and had 2 completions over 20 yards.  The run game was solid on 1st down which has been an issue for us for years.  We had more yards and 1st downs than the Pats.

Considering how young  we are and how many new players we have I think it was fine for a preseason game 1.  Reading too much into this game seems silly.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 6

Jamin has work to do, we knew this going in. We gotta stay patient with all this stuff.  We Have no idea what situations and buttons they are pushing regarding each player. Patience. Love the fact Cosmi and Charles played a ton, ditto for Jamin. I think it’s all gonna really help them long term.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree, Fitz was efficient, only threw 8 pass and had 2 completions over 20 yards.  The run game was solid on 1st down which has been an issue for us for years.  We had more yards and 1st downs than the Pats.

It was so far from "bad" or "terrible" it makes me question peoples ability to understand what is going on during a football game if they feel that way. 

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Jamin has work to do, we knew this going in. We gotta stay patient with all this stuff.  We Have no idea what situations and buttons they are pushing regarding each player. Patience. 

He was hesitant on a lot of plays, but over all not a bad first outing imo

• Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised when they showed the first half stats just before the 3rd quarter because I didn't quite expect them to be as tilted our way as they were.

We led in rushing yards and passing yards we also had a huge advantage in time of possession but what really jumped off the page was 3rd down conversions.

They were 1 for 5 and we were 7 for 11 if I remember correctly. 

Not only is that a good 3rd down conversion but it's something we've struggled with for a long time so it was refreshing to see.

And since I hold so little stock in the second half of pre season games I look at those stats as the ones that really mattered in the game.

• Like 5

Really only a few bad things from last night, and I wont overreact but it does worry me a bit:

Barber will give you 1 yard every time, regardless of needing 1 or 2(For all that's holy give the ball to Patterson again, he would have gotten in as well)

Our defense still seems to lack the speed  needed to run sideline to sideline BUT that front and edge push...just wow

I love DHop and backed sticking with him last season through his struggles but it's time to make some competition

The gunners and blockers seemed lackadaisical at times during kick/punt coverages 

I never want to see Steven Montez in a game again, I know he ran an ok drive to end the game but that doesn't make up for how bad he was since mid-way through 3rd quarter

Postives:

No injuries

Chase Young is a monster, we all knew it...he just reminded us in 3 1/2 minutes

Fitz and Terry seem to already have a connection, it's been a long time since we've seen a route like that hit the receiver in stride

Patterson may be the second best back on the team

Sammis and Bates both showed they have potential but need time to grow

St Juste looks ready to play

I loved the misdirection pre-snap out of the backfield

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Really only a few bad things from last night, and I wont overreact but it does worry me a bit:

Barber will give you 1 yard every time, regardless of needing 1 or 2(For all that's holy give the ball to Patterson again, he would have gotten in as well)

Our defense still seems to lack the speed  needed to run sideline to sideline BUT that front and edge push...just wow

I love DHop and backed sticking with him last season through his struggles but it's time to make some competition

The gunners and blockers seemed lackadaisical at times during kick/punt coverages 

I never want to see Steven Montez in a game again, I know he ran an ok drive to end the game but that doesn't make up for how bad he was since mid-way through 3rd quarter

Postives:

No injuries

Chase Young is a monster, we all knew it...he just reminded us in 3 1/2 minutes

Fitz and Terry seem to already have a connection, it's been a long time since we've seen a route like that hit the receiver in stride

Patterson may be the second best back on the team

Sammis and Bates both showed they have potential but need time to grow

St Juste looks ready to play

I loved the misdirection pre-snap out of the backfield

"I loved the misdirection pre-snap out of the backfield"

Adding Samual will only add to the pre snap misdirection. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm more focused on the score

If he puts that up week in and week out, he will render all stud detectors in the tri-state area useless regardless of his ranking against his peers.

He does not get style points, but he got the job done

Ahhh, good point and approach about being focused on the score, not the ranking.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Considering how young  we are and how many new players we have I think it was fine for a preseason game 1.  Reading too much into this game seems silly.

I think that some of us are gun-shy because the other 31 teams and the rest of the 17 - 21 games we have this season aren't gonna consider our context.  The records don't say, "but keep in mind they're a young team."

That's not to mock you or that view, I just think I'm not alone in wanting to get rid of these qualifying statements and just say "we are incredible and happen to be young", you know?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thelongestbreath said:

It is highly relevant to note, that this was his first NFL action ever, whether it be preseason or regular.

And he also showed improvement within the game.

He's not going to stay the same player he was, in the first series or 2.

I'm kind of stating the obvious, but the obvious had to be stated in this case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It is highly relevant to note, that this was his first NFL action ever, whether it be preseason or regular.

And he also showed improvement within the game.

He's not going to stay the same player he was, in the first series or 2.

I'm kind of stating the obvious, but the obvious had to be stated in this case.

He improved as the quality of defense he was facing continued to drop.  I understand your statement, and agree within reason.  However, he has a deer in the headlights glaze in his eyes that reminded me a lot of Ramsey after Spurrier ruined him.  It showed when he was entering the game, anytime pressure set on him, anytime he scrambled...it's not that he doesn't have talent he seems too scared to play the position.  Is that something he'll outgrow...maybe and I hope he does but I'm not holding my breath while I patiently wait for Kyle Allen to come back from injury and take his job.  He also committed a serious QB no-no when he led AGG into what would have been an on field murder, had the rules not been there to protect the receiver.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

He improved as the quality of defense he was facing continued to drop.  I understand your statement, and agree within reason.  However, he has a deer in the headlights glaze in his eyes that reminded me a lot of Ramsey after Spurrier ruined him.  It showed when he was entering the game, anytime pressure set on him, anytime he scrambled...it's not that he doesn't have talent he seems too scared to play the position.  Is that something he'll outgrow...maybe and I hope he does but I'm not holding my breath while I patiently wait for Kyle Allen to come back from injury and take his job.  He also committed a serious QB no-no when he led AGG into what would have been an on field murder, had the rules not been there to protect the receiver.

I actually agree with most of your points, but keep in mind that we’re not just talking about a developmental guy that has had very little PT, but also a 3rd stringer who’s reps in camp are few and far between, missed OTAs - Jordan Ta’amu was signed to throw - and didn’t have any offseason last year.  In other words, he’s arguably in a worse spot than even UDFA qbs this year… they’ve at least played recently.  The fact he settled down a bit is actually a nice feather in his cap, particularly as he ended his outing with 2 really nice plays to the endzone in a high pressure situation.  

I feel like I should also point out 1) that 2 of his best plays - the 3rd down conversion to Patterson and the TD - were both thrown while scrambling, and 2) yes he played better against 3rd stringers… but he’s actually our 4th string qb (even if he’s been our de facto 3rd string qb the past two weeks).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I feel like I should also point out 1) that 2 of his best plays - the 3rd down conversion to Patterson and the TD - were both thrown while scrambling

And then the consecutive throw for the 2-pointer to AGG, was also pretty impressive, whether it was technically a score or not.

We've had QB's with much more experience, struggle with that type of throw.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I actually agree with most of your points, but keep in mind that we’re not just talking about a developmental guy that has had very little PT, but also a 3rd stringer who’s reps in camp are few and far between, missed OTAs - Jordan Ta’amu was signed to throw - and didn’t have any offseason last year.  In other words, he’s arguably in a worse spot than even UDFA qbs this year… they’ve at least played recently.  The fact he settled down a bit is actually a nice feather in his cap, particularly as he ended his outing with 2 really nice plays to the endzone in a high pressure situation.  

I feel like I should also point out 1) that 2 of his best plays - the 3rd down conversion to Patterson and the TD - were both thrown while scrambling, and 2) yes he played better against 3rd stringers… but he’s actually our 4th string qb (even if he’s been our de facto 3rd string qb the past two weeks).

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And then the consecutive throw for the 2-pointer to AGG, was also pretty impressive, whether it was technically a score or not.

We've had QB's with much more experience, struggle with that type of throw.

The throw to Patterson(I'll give him credit for finding him during the scramble) was IMHO more on Patterson's adjustment to the ball, than Montez's throw to him.  The TD in the back of the end zone and the best throw he had all night to AGG absolutely deserves some credit(which is why I acknowledged he has some talent).  I'd like nothing more than to be wrong, but I feel we are wasting valuable space with him on the team(also ignoring him being bad for most of the game does not bode well for those trying to make the team as a receiver).

11 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

The throw to Patterson(I'll give him credit for finding him during the scramble) was IMHO more on Patterson's adjustment to the ball, than Montez's throw to him.  The TD in the back of the end zone and the best throw he had all night to AGG absolutely deserves some credit(which is why I acknowledged he has some talent).  I'd like nothing more than to be wrong, but I feel we are wasting valuable space with him on the team(also ignoring him being bad for most of the game does not bode well for those trying to make the team as a receiver).

I wasn't not pronouncing him as a rising star. I was just saying it's way too early to just give up on him.

He likely ends up on the PS. And I'm fine with that. He still needs time. Time, not just to develop, but to find out if he's worth developing.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wasn't not pronouncing him as a rising star. I was just saying it's way too early to just give up on him.

He likely ends up on the PS. And I'm fine with that. He still needs time. Time, not just to develop, but to find out if he's worth developing.

I understood, I apologize if I gave you the impression I expected anything from Montez other than being a body.  My problem is that he was almost called into action last season and without Kyle being healthy, that opportunity may very well present itself again.  He's had plenty of time at this point to know what you have in him.  I understand all the hurdles he's had to overcome due to COVID issues directly and indirectly affecting him.

So after watching the game and having a day to sit on my thoughts, here's some quick thoughts from that game: 

-Chase Young was the best player on the field, which is exactly what we want. Need him to be DPOY candidate.

-Sam Cosmi looked good for a rookie. Probably our best rookie performance last night.

-Jamin looked fine. Didn't miss tackles, not many impact plays due to not being able to dissect the plays quick enough. He'll get there, his speed and tackling is where it needs to be. 

-Dyami Brown can get separation at this level which is great and the most important thing we should be looking for.

-St-Juste is a really good tackler and physical. If the guy gives up a 3 yard reception, it isn't going for 4. 

-All our rookies looked promising but I didn't notice Toney or WBK much at all. 

-The discipline was great, I think we only had 3 flags that entire game. 

-NFL refs are a joke. It should have been 15-15 and AGG got screwed (although he's gotta hold onto that)

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, thelongestbreath said:

I understood, I apologize if I gave you the impression I expected anything from Montez other than being a body.  My problem is that he was almost called into action last season and without Kyle being healthy, that opportunity may very well present itself again.  He's had plenty of time at this point to know what you have in him.  I understand all the hurdles he's had to overcome due to COVID issues directly and indirectly affecting him.

Even ignoring the context (see below), sure seems like you’re arguing that an inexperienced qb that initially looks skittish in their first NFL action has no place on an NFL team.  And here we’re talking about a guy that looked skittish, then became more comfortable and actually performed pretty well later that same game… to some extent at least.

Context:  sorry, but I very much disagree that he’s “had plenty of time at this point to know what you have in him”.  He’s had zero OTAs, a bit more than one training camp, and now 1 preseason game.  Never had backup reps, let alone starting reps (and of course 3rd stringers, let alone 4th stringers, are usually mostly observers at practice).  Needless to say, I feel like you’re underselling him a bit - he was not as bad scrambling as you claimed, and he made some clutch plays, which is big for a young guy. 

Now, with all of that said, I saw the problems you mentioned and agree with a lot of your analysis.  Will be interesting to see how things go the next two games.  I like him in theory - the young, good-sized, developmental qb with wheels - but I sure haven’t seen enough to think he’s a guy we should for sure continue to develop.  On the other hand, it’s way too early to say it’s not worth developing him either (IMO) - for us fans anyway… the coaches have seen him in the qb room, weight room, have seen him take a few snaps in practice, and maybe run the scout team at times last year (though that’s usually the 2nd stringer’s job), so I’ll trust what they’ve seen to this point.

Sorry if any of the above comes across snarkily - absolutely not my intent… I just disagree with the overall premise (that he’s wasting a roster spot).  For now anyway.

• Like 3