Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

17 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

16 hours ago, China said:

blog_lead_crime_main_chart.gif

I suspect air fuel is inconsequential when it comes to lead poisoning in kids. I previously worked in the Childhood Lead Poisoning and Prevention Branch at CDPH and I can tell you that are more prevalent sources of lead than from air fuel or even leaded gas that leached into the ground (because kids eat/play in dirt and don't wash their hands) many years ago.

Older houses who had lead paint that wasn't properly abated, imported pottery/cookware/plateware and cosmetics, and even foods (crickets from Mexico being a big issue here) were almost always the primary source of elevated lead blood level counts when our investigators and nurses did home visits. 

That said, I'm all for removing additional sources and surprised it hadn't happened earlier. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect air fuel is inconsequential when it comes to lead poisoning in kids. I previously worked in the Childhood Lead Poisoning and Prevention Branch at CDPH and I can tell you that are more prevalent sources of lead than from air fuel or even leaded gas that leached into the ground (because kids eat/play in dirt and don't wash their hands) many years ago.

Older houses who had lead paint that wasn't properly abated, imported pottery/cookware/plateware and cosmetics, and even foods (crickets from Mexico being a big issue here) were almost always the primary source of elevated lead blood level counts when our investigators and nurses did home visits. 

That said, I'm all for removing additional sources and surprised it hadn't happened earlier. 

Also thinking that if you're trying to demonstrate a link between lead, and violent crime, you'd be looking for a correlation between lead in preschoolers, and violent crime 10-15 years later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Also thinking that if you're trying to demonstrate a link between lead, and violent crime, you'd be looking for a correlation between lead in preschoolers, and violent crime 10-15 years later. 

High lead blood levels in children is a known inhibitor of mental and physical  development. So the correlation would have to be with that, I would suppose. 

4 hours ago, Larry said:

That is what China's graph is showing. 23 years instead of 10-15 years, but that's the connection it's attempting to make. 

Biden's limit on drug industry middlemen backfires, pharmacists say https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bidens-limit-on-drug-industry-middlemen-backfires-pharmacists-say/

The Biden administration's first major step toward imposing limits on the pharmacy benefit managers who act as the drug industry's price negotiators is backfiring, pharmacists say. Instead, it's adding to the woes of the independent drugstores it was partly designed to help. 

The so-called PBMs have long clawed back a fee from pharmacies weeks or months after they dispense a drug. A new rule, which governs Medicare's drug program, is set to take effect Jan. 1 and requires PBMs to take most of their "performance fees" at the time prescriptions are filled. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:43 AM, ixcuincle said:

Biden's limit on drug industry middlemen backfires, pharmacists say https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bidens-limit-on-drug-industry-middlemen-backfires-pharmacists-say/

The Biden administration's first major step toward imposing limits on the pharmacy benefit managers who act as the drug industry's price negotiators is backfiring, pharmacists say. Instead, it's adding to the woes of the independent drugstores it was partly designed to help. 

The so-called PBMs have long clawed back a fee from pharmacies weeks or months after they dispense a drug. A new rule, which governs Medicare's drug program, is set to take effect Jan. 1 and requires PBMs to take most of their "performance fees" at the time prescriptions are filled. 

The problem here is not the new law. It is the greed of the PBMs who have increased bogus performance fees from $9M in 2010 to $12.6B in 2021 based on the article you provided. These fees are supported by insurers as they say it lets' them charge lower premiums. I read that as we can hide making more money by less trasnparency of where you pay it, direct premiums or hidden costs passed on by pharmasists due to fees charged by these greedy PBMs. Middlemen are rarely benificial for the end user. This is certianly true here. 

Efforts to limit the fees and the other issues with PBMs - spread pricing - where they reimburse the pharmacy less than they get paid by the pharmasutical company and pocketing the difference have been gonig on for years. Here is very good article providing better context than the click bait title from what you posted. It was wirtten in Sept 2022. 

https://www.whitecase.com/insight-alert/2022-drug-pricing-update-states-continue-legislative-push-even-congress-passes-long

"Also, states increasingly have sought to impact drug prices by regulating PBMs and their practices. Notably, New York recently passed legislation requiring PBMs to register with and obtain licensing from the State Department of Financial Services, potentially setting the stage for further regulation.5 Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the PBM receiving cease and desist orders as well as incurring financial penalties.6 The new legislation likewise imposes additional duties and obligations on PBMs, such as providing a process to appeal, investigate, and ultimately resolve disputes raised by pharmacies regarding multi-source generic drug reimbursements.7 Other laws, such as Virginia's S.B 426, require managed care organizations to include in their contracts with PBMs provisions prohibiting so-called spread pricing, whereby the PBM pays the pharmacy less for the prescription drug than it charges health plans with the PBM retaining the difference.8"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Cool but when are we getting pandas back? I miss those clumsy lil ****s. 🤪

My 5 year old daughter has been asking us to take her to the zoo. I don’t pay attention to these things and was extremely sad to find out they were leaving :(

I want pandas back so she can see them :( feel like a **** parent now

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

My 5 year old daughter has been asking us to take her to the zoo. I don’t pay attention to these things and was extremely sad to find out they were leaving :(

I want pandas back so she can see them :( feel like a **** parent now

Buy some black and white hair coloring gel, tranquilizers, a dart gun and take a trip to yellowstone.  Problem solved.

Maybe also pack a band aid or two.  You know...for splinters.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1