Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

12 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I agree. Also, can’t forget that Payne talked such serious **** to Allen, putting his finger in his face, that team leader and good dude Allen felt it necessary to punch him in the face mid-game.

Just a wild guess that Payne may not be the good guy locker room type we want to sign long term…

I'm not gonna kill Payne for that. The Cowboys our hated rival were dropping 50+ on us on national TV. Guys get heated. Brothers fight.

Payne is seriously super underappreciated on this board. He's a really good player, borderline Pro Bowl caliber DT, who is only 24 years old. He also plays a TON. Like 90+% of snaps. Very durable and reliable. I think he's on the cusp of being elite, similar to Allen last year. You don't just give a guy like that away for a 2nd rounder.

I don't buy the "we can't pay everyone" notion either. Who the heck are we paying on this team? The only big contract is Wentz and we can get out of that in just a year. Good players cost money. The Bucs literally brought back an entire team that won a Super Bowl. The Rams won a ring and are continuing to load up.

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Really should be a different thread for all the asinine mock simulator drafts. 

This isn't realistic?

image.png.54985836132f6582e8220fbc9b11c5c3.png

image.png.2aec8c647d35f397e372a04cb00fcd87.png

image.png.5f302013c76c5d81965eeb5a6b2a527e.png

Figured 3 WRs was fine.

12 picks next year.

Seems legit. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

We're good at getting solid pieces, depth guys, contributors etc. But we don't really find the hidden stars. Our drafting is like the baseball player who walks and gets a bunch of singles, but eventually you gotta hit some home runs. The only one recently has been McLaurin in the 3rd.

Forgetting about Kam Curl, Gibson.

And in FA Logan Thomas, Joey Slye

Just to name a few

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Completely disagree. We don't have a single LB that can cover. Period. Thats the need. We get just destroyed between the numbers and hashes in coverage. I dont see Hamilton spending a lot of time directly in the middle of the field 7 yards back

I was just about to pose this question, as I see a number of mocks with Devin Lloyd available at 11. It's possible both LLoyd and Hamilton could be there at 11. Which would have the biggest immediate impact on our D?

8 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Forgetting about Kam Curl, Gibson.

And in FA Logan Thomas, Joey Slye

Just to name a few

I don't think any of those guys are home run stars. Curl is really good though, so I guess for a 7th rounder he's like hitting a triple.

But we need more impact game changing players. I'd say our overall roster depth at most positions is as good as any team's in the league's, but we lack the real top end talent that the championship teams have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I was just about to pose this question, as I see a number of mocks with Devin Lloyd available at 11. It's possible both LLoyd and Hamilton could be there at 11. Which would have the biggest immediate impact on our D?

Lloyd. As the hybrid and then move to MIKE on the extremely rare occasion we play with 3 box backers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Lloyd by a mile for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't think any of those guys are home run stars. Curl is really good though, so I guess for a 7th rounder he's like hitting a triple.

But we need more impact game changing players. I'd say our overall roster depth at most positions is as good as any team's in the league's, but we lack the real top end talent that the championship teams have.

You're also taking for granted our Hit rate on our 1st rounders. Sweat, Allen, Payne, Chase. Davis is TBD.... But that's a hit rate not many teams in the league can match.

9 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

You're also taking for granted our Hit rate on our 1st rounders. Sweat, Allen, Payne, Chase. Davis is TBD.... But that's a hit rate not many teams in the league can match.

They're all good to real good players, but I don't think any of them are dynamic game changers. Young might be someday, but he isn't there yet.

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I agree. Also, can’t forget that Payne talked such serious **** to Allen, putting his finger in his face, that team leader and good dude Allen felt it necessary to punch him in the face mid-game.

Just a wild guess that Payne may not be the good guy locker room type we want to sign long term…

Eh, Allen is an asshole.  He's an old school hard-nosed dude and I can see how that could attract conflict and grate on the people around him.  Payne is a quiet dude but I can definitely see him being the type who won't avoid conflict.

Allen is not a good or natural leader.  He can set an example and serious and competitive tone for the locker room, but he doesn't have the people skills to be a true leader.  Leaders have natural de-escalation skills and create cohesion among their teams.  And as a minimum, they absolutely don't punch their teammates in the face mid-game when things are going bad.  Him being a de facto team leader is an indictment of our team's leadership.

Our defense badly needs a real leader.  It has a lot of talented guys on it, but no clear leadership and something is just off on that side of the ball.  Definitely a disconnect between coaches and players.  Grade A morons in prominent roles like Montez and William Jackson.  A big whiny asshole in Landon Collins who was supposed to be the veteran leader of the group.  Chase Young retreating into himself and getting too brand-conscious.  A first round bust who was totally lost in Jamin and an ILB who isn't good enough to be a credible leader in Holcomb.  He's basically just a dude trying to hang on to his starting job.  Cutting Ioannidis--the glue man who everyone liked--ain't gonna help either.

I think the defense needs much more of a reworking than people realize.  I think picking Devin Lloyd could fix a lot of problems, bring in a credible leader, and stave off some of our brewing personnel issues on that side of the ball.  But I think we've got a lot of deadweight and mismatched pieces on that side of the ball, whereas the offense--though much less talented on paper--is a lot more cohesive and apt to improve this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Eh, Allen is an asshole.  He's an old school hard-nosed dude and I can see how that could attract conflict and grate on the people around him.  Payne is a quiet dude but I can definitely see him being the type who won't avoid conflict.

Allen is not a good or natural leader.  He can set an example and serious and competitive tone for the locker room, but he doesn't have the people skills to be a true leader.  Leaders have natural de-escalation skills and create cohesion among their teams.  And as a minimum, they absolutely don't punch their teammates in the face mid-game when things are going bad.  Him being a de facto team leader is an indictment of our team's leadership.

Our defense badly needs a real leader.  It has a lot of talented guys on it, but no clear leadership and something is just off on that side of the ball.  Definitely a disconnect between coaches and players.  Grade A morons in prominent roles like Montez and William Jackson.  A big whiny asshole in Landon Collins who was supposed to be the veteran leader of the group.  Chase Young retreating into himself and getting too brand-conscious.  A first round bust who was totally lost in Jamin and an ILB who isn't good enough to be a credible leader in Holcomb.  He's basically just a dude trying to hang on to his starting job.  Cutting Ioannidis--the glue man who everyone liked--ain't gonna help either.

I think the defense needs much more of a reworking than people realize.  I think picking Devin Lloyd could fix a lot of problems, bring in a credible leader, and stave off some of our brewing personnel issues on that side of the ball.  But I think we've got a lot of deadweight and mismatched pieces on that side of the ball, whereas the offense--though much less talented on paper--is a lot more cohesive and apt to improve this season.

Please show me examples of William Jackson and Montez Sweat being morons. Unless you're basing it all off Sweats personal choice on the vaccine I think this take is way off base.

Does our D need a vocal leader? Sure. But to say it needs complete reworking is nuts. Also you think really highly of a rookie to come in and lead a entire locker room of veterans.

13 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

They are idiots. Everyone else thinks the middle of the draft is full of worthy players.

They probably will botch this draft like they did in 21.

Well duh. They are absolute morons in everything regarding roster construction.

If he can get his act back together, I think Chase Young has the energy, enthusiasm, and charisma to be the on field leader the defense needs. I love how he celebrates his team mates and is so involved in the game when he's on the side line.

11 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Please show me examples of William Jackson and Montez Sweat being morons. Unless you're basing it all off Sweats personal choice on the vaccine I think this take is way off base.

Does our D need a vocal leader? Sure. But to say it needs complete reworking is nuts. Also you think really highly of a rookie to come in and lead a entire locker room of veterans.

WJIII apparently isn’t very football smart. He’s better at man partially because he’s athletic and partially because he doesn’t have the football IQ to play zone well within a scheme, or at least that’s been the rumor. 

For Montez, it is the, “choice” you mentioned, but also, apparently he and Chase weren’t taking coaching well and bucked the techniques the defensive coaching was pushing. Montez also skipped some of the voluntary OTA’s. 

I do agree that the defense doesn’t need a complete reworking. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Payne is the odd man out.

As he should be. You cant pay a Run Stuffing nose with limited Pass rush 70 mil just a year after giving your 3T 70 mil the year before. Would be dreadful roster construction. 

Its exactly whats going to happen though. Ron will need to win this year and next and hes not going to flip him for assets or let him walk. The short sighted moves will continue to plague this franchise. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

As he should be. You cant pay a Run Stuffing nose with limited Pass rush 70 mil just a year after giving your 3T 70 mil the year before. Would be dreadful roster construction. 

Its exactly whats going to happen though. Ron will need to win this year and next and hes not going to flip him for assets or let him walk. The short sighted moves will continue to plague this franchise. 

Something has to give on the defensive side of the ball. There are too many resources tied up to that side.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig just on Sheehan

Bet on Drake London will be there at 11.  Seemed to echo Keim about guessing London or Hamilton at 11 will be their top considerations and like Keim guessed they'd go Hamilton.

He's sticking to a point he makes a lot which is that they want to help Wentz but he doesn't think they are fixated on WR to do that. 

Talked about RB on the table in the draft.  Was asked from Sheehan whether they'd take a RB at 47, he thought maybe, especially if Walker is still there.

I dont think there would be a draft I hate more than Hamilton at 11 and a RB at 47. Even a Breece or Walker. All 3 of those players I like but it would just be a clear continuance in Rons way of thinking of winning in 1985 and not 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Allen gets double teamed imagine Winfrey next to Allen with his speed and tackling abilities.  Wow!

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I cant seem to find the report but you call Ioannidis the glue man but I distinctly remember hearing reports of him openly butting heads with Mills because he didnt like the technique he was teaching. to me thats not a good look for a supposed glue guy especially with younger guys in his position group.

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Agreed. There are moves to be made that are forward thinking. Not sure RR is going to make them.

Just now, Zim489 said:

I dont think there would be a draft I hate more than Hamilton at 11 and a RB at 47. Even a Breece or Walker. All 3 of those players I like but it would just be a clear continuance in Rons way of thinking of winning in 1985 and not 2022. 

Disagree here. 

Drafting a back is about as modern as it gets. The best teams have multiple backs they can use in various situations. Gibson can be more effective as a ball carrier and as a receiver in a reduced role. And those two are better backs. It would be a significant improvement on our pass game as well as the run game. 

Walker is a bit raw on pass pro but Hall is pretty good at it. I think one of them would be a tremendously modern step. The days of a single back that you run into a wall 25 times a game (like we do to Gibson) are archaic. Not having a multiple back backfield.

That said, I like Brian Robinson quite a bit, too.

2 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I cant seem to find the report but you call Ioannidis the glue man but I distinctly remember hearing reports of him openly butting heads with Mills because he didnt like the technique he was teaching. to me thats not a good look for a supposed glue guy especially with younger guys in his position group.

The entire group doesnt like Mills from what I have heard. Allen Chase and IO being the main ones.