Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'd be fine with 2 years.  I really would.  He's 30 and not getting any younger.

Problem is if you do a 2 year deal it really doesnt help the team as far as cap ramifications go. You want the ability to spread the bonus out and backload the contract. WIthout that you may as well pay him year to year. 

• Like 1

The Washington Football Team has plenty of money to spend in free agency this year and need to upgrade several spots on offense. The tight end position is one that is often overlooked thanks to Logan Thomas’ breakout campaign in 2020, but Washington has little depth behind him and Offensive Coordinator Scott Turner enjoyed using multiple tight end sets in Carolina. The top tight end on the market is Hunter Henry, and Washington could well make a play for him, but perhaps the team is concerned about his injury history and wants to look elsewhere. The next free agent tight end I’d seriously consider if I were Washington would be Jonnu Smith. 

It's no secret Washington needs to overhaul the middle of their defense, and with Del Rio and Ron Rivera former linebackers, both coaches take a hard look at their defensive signal-callers. It would be easy to project Bills' LB Matt Milano, but that's going to carry an $11 million price tag. Titans LB Jaylon Brown will probably have a similar price tag. 

Now, I do think and have stated that Washington will spend some money this offseason, but after using the franchise tag on Brandon Scherff and the receiver market growing more competitive after franchise tags for Chris Godwin and Allen Robinson, the Burgundy and Gold might have to bargain shop again at LB. That worked well last year at tight end and running back — two important positions — and if there's any one spot Rivera and Del Rio likely believe they can identify, it's linebacker.

Anthony Walker.

A fifth-round pick out of Northwestern in 2017, Walker's only 25 and has averaged nearly 110 tackles per season for the last three years playing in Indianapolis. He hasn't missed a game since 2018 and he fills out the box score: In the last two seasons Walker has two interceptions, seven passes defended, 2.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

The ability is there, and there's size too — 6-foot-1, 230 lbs. — but more importantly, is the smarts.

Listen to Colts GM Chris Ballard talk about Walker:

"Mark my words on this, if Anthony Walker gets into coaching, he will be a head football coach in the National Football League. And if he gets into scouting, he’ll be a general manager. He’s brilliant, absolutely brilliant and he’s made of the right stuff."

Ballard is considered among the best GMs in the NFL, and if he's saying that about Walker, Washington should listen. It's important to note that as much as Ballard likes Walker, the Colts are still expected to let him walk. That means something, but that says a lot about Indy's gifted young LBs in Darius Leonard and Bobby Okereke. Those two are freak athlete tackle machines, neither of which will ever shop in the bargain aisle. 

Walker is a better downhill 'backer than in coverage, but he's not a liability in pass situations. That's vital. 

Remember how little fanfare there was for Logan Thomas? Same thing for J.D. McKissic? Walker should be the next name in that line. 

"Selfless. Team guy. Rare leader."

That's how Ballard described Walker, and that sounds like a Rivera guy if I ever heard one. 

Walker's PFF scores aren't too hot 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 10.13.41 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10

I have no idea how the non-exclusive franchise tag works if you assigned a guy (like Scherff) from exclusive last year to non-exclusive this year but Breer shows an NFL statement that has non-exclusive offensive lineman to be $13,754m.  If that's really the case, good for WFT.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I have no idea how the non-exclusive franchise tag works if you assigned a guy (like Scherff) from exclusive last year to non-exclusive this year but Breer shows an NFL statement that has non-exclusive offensive lineman to be $13,754m.  If that's really the case, good for WFT.

I don’t think this applies to Scherff because this is his second tag which requires 120% of the previous season’s salary.  At least that’s how I understand it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I’m not a Cap guru by any means, but I’m assuming that Breer’s tweet doesn’t apply to Sherff’s situation. The numbers he posted look like this years tag numbers for players getting their first tag this year? 

Sherff’s number is 120% of the tag he signed last year, which was a higher number because the cap was higher last year. That sound correct?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lovi said:

Yeah but Cam Simms is second on that list.  Not overwhelming me there.

In fairness Cam Sims really played nicely once Heineke took over. Those two had some decent chemistry together. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

I listened to the full press conference my 4 key takeaways:

A. they got two targets they will swing hard for from the jump in FA -- assuming biggish names

B.  If they miss on them they will ratchet down their approach to make it similar to last year.  

C.  He hates the idea of going to the draft with key needs that need to be addressed.  He's not thinking like some on this thread are that I'll save that need to the draft and try to fix it there.  He wants to address needs in some fashion or form in FA so he can go pure BPA in the draft.   He doesn't want to be boxed in where he has to find a specific position in the draft.  He made a variation of this point multiple times.

D.  He isn't hiding that they are active in trying to find a QB.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the team has a certain amount of cap space this year and they don’t use it for free agents, can they use that space to resign guys like Jon Allen, Payne etc now and push the bulk of the financial hit this year while locking them up? That’s what I would do instead of forcing myself to sign FA for the sake of it.

• Like 1