Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just saw the Pickett fake slide and it really isn't egregious at all. It'd be like getting mad at guy for doing a juke move. Its a fake. It wouldn't work in the NFL anyway when opposing defenders are a lot quicker and more athletic and would easily be able to adjust to that and knock his head off.

I don't think you understand what makes it egregious.

Defenders see the QB go into that slide position and back off. If they make contact with a sliding QB they are in danger of a 15 yard penalty and a potential ejection. The second you initiate that slide the whistle should blow the play dead. Defenders cannot pursue the QB the same when he starts that motion as they can when he is running normally.

It was egregious. And while I think he deserves some slack for it, I blame the officials for allowing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m stunned nobody has mention Brock Bowers’ performance in the SEC championship game. I thought he looked like the 2nd best player in the game. What a stud. And what a performance against huge competition. 

He has a bright future. His game is unreal for a true freshman TE.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:21 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. I'd rather take a flyer on some of the second tier guys like Haener and Zappe in the 2/3/4 range than use our 1rst on one we don't love.

Haener sadly is headed back for another season.   Zappe could be interesting. 

In general, I guess I am a contrarian on the QB spot in this draft in some regard.  My take is because there isn't that rocket star obvious QB in this draft and all these guys bring different flavors that it actually works to our advantage because I see some of these guys falling.   So in my book, it plays for us versus against us.  It makes a first round QB more likely than less likely, etc. 

In other words, it wouldn't shock me if a bunch of these QBs go in the 15-25 range.  I know that's now how things typically roll for QBs in ths draft but I think this draft is looking so funky at that spot that you are going to have some surprise fallers. 

I see this as a draft where you got 5-6 prospects in this draft who have sort of that Mac Jones type brush painted on them -- by that I don't mean stylistically but in terms of there being some intrigue but also hesitation about said player.   For me personally, i am forming my opinon still on some of these guys.  But I'll add the Senior Bowl IMO is key.   Dudes like Russell Wilson, Kirk, Herbert, etc shone that week. 

As I mentioned a bunch of times, Nagy has been Yoda when it comes to pumping up the right QBs which he found to be special after being around them.  Nagy is positive about players just in general but the players he's really taken with I've found he doesn't shut about.    These QBs aren't all the same personality with the same drive and same make up -- some are really special as far as their committment and others not so much.  So hearing some of those narratives from Nagy will influence me.   Guys can get elevated or for that matter crash like Jamie Newman crashed in the Senior Bowl. 

As much as I like Corral, I don't think I'd take him with the top pick if I were the Lions.  I'd take one of the pass rushers.  Heck maybe I'd take Hutchinson, he'd be an instant star there from a fanfare stand point considering he played for Michigan.   

Rivera doesn't play his cards too close to the vest in his interviews, he sometimes can't help but show his cards.  And when the Junkies mentioned to him the rumor that they don't like the QBs in this draft, the way he scoffed at that and said they do like some prospects in this draft but he's glad people think otherwise and then in subsequent interviews talked about him being briefed every week by their scouts about college QBs -- it gives me a vibe that they indeed like some of these QBs. 

Said differently, in most drafts lets say picking 24 would stink as for getting a QB.  In this draft it might be oddly perfect.  Also if you got to trade up, if you are trading up into the mid first round that's typically not expensive.  The Jets traded up to #14 from 23 and didn't even have to give up a 2nd round pick let alone a first.  Some say for who would you trade up?  Right now, I would for Corral in the mid first round range if he's there.  I am not sure about the others I am still digesting -- but the Senior Bowl for me has to play out, i am going to weigh that heavily.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I kind of hope we punt this draft year and load up for next season. Ridder in the second or Zappe this year would be fine, but it would be great to be able to load up on picks to go get our guy next draft.

To me, the first thing I'd try to do is swing for the fences for a veteran QB.  I know we likely strike out but what the heck?   I think its a long shot but might not be as long of shot as it were weeks ago, if we sneak into the playoffs.  Back to back playoff seasons might bring a little weight?  Probably not.  But its fun to hope a little. :ols:

The fact that Russell Wilson has supposedly the NY Giants on his new short list, makes me gag.  I know we got a loser owner, with a loser stadium, and this is the Siberia of the NFL, etc.  If Wilson for example goes to the Giants, wow, what an interesting dynamic.  Does that put pressure on us?  Ditto if the Eagles trade for Deshaun Watson.  

If its the Giants with Wilson, Dallas with Dak, Eagles with Watson and us with Heinicke?    I think that would make the off season a bit wild where fans might not be feeling that hot.   Yeah I know we just beat Wilson but Wilson clearly wasn't right with his finger.  Before the injury he was lighting it up.   And still he almost beat us anyway. 

My point is there might be an interesting arms race in the off season.  Can we sit back and let the Giants and Eagles land top 10 QBs without putting up a fight if it goes down like that?  I know Watson is out for us.  But I wonder if they swing hard for Rodgers and Wilson?  I get the long shot aspect of it but I wonder if they swing hard anyway?  lol, Rodgers is pals with Alex Smith maybe Alex can talk him into it?  Alex for whatever reason seems friendly with Dan and thinks highly of this roster judging by his comments all season long.

I think this off season will be wild.  And yeah if the Giants and Eagles both swing for the fences and land stars at QBs, I'd wonder how easy it will be for Rivera to say hang with us, we are punting on this spot again, wait till the 2023 draft?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me, the first thing I'd try to do is swing for the fences for a veteran QB.  I know we likely strike out but what the heck?   I think its a long shot but might not be as long of shot as it were weeks ago, if we sneak into the playoffs.  Back to back playoff seasons might bring a little weight?  Probably not.  But its fun to hope a little. :ols:

The fact that Russell Wilson has supposedly the NY Giants on his new short list, makes me gag.  I know we got a loser owner, with a loser stadium, and this is the Siberia of the NFL, etc.  If Wilson for example goes to the Giants, wow, what an interesting dynamic.  Does that put pressure on us?  Ditto if the Eagles trade for Desaun Watson.  

If its the Giants with Wilson, Dallas with Dak, Eagles with Watson and us with Heinicke?    I think that would make the off season a bit wild where fans might not be feeling that hot.   Yeah I know we just beat Wilson but Wilson clearly wasn't right with his finger.  Before the injury he was lighting it up.   And still he almost beat us anyway. 

My point is there might be an interesting arms race in the off season.  Can we sit back and let the Giants and Eagles land top 10 QBs without putting up a fight if it goes down like that?  I know Watson is out for us.  But I wonder if they swing hard for Rodgers and Wilson?  I get the long shot aspect of it but I wonder if they swing hard anyway?  lol, Rodgers is pals with Alex Smith maybe Alex can talk him into it?  Alex for whatever reason seems friendly with Dan and thinks highly of this roster judging by his comments all season long.

I think this off season will be wild.  And yeah if the Giants and Eagles both swing for the fences and land stars at QBs, I'd wonder how easy it will be for Rivera to say hang with us, we are punting on this spot again, wait till the 2023 draft?  

I'm not worried about Rivera whatsoever. I like his patience and the lines he draws on spending resources. He gets a Gibbs like exemption from the hot seat, save for a massive melt down season, but I don't see that happening. We're a perennial top ten drafting team who may be going to the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in 30 years. That's one hell of a 2 year career around here.

Maybe we swing on a top vet, but I don't think so, unless he's already talked to Rodgers. I do think we'll draft someone, but it doesn't need to be a big fanfare desperation move. We can wait until one gets to us. We're in a good place I think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not worried about Rivera whatsoever. I like his patience and the lines he draws on spending resources. He gets a Gibbs like exemption from the hot seat, save for a massive melt down season, but I don't see that happening. We're a perennial top ten drafting team who may be going to the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in 30 years. That's one hell of a 2 year career around here.

Maybe we swing on a top vet, but I don't think so, unless he's already talked to Rodgers. I do think we'll draft someone, but it doesn't need to be a big fanfare desperation move. We can wait until one gets to us. We're in a good place I think.

Heck I was defending Rivera when it was uncool to do, during the losing streak.    I'll also go a step further, I actually i am jazzed about what this offensive staff can do with a talented QB, including a young one.   I know our staff isn't loved by all on the board but nationally they got a good reputation and IMO they deserve it.   Making an offense run with an undrafted QB who was out of football and our #2 receiver right now is an undrafted FA, also out of football not long ago, among other things.  I am intrigued about what they can do with major talent. 

My point is none of my thoughts about shooting for QBs involve Rivera doing something stupid where he makes a move just to make a move.  I am a Rivera guy.  So when I see comments like people not wanting Rivera to take a QB he doesn't love -- I shrug it off as a point that has no relevance considering I don't think Rivera would take any player he doesn't dig. 

So with those points in mind, its not that I think Rivera would do something stupid just do so something if the Giants trade for Wilson and the Eagles trade for Watson.  It's that my thought is both teams become instantly better than us.  And if so does Rivera feel more pressure to counter?  Daniel Jones and Hurts don't scare me.  We got just one franchise QB in this division.  That team likely ends up winning the division.  I don't think they are an easy team to beat.  But heck I'd love to change my mind on that front in the next few weeks. :ols:  I do think we got a decent shot to take 1 out of the 2 games.  For some odd reason, I like our odds better in Dallas than at home.   But yeah Russell Wilson with the weapons they got in NY, I think would be a better team than us.  ditto the Eagles with Watson.  But if the Eagles and the Giants stay pat at QB, I think we are better. 

• Like 1

The thought of Turner and Zampese getting the QB they want and being able to groom him, while Heinicke keeps us competitive, while not breaking the bank is extremely exciting. As you know, I'm really high on our coaches too. I love that we're in almost an Alex Smith Chiefs situation, where the team is being built and hardened as a winning team, just waiting for the right QB to come in and take it to the next level.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The thought of Turner and Zampese getting the QB they want and being able to groom him, while Heinicke keeps us competitive, while not breaking the bank is extremely exciting. As you know, I'm really high on our coaches too. I love that we're in almost an Alex Smith Chiefs situation, where the team is being built and hardened as a winning team, just waiting for the right QB to come in and take it to the next level.

Yeah agree.  And yeah I know you like the staff.   I think most people here do.  Some don't.  Cool either way.  It's all opinion.  I just noticed nationally their staff seems to be highly regarded.  And for me personally, i am intrigued to see what they can do with a talented QB to mold. 

I like the people running the show here.  They aren't perfect. They've made mistakes like any staff has.  But they are good IMO.   If somehow we make the playoffs, it will be the first time under Dan to have two back to back playoff seasons.  If they do it, I think its a big deal especially considering context.  Some play down last year because it was 7-9.  But Haskins was 1-5.  Without Haskins, they looked much better.   And this team, this season, has also been one of the most injured teams in the NFL according to some stats.  We had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL.  Heck we are in the midst of three weeks in a row where we are playing teams with extra rest. 

A heck of a lot of adversity.  If you told me with our killer schedule, we'd play the whole season without Fitz, most of the season without Chase, Sweat, Logan Thomas, Curtis Samuel and would be down to our 4th center along with a ton of injuries on the O line and DeAndre Carter would be our #2 WR -- I'd say we'd be on our way for a top 5 pick. 

Main reason why I am throwing the veteran QB possibility is because of Mike Silver's article about Rivera and Qbs.  Silver is probably the closest reporter to Rivera so I take his rap seriously.  If some of these veterans were on the table for them, clearly they like them.  Would they sit back and not put a fight to have them land against them in their own division?  For example, if they dug Wilson, i gather they did considering this article, what it be yawn let the Giants go get him and lets see what happens?

That's what i mean about them possibly competiting with a division foe for a QB.    If you actually wanted the player, hard for me to believe not only would you let it go the following off season but be cool with said target playing against you in your own division as if its no big deal?  Granted they might not be able to do anything about it.  But for example if their mindset is Russell Wilson can make us a SB team, I doubt they'd shrug off that same player going to a division rival?

All the QB talk from Keim and Silver, etc from the previous off season has given me the vibe that they will swing for fences this off season.  And granted Heinicke's progress though this season and maybe post season might influence this too one way or another. 

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-football-ron-rivera-explains-signing-ryan-fitzpatrick

In truth, coach Ron Rivera and the organization's other powerbrokers were tempted to bring in a quarterback with more marquee value. They made an inquiry about Stafford, following up with an offer to Detroit. At one point, Rivera believed Washington had an excellent shot at landing Stafford, before the Lions and Rams hastily hammered out their trade terms.

...There was a point in late January when Rivera believed Stafford might be that veteran quarterback. Washington had made an opening offer that included first- and third-round selections in the 2021 draft, and there was a palpable sense in the building that they could close a deal with the Lions. Then came the Saturday Night Surprise: Rivera, like many others around the league, was stunned when he learned that Detroit had instead agreed to trade Stafford to the Rams for two future first-round picks, a 2021 third-round choice and Jared Goff, with L.A. having sweetened the package in an effort to shed Goff's contract.

At various times, Rivera contemplated making a run at Wilson, Watson (before his legal troubles surfaced, including 22 civil lawsuits accusing the Texans quarterback of sexual assault and sexual misconduct) or Rodgers, whose dissatisfaction with the Packers became public hours before the start of the draft. In each case, they concluded that the price was prohibitive. Said Rivera: "Who wouldn't check in with those teams and do their due diligence to see what the cost would be to get a guy of that caliber?"

...If everything goes according to Fitzpatrick's plan, he may add another complicating factor to the organization's quest for a long-term solution at the sport's most important position. For Rivera, having resisted the temptation to overextend in pursuit of a franchise passer heading into the 2021 campaign, a big year from his handpicked 38-year-old caretaker would be a good problem to have.

"We've got our fingers crossed that we're doing the right thing," Rivera said. "We do want to try to keep our own; we feel really good about our own. We'd like to get everything else in place and then take a step back and address that position and say, 'Now it's time, guys. Let's roll.'

"Next year, if all goes well, it'll be like, 'Man, we've got all the pieces now.' Then we can decide: Is it time to draft a young one, trade for one or, who knows, maybe Fitz has another year in him?"

The possibilities are tantalizing, including the prospect of a superstar such as Rodgers or Wilson in burgundy and gold, with a stacked roster around him built to maximize the opportunity. In the meantime, Fitzpatrick is the man charged with trying to make Washington's offense take off -- no Known Traveler number required.

• Like 1

We need to draft a true running back next year. I like Antonio but he just hasn’t learned all the nuances of playing running back. I’m tired of the fumbles and not being able to consistently get 2-3 yards. For a 230lb 4.4 guy he always seems to fall on first contact and doesn’t have the speed or nimble enough feet to hit the hole quickly. 

Patterson isn’t the answer and JD is suited in his current role. We need a guy who has played running back his entire life, not converting one. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

We need to draft a true running back next year. I like Antonio but he just hasn’t learned all the nuances of playing running back. I’m tired of the fumbles and not being able to consistently get 2-3 yards. For a 230lb 4.4 guy he always seems to fall on first contact and doesn’t have the speed or nimble enough feet to hit the hole quickly. 

Patterson isn’t the answer and JD is suited in his current role. We need a guy who has played running back his entire life, not converting one. 

Yeah I'm with you. I still like Gibson's talent but he's not really a pure RB and we need to stop using him like one. He's more of a hybrid, he's like a bigger Chris Thompson. His vision in traffic is poor but when he gets space and can plant and cut he can look special. I'd love to pair him with a real workhorse grinder type.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'm with you. I still like Gibson's talent but he's not really a pure RB and we need to stop using him like one. He's more of a hybrid, he's like a bigger Chris Thompson. His vision in traffic is poor but when he gets space and can plant and cut he can look special. I'd love to pair him with a real workhorse grinder type.

I agree with you that at times Gibson looks special but we need a workhorse at running back. I think making a change with Randy Jordan and the female coach might help. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-mock-draft-philadelphia-eagles-ole-miss-qb-matt-corral-kansas-city-chiefs-usc-wr-drake-london

2022 NFL Mock Draft: Philadelphia Eagles select Ole Miss QB Matt Corral, Kansas City Chiefs snag USC wideout Drake London

1. DETROIT LIONS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

Size, athleticism and production — Aidan Hutchinson has it all. In the PFF College era (2014-21), only Chase Young and Josh Allen have earned higher PFF pass-rushing grades in a single season than Hutchinson’s 93.6 in 2021. He also led all Power Five defenders in total pressures (73), including a whopping 15 against an Ohio State offensive line that was in the running for the Joe Moore Award before their November trip to Ann Arbor.

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound Michigan phenom should only continue to turn heads at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Coming in at No. 2 on Bruce Feldman’s 2021 College Football Freaks List, Hutchinson reportedly timed a 6.54-second three-cone, 36-inch vertical, 4.07-second short shuttle and 4.64-second 40-yard dash.

“He’s gonna test really well when he goes to the combine,” one source said to Feldman. “He has a huge chip on his shoulder and can be right where Kwity was (in those agility numbers), running low 4.6s, with a mid-30s vert, but he’s over 6-6, and he’s gonna bench (225) in the 30s.”

The Hutchinson-Thibodeaux discourse will run through late April, but I’m riding with Jim Harbaugh right now.

15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: QB KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH

A consistent knock on Kenny Pickett will be that he’s a fifth-year senior and one of the older quarterback prospects in the 2022 class, but that shouldn’t keep him from being a top-20 pick in April’s draft. A finalist for the Heisman, Pickett completed 334-of-499 attempts for 4,308 yards, 42 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season. He earned a career-high 92.3 PFF grade that ranked top-five among all quarterbacks in 2021. His PFF passing grade when kept clean was also among the best in all of college football at 94.3.

Related: Super Senior: How Kenny Pickett's “no regrets” mentality has him on the cusp of breaking a Dan Marino record

16. DENVER BRONCOS: LB DEVIN LLOYD, UTAH

All of “Draft Twitter” will fall in love with Devin Lloyd. The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Utah off-ball linebacker was a heat-seeking missile for the Utes and an every-down impact player. He earned a 91.1 PFF grade as one of college football’s top defenders in the country in 2021.

17. CINCINNATI BENGALS: LB NAKOBE DEAN, GEORGIA

Dean possesses a lot of the traits NFL defenses look for in a modern off-ball linebacker. He’s a rangy athlete with insane explosiveness that shows up in the passing game when blitzing and in coverage. He earned a 91.6 pass-rushing grade and a 90.5 coverage grade as a key piece of the top-ranked Georgia defense in 2021.

18. CLEVELAND BROWNS: EDGE TREVON WALKER, GEORGIA

Walker is far from a finished product, but he doesn’t have to be to come off the board early in the 2022 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound defensive lineman has rare physical tools that NFL teams will look to develop into high-end production at the next level.

19. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB SAM HOWELL, UNC

Howell watched his top receivers and top running backs go onto the NFL while he stayed back at Chapel Hill and still managed to earn a 90.0 PFF grade in 2021. The drop-off in talent with his supporting cast took a baseball bat to UNC’s chances to be competitive in the ACC, but Howell still showed out as one of college football’s top signal-callers. He has a rocket arm with plus mobility for the position, enough for Washington to pull the trigger on his talents at No. 18 overall, if not sooner. 

• Like 3

Lions

Aidan Hutchinson

EDGE, Michigan

Welcome to the top spot, Mr. Hutchinson. The runner up to the 2021 Heisman Trophy can certainly keep banking on "outstanding" as an adjective to describe his game. Hutchinson is a high-floor, high-ceiling defender with a plethora of rush moves and surreal power to collapse angles and soften his path to the quarterback. And you've seen a steady stream of acceptance from the draft space that this might be the right guy to be drafting at No. 1 overall. I happen to agree, largely because I'm comfortable in what I'm getting with the pick. Hutchinson, barring injury, feels like a low variance prospect.

Detroit needs big hits in the draft to turn this thing around. I can't think of a better way to start than with a local kid from the state of Michigan who plays the brand of football that head coach Dan Campbell will love.

Washington

Charles Cross

OT, Mississippi State

Cross is one of the best pass protectors in the country and teams routinely fall in love with sweet feet and quick-twitch ability on the edge of their protections. Yes, Cross plays in an Air Raid attack that often allows the ball to get out quickly, but you see the athletic ability clear as day and I have a greater comfort level in Cross' technique than I did in fellow Mike Leach alumni Andre Dillard—a former first-round pick who I thought relied too often on that quick snap-to-release ratio on his journey to becoming a top pick.

In Washington, Cross can step in as the heir to since departed tackle Trent Williams. His play in pass protection would go a long way against some fearsome pass-rush talent in the NFC East.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lions

Aidan Hutchinson

EDGE, Michigan

Welcome to the top spot, Mr. Hutchinson. The runner up to the 2021 Heisman Trophy can certainly keep banking on "outstanding" as an adjective to describe his game. Hutchinson is a high-floor, high-ceiling defender with a plethora of rush moves and surreal power to collapse angles and soften his path to the quarterback. And you've seen a steady stream of acceptance from the draft space that this might be the right guy to be drafting at No. 1 overall. I happen to agree, largely because I'm comfortable in what I'm getting with the pick. Hutchinson, barring injury, feels like a low variance prospect.

Detroit needs big hits in the draft to turn this thing around. I can't think of a better way to start than with a local kid from the state of Michigan who plays the brand of football that head coach Dan Campbell will love.

Washington

Charles Cross

OT, Mississippi State

Cross is one of the best pass protectors in the country and teams routinely fall in love with sweet feet and quick-twitch ability on the edge of their protections. Yes, Cross plays in an Air Raid attack that often allows the ball to get out quickly, but you see the athletic ability clear as day and I have a greater comfort level in Cross' technique than I did in fellow Mike Leach alumni Andre Dillard—a former first-round pick who I thought relied too often on that quick snap-to-release ratio on his journey to becoming a top pick.

In Washington, Cross can step in as the heir to since departed tackle Trent Williams. His play in pass protection would go a long way against some fearsome pass-rush talent in the NFC East.

While I see the appeal of having a LT on a rookie contract, I'd rather stick with Leno if he is willing to resign for a reasonable salary

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW, McShay's 1st Mock was covered on Get Up and here's how he projected QB's.

This would be awesome, but I really really have a hard time seeing no QBs going before 12. Though in 2013 no QB went until 16, so it's technically possible I suppose.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1