Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

God damn this is a defensive dream draft come true. You could have a 1rst round draft with only defensive players and not be disappointed. 

Even if Hamilton is a unicorn, and he is, Hill and Cine devalue him a bit. Then you have Brisker and Pitre after that. 

I want 4 2nd round picks really badly. The DBs, LBers, WRs are going to completely dominate day 2 this year and I'm here for it. 

We need more day 2 picks, without trading away any picks. Gimme gimme gimme. 

YES!

Would love a bunch of 2nd and 3rds. CB, FS, MLB, WR, RB and how about OL, DL TE and QB.  gimme!!!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

God damn this is a defensive dream draft come true. You could have a 1rst round draft with only defensive players and not be disappointed. 

Even if Hamilton is a unicorn, and he is, Hill and Cine devalue him a bit. Then you have Brisker and Pitre after that. 

I want 4 2nd round picks really badly. The DBs, LBers, WRs are going to completely dominate day 2 this year and I'm here for it. 

We need more day 2 picks, without trading away any picks. Gimme gimme gimme. 

And THAT is why (among other reasons) I'm shopping Montez Sweat.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Every year we hear the same spiel about how "this draft is loaded in the middle rounds! we should trade down" and like 90% of them are complete donks. 

Quality over quantity. Every time.

We have to hope the team doesn't pick donks whether they have a few high picks or many lower picks (quality often does not reveal itself except over time).  The Commanders need all of their draft picks (plus more) but they know that any team with a QB need is going to trade up before the Commanders.  The only way to keep everyone guessing is to acquire a QB free agent. IMO they need to keep building the team.  If the pundits are correct that there are starter quality players deep in this draft then the team should not be giving up those draft picks.   

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dang, Sauce would be available there… if it fell this way we could trade back up in the first or early second and still grab Corral. 
if that list happened Willis to Pitt at 20 might be the first QB?

Even though QB is such a need, I think I'd take Gardner there.  Fuller is getting older, WJ3 is only signed for 2 more years.  Assuming we sign a vet (Mariotta hopefully), take Ridder/Howell/trade up for Coral would be an option.

30 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dang, Sauce would be available there… if it fell this way we could trade back up in the first or early second and still grab Corral. 

That's my guess.

• Michigan State’s Kenneth Walker III and Iowa State’s Breece Hall emerged as winners among a lackluster tailback class. One NFC exec told me he sees both as late-first-round types who’ll probably go on Day 2 based on how the position is valued in the league.

• If you’re into interior offensive linemen, some things were clarified over the weekend. Boston College guard Zion Johnson tested well and showed his smarts, making it clear that he understands his strengths and weaknesses, in interviews. Nebraska center Cam Jurgens was raised by multiple teams as a guy who showed up bigger than most people thought he would, and tested well—one exec even said he can see why some scouts believe Jurgens might have more upside than Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum. And Chattanooga’s guard/center Cole Strange was raised to me by a number of teams as a guy who had both interviewed and worked out well.

• Early returns on the DBs varied. Two teams told me Washington’s Trent McDuffie was outstanding in their interview and positioned himself as a safe pick—“Really just a clean guy who’s gonna be as good as the talent allows him to be,” said a source from one of them. Florida’s Kaiir Elam was another strong corner interview, though his workout wasn’t as good. And Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner came as advertised (as we said last week, we had one veteran evaluator call him the best player in the entire class), as did Notre Dame’s Kyle Hamilton.

...There wasn’t a ton of movement among the receivers. The Ohio State wideouts, Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, held serve. USC’s injured star Drake London didn’t work out. If anything, the biggest development might have been a negative one—Arkansas’s Treylon Burks’s average testing numbers, punctuated by a 4.55 40, figured to push him down some in the first round, particularly in a year when nine receivers ran sub-4.4 (including both Wilson and Olave). Further down the line, Penn State’s Jahan Dotson didn’t blow it out at his workout, but showed the kind of head for the game that’ll make him fit in the league as a slot. “Really good interview,” said an NFC exec. “Self-aware, but confident, and he also performed well in the drills.” And Western Michigan’s Skyy Moore was brought up by just about everyone as a guy you can now lock in as a Day 2 pick after a strong workout.

• The most important things for Georgia receiver George Pickens were always going to be the medical and the interviews in Indy, based on the background teams have on him and the ACL injury he just came back from. But his workout was good, showing why he was looked at as perhaps the top receiver prospect in the class before he got hurt, and a few teams brought him up to me as a guy who helped himself.

12 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

My post combine thoughts are that only a couple positions the gap from 1-4 or 5 is substantial.

Qb: No, all 5 can be your flavor depending on scheme and interviews.

Rb:No

WR:No

TE:No

OL: Yes, top 2  tackles big difference 

DL: No, Johnson, Walker, Davis not far off

LB:No

CB: Maybe, Sauce and Stingley are pretty elite

S: Yes Hamilton, but good depth 

I disagree on a couple of these.  I do think there is a noticeable gap between the top three QBs and the next three, but I recognize not everyone else feels that way.

WR, DL, CB, S agreed

TE don't really know since I haven't really looked into the class postseason

OL I'm not sure about either.  A lot of places seem to have Cross and Penning in their top ten.  And the IOLs are fairly tightly grouped too.

LB I do think there is a pretty big gap between Lloyd/Dean and the next tier, to the point where they are the only two worth going in the first round IMO.

RB I also think there is a huge gap between Walker/Hall and the rest of the class.  They're stars with a chance to go round 1, but probably get picked in the 30s.  But there are decent looking role player backs who can crack a rotation as rookies who should be available day two and early day three.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yeah there is no way I'd pass on Sauce there. That's Champ Bailey 2.0.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I envy the Giants with their two high first rounders. They are going to significantly upgrade their OL and defense most likely with those 2 picks. Philly has three mid 1sts as well. Kinda pisses me off. 

Yeah that’s going be to frustrating come draft day. Hopefully we can take care of our own business well enough to counter that.

• Like 1

Calvin Ridley is suspended for at least next season for gambling on his games.  Guessing he's done in Atlanta and they're not going to get anything back for him in a trade.  Does this encourage them to trade Ryan and blow it up?  Or does this make them a lock to pick Garrett Wilson?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Calvin Ridley is suspended for at least next season for gambling on his games.  Guessing he's done in Atlanta and they're not going to get anything back for him in a trade.  Does this encourage them to trade Ryan and blow it up?  Or does this make them a lock to pick Garrett Wilson?

I think cap hit is to big to do anything with Ryan so they probably pick WR.

LInderbaum is a good player but Roullier is a top tier C who we just signed to a long term deal. That means one of them has to play out of position and I'm NEVER in favor of moving guys out of position(this franchise has a terrible history of doing that). 

• Like 2

• On Pitt QB Kenny Pickett, let’s start here: His hand size is an issue for at least some teams. Only one NFL starter is under 9", and that’s Taysom Hill—who measured 8.75", plays indoors and might or not wind up being the Saints’ starter in the fall. Pickett came in at 8.5". Is it a death knell? No, it’s not. But it’s not irrelevant, particularly for teams that play in cold weather. That said, as was expected, Pickett was outstanding in his interviews. And so the bigger question, whether his ceiling is high enough to give a team a chance to compete with the Allens and Mahomeses of the NFL over the next decade, is the same coming out of the combine as it was going in.

I talked to one defensive coach on Monday who was pretty interested in the fate of Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton and Cincinnati CB Sauce Gardner—since both guys are taller than what you’d normally see in the secondary. The former is 6' 4", the latter is 6' 3". The former ran just 4.59 in the 40, and the aforementioned coach thought Gardner looked a little stiff in movement drills. For these reasons, I do think there may be some variance of opinion on the two, both of whom are good bets to go inside the top 10. Is Hamilton better off at linebacker? Does Gardner fit all schemes? These questions will get asked in draft rooms.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/07/calvin-ridley-suspension-no-brainer