Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Everyone get injuries but Landon and Sims both got nicked early in the year and you could see they weren’t the same after. Landon took worse angles and was slower while Sims couldn’t hold on to the ball. This was before Landon went out for good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I can't explain it to you but I can give you my guess.

I'm assuming that he's saying if you throw him off of you he'll be able to then regain his feet and go around you for the sack but if you keep him close and tie him up he'll be neutralized.

Yeah, the way the tweet was read, it seems like it was a technique thing.  Allen basically saying something like "you can't just push him away, you've got to (and then we don't know what the rest was).  My guess is unless it's some type of a combo-block, where you push the LB and then immediately transition to another assignment, Allen was saying you stay on your block, drive him all the way out of the play so he can't re-set and become a factor again.

The person who was amazing at this was (unremarkably) Trent Williams.  On multiple occasions, you'd see him block a DE or LB all the way into the bench.  He'd lock up on his guy, put him on ice-skates and drive him backwards all the way off the field.  I noticed it a lot when they were running to the short side, and the hole was supposed to be between Trent and the LG.  This was a Jay Gruden running play staple.  It typically went for -1 yards, because even though Trent would carry his defender to Kansas, since it was called EVERY first down, everybody knew it was coming, a LB or safety would just be standing in the huge hole Trent had created and tackle the ball carrier for 0 or -1 yards. This happened about 5,983,489 times on first down.  But Trent always did his job.  Either that or the doofus playing LG would get bull rushed into the hole, and that would blow up the play.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

One of the reasons our OL ranked so much better in advanced metrics last year than they did in traditional stats:

I still think it’s being underestimated just how bad our QB play was last year. What the defense and guys like McLaurin and Gibson were able to do with such bad QB play was pretty impressive. If Fitzpatrick just gives us the level he’s played at the past 3 years I think people will be surprised how much better the offense (and defense) looks.  

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I still think it’s being underestimated just how bad our QB play was last year. What the defense and guys like McLaurin and Gibson were able to do with such bad QB play was pretty impressive. If Fitzpatrick just gives us the level he’s played at the past 3 years I think people will be surprised how much better the offense (and defense) looks.  

Its crazy to me that there are still people that don't realize just how bad our QB-ing was last year. We had no business winning seven games or really even half that many. Alex Smith was atrocious and was still an upgrade over the abominationn that was Dewey Haskins. I legit think Haskins is the worst QB I've ever seen and I'm 35 years old and have been following this franchise since the late 90s.

The only two teams that might have had worse QB play were the two teams picking at the top of the draft.

• Like 2

I mentioned on the draft thread several times that when I rewatched some of the games I noticed Del Rio really likes to use his LBs to blitz.  However, none of our LBs were good at getting to the QB.  And I mentioned I suspect Jamin Davis will change this.  They didn't rush Davis much in the college games I watched with him but when they did he had really good burst-potential IMO.  I saw Davis blitz too in the practices I watched.   If I recall one of his college coaches mentioned that early on in Davis' college career they considered having him play edge. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/wft-camp-notes-observations-dyami-brown-logan-thomas-and-steven-sims

• Jamin Davis is business-like and a part of a loaded defense, and those are a pair of reasons why he may not get the attention of a typical first-rounder. That said, he did show off his speed on a late-practice blitz, where he started in the middle then sprinted around the right end to get to Fitzpatrick. It would've gone down as a sack, and it felt like the type of play he'll make a handful of times as a rookie.
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its crazy to me that there are still people that don't realize just how bad our QB-ing was last year. We had no business winning seven games or really even half that many. Alex Smith was atrocious and was still an upgrade over the abominationn that was Dewey Haskins. I legit think Haskins is the worst QB I've ever seen and I'm 35 years old and have been following this franchise since the late 90s.

The only two teams that might have had worse QB play were the two teams picking at the top of the draft.

? Who here doesn’t realize how bad the QB play was last season....? Who here is saying it was awesome? Find me that person please 😂

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned on the draft thread several times that when I rewatched some of the games I noticed Del Rio really likes to use his LBs to blitz.  However, none of our LBs were good at getting to the QB.  And I mentioned I suspect Jamin Davis will change this.  They didn't rush Davis much in the college games I watched with him but when they did he had really good burst-potential IMO.  I saw Davis blitz too in the practices I watched.   If I recall one of his college coaches mentioned that early on in Davis' college career they considered having him play edge. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/wft-camp-notes-observations-dyami-brown-logan-thomas-and-steven-sims

• Jamin Davis is business-like and a part of a loaded defense, and those are a pair of reasons why he may not get the attention of a typical first-rounder. That said, he did show off his speed on a late-practice blitz, where he started in the middle then sprinted around the right end to get to Fitzpatrick. It would've gone down as a sack, and it felt like the type of play he'll make a handful of times as a rookie.

I think Cole Holcomb isn't a good blitzer...yet.  He flashes a bit, and seems close to becoming good.  I care more about his coverage improvements that beatwriters seem to think he's developed.  Him plus Jamin Davis in coverage, yes please.  If Davis can also blitz, that's better, but with our Front 4 we don't need to scheme up a pass rush as much.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

? Who here doesn’t realize how bad the QB play was last season....? Who here is saying it was awesome? Find me that person please 😂

National Media, they acknowledge that the QB play was dreadful and Fitz, will improve things, but I don't think they realize just how bad that "dreadful" actually was.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Haha yeah I don’t think anyone thought it was good or even not bad. But I do think it’s maybe not appreciated how much of an improvement Fitzpatrick is (unless he greatly regresses or something). 

Edit: (So basically exactly what AZ said above 😂)

Edited by terpfan

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

We used to have Ryan Kerrigan.

Who was still a pretty good pass rusher.  But the rest of Kerrigan's game isn't there.  He can't hold the Edge as well, he doesn't collapse a hole when being blocked by a TE, screens feel like an exploit against him.  Felt like the run gaps to Kerrigan's side were unusually large.  Which gives RB's the wiggle room they need to juke/jump-cut/etc and force awkward arm tackles they can fall forward against for extra yards.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don't think anyone thinks its awesome but there are people that think Smith was around average to mediocre. He wasn't even close. Mediocre gets us to 9-7+.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Cole Holcomb isn't a good blitzer...yet.  He flashes a bit, and seems close to becoming good.  I care more about his coverage improvements that beatwriters seem to think he's developed.  Him plus Jamin Davis in coverage, yes please.  If Davis can also blitz, that's better, but with our Front 4 we don't need to scheme up a pass rush as much.

From what I watched Holcomb wasn't a good blitzer.  Bostic had a moment or two, ditto Hudson.  But if I was an opposing QB and saw the threat of a double A blitz or a LB lined up in an odd placed liked stacked behind Chase and the number of other configurations I saw -- I think I'd yawn.

I don't think the Qb can yawn at Jamin threatening to blitz or if he's stacked up right behind an edge rusher, etc.

Yeah Holcomb did look good the few times I noticed him in coverage in camp.  Jamin was a good coverage LB in college.  Both guys can run.  So this might be a good combo.  

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think anyone thinks its awesome but there are people that think Smith was around average to mediocre. He wasn't even close. Mediocre gets us to 9-7+.

I think most bearish takes around here on the team's prospects this year are predicated on this (along side the schedule, which is admittedly rough where we stand today).  It's gonna be night and day.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I think the combination of replacing Haskins (who was probably the worst QB in the league) and the feel good story of returning from injury helped hide the fact that even Smith was a bottom 3 starting QB in the league.