Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

I think our biggest needs after QB (love Heinicke but he isn't the long-term solution) are LB, FS and CB. I'd also take a hard look at WR to pair with Terry and Curtis as Dyami hasn't been promising so far. Luckily the draft looks good for all of those positions (from my unprofessional point of view).

Against the opinion of most others I also already said a couple of weeks back that I feel this QB class might be a good one for us in a weird way. There are a couple of prospects that are talented enough to be first rounders but are not necessarily top 5 picks. There was a report some weeks ago that we are scouting the QBs hard and that there is 1 or maybe even more that our front office seems to really like at this point. So maybe we get lucky and we can grab that player in the teens without having to sell the farm.

Time will tell but if not we can still roll with Heinicke or potentially sign another vet. But even if we don't get/draft a QB early, there are several first round players that fit our need. And one of them will be available when we pick.

I’ve had the same thought vis-a-vis qb - this draft could work out for us in this regard, whether it’s one falling to our first pick, one slipping to the 2nd, and/or trading up/back for one.  I think Taylor’s play has alleviated some of the need to force a pick.  I could see some angst among fans if it goes that route - avoiding the 4th or 5th (or whatever) qb because the staff doesn’t love the prospect.  

I’ll be honest though, I’m looking at this long term and that might not work in terms of RR’s tenure.  Not taking a qb and having a sub par season could lead to consequences.

• Like 1

Ridder is having a nice game so far.  In some ways he reminds me of what I used to think of Drew Lock.  They are different QBs stylistically.  But my emotions about them run similar.  I liked Lock in some ways and in some ways I didn't.  I would say back then I could see the narrative for why he makes it but also why he doesn't.

I think I am trending a little more positive about Ridder than I did about Lock but I've not been able to talk myself into be fully sold on him.  But his talent is intriguing.  I thought the previous week was one of his better games.  He looks sharp today too.  His accuracy can come and go but its been sharp of late. 

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kind of a weird year where most of the best skill players on offense are big 10 guys.

Agree.  I think Jameson Williams should be in that mix, ironic he had to transfer from Ohio State though. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

lol, I jinxed Ridder he comes out on the first drive in the 2nd half and struggles.  Blows a quick out route which IMO is a throw he too often for my liking struggles with just in general.  Then overthrows an intermediate route.  Then he throws a bad pick.

As I've mentioned before for me what makes Ridder a confusing evaluation is he can be kind of a schizophrenic type QB.  Like two different dudes depending on the game-quarter.  More good than bad though for sure. 

Ridder again in this game with some dumb decisions.   I'll double down with what I said about him last weekend -- decision making is a red flag with me as to him.  He's not as atrocious as I found Rosen and Darnold as for making shake your head type decisions.  But I'll say of the top 6 QBs in this draft from my watching thus far -- Ridder has the biggest red flag among that group for me as far as decision making. 

• Thanks 1

Watching Howell now.  I like to say he's a poor man's Corral and i am sticking with that. 

I like him because he plays with moxie.  Throws a nice deep ball.  Good arm strength.  Decent mobility.   Can make throws in the move. His accuracy is good when you give him time.  His O line isn't hot and he's been getting a good grounding on NFL type of punishment that he might endure at times in the league.  He has the toughness to deal with adversity and bounce back from it.   Getting hit doesn't seem to effect his game.  

But IMO the reasons why Corral > Howell.  Howell's pocket presence to me is lacking at times.  He doesn't seem to have hot peripheral vision.   I can see him getting sacked a bunch in the NFL.  Corral IMO has better pocket presence and just seems to process things faster to my eyes than Howell does -- and that's true to my eyes both as a passer and a runner.    I think Corral's mobility will translate better to the NFL than Howell.  And I don't mean just as a runner on the move but also as far as dodging pressure in the pocket. 

But I love Howell's toughness.  And Howell, Corral and Strong throw really good deep balls.  the irony is none of them have the horses to catch the deep ball well when I watch them.  The one thing I like for Howell over Corral is he's a beefier dude who I think can physically take a pounding better.

• Like 2

The difference for me is the lower half.  Pickett and Corral have a lower base that seems to anchor them, when times get tough.  Howell's lower half is strong, but skiddish.  There's a fine line between quick feet and happy feet.  Unfortunately, right now, Howell has some skiddish feet, behind a bad offensive line.  He'll need some re-programming.  The safer bet is Pickett and Corral.

Edit:  After re-watching more of Howell, he does have the potential for a strong base, he just needs to settle down.

Edited by ium786

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ridder again in this game with some dumb decisions.   I'll double down with what I said about him last weekend -- decision making is a red flag with me as to him.  He's not as atrocious as I found Rosen and Darnold as for making shake your head type decisions.  But I'll say of the top 6 QBs in this draft from my watching thus far -- Ridder has the biggest red flag among that group for me as far as decision making. 

You  have been one of the biggest Ridder supporters so this is a big statement. I do agree, last year he so inconsistent. This year he has looked much more consistent which has brought me back into his fan club...then pulls some old style boners. He can't shake them and if he gets frustrated at all he digresses. 

9 hours ago, ium786 said:

The difference for me is the lower half.  Pickett and Corral have a lower base that seems to anchor them, when times get tough.  Howell's lower half is strong, but skiddish.  There's a fine line between quick feet and happy feet.  Unfortunately, right now, Howell has some skiddish feet, behind a bad offensive line.  He'll need some re-programming.  The safer bet is Pickett and Corral.

Edit:  After re-watching more of Howell, he does have the potential for a strong base, he just needs to settle down.

Imagine Howell being able to become comfortable in the picket behind a good OL line ours. Add another RB next year and a healthy Samuel, I don't we think would see skiddish

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ium786 said:

That Pitt game showed me why Howell has happy feet this year. His OL was absolutely terrible in the first half of that game at protecting him

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

You  have been one of the biggest Ridder supporters so this is a big statement. I do agree, last year he so inconsistent. This year he has looked much more consistent which has brought me back into his fan club...then pulls some old style boners. He can't shake them and if he gets frustrated at all he digresses. 

Part of the reason why I sometime repeat my prior takes on players is I try to learn from them.  Sometimes via getting it right in the past and sometimes via getting it wrong. And I've become a bit of a zealot on being concerned about poor decision making especially if it accompanies inconsistent accuracy because that combination = Darnold and Rosen.  

I used to shrug off decision making by thinking talent is much more important and decision making can be learned.  I've become more cynical about that over time.  I am less convinced decision making can be learned.  I like to quote Arians book on QBs a lot and one of his big points is that just about any QB can process a defense if you give them time.  But its all about processing fast.  That makes all the difference.  QBs who can see things and process things fast. 

QBs that tend to make bad decisions somewhat on a regular basis from game to game to game -- I've concluded that its likely a combination of not seeing the field and not processing things lightening quick.   I spent a lot of time on both Rosen and Darnold and saw they had that fatal flaw to my eyes.   Picks alone do not tell the story IMO.  In college, you often can get away with errant throws that you can't in the pros.    Ridder did have two picks yesterday but it was more than just those 2 throws to me.

Of the QBs I've watched I don't really have a red flag on any of them as for decision making.  But I do have a red flag on Ridder on that front now.  Also his inconsistency also reminds me some of Darnold.  In his defense, none of what I watched is as flagrant as what I've seen from Darnold.  If it were, I'd be out on Ridder.  I am not out on Ridder but I think I am confident to say I'd take 5 QBs over him.  

I'll say this in defense of Ridder.  When he's on he's a lot of fun.  But bringing this back to Drew Lock, my feeling about Ridder mirror what I thought about Lock (not as far as them being similar players but the inconsistency-upside combination) I could see a narrative where he can make it, but I can also see a narrative equally strong where he doesn't. 

12 hours ago, ium786 said:

He does not look as fluid as Corral or Pickett -- maybe that is about the standard lower body (footwork) matching the upper body where its in synch.  I haven't really looked super close at it though so not sure.  

I've liked to say Howell is a poor man's Corral.  They both have some similar attributes and style.  But it didn't really hit me hard why I like Corral over Howell until last night.  and I think for me its Corral has the proverbial eyes in the back of his head.  He senses pocket pressure IMO and moves away from it almost effortlessly at times or so it looks.  Howell to me doesn't have that peripheral vision and is "meh" at sensing pressure.   Corral seems to play and process a little faster just in general over Howell.

But I like Howell's arm talent.  Throws a beautiful deep ball.  Tough as nails.    Good range of accuracy if you give him time.  I haven't really zeroed in on him as for tight windows, yet. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Part of the reason why I sometime repeat my prior takes on players is I try to learn from them.  Sometimes via getting it right in the past and sometimes via getting it wrong. And I've become a bit of a zealot on being concerned about poor decision making especially if it accompanies inconsistent accuracy because that combination = Darnold and Rosen.  

I used to shrug off decision making by thinking talent is much more important and decision making can be learned.  I've become more cynical about that over time.  I am less convinced decision making can be learned.  I like to quote Arians book on QBs a lot and one of his big points is that just about any QB can process a defense if you give them time.  But its all about processing fast.  That makes all the difference.  QBs who can see things and process things fast. 

QBs that tend to make bad decisions somewhat on a regular basis from game to game to game -- I've concluded that its likely a combination of not seeing the field and not processing things lightening quick.   I spent a lot of time on both Rosen and Darnold and saw they had that fatal flaw to my eyes.   Picks alone do not tell the story IMO.  In college, you often can get away with errant throws that you can't in the pros.    Ridder did have two picks yesterday but it was more than just those 2 throws to me.

Of the QBs I've watched I don't really have a red flag on any of them as for decision making.  But I do have a red flag on Ridder on that front now.  Also his inconsistency also reminds me some of Darnold.  In his defense, none of what I watched is as flagrant as what I've seen from Darnold.  If it were, I'd be out on Ridder.  I am not out on Ridder but I think I am confident to say I'd take 5 QBs over him.  

I'll say this in defense of Ridder.  When he's on he's a lot of fun.  But bringing this back to Drew Lock, my feeling about Ridder mirror what I thought about Lock (not as far as them being similar players but the inconsistency-upside combination) I could see a narrative where he can make it, but I can also see a narrative equally strong where he doesn't. 

Fast processing has never been more important and so many college kids are in one read and run offenses, it's simple processing.

I still like don't love Ridder. I can kind of see the Lock comparison. Ridder feels like a late first early second rounder, exactly how I felt about Lock. I think Ridder has more upside, and so many great qualities.  Ridders decision making has improved this year, he is better than Darnold IMO. I figure you may agree too, based on our prior Darnold conversations lol.

Hutchinson doesn't get the hype of Thibodeaux but IMO he's at worst a half a peg below.  All that dude does is create havoc.   I think he will be a great NFL pass rusher.

I really hope he doesn't end up in Philly or NY.  I saw a recent mock where he and Thibodeaux went #1 and #2.  Outside of a QB not being in that mix -- that scenario doesn't seem crazy to me. 

36 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Fast processing has never been more important and so many college kids are in one read and run offenses, it's simple processing.

I still like don't love Ridder. I can kind of see the Lock comparison. Ridder feels like a late first early second rounder, exactly how I felt about Lock. I think Ridder has more upside, and so many great qualities.  Ridders decision making has improved this year, he is better than Darnold IMO. I figure you may agree too, based on our prior Darnold conversations lol.

Yeah Ridder is the hardest evaluation for me among the QBs with Strong being the 2nd hardest.  For that reason he reminds me of what I thought about Lock.  I would go back and forth on Lock and couldn't quite make up my mind.

Yeah if I thought Ridder was a clone of Darnold, I'd be out on him completely.   There is enough there with Ridder where I am intrigued but no way would I take him early in the first.  To me he's a late first at best, but belongs more in the 2nd round IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

While he’s making some good plays, his receivers are really bailing him out 

He definitely has good receivers. As a QB he looks to be a really nice package. 5 star recruit. Throws a catchable ball.  Arm strength. Makes plays in the move. Decent mobility.  Poise.  I haven’t sat down and studied him but watching him in real time, I’ve been impressed.

He and B. Young are putting up video game insane level numbers this season.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He definitely has good receivers. As a QB he looks to be a really nice package. 5 star recruit. Throws a catchable ball.  Arm strength. Makes plays in the move. Decent mobility.  Poise.  I haven’t sat down and studied him but watching him in real time, I’ve been impressed.

He and B. Young are putting up video game insane level numbers this season.

I don’t like Stroud. This game is an example of his numbers lookin better because of his receivers. All three of the studs have saved his ass today.