Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Dean seems like the perfect player and personality for us--like we'd be getting our Thomas Davis.  There is a leadership consideration with him and I think this defense still needs leadership because Jonathan Allen doesn't have the kind of people skills to be a true leader and Chase is a little too much of a try-hard.

At a certain point it just makes too much sense.  I wish we didn't need a QB so badly.

That is an incredibly tough question.  I don't know.  Head says Stingley but gut says Dean.  Dean seems like the perfect player and personality for us--like we'd be getting our Thomas Davis.  There is a leadership consideration with him and I think this defense still needs leadership because Jonathan Allen doesn't have the kind of people skills to be a true leader and Chase is a little too much of a try-hard.

If you make the choice between Stingley at 11 or trade down a bit and get Dean + a 3rd rounder, then I think that would settle the question for me and I would choose the latter option.  I think you're right about Dean having the playing style and physicality and instincts to be a MIKE.  That's his natural position, he's just short.

So, I agree that CB's have a lot of value. But, there are CB's available every year in FA. There just are a lot more stud CB's than there are ILB's that can cover. 

I feel really torn about Loyd. I love him, but I think he'd be best at SAM. I don't think he's a plug and play MIKE. Dean strikes me as plug and play. His football IQ seems off the charts and I don't think you have to worry about fit. He solves MIKE for the foreseeable future and also upgrades the 3rd down blitz package. I do think he would be better with some beef in front of him. If you draft him, you better retain Payne, for instance. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I mean London Fletcher was short.  I know you are a huge Devin Lloyd fan.  Lloyd vs Dean?

I'm leaning Lloyd.  The size is a major point in his favor and he hits harder.  Probably a little more gifted in coverage too.  He's got offensive player hands whereas Dean is a bit stone-handed.

But I can literally envision Dean being an absolute animal in our defense.  He is a perfect fit here and the right intersection of need/talent/personality to be a star and a future captain.  The only thing I don't love is his draft value at 11.  But you take that consideration away if you can trade down and get him.

Troy Anderson, MLB.  I've heard Nagy say he looked good at the Senior Bowl and better then he did on his college tape.  Interesting dude, played RB-QB, converted to LB.  I watched his highlights, big guy who can move.  But I couldn't find a game to judge him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Troy Anderson, MLB.  I've heard Nagy say he looked good at the Senior Bowl but then he did on tape.  Interesting dude, played RB-QB, converted to LB.  I watched his highlights, big guy who can move.  But I couldn't find a game to judge him.

Nagy really did rave about him. He would take some time before being able to start probably.

I am not a huge fan of a gadget guy but could you imagine him as your gadget QB a few plays a game in the Taysom Hill mold. 

Steve, Penning was fun to watch at the Sr Bowl...freaking beast!

• Like 2

Brian Asamoah, MLB.  Wonder if he's more of a weakside LB?   He's the LB that Nagy raved the most about as to his play at the Senior Bowl so that got my attention.  3rd-4th round?  He's interesting,  Not sure he's the right fit for MLB here. 

Pros

Fast with sideline to sideline range, changes direction well, looks like a monster athlete from the context of speed and agility

Good tackler including in open field, get lows and wraps up the tackle well

Diagnoses plays well -- good recognition skills -- he's around the action

Seems assignment sound in zone coverage from what I can tell

Backpeddles well, seems smooth and dynamic in coverage

Cons

lanky, he's 6 '1 but only 228 pounds

As a fit here he looks and moves more like a WLB, but the reason why I think he may be a possibility at MLB is he diagnoses well and has the frame to put on some weight but wonder if they would bother considering there are some dudes that fit the profile better

Looks decent as a blitzer but nothing special

Looks decent at against the run but not special and certainly not a monster on that front like lets say Chenel and what some say about Muma. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

As an Eagles fan, I gotta say that this is the first mock draft I've seen that accurately represents the way I think the Eagles will probably go. I see so many mock drafts with them taking quarterbacks, or wide receivers, or offensive linemen in the first round. While I don't know the players the way I used to (to be honest, they're only "names" to me nowadays while in the past I actually watched the players and knew them), I really like the idea of them taking three defensive players in the first round.

And that's just their 1st round. This seems to be the year to take defense in the draft. The Eagles need help on both lines so maybe they mix and match the defense and offensive line between their top 6 picks in the draft? They're also in a good spot to move back in the draft and pick up additional picks this year and beyond. This draft is likely the most important draft in Roseman's career as far as how much he can set up the future of the roster.

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Steve, Penning was fun to watch at the Sr Bowl...freaking beast!

I heard about it but didn't really watch the practices.  I had some misconceptions about him since I never watched his games.  I thought he was one of those tall, kind of lanky type tackles like Cosmi or Spencer Brown or Walker Little.  Nope.  This dude is a barrel with a really wide body.  He's just huge, built kind of like Jason Peters or Brandon Scherff.

I'm going to go watch everything I can of his now.  There is no way so many of his reps end in such decisive Ws as in this highlight reel, but still, this is absolutely dominant stuff.  He's a scalp collector.  Some of those dudes he planted were IDLs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I heard about it but didn't really watch the practices.  I had some misconceptions about him since I never watched his games.  I thought he was one of those tall, kind of lanky type tackles like Cosmi or Spencer Brown or Walker Little.  Nope.  This dude is a barrel with a really wide body.  He's just huge, built kind of like Jason Peters or Brandon Scherff.

I'm going to go watch everything I can of his now.  There is no way so many of his reps end in such decisive Ws as in this highlight reel, but still, this is absolutely dominant stuff.  He's a scalp collector.  Some of those dudes he planted were IDLs.

I think the narrative is he needs to be motivated.  He has a tendency to play down to inferior competition, takes reps off a little, and can get beat.  Senior Bowl he showed up doing his normal thing Day 1, realized everything was different there, then played hard on Days 2 and 3.

• Like 1

Looks like Pennings SB 1 on 1s were pretty rough but that's not a huge concern to me.  Those things put the OLs at such a big disadvantage and Trey Smith's 1 on 1s were awful last year too.

I'm watching his actual game cut ups and it looks like he's got some hand placement issues.  He's also not super fast or explosive, and it's kind of frustrating that he doesn't really do NFL style vertical setting in that UNI offense.  That reminds me of Cosmi's situation from last season, and it makes him more of a projection into an NFL offense.  Just OK at hitting landmarks in the second level, much more comfortable tangling in the phone booth.  Anchor strength looked good but not great.  Flexibility looks OK but not elite.  He's a classic block finisher though.  The dude is constantly almost starting fights with how physical he plays.

The guy he reminds me of the most is Teven Jenkins.  I suspect he'll be a project for his NFL team, but so was Cosmi for us and he came on pretty quickly.  Unless he totally shocks us in the drills at the combine, I'm thinking early second round feels right for his draft range, same as Jenkins.  But I could also see him going in the back half of the first to a team like Dallas given that this OL class isn't as deep as last year's was.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

As an Eagles fan, I gotta say that this is the first mock draft I've seen that accurately represents the way I think the Eagles will probably go. I see so many mock drafts with them taking quarterbacks, or wide receivers, or offensive linemen in the first round. While I don't know the players the way I used to (to be honest, they're only "names" to me nowadays while in the past I actually watched the players and knew them), I really like the idea of them taking three defensive players in the first round.

Just a question for you about your avatar....if you're an Eagles fan why do you have the Commanders emblem as your avatar? Can't you use a picture of Howie Roseman or maybe the Eagles logo? Or maybe that avatar got set for you? 

Christian Harris.  He had a lot of hype going into this season.  Hasn't lived up to it.  Watching him some, he's IMO decent.   3rd-4th round?   He doesn't blow my sacks off but he has good size, plays physical against the run.  Nothing that gets me very excited but also he comes off to me solid and well rounded aside from PFF's grade they gave him in coverage.

Pros

Good against the run, not special on that front but soild

Decent tackler when he has his grips on the player.  Physical player. 

Decent pass rusher

Good size, looks like the prototype middle linebacker

Looks to have good tools -- size, power, speed

Cons

Whiffs on his fair share of tackles but at least he finds himself in the mix of the action

To play off of the above point, while he finds the action he sometimes seems to be a beat behind the play

I noticed PFF only gave one horrific score for the top LBs as pass coverage, that dude was Christian Harris.   I couldn't really get a good beat on him on that front from watching him.  But to score a grade in the 40s I presume he's not hot on that front

Gets washed in O line traffic on a bunch of plays

While he pass rushes with energy there doesn't seem to be much to his pass rush plan -- he basically comes charging downhill

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Looks like Pennings SB 1 on 1s were pretty rough but that's not a huge concern to me.  Those things put the OLs at such a big disadvantage and Trey Smith's 1 on 1s were awful last year too.

I'm watching his actual game cut ups and it looks like he's got some hand placement issues.  He's also not super fast or explosive, and it's kind of frustrating that he doesn't really do NFL style vertical setting in that UNI offense.  That reminds me of Cosmi's situation from last season, and it makes him more of a projection into an NFL offense.  Just OK at hitting landmarks in the second level, much more comfortable tangling in the phone booth.  Anchor strength looked good but not great.  Flexibility looks OK but not elite.  He's a classic block finisher though.  The dude is constantly almost starting fights with how physical he plays.

The guy he reminds me of the most is Teven Jenkins.  I suspect he'll be a project for his NFL team, but so was Cosmi for us and he came on pretty quickly.  Unless he totally shocks us in the drills at the combine, I'm thinking early second round feels right for his draft range, same as Jenkins.  But I could also see him going in the back half of the first to a team like Dallas given that this OL class isn't as deep as last year's was.

I have him going to the Chargers honestly.  RT is a huge need for them.  It cost them the game against the Raiders.  Although I could see the Chargers taking Jordan Davis as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Christian Harris.  He had a lot of hype going into this season.  Hasn't lived up to it.  Watching him some, he's IMO decent.   3rd-4th round?   He doesn't blow my sacks off but he has good size, plays physical against the run.  Nothing that gets me very excited but also he comes off to me solid and well rounded aside from PFF's grade they gave him in coverage.

Pros

Good against the run, not special on that front but soild

Decent tackler when he has his grips on the player.  Physical player. 

Decent pass rusher

Good size, looks like the prototype middle linebacker

Looks to have good tools -- size, power, speed

Cons

Whiffs on his fair share of tackles but at least he finds himself in the mix of the action

To play off of the above point, while he finds the action he sometimes seems to be a beat behind the play

I noticed PFF only gave one horrific score for the top LBs as pass coverage, that dude was Christian Harris.   I couldn't really get a good beat on him on that front from watching him.  But to score a grade in the 40s I presume he's not hot on that front

Gets washed in O line traffic on a bunch of plays

While he pass rushes with energy there doesn't seem to be much to his pass rush plan -- he basically comes charging downhill

He has gone from a 1rst round pick, to a day 3 guys in a pretty packed class. Pretty wild. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll be interested to see what you have to say about LB Muma from Wyoming when you do your writeup on him and post it.  :)  

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I have him going to the Chargers honestly.  RT is a huge need for them.  It cost them the game against the Raiders.  Although I could see the Chargers taking Jordan Davis as well.

I could see him going as early as the Ravens pick. 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just a question for you about your avatar....if you're an Eagles fan why do you have the Commanders emblem as your avatar? Can't you use a picture of Howie Roseman or maybe the Eagles logo? Or maybe that avatar got set for you? 

It just defaults to this and I'm too lazy to try to change it. I remember trying when I signed up here a few years ago to make some avatar but I could make it work. It wasn't that important to me. It still isn't.