Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What book are you reading?

The Evil Genius

16 hours ago, Destino said:

I can see why this would be your favorite fiction book. Truly excellent. The whole ending with Haydée is probably a bit problematic by todays standards but amazing read. Dantės was a lot less heroic than I expected having seen the movie.

Ali, his servant, was scheduled to have his tongue cut off, be tortured, then executed. Dantės, wanting a servant that could not speak, waited until after they cut his tongue off to intercede on his behalf. Right there I knew this guy was not the same dude that went into prison. 

It’s so good, largely because Dantes isnt heroic, he is just single mindedly bent on revenge. 

I figured that out went he STARTED by building a relationship with one of his target’s kids. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

9780345504975-1.jpg

Worth a TV serie imo. The Passage is volume one of three 1200+ pages.

"A century ago, the world descended into chaos. An epidemic, the origin of which was never identified, transformed men into a mutants and reduced civilization to nothing. The last representatives of humanity live in colonies, struggling day after day to survive. Out of nowhere, a young girl comes to meet them. She appears to be 14 years old. She has 100 more. She came to save the world."

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Dennis Lehane of Gone Baby Gone, Shutter Island, and Mystic River fame has a new one out: Small Mercies.

The backdrop to the story is the eve of bussing in the Boston Public Schools

I feel like I’ve read most of his work. This one took me just a few days to read - I am not a very quick reader.

10 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Dennis Lehane of Gone Baby Gone, Shutter Island, and Mystic River fame has a new one out: Small Mercies.

The backdrop to the story is the eve of bussing in the Boston Public Schools

I feel like I’ve read most of his work. This one took me just a few days to read - I am not a very quick reader.

Thanks! Love Lehane’s work, I’ll have to check that out after getting through the four tomes on my table: the last two of the Silo trilogy; a book on the growth of white nationalism post Vietnam; and the latest Hiaasen romp. (Keep hoping for a new Skink sighting.)

I’m finishing up the Dresden Files with BattleGround (book 16) by Jim Butcher. Also finishing The Legends of the First Empire with book 4 Age of Legends by Michael J Sullivan.  

If you like fun fantasy adventure, I can’t recommend The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan enough. It’s got heart, heists, twists, and a hidden big bad to be defeated. Everything you need for a good fantasy read.

I think I’ll try to find another Noir after this, I just wish it was easier to find good ones in that genre. I’ll tackle a big Russian door stop after that. Not sure which yet, but I’m leaning towards The Brothers Karamazov. That should just about take me through the end of the  year.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Destino said:

I’m finishing up the Dresden Files with BattleGround (book 16) by Jim Butcher. Also finishing The Legends of the First Empire with book 4 Age of Legends by Michael J Sullivan.  

If you like fun fantasy adventure, I can’t recommend The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan enough. It’s got heart, heists, twists, and a hidden big bad to be defeated. Everything you need for a good fantasy read.

I think I’ll try to find another Noir after this, I just wish it was easier to find good ones in that genre. I’ll tackle a big Russian door stop after that. Not sure which yet, but I’m leaning towards The Brothers Karamazov. That should just about take me through the end of the  year.

Those Dresden Files are very fun reads.  I'm on book 10, "Small Favor"    

• Like 1

Sadly I haven't been reading much as I think some form of ADD has taken over. 😁

Did just finish a neat little (100 pages) adultish reimagining of a fairy tale by T. Kingfisher called "Thorn Hedge".

61884932.jpg

Going to try to read Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree next.  

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 11/4/2023 at 9:44 PM, Destino said:

I don't know if you're referring to the genre, or Christopher Moore's novel   

If you're referring to the genre, I can highly suggest "Noir" by Christopher Moore.   All of his books are cleverly written.

The man is a genius.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I don't know if you're referring to the genre, or Christopher Moore's novel   

If you're referring to the genre, I can highly suggest "Noir" by Christopher Moore.   All of his books are cleverly written.

The man is a genius.

I meant the genre but thanks for the recommendation. I have added it to the list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I meant the genre but thanks for the recommendation. I have added it to the list. 

Right back at ya!

I just downloaded the first "The Legends of the First Empire" book.  I'm going to start the series after I finish re-visiting "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore.

I wanted to read the next Dresden series, but I had to put a hold on it and I'm #5 on the list, for one of two copies. 🤨

The sad thing is that the paperback is available at the library.

I bought a Kindle when the library closed during the pandemic,(which I swore that I'd never do), and I like it so much, that I have yet to go back.

The "sad thing?" We live 2 blocks from the library 😅

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Right back at ya!

I just downloaded the first "The Legends of the First Empire" book.  I'm going to start the series after I finish re-visiting "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore.

I wanted to read the next Dresden series, but I had to put a hold on it and I'm #5 on the list, for one of two copies. 🤨

The sad thing is that the paperback is available at the library.

I bought a Kindle when the library closed during the pandemic,(which I swore that I'd never do), and I like it so much, that I have yet to go back.

The "sad thing?" We live 2 blocks from the library 😅

Legends is the prequel series for The Riyria Revelations, which is the better series. 

I never check out the physical copies either. And I have no excuse because I have a child, and so I’m at the local library often getting a stack of books for her. I just hit the hold button on a dozen books with waiting lists, and then a few more audio books. Sometimes the timing works out badly, and I get too many books at once, but it usually works out ok. 

• Like 1

So I try to mix in a book where I will learn something every third or fourth book that I read.  The last one I took up in that quest was How to Know a Person by David Brooks.  It made me realize I am not a good listener, something to which my wife can attest.  Still, it gave good advice and some truly great stories.  I can't imagine having a first reporting job being told to go interview a mother about why their child committed suicide.  Talk about having to learn how to have a tough conversation in a hurry...  It is definitely a book that has given me good advice I will try to learn from whether I am interacting with my kids, other family or coworkers.

The book I have enjoyed most recently was To Shape a Dragon's Breath.  This book has great commentary on race relations with a version of White Man's Burden even if not called that.  The book delves into something I have witnessed in my job covering the economies of the U.S. territories where we often assume the people there will be happiest with our version of "better off" even if it means a big change to their culture.  It is a great entertaining fantasy book with lots of relevant social commentary.  The author has obviously studied true history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Libby usually lets you postpone delivery of waitlisted books when they arrive earlier than planned. 

Yup.  Love that app!

10 hours ago, Destino said:

Legends is the prequel series for The Riyria Revelations, which is the better series. 

I never check out the physical copies either. And I have no excuse because I have a child, and so I’m at the local library often getting a stack of books for her. I just hit the hold button on a dozen books with waiting lists, and then a few more audio books. Sometimes the timing works out badly, and I get too many books at once, but it usually works out ok. 

I gathered that by reviews but, the Riyria Revelations isn't available at our library.    

By the time I get through Legends, I'll probably switch up to a different genre anyway and end up trying again when the mood strikes.

Thanks, again!

On 11/6/2023 at 11:13 PM, Destino said:

I'm on chapter 10 in "Age of Myth" and i can't turn the pages fast enough.   I've really been looking for another good, epic fantasy tale, and this really fits the bill.

If the Riyria Revelations is the better series, then I really have something to look forward to.

Thanks, again for the recommentation!

• Like 1

Red Gold by Alan Furst.
WWII espionage, resistance and the like. Pretty standard, although the author does a good job of telling you enough to follow the plot, but not enough to know everything, and so scenes as simple as waiting for a contact become very tense and nerve wracking.

Not bad

image.png.a5deb88fc856ba158c35b1f137c0a501.png

~bang

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, FrFan said:

"A century ago, the world descended into chaos. An epidemic, the origin of which was never identified, transformed men into a mutants and reduced civilization to nothing. The last representatives of humanity live in colonies, struggling day after day to survive. Out of nowhere, a young girl comes to meet them. She appears to be 14 years old. She has 100 more. She came to save the world."

The first 2 of these are EXCELLENT. The third one goes off the rails and I never finished it.

There is an awesome character called "Last Stand in Denver."  Buckle up when you get to that part. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The first 2 of these are EXCELLENT. The third one goes off the rails and I never finished it.

There is an awesome character called "Last Stand in Denver."  Buckle up when you get to that part. 

Thanks, I'm almost halfway into "The Twelve", Last Stand is quite a character. The only negative of the books is that they are too many characters to my liking. To avoid any confusion I wrote down their name on a piece of paper.

• Like 1

Ogres by Adrian Tchaikovsky. This is a brilliant science fiction novella. It offers a haunting possible future that will live rent free in my head for a long while. If you’re looking for a quick read, I recommend this one.

I also read The Jaunt by Stephen King. It’s a story about 16 pages long and you can read it by just googling it plus “pdf”. I’ve always found his short stories more disturbing than his books. This one has me thinking about the horrifying fate that befell that one guys wife. If you read it you’ll know what I mean. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, FrFan said:

9780345504975-1.jpg

Was looking for a new read and just checked it out.

Thanks!

On 11/6/2023 at 11:13 PM, Destino said:

I just finished the Legends series and thoroughly enjoyed it....thanks, again, for the recommendation!

The Riyria Revelations is not available through our library.    I may have to break down in the future and buy 'em on Amazon...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Was looking for a new read and just checked it out.

I watched the first season of the tv serie, then it was cancelled by Fox. No wonder why with such average actors, and cancel litterature at its finest.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1