Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All things Tipping Thread

TradeTheBeal!

When I worked bar 200$ a night on fridays and weekends was the bar. Hit it or go over - good night. Under - blah. This was 2005-2007 time period.

wife would make 250-300

to this day she’s convinced it was because she was a better server. 

which is complete horse ****. 

she was hot and I was a dude and that’s all there was to it. 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

she was hot and I was a dude and that’s all there was to it. 

DUH!

I don't wanna tip some Jabroni. 

Send the hot waitress back over.

My brother and his wife informed me recently as to what all y'all degenerates are doing at the Hooters. Apparently the most popular order is chicken wings. No surprise right? Butt the reason why? Apparently the ladies put on gloves and hand feed the custys. 🤢

This thread made me curious about the history of tipping.  Apparently goes back to a concept called: Noblesse oblige ("nobility obliges").  Early ideas of the concept apparently were in Homers Iliad (quick wikipedia search):

'Tis ours, the dignity they give to grace
The first in valour, as the first in place;
That when with wondering eyes our confidential bands
Behold our deeds transcending our commands,
Such, they may cry, deserve the sovereign state,
Whom those that envy dare not imitate!

Really quite a snotty concept.  Not saying just because it origins are so, well, ****ty that the concept can't have a more honorable present day interpretation.

Also read a couple of articles which put forward a thesis about how tipping amplifies inequities: white men, for example, receiving better service than other groups due to their perceived ability to tip better (on average).  I've always thought of it in terms of inequities in who gets tipped because, of course, I used my own point of view: attractive women and unattractive men getting better tips (no problems admitting I'm shallow; attracitve women getting better tips for obvious reasons, unattractive men because I appreciated, and frequently needed, not having more competition).

Anyways...fascinating stuff.  Now...lets talk some more about Hooters.

Also - my first, in real life, in my face experience, with why believing in stereotypes is dumb was as a waiter

had a table of 18 of the most backwoods rednecks you’ve ever seen. I was allowed to take massive parties by myself even though we had some policy if 1 server to ever 6-8 even in gigantic parties. I was really good at large parties and it allowed the rest of the restaurant to function better. 

It was just a perfect example. I couldn’t get them enough sweet tea and “brown bread”. I actually just started bringing pitchers and loafs of bread every time I walked by

I treated them great. I believed in the stereotype but I also knew they deserved the same service as everyone else. 

left me a 50% tip on like a 400$ bill. 

i then spent the rest of my waiter career getting shafted by ever group of rednecks that sat down.

🤷‍♂️ 

I have a similar story...a large table of black folks who had just opened a salon around the corner.  It was Cinco de Mayo.  Biggest tip of my day.  like $80 on a $200 check. 

Redneck at the table next to em asked me, "Did they tip you? Most of em don't"...I said, "They were better to me than you could ever be" and I absolutely strutted away. 

8 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I have a similar story...a large table of black folks who had just opened a salon around the corner.  It was Cinco de Mayo.  Biggest tip of my day.  like $80 on a $200 check. 

Redneck at the table next to em asked me, "Did they tip you? Most of em don't"...I said, "They were better to me than you could ever be" and I absolutely strutted away. 

not to stray into saying something wrong, but honestly where I worked.... if you were going to pick a group of ****ty tippers to stereotype it was the rednecks

And the high schoolers. Those were the worst cause it’s like man mom and dad gave you 30$ to take her out and you’re going to spend as little on my tip as possible. 

which reminds me. We had this dumb **** corporate rule where parties over 8 had 15% gratuity automatically added. The  problem is if you hand a person a check that says “this is acceptable gratuity” well... that’s what they’re going to pay. Some because the math is already done and they’re lazy. Others are actually insulted by automatically adding gratuity and even though they were going to tip 20%, they’re now tipping 15% because they’re mad at the insinuation they weren’t going to tip before. 

to get it though you had to ask a manager to add it to the bill. 

well I never did. And on big parties I always got 20-25%. On a 200-400$ bill that’s a huge difference. 

the managers found out and were furious. Their concern was that I would only add it to people i stereotyped and not others (mainly black people was the concern). My argument was - I don’t add it to anyone so that’s not a problem 

well, it was a huge problem. Almost got fired. Cause they started monitoring me (I took majority of the large parties, they would move me out of the bar just for them mid shift) so they started adding behind my back. 

and I was furious. Because then I started getting 15% tips all the time. It wasn’t hard to figure out the ****s in the computer system. Sometimes I’d get the 15% with like an extra 5$ Bill. 

I flipped out. It happened right as I was leaving. We settled it by saying I’m not taking large parties anymore. 

I was furious. That’s real money. Especially when you tip out 3% automatically. Your tip falls to 12% right off the bat. Compared to the 17-22% (adjusted to pull out the 3) I was usually getting. On a 300$ check. When you’re 20. It was a big deal to me. 

I tabulated for a table ONCE.  She said, "I would have left you more if you hadn't done that." 

Me: Nothing stopped you. 

Table stfu. 

But I have absolutely NEVER done it again.  If I do my best for every single guest,...like I said...I get mine.  I have a strange passion for it, I know it may be weird...but if I need these people on my side, they'll always be there.  It's more of a community thing, we all help each other.

Edit, add:  some tips are waaaaaayyyy bigger than money.

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I tabulated for a table ONCE.  She said, "I would have left you more if you hadn't done that." 

Me: Nothing stopped you

Yeah... if you give people and easy out they’ll take it

“Oh that’s ok? Fine I’m not going out of my way to figure out what 20% is so I have to pay more”

and some people just got pissed about it and did it out of spite. little do they know that’s not the server’s call. It’s corporate policy to prevent being sued for discrimination. 

Tipping tip from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy:

you basically know what you expect your bill to be.  Give the waiter ballpark what you expect to tip, IN ADVANCE.  

when, and chances are very good that based on your preliminary tip, you receive great service, then accordingly elevate your tip at the end of the meal.

and, chicks dig it/Stosh approved and verified ;)

My first job, at 14, was as a caddy at what is now Trump National. Some of the members had bags that weighed more than I did, and they had to use a caddy, not a cart, unless they physically could not walk. This was during the dotcom boom, so most of the members were just filthy rich. I’d get $100 bill per round, minimum. Like, amounts of money that could be denominated in paper didnt even register forthese people. It was awesome. One guy gave me $50 mid round because I found his ball in a particularly rough area and he thought it was funny. 

The worst tipper by far was Jeremiah Trotter, former Skins linebacker. I still ****ing hate that guy. 😆

On 12/31/2020 at 6:21 AM, goskins10 said:

And no the kitchen being slow is not the servers fault.

But how long your food takes is 95% of the time your server’s fault though, here’s why:

Ask yourself these questions as a server:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrées before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entrée is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

8. Servers DO wait to put in entrée orders when appetizers, side salads, or cups of soup are ordered. THAT *IS* THE GOD’S TRUTH! Sometimes it’s TOO LONG THEY WAIT! If it’s another server, it still doesn’t make it the kitchen staff’s fault I have the wrong side dish for example since that is something that’s obvious. It’s either my server that didn’t put in my order correctly or this other server that didn’t compare the ticket to the food or that this other server did compare the ticket to the food, but just missed it(HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but possible).

9. WHEN do you come to GET MY ORDER? That part is covered in #2 below.

10. WHEN do you DECIDE to LET ME ORDER? That part is covered in #4 below.

11. WHEN do you decide to DELIVER MY FOOD? That part is covered in #1 below.

12. Do you, because they are out of something, decide to assume everyone wants the closest thing so you do the ordering for me? That part is covered in #3 below.

13. WHEN do you decide to check up on WHERE the food is? If the kitchen staff somehow lost the ticket, did you wait 30 minutes and then decide to find out that or did you check after 10-15 minutes to see that our food was getting started on?

1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!

2. Once, we had a waitress that greeted us which we ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks when greeted. I saw she tucking in chairs at empty tables and pretty much doing everything but coming back to get our entrée order. Well, I found out what happened. She brought out our appetizer and when I asked she said that she wanted to wait to put in our entrée orders. The thing is, that delayed us more by not at least coming to GET our orders. That way, when the appetizer was ready, we wouldn’t have gotten delayed eating our appetizer since we then had to give our entrée orders when we could have given our entrée orders WELL BEFORE THAT and we would have gotten our entrées faster due to that she could have just left to put our entrée orders into the computer after delivering our appetizer instead of taking time to order when our appetizer was sitting in front of us. The point is, SHE delayed our entrées as well as to be able to start eating our appetizer because she could have at least TAKEN our entrée orders and then when our appetizer would have been brought out, could have immediately gone to the computer to put our entrée orders in.  What she did was make us wait while our hot appetizer was sitting in front of us, we couldn’t touch it, because we had to order our entrées and could have done that wayyy before that. She also delayed our entrées because we had to spend extra time AFTER our appetizer arrived to give her our entrée orders when we could have done that wayyyy before that.

3. Once, we had a waitress that assumed that because they were out of raspberry topping for a cheesecake slice when we had ordered dessert that she’d bring us strawberry. Turns out, she knew when she put in the order that the computer had it the manager told us. So she did it on PURPOSE to be so lazy and uncaring as to not come to ask if we wanted the next closest thing. We didn’t, we sent it back, so she had MORE WORK. Also, she didn’t even think about what if someone is allergic to strawberries. I just honestly can’t believe someone would do that. If they are out of something, common sense would be to come to see if the next closest thing is ok. Not everyone wants the next closest thing. So it wasn’t like it was just getting the order wrong by accident or by not verifying the written order with what she was bringing or putting in the order wrong by accident, this was on PURPOSE to be LAZY and to ASSUME. I didn’t know at first that she did that. I thought at first she just was that stupid(or truly just messed up(highly doubt it)) to bring us strawberries on top of a cheesecake when we ordered raspberries.

4. Your server delays coming to get your order or delays you ordering due to personal conversation. We have had that before as well. Once, we had a waiter that we didn’t know after waiting 15 mins. for a table on Mardi Gras day ask us BEFORE we ORDERED ANYTHING “How’s y’all’s Mardi Gras” “Go to any parades.” See, I don’t mind chit chat with a stranger, but be considerate to do it AFTER we have our orders into the computer so you don’t take up our time.

We have also had servers not come to get our order due to playing around. Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server: My husband and I have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 8 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar. Once a waitress forgot to put in a bar drink into the computer. Two of the 3 times it was an appetizer and the servers ADMITTED doing so. The third time was a cup of bisque which is normally served before a meal just like a side salad is. My husband and I also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I’ll be right with you all), one waiter I saw decided to take a party of 6 people’s drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders into the computer. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don’t, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!! So truly think about that MOST of the time when you wait a LONG TIME for your food or bar drinks even, it could be the server’s fault. 9 times out of 10, your server had *SOMETHING* to do with the delay in most cases! That’s the GOD’S TRUTH!

My husband and I had a waiter once which he did write our orders down just the 2 of us at a seafood restaurant. When he brought out our food, he also brought out another table's food on the tray along with ours and put it down on a tray jack. Our waiter(not someone else), we saw he didn't get his pad of paper out to see which plates of food went with which customers. He put in front of my husband fried shrimp with fries, but my husband ordered crabmeat au gratin with a baked potato. No one is blind here, so there's no excuse for this and it made a delay in our service. Turns out, he didn't even have my husband's entrée on the tray. Our waiter came back to say I quote "I grabbed the wrong plate from the kitchen." Our waiter ADMITTED HE MESSED UP! The kitchen didn't make the wrong food or forget, our waiter didn't compare his written order to the food to make sure which plates he was going to bring out to us. What he honestly should have done is done one table at a time since doing too much at once causes situations like this trying to do multiple tables at the same time. It wasn't more efficient, because he messed up and you are more likely to mess up trying to do 2 tables at once. He should have gone in order of request that if the other table ordered before us, he should have just brought out their food only and made our table a separate trip. I saw he just AIMLESSLY put plates out to the customers. It's so IGNORANT and LAZY! The speed in which my husband got his food was 100% ******OUR WAITER'S FAULT ENTIRELY****! He grabbed the wrong plate and didn't verify the items if they were correct on the plate. His job is to make sure he *SERVES* it correctly as much as he can see without touching the food. The side dish nor the main dish was even remotely not even close to the other even. Certainly not a caring waiter.

Could you HONESTLY blame the kitchen staff even if our waiter would not have admitted fault, he still was at fault. NO ONE IS BLIND HERE, NOBODY! Everyone can read. So there was NO REASON for this stuff to happen, yet, it happens.

There are no circumstances beyond their control in a good 90% of cases. 10% would be where they can't control, the rest they sure can control it. We know, we have been through it me and my husband many of times over the years with servers. We see what's going on. If your server brings you the wrong item, that's TIME that the SERVER messed up, NOT the kitchen. I don't care if the kitchen staff makes the wrong food, bringing it to me completely wrong is the 100% fault of the SERVER if they are our server. If it's another server that didn't take the order, they still should know which table is for example table #3 at.

My point of this story is to say that OUR WAITER DELAYED my husband's entrée, NOT the kitchen staff. Admitting fault is not why we would have blamed him.  We already KNEW he was 100% at fault since everybody knows what fried shrimp with fries LOOKS LIKE on a plate, even a 4 yr old could tell you that it doesn't match, so could a waiter that is probably near his 20's or 30's.  Our waiter delayed our food from getting to us by not verifying what plate he left the kitchen with ***AND*** not verifying the plates once he sat the tray down on the tray jack to deliver the food. He just aimlessly handing out plates of food, I watched as he didn't verify a darn thing.  He was lazy and certainly did NOT CARE! We should have stiffed him to be honest. NO EFFORT=NO TIP!

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a72649882/under-what-circumstances-should-a-restaurant-manager-offer-to-comp-your-meal?cpg=10

Snooopdogg said:

"I was a server for 15+ years.  Often food that doesn't come out on times is because a serve forgot to enter it on time or didn't enter it correctly."

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tipping.2337603/page-14

flowwiththego said:

"Springs does make some good points. In my experience, at least half the time if not more it is the servers fault when food takes too long. for example, I hate when the servers hold their tix and put in 4 (or even three) at once. They are not allowed to do that. So the first table has to wait extra long and other servers got tix in also. I can’t tell you how many times someone will say they have been here for 45 minutes and the tix time says they were 20 minutes."

flowwiththego said:

"I had a server last year who twice in one day did not realize she had customers waiting and hour and did not get food. One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did? We were slammed but still. Like I wrote it is a tough profession that most people couldn't do."

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tipping.2337603/page-26

flowwiththego said:

"yesterday we had five tables come in literally at once. No other ticket on the board at the time. Two three tops and three two tops. The two waitresses alternate tables when their is only two of them. Now the one waitress is the only one who consistently asks us where her food is and that her table is getting mad. Well, guess what I observed her doing? She put three orders in at once. She got the first table then went to the next table and after that went to the next table. I was nice but explained that what she was doing was against company policy. I explained that her first table had to wait and that the other server got her tix in before her even though her first table was there before everyone else. I also told her that at least 75% of the time it is the servers fault when an order takes too long. I also told her that we know now why she is the only server who has customers getting mad because their food took too long on a consistent basis. I told her if she needed to save time to get faster on the pos system."

http://howtobeagoodserver.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-be-good-server-in-restaurant.html?commentPage=4

Stef319 is responding to MT's comment and this was a waitress at a Red Lobster. I had gone on her blog, she came onto mine agreeing with me. Her blog has since been deleted, so I can't go on hers, but her comment is still on my blog.

Stef319 said:

"MT "Your system of never taking another tables drink order before turning in a ticket would back you up terribly, not to mention the humongous quantity of time you'd waste checking plates and menu prices. It would take you forever to get anything done." "In my opinion, MT, once an order is taken, it should be put into the computer IMMEDIATELY. Once my guests place their order with me, the clock begins to tick. They should be getting their apps 5-10 minutes after they PLACE their order, and their entrees should take between 20-30 minutes (where I work). You really should not start off a new table with an appetizer or dinner order on hold. The guests who just placed their order (who are hungry) are watching you approach another table. You then have to build your rapport, go over the specials, and possibly answer questions. This can potentially be very time consuming and your guests are not going to appreciate the delay in your service. There are other times when it is acceptable to work all your tables together, but when you have a food order you shouldn't be doing this. The correct way to handle this is to approach the table (with the other tables' menus in hand) and acknowledge their presence, and tell them YOU WILL BE RIGHT BACK. Then you ring in the order, go back to the table, and then you can do your greeting, go over specials, answer questions, etc. Now you can take your time with the new table cause you know that your other tables' food is getting worked on by the kitchen. I know that this can be time-consuming but it really is worth it. Waste no time getting food orders in." August 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM"

flowwiththego is saying that the server could have CHECKED UP ON WHERE THE FOOD WAS SOONER* rather than later as she did. This sentence:

"One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did?"

Stef319 is saying what I am saying that the longer you take to put in the food and drink orders, the longer the customers wait that were first if you cut turns.

My point of all of this is that, you act like that servers don't cause long waits, but usually they are the VERY SOLE CAUSE because they neglect to put in the order RIGHT when they can(as long as they don't have any previously ordered items to deliver and if they aren't being called over). They also fix things for multiple tables. While it would be faster if you are fixing things for a to-go order 2 hours from now, it's not faster for people waiting right now for what they asked for.

At Red Lobster a manager told me the SERVERS make the side salads for example. For example, if 2 to-go orders are ordered 1 hour from now to be picked up from 2 different customers, if the to-go server fixes 4 side salads(2 a piece for each customer all at the same time basically) it's not going to affect either customer's time since it's 1 hour from now and neither customer is there to pick up their food. If you have 2 tables that are dine-in customers that have ordered 2 side salads for each table(the same total of 4), the table that got seated first and ordered first WILL get affected by if the server fixes the other 2 side salads also. Understand my point here? It's not more efficient to the 1st table and it's giving the 2nd table faster better service than the 1st table, which is totally unfair. The morally right way to do it is to fix the 2 side salads, then deliver them to the first table. Then, go back to the kitchen to make the other 2 side salads, then deliver them to the 2nd table.

So STOP saying you can't get the food faster unless you REALLY DID do the steps it takes to do so. If you go buss a table first before taking our order when we are ready to order, you are not looking up to see if you can speed the food faster, are you? If you go buss a table AFTER taking our food order, you aren't making our food come faster and you have the ability to do so by putting in that order rather than putting cleaning up ahead of someone's hunger time.

Please stop LYING ONCE AGAIN! I have people that have done this job to back me up and when I worked as counter help in a donut shop/diner with putting orders wrong into the computer before. That's 2 mistakes, it's delaying the food and getting the order wrong all wrapped up into 2 mistakes worth.

Forgetting to put in orders or getting orders by not checking up on the orders, YOU are creating the longer waits, NOT anyone else but YOU! If you cut turns by if no one called you over to go check up on 2 other tables and not going to that computer, you are costing the customer's time that are waiting for their food that you just took the order from. Just think about what I said, because it's all true.

Here's a cook that tells it how it REALLY is, READ AND WEEP:

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/why-should-we-tip-aholes-who-barely-report-their-tips-to-the-irs.206740172/

Pepsi-Man5 said:

"As a former cook in several different restaurants.... waiters and waitresses are a dime a dozen, and most of them are completely stupid, self-centered, lazy, and couldn't care less about how the people at their tables are doing. They complain about people at the tables all of the time. ALL of the time. Even if you are at a restaurant, and your waitress walks away from the table and you stop and think, wow, my waitress is really nice. NO, she is in the back cussing you out to us at that exact moment that you are thinking otherwise. And don't think, no, not my server... YES, your server too. They don't like helping other servers. They despise having to sing happy birthday. They hate covering other server's tables while they take a break. They hate to clean and try to pay other servers to clean their sections for them so that they don't have to. And all they think about is money. Seriously. If you don't tip them high enough, they will complain about you for weeks. They may be nice and friendly to your face at the table, but they hate you. Sometimes when your food comes out wrong, it's the cook's fault. Most of the time, it's the server's fault. They constantly take food to the wrong tables. They constantly forget to ring in your order, so your food comes out late to you, but to the cooks it came out on time. But they will blame the cooks for it tho, hoping you will be forgiving of them and still tip them well. Sometimes, they forget to ring in your food, but some other table ordered some of the same plates, so they will take those plates to your table because they are done. And all that does is cause your table to only get half of the food they ordered. Meanwhile, the people who actually ordered those plates now have to wait longer because another server screwed them over. But the server who took those plates don't care that they screwed over a coworker, as they only care about thier own tips, not others. Servers cause way too much mayhem in restaurants, complain way too much, about everything. And they get hired off of the street with no training what so ever. The cooks have their issues too. But not nearly as many as the waiters/waitresses do. In the many restuarants that i've worked in, and the thousands of waiters or servers that i've worked with, i can honestly say that I've only seen a small, small handful of people who are actually good at it in every way. Like, maybe 10-20 people total, seriously. Out of literally a couple thousand. The rest are god awful.Thank god I don't work in restuarants anymore."

This former cook is telling the truth. Most of the time when you wait a long time for your food or your food has something wrong or missing, it's usually your server why you encounter the issue. Your server has a written order to compare the food to if they are the ones that bring it out and can easily bring out condiments ahead of time. No reason to wait to bring out something that takes 2 or 3 minutes to get to your table(such as side of ranch or mayo). If another server runs the food, if the server put in the order correctly, then the other server is at fault if it's not condiments that are wrong or missing. If it's condiments that are wrong or missing, it's your server's fault 100% of the times because that stuff can easily be brought out ahead of time and NEVER take longer than 5 minutes to get to you since it's condiments that need no cooking. Now if it needs warming like bbq sauce or marinara, still in the microwave should be out well before prepared or cooked food.

It actually generally is the server's fault you wait a long time for your food.

Have you ever actually watched your server after she or he takes your order?

My husband and I have experienced many times servers going to clean up before going to a computer that is in the dining area that is empty(has no one at it).

Once, my husband and I went to Chili's at 10:58a.m.(manager opened the door 2 minutes early). So we got greeted at 11:01-11:02a.m. normal amount of time. We ordered just a soft drink and an iced tea at the greeting. As our waitress put in the drink orders into the computer, another couple got seated. Instead of going to get our drinks or even greeting the next table, she went to wipe down a table across from us. I actually went ahead and asked her from our table "Could you please get our drinks please?" Instead of stopping like a normal human being would, she says "I'm wiping down a table." I went ahead and got a manager over this since yes it is intentionally delaying us from ordering our food, from getting our drinks and is delaying the other couple that would like to get greeted. At the most she had told them was that she'd be right with them, but actually never greeted them(never asked what they wanted to drink, just that she'd be right with them) before she went to put our drink orders into the computer. No one was waiting for a table by the way.

She could have gotten an appetizer out of our order by the time she came back if we weren't ready to order. She could have gotten the other couple's drink order at that time. Instead she cleaned up a table she could have cleaned well before 11a.m. even. Not a caring server.

Basically this is similar to the tucking the chairs story, because if the server doesn't come to get your order when they could have, they are delaying your food on purpose.

Not the first time that's happened.

Another time, went to another restaurant when it wasn't busy, we had ordered our food and instead of our server going to the computer that was right by us that had no one at it, she starts cleaning up the dirty table instead. I asked for another server at that point, because that's just total disrespect. If no one in the kitchen knows about the order, that's how much longer you sit and wait for your food. It's common sense.

You might want to consider watching what's really going on before you say things that simply aren't true. Most of time when you have a long wait for your food, it's due to your server. That is the truth.

Once my husband, my mom, and I went to a restaurant.  We ordered bar drinks and non-bar drinks(soft drinks as well as bar drinks) when greeted. So at this restaurant, the bartender made the drinks, which my mom ordered a pina colada which does take a long time to make.  So she comes back around 7  minutes or so later with the bar drinks and then she tells us she’d be right back and greets the next party(remember we were seated well before those people arrived).  They are party of like 5 or 6 people. So she comes back to bring all the drinks for them and us.  Doing all of those things, delayed our food:

1.       By going to greet the table instead of just telling them “I’ll be right with you all in just a few minutes”, no she greeted them that they could have even ordered food at the time like an appetizer or their meals, but they didn’t.

2.       By fixing 5 or 6 drinks, that waitress took up ALL of that time that we could have placed our order for our food and gotten it into the computer. 

So she gives us our drinks off the tray and then says she’d be right back.  She gives them theirs and we STILL hadn’t gotten to order it was like LITERALLY 10-15 MINUTES LATER I’M NOT KIDDING YOU EITHER.  She gave them their drinks and before she could come back to us they asked about ordering some queso.  We had about had it with this waitress’s cutting in front of our turn NUMEROUS TIMES so we went to the manager she didn’t make us pay for our drinks and we left.

Needless to say we got to wait the longest when it should have been that other table.  They didn’t wait as long as us to even get greeted(we had to wait a while to get seated since no one was at the hostess’s stand when we arrived and to get greeted a few minutes of waiting already).

So don’t you think in even 5 minutes(this was around 15 minutes) that our food wasn’t delayed due to*********OUR WAITRESS**********, huh?????

She DECIDED to fully greet them. She could have said “I’ll be right with you all in just a few minutes.  Especially because we got seated 8 minutes ago from the time she even brought us the bar drinks. She should have gotten us the non-bar drinks FIRST and could have gotten our food orders out faster since we were ready to order then but since we didn’t even have our non-bar drinks, we didn’t say anything at the time she came with the bar drinks, but should have come with the soft drinks first which would have taken under 2 minutes to bring.

The fact that she fixed 5 or 6 drinks AHEAD of us is totally out of line.  They weren’t even there 5 minutes before and they received INSTANT service compared to us.  They never had the long wait we had. 

It does affect how long you wait for your food if you CAN’T EVEN ORDER. Also, I’m willing to bet because she left the table and didn’t come back to us, she even PUT IN the queso order for them AHEAD of us and we STILL HADN’T ORDER ANY FOOD!!

Needless to say, we didn’t tip and we didn’t pay for anything since the manager agreed with us.  We waited so long, my mom FINISHED the pina colada LITEARLLY she FINISHED drinking it and she’s not much of a drinker at all (RARELY) a few times a year has like 1 or 2 drinks, but she thought it was very delicious and she just kept sipping on it.  The thing is, it can give you brain freeze to drink frozen drinks too fast, so think of HOW LONG we were there.

The thing is, we weren’t EVER part of that party and yet that party got INSTANT service compared to us.  I respect servers that I don’t interrupt them while they are at another table, I expect them to go by turns when they serve us by NOT cutting in front of turn like that.

Why should she have gotten their drinks before getting ours to us? That’s NOT FAIR AT ALL NOT FAIR AT ALL and OUR FOOD GOT SEVERLY DELAYED since we NEVER got a chance to order any food, but the other table did since before we could order she said she’d be right back.  They got their queso into the computer before we got to order ANY food.  THAT IS BS TOTALLY! We sat LITERALLY for 15 minutes and never got to order food.  We could have I guess ordered an appetizer when she got us our bar drinks, but then we would have never received our soft drinks but 12 or so minutes later from being seated which is totally ridiculous since she would have had to go put that order in and maybe that other party was sat by then. It’s NOT FAIR, IT’S NOT FAIR!  It’s either that table or your first table that gets the shaft.  The 2nd table should since they were AFTER us in the building.  There was no wait for a table even. The server should have at the most said she’d be right with them in a just a few minutes and didn’t take any drink orders or anything until we our food was in the COMPUTER.  As I said, it was either us or them.  THEY walked in 5 minutes at least after us, so tell me why should they get to be served with us?? Imagine you are in line at the store and how someone that has 25 items cuts ahead of you.  Let’s see how you free then.  I’ve let people in front of me that had one item, but not 25 items. My time is valuable too just as yours is. 

So they walked in they got treated like royalty, we got the shaft. 

I can only remember a handful of times where I actually received bad service.

So you don’t seem to eat out much or I am willing to bet you don’t have bad service because you DON’T KNOW WTH is going out AROUND YOU to know. 

I bet you don’t:

Watch your server during your service.

2.       Compare the menu prices with your check prices to see if you were ever overcharged even.

3.       You don’t care if they forget things because they didn’t try their best such as writing things down to TRY to PROVE and SHOW that caring in their heart about your happiness while you are there.

4.       You don’t care if they don’t apologize.

5.       Just plan have NO CLUE of WHAT is going on.

6.       Don’t modify your order any, which I do.

We have had bad service HUNDREDS of times.  You either don’t eat out or don’t know what is going on around you.

Just the other day, waited 1 and a half minutes to get greeted as we waited to get greeted which is normal, but another party of 3 guys gets seated across from us around 20 seconds before our waitress greets us. We order a water, a diet coke, and a margarita on the rocks with salt. She goes to the next party to get their drink order 10 seconds. Then she actually GETS the 3 iced teas for that table to them instead of OUR non-bar drinks.  So you don't see how the SERVER DELAYS YOUR FOOD, YOUR BAR DRINKS AND NON-BAR DRINKS?? At this restaurant, the servers make the bar drinks, but she didn't have to even greet that table except to tell them she'd be right with them.

SERVERS 95% of the time delay your food and drinks from getting to you. I have people telling you that you are wrong about that you don't receive bad service, because even though bad service is an opinion, it's still not good service to get your order wrong or them forget things or them cut in front of your turn making you wait longest and someone else gets to be treated like royalty.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:20 AM, skinsmarydu said:

I could go on for days. 

I absolutely NEVER get bad service.  I look my server in the eye, profusely say please and thank you...and I ask for everything I need, all at one time...(you know, you've been out there with me to watch games).  We've always gotten awesome service because we know what we're doing, don't run our servers to death (ok, there was that one time with me & the Jager :ols: )...but I remember her name, Miranda.  :)

I ask nicely for things saying "Thank you" before they even get it and after with a "thank you very much" even at times, not just a "thank you" and I ask for everything I need at one time, but 99.9% of them don't write it down and forget things because they are lazy and uncaring to CARE if they forget something.  You don't get bad service? How do you know? Do you watch your server? Do you know if they are cutting in front of your turn or not or deciding to buss tables while you wait 10 minutes for your check when you could have left or not have common sense to know if they bring you the wrong food they are fully at fault for that or don't check the menu prices against the check prices? We have had LOTS of wrong overcharge prices over the years. We had one last week $10.00 was the dessert price I ordered as on the menu, we were charged $10.99.  If I can notice this, so can my server and are supposed to **CARE** about my money if they want a good tip for me to care about theirs.    Their money is not holier than thou or better than ours.  We are all EQUALS in this world! I haven't met ONE server that checks the prices, which shows how SELFISH servers are.  We tip 30% at times and I have even given $20 Christmas bonuses to my favorite servers a couple of years even.  So you can't say I'm cheap, it has NOTHING to do with that, it has to do with EQUALNESS showing you CARE about us the way they want us to CARE about they only make $2.13/hr.

You never get bad service, because you don't notice WTH is going on around you.  Isn't that correct?

35 minutes ago, Springs1 said:

But how long your food takes is 95% of the time your server’s fault though, here’s why:

Ask yourself these questions as a server:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrées before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entrée is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

8. Servers DO wait to put in entrée orders when appetizers, side salads, or cups of soup are ordered. THAT *IS* THE GOD’S TRUTH! Sometimes it’s TOO LONG THEY WAIT! If it’s another server, it still doesn’t make it the kitchen staff’s fault I have the wrong side dish for example since that is something that’s obvious. It’s either my server that didn’t put in my order correctly or this other server that didn’t compare the ticket to the food or that this other server did compare the ticket to the food, but just missed it(HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but possible).

9. WHEN do you come to GET MY ORDER? That part is covered in #2 below.

10. WHEN do you DECIDE to LET ME ORDER? That part is covered in #4 below.

11. WHEN do you decide to DELIVER MY FOOD? That part is covered in #1 below.

12. Do you, because they are out of something, decide to assume everyone wants the closest thing so you do the ordering for me? That part is covered in #3 below.

13. WHEN do you decide to check up on WHERE the food is? If the kitchen staff somehow lost the ticket, did you wait 30 minutes and then decide to find out that or did you check after 10-15 minutes to see that our food was getting started on?

1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!

2. Once, we had a waitress that greeted us which we ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks when greeted. I saw she tucking in chairs at empty tables and pretty much doing everything but coming back to get our entrée order. Well, I found out what happened. She brought out our appetizer and when I asked she said that she wanted to wait to put in our entrée orders. The thing is, that delayed us more by not at least coming to GET our orders. That way, when the appetizer was ready, we wouldn’t have gotten delayed eating our appetizer since we then had to give our entrée orders when we could have given our entrée orders WELL BEFORE THAT and we would have gotten our entrées faster due to that she could have just left to put our entrée orders into the computer after delivering our appetizer instead of taking time to order when our appetizer was sitting in front of us. The point is, SHE delayed our entrées as well as to be able to start eating our appetizer because she could have at least TAKEN our entrée orders and then when our appetizer would have been brought out, could have immediately gone to the computer to put our entrée orders in.  What she did was make us wait while our hot appetizer was sitting in front of us, we couldn’t touch it, because we had to order our entrées and could have done that wayyy before that. She also delayed our entrées because we had to spend extra time AFTER our appetizer arrived to give her our entrée orders when we could have done that wayyyy before that.

3. Once, we had a waitress that assumed that because they were out of raspberry topping for a cheesecake slice when we had ordered dessert that she’d bring us strawberry. Turns out, she knew when she put in the order that the computer had it the manager told us. So she did it on PURPOSE to be so lazy and uncaring as to not come to ask if we wanted the next closest thing. We didn’t, we sent it back, so she had MORE WORK. Also, she didn’t even think about what if someone is allergic to strawberries. I just honestly can’t believe someone would do that. If they are out of something, common sense would be to come to see if the next closest thing is ok. Not everyone wants the next closest thing. So it wasn’t like it was just getting the order wrong by accident or by not verifying the written order with what she was bringing or putting in the order wrong by accident, this was on PURPOSE to be LAZY and to ASSUME. I didn’t know at first that she did that. I thought at first she just was that stupid(or truly just messed up(highly doubt it)) to bring us strawberries on top of a cheesecake when we ordered raspberries.

4. Your server delays coming to get your order or delays you ordering due to personal conversation. We have had that before as well. Once, we had a waiter that we didn’t know after waiting 15 mins. for a table on Mardi Gras day ask us BEFORE we ORDERED ANYTHING “How’s y’all’s Mardi Gras” “Go to any parades.” See, I don’t mind chit chat with a stranger, but be considerate to do it AFTER we have our orders into the computer so you don’t take up our time.

We have also had servers not come to get our order due to playing around. Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server: My husband and I have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 8 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar. Once a waitress forgot to put in a bar drink into the computer. Two of the 3 times it was an appetizer and the servers ADMITTED doing so. The third time was a cup of bisque which is normally served before a meal just like a side salad is. My husband and I also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I’ll be right with you all), one waiter I saw decided to take a party of 6 people’s drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders into the computer. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don’t, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!! So truly think about that MOST of the time when you wait a LONG TIME for your food or bar drinks even, it could be the server’s fault. 9 times out of 10, your server had *SOMETHING* to do with the delay in most cases! That’s the GOD’S TRUTH!

My husband and I had a waiter once which he did write our orders down just the 2 of us at a seafood restaurant. When he brought out our food, he also brought out another table's food on the tray along with ours and put it down on a tray jack. Our waiter(not someone else), we saw he didn't get his pad of paper out to see which plates of food went with which customers. He put in front of my husband fried shrimp with fries, but my husband ordered crabmeat au gratin with a baked potato. No one is blind here, so there's no excuse for this and it made a delay in our service. Turns out, he didn't even have my husband's entrée on the tray. Our waiter came back to say I quote "I grabbed the wrong plate from the kitchen." Our waiter ADMITTED HE MESSED UP! The kitchen didn't make the wrong food or forget, our waiter didn't compare his written order to the food to make sure which plates he was going to bring out to us. What he honestly should have done is done one table at a time since doing too much at once causes situations like this trying to do multiple tables at the same time. It wasn't more efficient, because he messed up and you are more likely to mess up trying to do 2 tables at once. He should have gone in order of request that if the other table ordered before us, he should have just brought out their food only and made our table a separate trip. I saw he just AIMLESSLY put plates out to the customers. It's so IGNORANT and LAZY! The speed in which my husband got his food was 100% ******OUR WAITER'S FAULT ENTIRELY****! He grabbed the wrong plate and didn't verify the items if they were correct on the plate. His job is to make sure he *SERVES* it correctly as much as he can see without touching the food. The side dish nor the main dish was even remotely not even close to the other even. Certainly not a caring waiter.

Could you HONESTLY blame the kitchen staff even if our waiter would not have admitted fault, he still was at fault. NO ONE IS BLIND HERE, NOBODY! Everyone can read. So there was NO REASON for this stuff to happen, yet, it happens.

There are no circumstances beyond their control in a good 90% of cases. 10% would be where they can't control, the rest they sure can control it. We know, we have been through it me and my husband many of times over the years with servers. We see what's going on. If your server brings you the wrong item, that's TIME that the SERVER messed up, NOT the kitchen. I don't care if the kitchen staff makes the wrong food, bringing it to me completely wrong is the 100% fault of the SERVER if they are our server. If it's another server that didn't take the order, they still should know which table is for example table #3 at.

My point of this story is to say that OUR WAITER DELAYED my husband's entrée, NOT the kitchen staff. Admitting fault is not why we would have blamed him.  We already KNEW he was 100% at fault since everybody knows what fried shrimp with fries LOOKS LIKE on a plate, even a 4 yr old could tell you that it doesn't match, so could a waiter that is probably near his 20's or 30's.  Our waiter delayed our food from getting to us by not verifying what plate he left the kitchen with ***AND*** not verifying the plates once he sat the tray down on the tray jack to deliver the food. He just aimlessly handing out plates of food, I watched as he didn't verify a darn thing.  He was lazy and certainly did NOT CARE! We should have stiffed him to be honest. NO EFFORT=NO TIP!

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a72649882/under-what-circumstances-should-a-restaurant-manager-offer-to-comp-your-meal?cpg=10

Snooopdogg said:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tipping.2337603/page-14

flowwiththego said:

flowwiththego said:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tipping.2337603/page-26

flowwiththego said:

http://howtobeagoodserver.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-be-good-server-in-restaurant.html?commentPage=4

Stef319 is responding to MT's comment and this was a waitress at a Red Lobster. I had gone on her blog, she came onto mine agreeing with me. Her blog has since been deleted, so I can't go on hers, but her comment is still on my blog.

Stef319 said:

flowwiththego is saying that the server could have CHECKED UP ON WHERE THE FOOD WAS SOONER* rather than later as she did. This sentence:

Stef319 is saying what I am saying that the longer you take to put in the food and drink orders, the longer the customers wait that were first if you cut turns.

My point of all of this is that, you act like that servers don't cause long waits, but usually they are the VERY SOLE CAUSE because they neglect to put in the order RIGHT when they can(as long as they don't have any previously ordered items to deliver and if they aren't being called over). They also fix things for multiple tables. While it would be faster if you are fixing things for a to-go order 2 hours from now, it's not faster for people waiting right now for what they asked for.

At Red Lobster a manager told me the SERVERS make the side salads for example. For example, if 2 to-go orders are ordered 1 hour from now to be picked up from 2 different customers, if the to-go server fixes 4 side salads(2 a piece for each customer all at the same time basically) it's not going to affect either customer's time since it's 1 hour from now and neither customer is there to pick up their food. If you have 2 tables that are dine-in customers that have ordered 2 side salads for each table(the same total of 4), the table that got seated first and ordered first WILL get affected by if the server fixes the other 2 side salads also. Understand my point here? It's not more efficient to the 1st table and it's giving the 2nd table faster better service than the 1st table, which is totally unfair. The morally right way to do it is to fix the 2 side salads, then deliver them to the first table. Then, go back to the kitchen to make the other 2 side salads, then deliver them to the 2nd table.

So STOP saying you can't get the food faster unless you REALLY DID do the steps it takes to do so. If you go buss a table first before taking our order when we are ready to order, you are not looking up to see if you can speed the food faster, are you? If you go buss a table AFTER taking our food order, you aren't making our food come faster and you have the ability to do so by putting in that order rather than putting cleaning up ahead of someone's hunger time.

Please stop LYING ONCE AGAIN! I have people that have done this job to back me up and when I worked as counter help in a donut shop/diner with putting orders wrong into the computer before. That's 2 mistakes, it's delaying the food and getting the order wrong all wrapped up into 2 mistakes worth.

Forgetting to put in orders or getting orders by not checking up on the orders, YOU are creating the longer waits, NOT anyone else but YOU! If you cut turns by if no one called you over to go check up on 2 other tables and not going to that computer, you are costing the customer's time that are waiting for their food that you just took the order from. Just think about what I said, because it's all true.

Here's a cook that tells it how it REALLY is, READ AND WEEP:

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/why-should-we-tip-aholes-who-barely-report-their-tips-to-the-irs.206740172/

Pepsi-Man5 said:

This former cook is telling the truth. Most of the time when you wait a long time for your food or your food has something wrong or missing, it's usually your server why you encounter the issue. Your server has a written order to compare the food to if they are the ones that bring it out and can easily bring out condiments ahead of time. No reason to wait to bring out something that takes 2 or 3 minutes to get to your table(such as side of ranch or mayo). If another server runs the food, if the server put in the order correctly, then the other server is at fault if it's not condiments that are wrong or missing. If it's condiments that are wrong or missing, it's your server's fault 100% of the times because that stuff can easily be brought out ahead of time and NEVER take longer than 5 minutes to get to you since it's condiments that need no cooking. Now if it needs warming like bbq sauce or marinara, still in the microwave should be out well before prepared or cooked food.

It actually generally is the server's fault you wait a long time for your food.

Have you ever actually watched your server after she or he takes your order?

My husband and I have experienced many times servers going to clean up before going to a computer that is in the dining area that is empty(has no one at it).

Once, my husband and I went to Chili's at 10:58a.m.(manager opened the door 2 minutes early). So we got greeted at 11:01-11:02a.m. normal amount of time. We ordered just a soft drink and an iced tea at the greeting. As our waitress put in the drink orders into the computer, another couple got seated. Instead of going to get our drinks or even greeting the next table, she went to wipe down a table across from us. I actually went ahead and asked her from our table "Could you please get our drinks please?" Instead of stopping like a normal human being would, she says "I'm wiping down a table." I went ahead and got a manager over this since yes it is intentionally delaying us from ordering our food, from getting our drinks and is delaying the other couple that would like to get greeted. At the most she had told them was that she'd be right with them, but actually never greeted them(never asked what they wanted to drink, just that she'd be right with them) before she went to put our drink orders into the computer. No one was waiting for a table by the way.

She could have gotten an appetizer out of our order by the time she came back if we weren't ready to order. She could have gotten the other couple's drink order at that time. Instead she cleaned up a table she could have cleaned well before 11a.m. even. Not a caring server.

Basically this is similar to the tucking the chairs story, because if the server doesn't come to get your order when they could have, they are delaying your food on purpose.

Not the first time that's happened.

Another time, went to another restaurant when it wasn't busy, we had ordered our food and instead of our server going to the computer that was right by us that had no one at it, she starts cleaning up the dirty table instead. I asked for another server at that point, because that's just total disrespect. If no one in the kitchen knows about the order, that's how much longer you sit and wait for your food. It's common sense.

You might want to consider watching what's really going on before you say things that simply aren't true. Most of time when you have a long wait for your food, it's due to your server. That is the truth.

Once my husband, my mom, and I went to a restaurant.  We ordered bar drinks and non-bar drinks(soft drinks as well as bar drinks) when greeted. So at this restaurant, the bartender made the drinks, which my mom ordered a pina colada which does take a long time to make.  So she comes back around 7  minutes or so later with the bar drinks and then she tells us she’d be right back and greets the next party(remember we were seated well before those people arrived).  They are party of like 5 or 6 people. So she comes back to bring all the drinks for them and us.  Doing all of those things, delayed our food:

1.       By going to greet the table instead of just telling them “I’ll be right with you all in just a few minutes”, no she greeted them that they could have even ordered food at the time like an appetizer or their meals, but they didn’t.

2.       By fixing 5 or 6 drinks, that waitress took up ALL of that time that we could have placed our order for our food and gotten it into the computer. 

So she gives us our drinks off the tray and then says she’d be right back.  She gives them theirs and we STILL hadn’t gotten to order it was like LITERALLY 10-15 MINUTES LATER I’M NOT KIDDING YOU EITHER.  She gave them their drinks and before she could come back to us they asked about ordering some queso.  We had about had it with this waitress’s cutting in front of our turn NUMEROUS TIMES so we went to the manager she didn’t make us pay for our drinks and we left.

Needless to say we got to wait the longest when it should have been that other table.  They didn’t wait as long as us to even get greeted(we had to wait a while to get seated since no one was at the hostess’s stand when we arrived and to get greeted a few minutes of waiting already).

So don’t you think in even 5 minutes(this was around 15 minutes) that our food wasn’t delayed due to*********OUR WAITRESS**********, huh?????

She DECIDED to fully greet them. She could have said “I’ll be right with you all in just a few minutes.  Especially because we got seated 8 minutes ago from the time she even brought us the bar drinks. She should have gotten us the non-bar drinks FIRST and could have gotten our food orders out faster since we were ready to order then but since we didn’t even have our non-bar drinks, we didn’t say anything at the time she came with the bar drinks, but should have come with the soft drinks first which would have taken under 2 minutes to bring.

The fact that she fixed 5 or 6 drinks AHEAD of us is totally out of line.  They weren’t even there 5 minutes before and they received INSTANT service compared to us.  They never had the long wait we had. 

It does affect how long you wait for your food if you CAN’T EVEN ORDER. Also, I’m willing to bet because she left the table and didn’t come back to us, she even PUT IN the queso order for them AHEAD of us and we STILL HADN’T ORDER ANY FOOD!!

Needless to say, we didn’t tip and we didn’t pay for anything since the manager agreed with us.  We waited so long, my mom FINISHED the pina colada LITEARLLY she FINISHED drinking it and she’s not much of a drinker at all (RARELY) a few times a year has like 1 or 2 drinks, but she thought it was very delicious and she just kept sipping on it.  The thing is, it can give you brain freeze to drink frozen drinks too fast, so think of HOW LONG we were there.

The thing is, we weren’t EVER part of that party and yet that party got INSTANT service compared to us.  I respect servers that I don’t interrupt them while they are at another table, I expect them to go by turns when they serve us by NOT cutting in front of turn like that.

Why should she have gotten their drinks before getting ours to us? That’s NOT FAIR AT ALL NOT FAIR AT ALL and OUR FOOD GOT SEVERLY DELAYED since we NEVER got a chance to order any food, but the other table did since before we could order she said she’d be right back.  They got their queso into the computer before we got to order ANY food.  THAT IS BS TOTALLY! We sat LITERALLY for 15 minutes and never got to order food.  We could have I guess ordered an appetizer when she got us our bar drinks, but then we would have never received our soft drinks but 12 or so minutes later from being seated which is totally ridiculous since she would have had to go put that order in and maybe that other party was sat by then. It’s NOT FAIR, IT’S NOT FAIR!  It’s either that table or your first table that gets the shaft.  The 2nd table should since they were AFTER us in the building.  There was no wait for a table even. The server should have at the most said she’d be right with them in a just a few minutes and didn’t take any drink orders or anything until we our food was in the COMPUTER.  As I said, it was either us or them.  THEY walked in 5 minutes at least after us, so tell me why should they get to be served with us?? Imagine you are in line at the store and how someone that has 25 items cuts ahead of you.  Let’s see how you free then.  I’ve let people in front of me that had one item, but not 25 items. My time is valuable too just as yours is. 

So they walked in they got treated like royalty, we got the shaft. 

So you don’t seem to eat out much or I am willing to bet you don’t have bad service because you DON’T KNOW WTH is going out AROUND YOU to know. 

I bet you don’t:

Watch your server during your service.

2.       Compare the menu prices with your check prices to see if you were ever overcharged even.

3.       You don’t care if they forget things because they didn’t try their best such as writing things down to TRY to PROVE and SHOW that caring in their heart about your happiness while you are there.

4.       You don’t care if they don’t apologize.

5.       Just plan have NO CLUE of WHAT is going on.

6.       Don’t modify your order any, which I do.

We have had bad service HUNDREDS of times.  You either don’t eat out or don’t know what is going on around you.

Just the other day, waited 1 and a half minutes to get greeted as we waited to get greeted which is normal, but another party of 3 guys gets seated across from us around 20 seconds before our waitress greets us. We order a water, a diet coke, and a margarita on the rocks with salt. She goes to the next party to get their drink order 10 seconds. Then she actually GETS the 3 iced teas for that table to them instead of OUR non-bar drinks.  So you don't see how the SERVER DELAYS YOUR FOOD, YOUR BAR DRINKS AND NON-BAR DRINKS?? At this restaurant, the servers make the bar drinks, but she didn't have to even greet that table except to tell them she'd be right with them.

SERVERS 95% of the time delay your food and drinks from getting to you. I have people telling you that you are wrong about that you don't receive bad service, because even though bad service is an opinion, it's still not good service to get your order wrong or them forget things or them cut in front of your turn making you wait longest and someone else gets to be treated like royalty.

LOL - So, I only read about the first few paragraphs and a little at the end to see if there was some point here. You really went with something while completely misreading or ignoring the sentence you copied - I said exactly - "The kitchen being slow is not the servers fault". I never said slow service is always the kitchens fault which near as I can tell the very unnecessarily long point you are trying to make with all your life experiences with poor service. 

I hope this rant helped you feel better getting all that off your chest. It was kind of a waste of time. All you had to say was = Slow food is not always the kitchens fault either. And I would have said yes I agree - since again I never said slow food was always the kitchens fault. One more time just to make sure you don't miss it - I said - "The Kitchen being slow is not the servers fault'" not slow service is always the kitchens fault.  

A few responses to some very poor assumptions on your part - 

1. I worked in the business for almost 13 yrs from age 15 to age 28. About half in the kitchen (went to culinary school and was everything from a short order cook to sous-chef) and then bartender before moving into management. So let's just say I am aware. I am also keenly aware of people who whine constantly about things if they are not perfect. Servers are also people. They are not machines.  Neither is the kitchen. 

2. When you work at restaurants you eat out a lot since you have no time to cook. Then after spending 7 yrs getting my engineering degrees I have had jobs where I travel a lot. Over the last 20 yrs I have traveled form 50 to 80% meaning I eat out a lot and not just the US but all over the world. I have literally eaten out at 100s of places, actually several 1000. So you really missed that one too. 0-2. 

In the end the difference is that I have respect for servers and people in service industries because I know from experience it's not an easy job and people that feel entitled will place unreasonable expectations on you and then complain about you later - all so they can save a few $s. 

So to your last fairly arrogant question - you could not be further from the truth. I know exactly what is going on in a level of detail you have no clue about. It's like being a casual fan of football and watching it with an ex-head coach of a team at any level. Unlike you I know what they are supposed to be doing and what is within their responsibility and what is not. Most issues honestly can be traced back to poor management - if there is even an issue. 

And no, I do not consider small mistakes or errors bad service. I consider it a small mistake from another human being that is trying the best they can. When it's systemic or when they are rude, that is when it becomes bad service. Maybe trying to be a little bit more considerate and understanding and I bet your experiences will be much better. People tend to give what they get and vice versa.  

30 minutes ago, Springs1 said:

I ask nicely for things saying "Thank you" before they even get it and after with a "thank you very much" even at times, not just a "thank you" and I ask for everything I need at one time, but 99.9% of them don't write it down and forget things because they are lazy and uncaring to CARE if they forget something.  You don't get bad service? How do you know? Do you watch your server? Do you know if they are cutting in front of your turn or not or deciding to buss tables while you wait 10 minutes for your check when you could have left or not have common sense to know if they bring you the wrong food they are fully at fault for that or don't check the menu prices against the check prices? We have had LOTS of wrong overcharge prices over the years. We had one last week $10.00 was the dessert price I ordered as on the menu, we were charged $10.99.  If I can notice this, so can my server and are supposed to **CARE** about my money if they want a good tip for me to care about theirs.    Their money is not holier than thou or better than ours.  We are all EQUALS in this world! I haven't met ONE server that checks the prices, which shows how SELFISH servers are.  We tip 30% at times and I have even given $20 Christmas bonuses to my favorite servers a couple of years even.  So you can't say I'm cheap, it has NOTHING to do with that, it has to do with EQUALNESS showing you CARE about us the way they want us to CARE about they only make $2.13/hr.

You never get bad service, because you don't notice WTH is going on around you.  Isn't that correct?

How was the crabmeat au gratin?  Sounds ****ing delicious.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

LOL - So, I only read about the first few paragraphs and a little at the end to see if there was some point here. You really went with something while completely misreading or ignoring the sentence you copied - I said exactly - "The kitchen being slow is not the servers fault". I never said slow service is always the kitchens fault which near as I can tell the very unnecessarily long point you are trying to make with all your life experiences with poor service. 

The way you portrayed your post, it sounded like that is what you meant. Sorry, I apologize.

Slow food is not always the kitchens fault either.

Most of the time, slow food is the server's fault though.  It's RARE that it's the kitchen staff's fault honestly.

1. I worked in the business for almost 13 yrs from age 15 to age 28. About half in the kitchen (went to culinary school and was everything from a short order cook to sous-chef) and then bartender before moving into management. So let's just say I am aware. I am also keenly aware of people who whine constantly about things if they are not perfect. Servers are also people. They are not machines.  Neither is the kitchen. 

Customers are tipping machines either that automatically tip 20% either.  In other words, things can go wrong and I have still tipped well is my point, it's honestly how it is handled and WHY did it happen in the first place. 

For example, a waiter forgot to put our appetizer order into the computer. He offered us chips n' salsa while we waited which I told him I'd rather have something off the bill than more food, so he ended up getting us $5 off our bill. He profusely apologized twice for it. I did see why it happened that he had hugged someone at a table I remember him doing during that time as to why this happened. We gave him 16% BEFORE the discounted amount. Now if we had no comp, 10%, understand what I am saying? You show you don't care, we are going to treat you the same, because TIME IS MONEY for the customer AND the server. You make money off of more customers eating and leaving quickly which we are happier which makes you more money when we don't have long waits for our food(which was due to our waiter, he admitted it). So by you caring about our money, you gave us reason to care about your tip more, understand? Now obviously if he wouldn't have said he was sorry at all and acted like he could have cared less with no comp or apology, yes he would have gotten stiffed then. It's simply treating others as they have treated you. If you treat me like a human being that you *CARE*, I will CARE back, but if you act like you could care less, then don't expect me to care back. He shouldn’t have gotten 20% since he was **PLAYING ON THE JOB BY HUGGING SOMEONE IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF DOING HIS JOB AS HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN.  Work is supposed to be actual **WORK**, NOT PLAYING AROUND! That’s why it’s not called “hugging”, it’s called **SERVING*”

While he wasn't a machine, he was PLAYING on the job so that's why he messed up, not because he TRULY BUSTED his butt and TRIED his very best.

We also had a waitress overcharge us by pressing a wrong button. My husband and I both had entrees, which I added a salad to my entree, my husband didn't. The salad was $1.99 if you add it to an entree and it was $3.50 without an entree. The waitress charged me $3.50. This restaurant was not a chain, it was a local small restaurant, which only had literally 1 party of 2 besides my husband and I as well as one person at the bar, that's it. Now I go up to her to ask her why the salad was $3.50 and she goes "It's whatever is in the computer", so I have to show her the menu. This was my FIRST AND ONLY TIME THERE, BUT I KNEW THE PRICES BETTER THAN SHE DID, WHICH IS TRULY SAD, IT REALLY IS.  The fact is, the computer price DOESN'T MATTER, because if the menu states a certain price, well that's the price the server has to charge me, NOT what price is in the computer even if this would have been a wrong price on the menu issue.  I HATE, DESPISE, that attitude that the computer only matters as if the ADVERTISED PRICE ON THE MENU DOESN'T MATTER.  When customers order things off of a menu, they go by the price that is listed, NOT by a COMPUTER SYSTEM.  Anyway, she had ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO VERIFY THAT CHECK, BUT DECIDED TO BE LAZY. She didn't even ask for them to comp something which I feel she should have since it was HER mistake, not a wrong price in the computer, but it was COMPLETELY HER mistake for pressing the wrong button. My finalized check was "add house salad to entree" instead of just "house salad" as the first check had. Only thing she said was as she was handing me the corrected check "Sorry about the mistake." No "So sorry" as I feel she SHOULD have. This was over a dollar mistake, actually $1.51 to be exact, plus extra taxes and extra tip percentage that the higher check amount would have made her tip. Sorry, but I stiffed her because she HANDLED it as if she couldn't POSSIBLY be at fault when I went up to her. Telling me "It's whatever is in the computer" is EXTREMELY RUDE and it's also putting the blame on a computer, which even if the price was wrong such as (let's say the menu states $4.99 and the computer charges $4.49), it would still be on *HER* to notice that, NOT for the customer to have to notice it. I DON'T CARE what's in the computer; it's what's on the MENU that the customer sees, so that is what counts, NOT what's in the computer. See, if that would have been ME as the server in that situation, I would have automatically looked in the menu to INVESTIGATE the situation instead of blaming a computer.  I would have also apologized RIGHT AWAY by saying I was “so sorry “ as well as asked the manager to comp the salad for the longer wait. I couldn't fathom saying "It's whatever is in the computer" to someone, because people are SMARTER than computers. We can catch errors better than a computer. Think about spell check. If I write "Their" and "There", the computer will not catch which "There" or "Their" I meant. We as human beings have the POWER to make sure the computer has the correct price by double checking the check. I feel her *attitude* about the situation is what made me not tip. If she would have been NICER about it, then I DEFINATELY would have tipped her at least 10%.  Sorry, but we actually go out to eat every weekend just about, which we have been overcharged over 25 times LITERALLY since 2001 so I am really TIRED of showing the server PROOF that they overcharged me when honestly *THAT SERVER* COULD HAVE made sure they were charging me correctly. They make MORE money if the bill is higher too which is a higher overcharge than the exact amount. Like the $1.51 was like having approx. $1.75 taken from us due to not just taxes that are more but also percentage of tip more. I am just TRULY TIRED of DOUBLE CHECKING SERVERS for what *THEY* are supposed to be doing, NOT THE CUSTOMER!  What really got her no tip was NOT the MISTAKE, it was her LAZY ASS, UNCARING, ATTITUDE.  She acted as if she couldn't POSSIBLY be WRONG by telling me it's whatever is in the computer.  THAT IS SOOO MEAN.  The computer price really doesn't matter, because I am ONLY responsible for the price listed on the MENU, NOT the computer price since I NEVER ORDERED FROM THE COMPUTER!  It was just her attitude about it as if she was too LAZY to even try to find out by asking her manager.  Instead, I had to show her on the menu where it had that the side salads were $1.99 with an entree as if I worked there or something.  Trying to prove a menu situation whether it would be price or food related to a server should NEVER, EVER happen, because that server WORKS THERE, I DON'T.  The main reason that I stiffed her was that she acted like she didn't even want to investigate what I was asking, which was why the salad was $3.50.  She wants a tip, but doesn't care about her CUSTOMER'S MONEY.  She DESERVED her NO TIP.

Do you think when I asked her "Why is the side salad $3.50" that it was nice of her to say "It's whatever is in the computer" to me? If I would have been her, I would have NEVER said that and would have looked at the menu to see WHY. I would have never blamed a machine, EVER!! I would have IMMEDIATELY apologized when I would have seen I was wrong instead of saying NOTHING as she said to me.  I understand she apologized, but too little, too late, because her ATTITUDE showed she didn't mean it.  Blaming a computer for HER pressing the wrong button(which that's what it was), INFURIATES ME!!  Especially considering customers don’t order from computers, therefore, the computer price means NOTHING.  If the price would have been wrong in the computer, a nice, non-lazy, and caring server would have taken the effort to compare the menu to our check.  Then, would have gotten their manager to fix the situation so we wouldn't have been overcharged, but that wasn't what happened.  SHE PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON! You would think someone would be nice after showing her proof of what the menu stated by apologizing, but NO, a lot of servers out there only care about themselves, NOT as if that was their money.

I bet you would have still tipped, because you think we OWE ALL servers no matter what they do or how they treat us, am I right?

I know exactly what is going on in a level of detail you have no clue about.

Then why do you say you don't have bad service much?

Most issues honestly can be traced back to poor management

No, the managers can't make them do every single thing.   Also, the manager can't control their every little move. That's just impossible.  I even have had a manager say that it depends on the way you were raised if you apologize for a mistake or not.  In other words, the managers weren't going to mandate their servers apologize for their mistakes.  They know that every server will not do that.

And no, I do not consider small mistakes or errors bad service. I consider it a small mistake from another human being that is trying the best they can.

WTH do you get they are "TRYING THE BEST THEY CAN" when you see NO PEN AND PAPER IN THEIR HANDS TO WRITE YOUR ORDER AND ANY REQUESTS YOU HAVE DOWN? Do you realize the amount of times servers have forgotten something because I give them a list of 5 or 6 things and they can't remember them by memory alone??? That's NOT trying your best. Trying your best is actually putting down a list so you can go back to it just like a grocery list.  

Also, some servers ask you for help. I cannot count HOW MANY TIMES servers "AUCTION" off drinks "WHO HAD THE COKE" and it was only 4 person party. HOW is that "TRYING YOUR BEST" to ask the customer for help, huh?

Trying your best is to compare the menu prices to the check prices so I as the customer don't have to.  I don't know ONE server who cares enough to care about what they hand you if it has the correct numbers on the check or not.

Trying your best is trying your best and MAJORITY are LAZY SERVERS. Most don't try their best.  Most don't write down things. Once, I asked for a box 3 times and finally the 4th trip he made he brought it to me.  First time he didn't write it down, then came back without it, then brought a bag for the bread when I wanted a box(the bread gets hard as a rock in the bag in the refrigerator), and then finally the 4th time I finally get that box.  That's not trying your best, is it??

You shouldn't be asking me "You had coke", because it should be written down and/or on the check if the check list the exact soft drink and not just "cold beverage." 

Also, these things aren't mistakes or errors if the server isn't TRYING their best, it's acts of laziness and being uncaring.  I once asked if my server could write my order down, she's like "I got it", she got things wrong.  That just hurts my feelings to see how she didn't give a care and how lazy it was of her.  It's not mistakes, it's lacks of caring and just being lazy.

A good example, at Chili's once, asked for a side of ranch and a side of bbq sauce with my food.  Another server runs the food it's not there so I tell that person. They don't get it.  Our waitress sees me while she is pouring out of a pitcher at another table I am not eating and I said I had told the other server, 4 minutes passes by before my husband says just get up to ask a manager.  It took 4 tries to get 2 condiments to MY SERVER could have brought me out ahead of time and she could have also investigated if the other waiter was getting them.    Her tip was 9%.  A good server tries to get things right and doesn't rely on things they can control getting to the customer like condiments need no cooking so you can bring that stuff out before the food is ready, actually WELL BEFORE the food is ready. 

The waitress in the story above about the cheesecake wanted to order for me without my consent. HOW is that a "MISTAKE", huh? That was pure mean and hatefulness on her part because of PURE LAZINESS!! She was too lazy to come back to ask if it was OK with us. In the end, she ended up having more work. She got punished for it by having MORE WORK since we handed her back the strawberry cheesecake we did NOT order NOR consent to.

Also, a lot of issues aren't mistakes and are ASSUMPTIONS like bringing the check without asking when you didn't want it or ask for it, assuming you want another drink, etc. Those aren't mistakes, but control things that they want that control over your dining experience.  The waitress that gave us a strawberry cheesecake slice, that was her ordering for us.  That's not how customer service is supposed to go when we ordered the raspberry flavor.

We are regulars at a particular restaurant and a server all of a sudden decided to order our soft drinks for us.  That's delaying our appetizer or entrée  order or bar drink order if we order those when greeted. The sooner you put in the order, the sooner we get that item.  That's just not a nice thing to do, but yet they are controlling our dining experience without thinking about that they aren't the customer that is PAYING for the service so they shouldn't have a say so in it.  Well anyway, my husband one time had so much soft drinks that day he just wanted a water and sent her back with the diet coke SHE ordered.  Needless to say her tip go lowered.  That's NOT MISTAKES, that's ORDERING for your customers.  YOU DON'T take control of my dining experience.  My server's job is to get the service *I* want , NOT what they want or think we want. Plus how DINGY and STUPID are these servers to not realize they are DELAYING our food and any bar drinks we order?? Another waitress even brought out the condiments I order ahead of time plus ordered our drinks.  I was some pissed off we waited a lot longer for our food because of her doing that first.  That's just mean.  It's also ridiculous that she had NO COMMON SENSE to know that the longer you wait to get our orders, the LONGER we wait for our food. HOW STUPID are servers? So far, we have had 3 servers do this crap.  I did report it at the restaurant that had 2 servers to do that.  Thank GOD I don't have them delaying our food anymore or bar drinks. It's just INCONSIDERATE behavior.

So when you say mistakes, not all servers do mistakes, in fact, a good chunk of them actually don't try their best at ALL! Why can't you see that, huh?

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

How was the crabmeat au gratin?  Sounds ****ing delicious.

I don't know since my husband ate that.  That story was over 10yrs ago at least.  I remember it though.

https://www.donsseafoodonline.com/

That's the restaurant we went to back then.

9 minutes ago, Springs1 said:

The way you portrayed your post, it sounded like that is what you meant. I read it differently, Sorry, I apologize.

Again, not reading the entire thing. I didn't "portray" my post any other way than how I wrote it - "A slow kitchen is not the servers fault" really no ambiguity there. You just wanted to rant because you an ax to grind on servers so you read into it what you wanted so you could rant. 

I deleted where you should have stopped and corrected the statement. This is my last response. 

Archived