Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Watching Allen make plays with his legs, I think I'd more strongly consider Willis now. Take a shot at someone with real upside. What's the worst case scenario? We suck and try again in 3-4 years? I don't want to settle for an average to decent prospect. Go big or go home.

Willis has Lamar Jackson potential imo. I think he’s worth the risk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You guys are talking yourselves into these ****ty QBs like we're at the highschool prom and there's 3 women to choose to dance with...."oh, I guess she'll do"

They suck. There isn't one QB prospect this draft that's worth moving up for. Pickett is the best option, but he's got little hands and that's never going to work in the NFL. He'll be a turnover machine behind our OL

If they are no realistic high end vet options and we truly believe in one of these prospect QBs, at this stage I’d be trading up like the 49ers did last year. Need to get into the top 4 of the draft. The cost will be 3 first rounders plus change. So what.

You could literally offer the Bengals every draft pick we possess for the next 3 years. Not just first rounders but every single pick. Throw in both Payne and Sweat. You still wouldn’t get your hands on Burrow. I don’t think you would anyway. 

I doubt you could trade for Josh Allen. Or Herbert. Simply no compensation that can replace a franchise QB. They would laugh at an offer of 3 first plus change.

We need to look to get one now. This offseason. 

4 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

You guys are talking yourselves into these ****ty QBs like we're at the highschool prom and there's 3 women to choose to dance with...."oh, I guess she'll do"

They suck. There isn't one QB prospect this draft that's worth moving up for. Pickett is the best option, but he's got little hands and that's never going to work in the NFL. He'll be a turnover machine behind our OL

I think you misjudge the intent from some here.

This team should have went quarterback last year via trade up. Fields or Jones. They didn’t. They also chose to not take one at all, even as a late round flier.

This fanbase would have accepted that because we had Fitz on the roster and has a guy developing. 

But we did nothing. 

So now we are in desperation mode.

And the chances of us acquiring a big time veteran are nil. I suppose it could happen. But chances aren’t high. 

So now we look to this draft. And if it doesn’t work and we pick a true bust guess what? We need to pick another QB or acquire one via trade. 

We have to stop playing games with the position. Ideally we’d have Fields on the roster and a year in the system. But we don’t. So here we are.

I don’t think these QBs suck, you do, and that’s cool. But there is no one that you look at and say “this is the dude for sure!” So it’s risky. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

Thats 2020 Fryfogle. I’ve been watching more individual games for 2021. But the flare route and run at around the 3:20 mark is awesome.

I like him and Bell. Quite a bit. Bell’s stutter at the LoS to release may wind up being a detriment and that’s my only question with him. I think the Fryfogle guy will be an excellent possession guy. Good size, strength and hands. Good route runner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

If they are no realistic high end vet options and we truly believe in one of these prospect QBs, at this stage I’d be trading up like the 49ers did last year. Need to get into the top 4 of the draft. The cost will be 3 first rounders plus change. So what.

You could literally offer the Bengals every draft pick we possess for the next 3 years. Not just first rounders but every single pick. Throw in both Payne and Sweat. You still wouldn’t get your hands on Burrow. I don’t think you would anyway. 

I doubt you could trade for Josh Allen. Or Herbert. Simply no compensation that can replace a franchise QB. They would laugh at an offer of 3 first plus change.

We need to look to get one now. This offseason. 

Miami traded one future 1st to move from 12 to 6.  That'll be the cost if we really want our QB.  We could always gamble (I figure at least one of Pickett, Corral, Willis, and Howell is there at 11)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Miami traded one future 1st to move from 12 to 6.  That'll be the cost if we really want our QB.  We could always gamble (I figure at least one of Pickett, Corral, Willis, and Howell is there at 11)

That or sweat. I think 11 and Sweat could get us in top 3. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Thats 2020 Fryfogle. I’ve been watching more individual games for 2021. But the flare route and run at around the 3:20 mark is awesome.

I like him and Bell. Quite a bit. Bell’s stutter at the LoS to release may wind up being a detriment and that’s my only question with him. I think the Fryfogle guy will be an excellent possession guy. Good size, strength and hands. Good route runner.

I'll get to Fryfogle.    But I have watched David Bell.  I like him, don't love him though.  i am not sure about him being a 2nd rounder the way I see him in some mocks.  Strikes me more of a third round guy but IMO a solid pick in the third.  He seems more suited to slot than outside WR, watching him play, even though from what I watched he played mostly Z.  But Z maybe could work in the pros?

For those obsessed (not me 😀) with breakout age,  its 18 for Bell.  And he's had three good years of production in college.  So for those who are very number driven, he's a safe pick.

From what I've seen I like David Bell.  He's not a freak athletically or with the ball in his hands like his old teammate Rondale Moore.   In some ways, he's kind of like a bigger poor man's version of his ex teammate if I am talking purely about YAC.  But he's looks high floor.  I'd be surprised if he's a bust.  I'd equally be surprised if he ends up a star.  Reminds me some of a player I recall you liked as did I in the last draft, Amari Rodgers.  Bigger than Rodgers though. But Rodgers probaby was faster. 

I just read up on him after watching him.  Some knocking his speed.  Some saying its fine. He's another guy where its not easy to see IMO.  If I had to guess its in the high 4.40, low 4.5's? 

Pros

Good hands

Seperates well

YAC:  has some good wiggle/elusivness in open field

Can get open in short spaces -- weapon in the flat

Decent run blocker

Moved him around as a chess piece

Cons

Decent speed but doesn't look super fast or explosive.  Curious about his 40

Releases -- can he beat man, hits me more of a slot guy for that reason among others

Doesn't look like he will take the top off of defenses

Looks like he need to add some girth to his body if he wants to develop more into a Deebo Samuel type

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll get to Fryfogle.    But I have watched David Bell.  I like him, don't love him though.  i am not sure about him being a 2nd rounder the way I see him in some mocks.  Strikes me more of a third round guy but IMO a solid pick in the third.  He seems more suited to slot than outside WR, watching him play, even though from what I watched he played mostly Z.  But Z maybe could work in the pros?

For those obsessed (not me 😀) with breakout age,  its 18 for Bell.  And he's had three good years of production in college.  So for those who are very number driven, he's a safe pick.

From what I've seen I like David Bell.  He's not a freak athletically or with the ball in his hands like his old teammate Rondale Moore.   In some ways, he's kind of like a bigger poor man's version of his ex teammate if I am talking purely about YAC.  But he's looks high floor.  I'd be surprised if he's a bust.  I'd equally be surprised if he ends up a star.  Reminds me some of a player I recall you liked as did I in the last draft, Amari Rodgers.  Bigger than Rodgers though. But Rodgers probaby was faster. 

I just read up on him after watching him.  Some knocking his speed.  Some saying its fine. He's another guy where its not easy to see IMO.  If I had to guess its in the high 4.40, low 4.5's? 

Pros

Good hands

Seperates well

YAC:  has some good wiggle/elusivness in open field

Can get open in short spaces -- weapon in the flat

Decent run blocker

Moved him around as a chess piece

Cons

Decent speed but doesn't look super fast or explosive.  Curious about his 40

Releases -- can he beat man, hits me more of a slot guy for that reason among others

Doesn't look like he will take the top off of defenses

Looks like he need to add some girth to his body if he wants to develop more into a Deebo Samuel type

I see the point on Bell being more of a big slot than a X.

London would be so good for us. Gotta stop thinking there’s a chance for him or Wydermyer. We won’t have the ability to get either of them. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I see the point on Bell being more of a big slot than a X.

London would be so good for us. Gotta stop thinking there’s a chance for him or Wydermyer. We won’t have the ability to get either of them. 

Thinking about all of Rivera's interviews.

In addition to the QB spot, Rivera saying recently there are two spots he wants front line players in the off season (suggesting they aren't on the roster now).  And 2 spots he wants to add players for competition/depth.

I'd love to piece together that puzzle. And not from our perspective but from his.  We know MLB is one of those spots.  And he seems to be hinting at a veteran if possible.

Front line players

A.  MLB FA or trade

B.  (WR) or (OG)

The 2nd spot is clearly a spot they see as code red but Rivera has been careful not to reveal it for whatever reason unlike MLB.   I am guessing it might be Wr, he's all over the place when he talks about that spot.  and if so, I'd think they'd do it in the draft.  They have to pay Terry soon.  And Samuel gets good pay.  I don't think they can add a third WR for big money. 

So my gut is WR or OG.  I am assuming they lose Scherff.  And Rivera seems obsessive about their O line and O line depth. 

Competiion/Depth Spots

A. FS or CB 

B. RB or CB

Rivera in different interviews said he likes what they got on the O line.  But does that change when Scherff leaves?  He's also touted he likes his TE room when everyone is healthy.   He touted Gibson's game recently, ditto McCain.  I don't know if he sees FS as much as a code red spot as some of us (me including) does.  But he might?  I can tell he likes their identity when they can run the ball so it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to add another one.  As far as CB goes, can you ever have enough?  Those guys, ala O lineman, tend to drop like flies during the season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive finally started watching these QBs and I can’t wait till the senior bowl. 

I think people are underestimating how high Malik Willis will go or their being a little short sighted with his development time. Especially if he shows a jump at the senior bowl with a much better supporting cast around him

On up-side/traits that best translate to the NFL he’s QB1 for me. 

Willis

Corral

Howell

Pickett 

For those that don’t like Willis, what do you know for a fact that he can’t do?

I love Corral but his frame matched with his style give me serious durability concerns on the next level. Howell is great too, especially with the deep ball, but his pocket awareness bothers me, and his run style will not be something he can lean on like he does in college. Pickett had a great season, but I wonder about his NFL ceiling and of course the hand size. 

Willis has to show more evidence of going through progressions and that he can play well within a system when he isn’t asked to put the whole team on his shoulders every game. But I love his toughness and strength, his ability to throw on the move, variance in throw velocity, and of course his elite athleticism. 

He has the potential to be this interesting grab bag of traits from Lamar Jackson, Russel Wilson, and Cam Newton. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Ive finally started watching these QBs and I can’t wait till the senior bowl. 

I think people are underestimating how high Malik Willis will go or their being a little short sighted with his development time. Especially if he shows a jump at the senior bowl with a much better supporting cast around him

On up-side/traits that best translate to the NFL he’s QB1 for me. 

Willis

Corral

Howell

Pickett 

For those that don’t like Willis, what do you know for a fact that he can’t do?

I love Corral but his frame matched with his style give me serious durability concerns on the next level. Howell is great too, especially with the deep ball, but his pocket awareness bothers me, and his run style will not be something he can lean on like he does in college. Pickett had a great season, but I wonder about his NFL ceiling and of course the hand size. 

Willis has to show more evidence of going through progressions and that he can play well within a system when he isn’t asked to put the whole team on his shoulders every game. But I love his toughness and strength, his ability to throw on the move, variance in throw velocity, and of course his elite athleticism. 

He has the potential to be this interesting grab bag of traits from Lamar Jackson, Russel Wilson, and Cam Newton. 

I don’t mind Willis. But I think quarterbacks who struggle to read defenses in college tend to continue that trend at the next level. To me he seems like a one read and run around guy. He also holds the ball for a long time to try to make something happen. 

I’m not a fan of Lamar Jackson and don’t prefer that style of offense or quarterback. I think he is significantly overrated as a QB. As an athlete I think he is phenomenal. Willis is similar to that. I don’t think we’d ever really find a groove as a passing offense with Willis. Lamar is better as a passer and a better runner than Willis.

That said I think he could pan out given a good situation. His athleticism is elite. 

Not necessarily the player but I love the style of QB that Rodgers is/was. Josh Allen. Trey Lance. 

A pure runner is very Heinicke to me. Willis has a better arm but I’m not sure he’s going to have the same awareness. That was one of Heinicke’s strengths even in college whereas Willis struggles a bit with that. 

So keeping in mind the style of QB I like… Corral fits that mold best. I happen to think Howell is a better QB than Corral but not by much and Corral has the style I covet. He’d probably be my QB1 if he were a few inches taller and a bit bulkier. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Watch for Minnesota to go qb. They may be in total rebuild. I could see them moving up in draft.

New GM and HC and OC...doubtful they are going to hang their hats on Kirk, Mond and Mannion. Do they have the ammo to move up?

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t mind Willis. But I think quarterbacks who struggle to read defenses in college tend to continue that trend at the next level. To me he seems like a one read and run around guy. He also holds the ball for a long time to try to make something happen. 

I’m not a fan of Lamar Jackson and don’t prefer that style of offense or quarterback. I think he is significantly overrated as a QB. As an athlete I think he is phenomenal. Willis is similar to that. I don’t think we’d ever really find a groove as a passing offense with Willis. Lamar is better as a passer and a better runner than Willis.

That said I think he could pan out given a good situation. His athleticism is elite. 

Not necessarily the player but I love the style of QB that Rodgers is/was. Josh Allen. Trey Lance. 

A pure runner is very Heinicke to me. Willis has a better arm but I’m not sure he’s going to have the same awareness. That was one of Heinicke’s strengths even in college whereas Willis struggles a bit with that. 

So keeping in mind the style of QB I like… Corral fits that mold best. I happen to think Howell is a better QB than Corral but not by much and Corral has the style I covet. He’d probably be my QB1 if he were a few inches taller and a bit bulkier. 

I feel you and especially agree with Corral being QB 1 if he was taller and more solid. I’m approaching my evaluations with the frame that I don’t yet know if Willis is only a one read and go kind of guy. That limitation is more of an unknown to me than the limitations of the other QB’s which are more tangible/visible. 

I do know that he had the worst supporting cast of the 4 and has the greatest opportunity to show a leap with better coaching and support. I’m excited to evaluate him when he doesn’t have to play hero ball and has enough time to progress past his first read. 

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

I feel you and especially agree with Corral being QB 1 if he was taller and more solid. I’m approaching my evaluations with the frame that I don’t yet know if Willis is only a one read and go kind of guy. That limitation is more of an unknown to me than the limitations of the other QB’s which are more tangible/visible. 

I do know that he had the worst supporting cast of the 4 and has the greatest opportunity to show a leap with better coaching and support. I’m excited to evaluate him when he doesn’t have to play hero ball and has enough time to progress past his first read. 

Agree. The senior bowl is going to show us a lot for all of them and may totally shake up all of our perceived rankings. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

New GM and HC and OC...doubtful they are going to hang their hats on Kirk, Mond and Mannion. Do they have the ammo to move up?

On the flip side if they get an offensive coach like say Kellen Moore, he might look at it say "Man I got Cousins with Cook, Thielen, and Jefferson, I can win right away and put up lots of points..."

Its the same argument the Raiders have with Carr. Who are you gonna replace him with? As a new coach are you really willing to give up a proven good QB and punt away 3-4 wins at least?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

NYG have pick #5 and #7. I  think they'll go QB, as will Carolina at #6, and possibly the Saints ahead of us. Most every team needing a QB has the firepower to outbid us, and who wants to be in a bidding war? IF their guy is there at #4, it's the Jets pick that will probably yield your first choice.  If they decide to roll the dice, I could see them making at deal to move 2-3 slots if Corral is still on the board. And even that move will cost #11 plus Payne/Sweat

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

So now we are in desperation mode.

And the chances of us acquiring a big time veteran are nil. I suppose it could happen. But chances aren’t high. 

So now we look to this draft. And if it doesn’t work and we pick a true bust guess what? We need to pick another QB or acquire one via trade. 

We have to stop playing games with the position. Ideally we’d have Fields on the roster and a year in the system. But we don’t. So here we are.

I don’t think these QBs suck, you do, and that’s cool. But there is no one that you look at and say “this is the dude for sure!” So it’s risky. 

I get what you're saying, and I agree we need a QB...but I just don't think this is the draft to waste potential talent elsewhere on. We have so many damn holes all over the team that just plugging in a QB won't fix...especially if we have to trade up to get one and lose out on draft capital for next season.

So say we take Pickett or Corral with our pick....and let's say they actually turn out to be solid at ~Baker Mayfield level. We're now stuck with a mid-level QB that doesn't improve the team much from where we already were, we have huge depth holes in the secondary/LB/OL corps because we had to spend multiple high level picks to move up. We basically never escaped limbo, we just prolonged it and weakened the team overall along with ruining the primes of Allen/Young/Payne/McLaurin.

This is why I have a problem just throwing out a feeler at QB. It wouldn't bother me as much if one of these QBs were available at 11 and we took them, it's the moving up for blah QB talent I have issue with since it seems like people want to take a QB just to take a QB. If a major talent like Kyle Hamilton is available, I would be pissed we skipped him. Look at what Parsons has done to Dallas' defense. A playmaker like that can make a huge difference to the overall structure of the team. 

If our defense wasn't such **** this year, I'd be more inclined, but the key to winning in the league right now is to build the team first and then get your QB through the draft and try to win while they're on their rookie deal. That 5 year window is key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

If our defense wasn't such **** this year, I'd be more inclined, but the key to winning in the league right now is to build the team first and then get your QB through the draft and try to win while they're on their rookie deal. That 5 year window is key.

This is exactly why I think it's as good a time as any.

• Like 1

After watching the SF/Cowturds game, I'd steer clear of Jimmy G. He can manage a game. Sure. But he will also make mind numbing mistakes that will cost you games. 

And a hard pass on Trubisky as well. I've seen nothing from him that would make me think he's any better than TH.

Rodgers is probably not leaving GB anymore.  And even if he does, he sure as hell ain't coming near this team with our imbecile of an owner. 

Wilson ditto. (Thoigh I can't help but think he would thrive in Turner's offense).

The draft is about the only way we address QB this offseason and I got to be honest that it ain't exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

I do wonder if Matt Ryan might become available and if Ron would have interest 🤔

HTTR. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I wouldn't give up considerable resources for Garapolo. He's a decent QB but not a needle mover. There is a reason the 9ers spent 3 #1s to secure their QB of the future because Jimmy G ain't it.

Yup. The 49ers paid a 2nd to get Jimmy. The spent all that to replace him. Why on Earth would any pay a 2nd or more for him