Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, lovemaskins said:

List loses credibility not including Tampa Bay, Kansas City, L.A. Rams, and perhaps Green Bay.  Those are deep rosters that made the playoffs (and yeah one of the trash NFC East teams had to make it too).

We were in talks for the number 1 pick last year, now we’re a top 10/ top 5 roster and only a couple of players away from Championship level aspirations? Why because we signed a corner and a lone wideout???  

I’m as much a fan as any but we need to slow the hell down.  We have multiple holes to fill, still a lack of offensive weapons, no linebackers or Free safety and folks are talking our “window open.”

You Dont Say Stand Up GIF

I mean he said top 10 and only named 6 teams so those other teams could very likely be on his list. 

Seems like most of the teams on his list have good rosters but are lacking QBs. Maybe you and I are seeing different things with the team but I for one am impressed we even got to 7-9 with who our QBs were last year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There just aren't many if any quality FAs available that would make a tremendous difference. The real good ones like Lavante David and Matt Milano resigned with their teams pretty quickly. 

My guess is we're targeting one in the draft, or Rivera/JDR feel like with their expertise they can coach up some less heralded prospects that should play just fine especially behind our DL.

Or by now (having been around football for decades) they realize that spending a lot of assets to acquire mediocre players is not better than spending less assets to acquire mediocre players.  If the supply of available significant upgrades at LB isn't there, you compensate by adjusting your defensive plan.  Maybe the answer is in the draft but you can't squeeze good LB play from a turnip.

• Like 1

I’m fine with bringing back Moreau and Johnson. We need cheap depth and two more CB signings means more draft resources spent on LB. it’s fairly clear we’re going heavy on LB, WR, TE in draft. I’d be shocked if those three plus QB aren’t out first four picks.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm still a bit mystified by our Linebacker issue. Do they not think it's as big of a problem as the rest of us? Do they know it is, but just couldn't find the right fit via FA/trade? Do they know it is but have multiple guys in the draft that they like?

I really hope it isn't the first. They know way more about football than I do, but I still don't see how anyone could look at how bad we were gashed in the run game and on shallow routes because of our subpar LB corps and not realize that it's a glaring hole.

I get mixed messages on it so hard for me to land on a hard opinion on the LB spot.

I've heard reporters say Rivera likes Bostic.  I've heard Rivera say multiple times that what's missing on this defense to take the next step is a MLB.  Mark Bullock who watches a lot of film over and over again about our team seems convinced that WLB is the weak spot and while Bostic isn't hot, bur he's at least OK.  PFF scores don't back the idea that Bostic is OK -- I recall Cooley isn't a fan either based on his film study. 

Keim has said its a good draft for LB.  As we all know.  But not sure if he's saying that because that's how the team sees it or that's how he sees it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This news is a good example of many potential cuts still coming before and after the draft plus post June 1 (if already used that distinction on other cuts).  There will be some vets with good skills avail that we can still sign.  Glad to see we are being patient and waiting for the people that our people have deemed potential cuts.  If everyone else looking at that position signs peeps up and fills their slots, if a skilled vet then comes out on the market we will be a destination to look at as we have possible starting slots (and money) available for them.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Every last game is always meaningful because if you lose and you're not in the playoffs, you improve your draft position.  Right?

Most teams that are truly bad don't become good due to draft position.  Even when a bad team becomes good "overnight" it is usually because coaching changed and/or the talent on the current roster was actually better than they appeared. I also don't think a game is meaningful if you hope your team loses.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get mixed messages on it so hard for me to land on a hard opinion on the LB spot.

I've heard reporters say Rivera likes Bostic.  I've heard Rivera say multiple times that what's missing on this defense to take the next step is a MLB.  Mark Bullock who watches a lot of film over and over again about our team seems convinced that WLB is the weak spot and while Bostic isn't hot, bur he's at least OK.  PFF scores don't back the idea that Bostic is OK -- I recall Cooley isn't a fan either based on his film study. 

Keim has said its a good draft for LB.  As we all know.  But not sure if he's saying that because that's how the team sees it or that's how he sees it. 

Something tells me the team likes JHC at WLB.  Get someone like Cox in the draft for MLB who has already played in this system and things don't look so bad.  JHC-Cox-Holcomb as the starters with Mayo/Bostic/Hudson backing up and specific schemes.

I also think we will see a lot of "Big Nickel" this year with Curl and Collins on the field at the same time with Collins essentially playing the SAM

EDIT:  Still think Collins should move to Will just like Neal is doing in Dallas.  His weaknesses would become strengths at that position and he has the build for the new era of LB's.

Edited by Master Blaster

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bostic looks like a really good leader to me on the field. That's one thing I will say that will be hard to replace, leadership from him seems to be natural. He isn't a beast on the field, but he's the first one over to congratulate one of our defenders on a good tackle. I like his ability to captain a defense but I don't like his play. Obviously it would be nice to have a guy that did both lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

57 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m fine with bringing back Moreau and Johnson. We need cheap depth and two more CB signings means more draft resources spent on LB. it’s fairly clear we’re going heavy on LB, WR, TE in draft. I’d be shocked if those three plus QB aren’t out first four picks.

I wouldnt be. OT,FS,RB could fit BPA.

Another thing about LB is that we were in Nickel so often last year, and in general teams across the league are in Nickel quite a bit, that we really only need two starting quality LBs. If they feel Holcomb is one(I think he might be, but I'm not sure, he has his moments though)then they really only need one. If you can get someone like Zaven Collins in the draft and pair him with Holcomb, we might be set at LB for the next ~5 years. Can just plug in a JAG when we go to 3 linebacker fronts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I wouldnt be. OT,FS,RB could fit BPA.

If we're not getting Najee at 19 then I can see us waiting til much later at RB. FS is also a possibility but it's fairly deep this year. OT is always a wild card but if we do somehow manage to bring Trai Turner in then I can see us holding out.

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

WFT was at its best from 1971 to 1992.  Only 5 times was the last game meaningless to us. During that period, Dallas lost two NFC CHAMPIONSHIP games to us and another to the Eagles. We also lost one to the Giants. In most seasons, the NFC-East sent two teams to the playoffs and on a couple of occasions three! Washington was in 5 SBs while the rest of the NFC-East saw 6.

Yep.  Being 60, I remember all of those years vividly.  The best of times. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Another thing about LB is that we were in Nickel so often last year, and in general teams across the league are in Nickel quite a bit, that we really only need two starting quality LBs. If they feel Holcomb is one(I think he might be, but I'm not sure, he has his moments though)then they really only need one. If you can get someone like Zaven Collins in the draft and pair him with Holcomb, we might be set at LB for the next ~5 years. Can just plug in a JAG when we go to 3 linebacker fronts.

I’ve been saying this for 2 years. Welcome aboard.

Though I’m not sold on Holcomb yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

List loses credibility not including Tampa Bay, Kansas City, L.A. Rams, and perhaps Green Bay.  Those are deep rosters that made the playoffs (and yeah one of the trash NFC East teams had to make it too).

We were in talks for the number 1 pick last year, now we’re a top 10/ top 5 roster and only a couple of players away from Championship level aspirations? Why because we signed a corner and a lone wideout???  

I’m as much a fan as any but we need to slow the hell down.  We have multiple holes to fill, still a lack of offensive weapons, no linebackers or Free safety and folks are talking our “window open.”

If you add the four you listed, it equals the 10 referenced (Browns, Bronco's, WFT, 49'ers, Pats, and Giants) in the tweet.  He did not include them methinks because those 4 were assumed. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I mean he said top 10 and only named 6 teams so those other teams could very likely be on his list. 

Seems like most of the teams on his list have good rosters but are lacking QBs. Maybe you and I are seeing different things with the team but I for one am impressed we even got to 7-9 with who our QBs were last year.

Sorry I missed your post BY, did not mean to be redundant! 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Something tells me the team likes JHC at WLB. 

I doubt that’s plan A or B, this staff hasn’t even seen him in person, after he opted out. He’s got some ground to make up against whoever else they bring in. 

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What could tell you that?  They don't know JHC, he opted out, I'm not even sure if they've seen him in person.

Hunch.  Same hunch I had last year when everyone was counting on SDH and I said I'd be surprised if he makes the team.  He did but got cut.

• Like 1