Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

16. LB NAKOBE DEAN, GEORGIA: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Dean in his last season with the Bulldogs was synonymous with aggression. This is evident nowhere more than in his blitzing, where he won 42.1% of his pass-rushing reps, the sixth-highest of any of the 176 FBS linebackers drafted since 2015. It is also evident in his run-stopping ability, where we charted him as winning 15.5% of his such reps, 44th-highest. He is no slouch in coverage, either, where he was targeted on only 11.1% of his coverage snaps (32nd-lowest) and forced a stop on 5.76% of such reps (sixth-highest). From a production standpoint, he is the complete package, save from the fact that the talented Georgia defense prevented him from accumulating even more run stops.

Dean is equally gifted as an athlete. His reported high school 40-yard dash, short shuttle and vertical jump measurements would put him in the 65th, 98th, and 99th percentiles among linebackers who have attended the NFL scouting combine. On the flip side, he is smaller at a listed at 6-foot and 225 pounds, and that could cause issues for him in run defense at the next level. The Patriots, however, can help mitigate these issues by parking him behind their massive defensive linemen — including Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy and Davon Godchaux. Whether or not the team retains Dont’a Hightower, Dean presents an excellent opportunity to add athleticism into New England's front seven and start developing a new, albeit very different, sort of Mike linebacker. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-best-team-fit-for-pff-top-32-nfl-draft-prospects-2022

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

16. LB NAKOBE DEAN, GEORGIA: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Dean in his last season with the Bulldogs was synonymous with aggression. This is evident nowhere more than in his blitzing, where he won 42.1% of his pass-rushing reps, the sixth-highest of any of the 176 FBS linebackers drafted since 2015. It is also evident in his run-stopping ability, where we charted him as winning 15.5% of his such reps, 44th-highest. He is no slouch in coverage, either, where he was targeted on only 11.1% of his coverage snaps (32nd-lowest) and forced a stop on 5.76% of such reps (sixth-highest). From a production standpoint, he is the complete package, save from the fact that the talented Georgia defense prevented him from accumulating even more run stops.

Dean is equally gifted as an athlete. His reported high school 40-yard dash, short shuttle and vertical jump measurements would put him in the 65th, 98th, and 99th percentiles among linebackers who have attended the NFL scouting combine. On the flip side, he is smaller at a listed at 6-foot and 225 pounds, and that could cause issues for him in run defense at the next level. The Patriots, however, can help mitigate these issues by parking him behind their massive defensive linemen — including Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy and Davon Godchaux. Whether or not the team retains Dont’a Hightower, Dean presents an excellent opportunity to add athleticism into New England's front seven and start developing a new, albeit very different, sort of Mike linebacker. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-best-team-fit-for-pff-top-32-nfl-draft-prospects-2022

No Muma yet?  LOL

On 3/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, Going Commando said:

I heard about it but didn't really watch the practices.  I had some misconceptions about him since I never watched his games.  I thought he was one of those tall, kind of lanky type tackles like Cosmi or Spencer Brown or Walker Little.  Nope.  This dude is a barrel with a really wide body.  He's just huge, built kind of like Jason Peters or Brandon Scherff.

I'm going to go watch everything I can of his now.  There is no way so many of his reps end in such decisive Ws as in this highlight reel, but still, this is absolutely dominant stuff.  He's a scalp collector.  Some of those dudes he planted were IDLs.

If you go back to a year ago, Spencer Brown highlight reels were just like Penning's in terms of manhandling defenders. And Brown was probably a bit more athletic with his movement. Northern Iowa and the league they are in seem to allow a little more grappling and wrestling action from tackles then some other leagues and it leads to these kind of highlights for guys that are clearly a level above their competition. I don't think their highlights look like that if they're playing SEC ball obviously, or even in the ACC. And I think a lot of those throwdowns are holding penalties in the NFL.

But I liked Brown last year. My preference of the time was that they draft Davis Mills in the second and Brown in the third (I wanted Zaven Collins in the first but he was surprisingly gone). I like Cosmi now, but really wish my second and third round wishes had come true.

• Like 1

This is the guy I'd love to see the Commanders draft.  Listen to what he says:

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The lack of Muma rise is weird. Feels woefully underrated in a whole lot of places 

He is no doubt.  Hope we draft him. :) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He is no doubt.  Hope we draft him. :) 

I dont think Ron goes LB for the second straight draft. Especially if we go the Mitch or who ever QB route. Thats asking for blow back. I would expect someone like Kenyon Green stupidly. Thinking that they are helping the QB when its really not. 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

I dont think Ron goes LB for the second straight draft. Especially if we go the Mitch or who ever QB route. Thats asking for blow back. I would expect someone like Kenyon Green stupidly. Thinking that they are helping the QB when its really not. 

We need a MLB.  Don't know if FA or draft but we will get one either way.  I think.

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

I think we’ll go WR or DB in that scenario.

Just now, RWJ said:

We need a MLB.  Don't know if FA or draft but we will get one either way.  I think.

I don't disagree. Going to be hard to sell going defense for the 6 out of 7 1st round picks

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’ll go WR or DB in that scenario.

I would be in on Burks. I would hate going defense but Stingley if hes there would be the absolutely perfect fit for Talent, overall value, and positional value. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

What is everyone's QB board pre-combine?  Just do the top six.

1) Corral-good to great in all categories

3a)Willis-potential if he shows he can do more than be a RB who passes

3b)Howell- A good overall mix

3c)Strong- I still think the league can get torched by an accurate and strong arm, I'd even trade back into 1st round to get him

5)Pickett

6)Ridder

33 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I would be in on Burks. I would hate going defense but Stingley if hes there would be the absolutely perfect fit for Talent, overall value, and positional value. 

I think if we get an average QB in free agency then attracting top end offensive talent isn’t happening, that would force us to perhaps go WR early in the draft. Also RB and/or TE day2, More likely being adding D in free agency. All driven by the QB move.

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

What is everyone's QB board pre-combine?  Just do the top six.

1) Corral

2) Pickett

3) Howell

4) Willis
5) Strong

6) Ridder

Those last two are tough because it also depends on Strong's knee. I really like Ridder's physical ability and intangibles but his major accuracy and decision making lapses worry me.

I used to have Howell ahead of Pickett, and I'm still worried about Pickett's hands, but Pickett appears to really have the leadership and charisma. Howell seems like a really great guy, but pretty quiet and low key. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not as often that it translates into the NFL it seems. They're actually closer to 2a and 2b.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Since the draft is unpredictable, I work on different scenarios where I still get my guys.

Right now, I am considering we have to go QB at 11 because the pre draft process pushes up the value of these QBs.

In that scenario, I would take Corral at 11. Pickett and Willis are probably gone off the board in this scenario. I follow up with Chad Muma with the 2nd pick. 

We have our QB and tone setter MLB of the future, and we don't lose any assets to get them.

I also consider Willis over Corral if they are both there at 11. Willis has the highest ceiling if you want to swing for the fences.

• Like 2

Tier 1

1. Willis

2. Pickett

Tier 2:  

3.  Corral

Tier 3:

4.  Howell

5.  Strong

6.  Ridder

Within the tiers I could probably be moved (so a strong argument could convince me to take Ridder over Howell), but an argument would have to wow me to take Ridder over Corral who I have a tier ahead of him

If I was going to condense it down to two tiers I probably would have put Corral in tier 1.  I do like Corral, I just like Willis and Pickett more.

• Like 1

Got a better response than I expected.  This the ES consensus of the 18 boards submitted:

QB 1 = Malik Willis avg ranking 2.33

QB 2 = Matt Corral = 2.38

QB3 = Kenny Pickett = 3

QB4 = Sam Howell = 3.83

QB5 = Carson Strong = 4.78

QB6 = Desmond Ridder = 5.06

QB7 = Bailey Zappe = 6.56

From that, looks like we kind of tiered the class out as:

Tier 1

Willis and Corral

Tier 2

Pickett and Howell

Tier 3

Strong and Ridder

Tier 4

Zappe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

1) Corral

2) Pickett

3) Howell

4) Willis
5) Strong

6) Ridder

Those last two are tough because it also depends on Strong's knee. I really like Ridder's physical ability and intangibles but his major accuracy and decision making lapses worry me.

I used to have Howell ahead of Pickett, and I'm still worried about Pickett's hands, but Pickett appears to really have the leadership and charisma. Howell seems like a really great guy, but pretty quiet and low key. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not as often that it translates into the NFL it seems. They're actually closer to 2a and 2b.

Also my order. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Got a better response than I expected.  This the ES consensus of the 18 boards submitted:

QB 1 = Malik Willis avg ranking 2.33

QB 2 = Matt Corral = 2.38

QB3 = Kenny Pickett = 3

QB4 = Sam Howell = 3.83

QB5 = Carson Strong = 4.78

QB6 = Desmond Ridder = 5.06

QB7 = Bailey Zappe = 6.56

From that, looks like we kind of tiered the class out as:

Tier 1

Willis and Corral

Tier 2

Pickett and Howell

Tier 3

Strong and Ridder

Tier 4

Zappe

My list

Corral

Pickett

Willis

Howell

Ridder

Strong

Zappe

The way I think they get drafted

Pickett

Willis

Corral

Ridder

Howell

Strong

Zappe

I get the feeling RR, Turner and company would be cool with Strong in the 2nd if they get a vet pre-draft

Here's my second question for the room about QB boards:

Let's say Pickett, Willis, Corral, and Howell all require a first round pick, but that Ridder and Strong will go in the second.

Would you rather use #11 on one of those first four QBs, or pick a BPA position player and use 42 on Ridder or Strong?