Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

People complain about the slow march of progress by the DOJ in prosecuting Trump and those planning his coup attempt (and they are right), but to be fair the breadth and scope and sheer numbers of cases and crimes is unprecedented and I think this has overwhelmed the DOJ, hence the slow rate of  (or to this point nonexistent) prosecutions of the higher ups.

More than 950 people have been charged in Jan. 6 Capitol riot, but investigation 'far from over'

In the two years since a violent mob forced its way into the U.S. Capitol, more than 950 people have been charged for their roles in the riot, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continues to seek hundreds more.

"Our work is far from over," Attorney General Merrick Garland stated Wednesday, regarding the investigation into the deadly attack on Jan. 6, 2021.

Roughly 350 suspects remain on the FBI's wanted list of violent offenders at the Capitol that day, Garland's office stated. More than two-thirds are wanted for violence against the estimated 140 law enforcement officers assaulted that day.

Garland's office reports more than 950 have been charged. Roughly 230 of those were arrested in 2022, records show. But arrests continue, with at least 17 in December.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Like 2

Two years after the Jan. 6 riot, key GOP lawmakers go unpunished

Two years after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, the criminal investigation into the riot — by some measures, the largest in U.S. history — isn’t slowing down.

“In chasing leads and making arrests, federal agents have already seized hundreds of cellphones, questioned thousands of witnesses and followed up on tens of thousands of tips in an exhaustive process that has resulted so far in more than 900 arrests from Maine to California,” The New York Times reported today. “But the inquiry, as vast as it has been, is still far from complete: Scores, if not hundreds, more people could face charges in the year — or years — to come.”

Among those facing possible prosecution is Donald Trump: The former president’s role in the crisis is being scrutinized by a special counsel whose team is assessing the Republican’s possible legal culpability.

But there’s one group that has faced few, if any, meaningful consequences: congressional Republicans. As a recent Washington Post analysis noted:

In the hours after a violent mob stormed the U.S. Capitol, hoping to block Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential win and retain Donald Trump as president, more than 130 Republican members of the House voted to do precisely that. The rioters tried to use intimidation and physical obstruction to achieve that goal. The Republican legislators used votes.

Those hoping to see accountability for these GOP lawmakers were left wanting. It’s difficult to think of a single Republican member of Congress who faced any kind of adverse political consequences as a result of their anti-election efforts.

In fact, far from facing any punishment, many of the anti-election Republicans are now actively involved in an ugly fight over whether to make House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy — who was among those trying to help hand power to Donald Trump that he hadn’t earned — the next speaker. Mother Jones’ David Corn explained in his latest piece:

Of the 222 Republicans currently in the House GOP caucus, 119 had on January 6, 2021, after the Trump-incited riot, affirmed the false charge of a stolen election by voting to block certification of Joe Biden’s victory. This group included most of the anti-McCarthy bloc, among them Reps. Andy Biggs, Paul Gosar, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, and Ralph Norman, who in January 2021 texted then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows that Trump should consider “Marshall Law” to remain in office. And this group included McCarthy.

In the wake of Jan. 6, 2021, it was temping to think many of these members would be held accountable. Instead, here we are, watching them claim positions of power and influence.

Click on the link for more

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

Can you imagine how much evidence is NOT admissible in court but is front and center in the court of twitter opinion? lol...I mean, what if that recording of Trump asking the dude in Georgia to "find" 11,000 more votes for him ends up not being introduced as evidence because Trump wasn't informed he was being recorded or something?

All of us: "HE'S ADMITTING IT!!!"

DoJ: "Doesn't matter...can't use it."

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Can you imagine how much evidence is NOT admissible in court but is front and center in the court of twitter opinion? lol...I mean, what if that recording of Trump asking the dude in Georgia to "find" 11,000 more votes for him ends up not being introduced as evidence because Trump wasn't informed he was being recorded or something?

All of us: "HE'S ADMITTING IT!!!"

DoJ: "Doesn't matter...can't use it."

That came up in a lawsuit a keyboard player friend of mine had against the band Kansas.  He had Phil Ehart on tape but couldn't use it.  He ended up with a decent settlement, tho...enough to make his debut album, which was awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I decided to do some research into Georgia law for digital wiretapping as it pertains to Trump's call with Raffensburger about the 11k + votes he wanted counted for him. 

According to Georgia law, one person has to agree with the call being recorded. Since Raffensburger recorded the call on his office recording system, the call is legal and can be used as a cause of action in a criminal court. 

Same is true according to DC law, one party consent law.

Trump's ****ed, either in state court and/or federal court.

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/georgia-recording-law

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

20 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Trump's ****ed, either in state court and/or federal court.

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/georgia-recording-law

On 1/8/2023 at 11:47 AM, Bang said:

Gosh, nothing happened to them? Golly, you'd think the Democrats had some slam dunks there.

Well, what a shock, i must say. I am all in disbelief and what not.

~Bang

Something tells me that the idiot won't make it through two years of probation.  Don't sweat it, he'll be back in jail before ya know it. 

(And something else tells me that he won't be getting a legit job anytime soon, so that fine will probably be slow to get paid...and if anyone hasn't been there, you've gotta do both at the same time...report with your monthly amount of the fine.) 

• Like 1

We truly live in one of the most backward ****ing times I can think of.
He isn't a bad person, you're just going to make him look like a bad person by showing the bad things he says and does.
And that's YOUR fault.

These ****ing pansy ass pieces of ****. 
Proud "boys". Proud of what exactly?
The total lack of BALLS? The complete inability to accept even responsibility for the **** you SAID and WANTED PEOPLE TO KNOW YOU SAID!!!

I am thinking of many derogatory terms that are no longer appropriate to use but would be highly appropriate to describe this..  well, i almost did it again.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

If I were the prosecutor, I’d say yea, I am going to make you hate this guy, he’s really hateable. I’m ALSO going to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So, you’ll feel really great about convicting a real piece of ****, and then we’ll all go home. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If I were the prosecutor, I’d say yea, I am going to make you hate this guy, he’s really hateable. I’m ALSO going to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So, you’ll feel really great about convicting a real piece of ****, and then we’ll all go home. 

...and have some whiskey

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Giuliani Hit With Grand Jury Subpoena for Trump-Related Records

RUDY GIULIANI, FORMER President Donald Trump’s conspiracy theory minion and ex-lawyer, received a grand jury subpoena asking him to hand over records related to Trump’s fundraising after the 2020 election, a person familiar with the subpoena told CNN.

The subpoena, which was issued in November, is part of an investigation into disbursements from the Save America PAC, Trump’s primary fundraising vehicle established after the 2020 election. The records requested in the inquiry include documents from Giuliani about payments he received when he filed numerous lawsuits on Trump’s behalf contesting the 2020 election results, the person said to CNN.

The specific details of the subpoena by the US attorney in Washington DC, which predates the appointment of special counsel Jack Smith who oversees investigations into Trump, remains largely under wraps. Federal prosecutors have also subpoenaed other witnesses close to Trump.

Save America was part of larger fundraising efforts by Trump and the Republican Party that raised more than $250 million on the promise that it would fight voter fraud following the 2020 election. Instead, PAC made contributions to Mark Meadows’ charity, to the Trump Hotel Collection, and to the company that organized the rally that preceded the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol .

“The evidence developed by the select committee highlights how the Trump campaign aggressively pushed false election claims to fundraise, telling supporters it would be used to fight voter fraud that did not exist,” said Amanda Wick, a lawyer for the Jan. 6 committee investigating the Capitol attack. “The emails continued through Jan. 6, even as Trump spoke on the Ellipse. Thirty minutes after the last fundraising email was sent, the Capitol was breached.”

• Thumb up 3

On 1/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, EmirOfShmo said:
I would love to be in the room when General Willey walks in to see Gosar calling the General a traitor. 

Dems: "The problem is the guy who did everything in his power to stay in office after losing, including trying to send fake electors to Washington, pressuring people to "find" enough votes to overturn elections, spreading false conspiracy theories about election fraud, pressuring his VP to refuse to certify the election, considering invoking martial law, and inciting a violent insurrection"

Republicans: "The problem is the guy who wanted to stop him from doing some of that stuff"

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

More evidence that many of these people Trump duped aren't very smart or are mentally unstable:

‘Unique Stew in His Mind’: Judge Acquits Jan. 6 Defendant On One Count After Arguing He Had No Idea Congress Was in Session

A defendant facing various charges for his role in the storming of the U.S. Capital on Jan. 6, 2021, was acquitted on one of the lesser charges against him Friday after he successfully argued he had no knowledge Congress was in session.

Joshua Black was convicted Friday on charges of entering restricted Capitol grounds with a deadly weapon and disorderly/disruptive conduct in the Capitol with a dangerous weapon. U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson found Black, who was armed with a knife that day, not guilty of the crime of obstructing an official proceeding.

According to Politico’s Kyle Cheney, Black avoided a conviction after he convinced the court he stormed the Capitol with no knowledge Congress was in the process of certifying the 2020 election results. Judge Jackson found the “unique stew in his mind” made it impossible to tell what Black understood about the proceedings on Jan. 6 and Cheney noted that the government made no argument otherwise.

• Sad 1

Please do so Kevin:

‘Is He On Crack?’: Internet Reacts After McCarthy Vows To Release All Jan 6 Tapes

During an appearance on Fox News on Sunday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) accused Democrats of “railroading” Republicans with the Jan. 6 Committee and told host Maria Bartiromo that he plans to release all the information collected about the attacks that day “exactly” in the style of Elon Musk’s “Twitter files.”

“The best way to handle this is exactly the way Elon Musk [handled it],” McCarthy said. “Just put all the information out there and let people see what is truth and what is not.”

“So, the best way to do that is to release the tapes,” he added. “People can know for themselves instead of picking and choosing what views they want people to see.”

McCarthy said that he had not personally viewed the footage from Jan. 6 but has accused Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of “politicizing” the MAGA fueled insurrection.

“I watched what Nancy Pelosi did, where she politicized it,” McCarthy told reporters on Friday.

“We watched the politicization of this, I think the American people should see what happened instead of a report that was written on a political basis,” McCarthy said. “I want to be very thoughtful about it, but yes, I’m engaged to do that.”

Naturally, people wasted no time reminding McCarthy that we all saw the attack on national TV, and dared him to release anything we have not seen before.

Watch McCarthy’s remarks and some of the responses below:

• Thumb up 2