Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

stop being so mean to the kids

that's my thing

I don’t even consider it mean. I’m honestly perplexed.

Every other QB, I could at least understand both sides of the debate.  The believers and the non believers.  Griffin, Kirk, Alex.  While I landed on one side, I could at least understand where the other was coming from even though I disagreed.

But with Taylor, I wonder if they are watching the same games as I do. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t even consider it mean. I’m honestly perplexed.

Every other QB, I could at least understand both sides of the debate.  The believers and the non believers.  Griffin, Kirk, Alex.  While I landed on one side, I could at least understand where the other was coming from even though I disagreed.

But with Taylor, I wonder if they are watching the same games as I do. 

I think it's the story more than anything. People love the underdog stories and Heinicke's fit that to a t.

A scrappy and hard working undrafted guy who'd been in and out of the league, was down on his luck a bit and sleeping on peoples' couches. Then he gets the call and is on an NFL team and comes in and turns in a gutsy playoff performance, turning his life around.

It's basically a movie plot. So I get why people became attached to it.

But it also completely omits the reasons he was out of the league and why he ended up being a ho-hum starter at best this season. So people get attached emotionally and then all actual evidence and logic goes out the window.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, mojo said:

If we draft a QB, I could Heinicke starting the season and giving the rookie a few games to get acclimated.

Idk, man, Mac Jones started week 1, Herbert started week 2 his rookie season.  Neither of them were expected to be what they are today when they were drafted, but those teams did their homework and we need to do the same.

I'm scared we do something like draft Willis and he's jus too raw to beat out Heinicke to start the season. 

I'm not convinced we start the season with falcons game Heinicke, we are going to get close to a continuation of what we've seen to close out the season.  And if our rookie isn't better then that, I'd be concerned. 

I really don't want a project QB.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think it's the story more than anything.

Agreed. People think they know more than professionals in a lot of fields these days, so when they scrape some putz off his sisters couch and thrust him on the field, all of us outta shape 40+ yos start thinking we could do that too! I've got moxie and something left in the tank. Why shouldn't I be throwing awkward passes to the other team? It's a good self esteem booster.

• Haha 3

Ya'll can say a lot abaout TH but we ended up in practically the same spot as last year.

Big diff is the other teams in the division reached a better record an we missed the paloffs.

But frankly, it's hard to consider any improvement during this season, given the circumstances.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. People think they know more than professionals in a lot of fields these days, so when they scrape some putz off his sisters couch and thrust him on the field, all of us outta shape 40+ yos start thinking we could do that too! I've got moxie and something left in the tank. Why shouldn't I be throwing awkward passes to the other team? It's a good self esteem booster.

Wait...I'm 44...

Are you telling me I can't play in the NFL? But...that was my plan...

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d5db75fb167149fc31dcef8c0cea73f35b0fe4c4&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, clietas said:

What's your moxie rating?

:ols:  This feels like an RPG or something.

My current attibutes are:

Dexterity: 52

Strength: 46

Constitution: 42

Intelligence: 54

Wisdom: 10 (I spend all my time on ES, for god's sake)

Charisma: 48

Moxie: 50

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 3

This post isn't about the future, but just about appreciating a really good story.

A year ago, Taylor Heinicke wasn't even considered good enough to hold the clipboard as a third string QB. After his showing in the playoffs against the Bucs, he wasn't good enough to be signed for decent back up QB money. Here was this unrewarded, undrafted, unrewarded kid who's fallen behind on his math homework who still wanted to chase his dream. So, he takes a bottom basement salary (which is still an enormous salary by human standards) and compiles 3,000 yards, a positive touchdown to interception ratio, and contributes to seven wins. All this with a defense that for most of the year played like crap.

That's pretty remarkable. It lacks the Hollywood ending, but it has everything else. Looking back, he got to live his dream at the highest level and for a time, he made everyone a believer.

Pretty darn cool.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mistertim said:

I really wish we would stop with this "Heinicke is essentially a rookie" stuff. It drove me nuts when people did it with Kirk as well when he was in his 4th season.

Heinicke isn't a rookie. He isn't "essentially" a rookie. This is his 6th NFL season. The main things that actual rookies have to deal with when coming to the NFL is the change in the level of talent, the speed of the game, and the complexity of offenses as well as understanding NFL level defenses. 

Heinicke has experience with those things for years. Has he gotten to actually start much before now? Nope. Does tha thave an effect? Yep. Does it mean he's "essentially a rookie"? Nope. He's been exposed to years to the talent level, speed, and complexity of the NFL. He just wasn't good enough to actually get much playing time.

Can we please put this whole "he's a rookie" thing to bed?

I think judging his first 17 starts to the first 17 starts of rookies is fine to do. 
Was he a rookie nope, but comparing his first year starting to others first years is fine in my eyes.

22 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think it's the story more than anything. People love the underdog stories and Heinicke's fit that to a t.

A scrappy and hard working undrafted guy who'd been in and out of the league, was down on his luck a bit and sleeping on peoples' couches. Then he gets the call and is on an NFL team and comes in and turns in a gutsy playoff performance, turning his life around.

It's basically a movie plot. So I get why people became attached to it.

But it also completely omits the reasons he was out of the league and why he ended up being a ho-hum starter at best this season. So people get attached emotionally and then all actual evidence and logic goes out the window.

I think you hit it there. The only thing I will add is there are people

who claim to be wft fans who openly despised what TH did and said he didn’t even deserve a shot. They always changed the goal post distance and never said anything good about him.

the only thing I wanted to see was could he play at a high enough level

to be a starter for several years and we got the answer. But those that never wanted to see this chance just seemed way off .

10 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

who claim to be wft fans who openly despised what TH did and said he didn’t even deserve a shot. They always changed the goal post distance and never said anything good about him.

the only thing I wanted to see was could he play at a high enough level

to be a starter for several years and we got the answer. But those that never wanted to see this chance just seemed way off .

I've seen this multiple times from a few different posters, but I have yet to see any supporting evidence. Who exactly can you point to that "openly despised" Heinicke?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tomwvr said:
22 hours ago, mistertim said:

Who?

Proof or it didn’t happen.

You aren’t alone in this narrative but it seems based in what you perceive, not necessarily what’s really being posted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Who?

You aren’t alone in this narrative but it seems based in what you perceive, not necessarily what’s really being posted.

What I read was if I remember not here, but in other skins sites. 
there are those that wanted him to fail and hated him From Day 1.

and no I can’t search post from a year ago.

7 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

What I read was if I remember not here, but in other skins sites. 
there are those that wanted him to fail and hated him From Day 1.

and no I can’t search post from a year ago.

This is the equivalent of "I totally have a girlfriend. She lives in a different state so you wouldn't know her."

Unless you can provide some supporting evidence I'm going to have to ask you to withdraw your statement, post-haste. Nobody here "openly despised" Heinicke or wanted him to fail.

That's basically a fantasy that hardcore Heinicke supporters concocted so they could ignore valid criticisms of his play.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Who?

And if you do some searches the wft (redskins) or what ever the new name is went after him and hated him

for his political views and did not want him to succeed. And every time he did good they changed the way to look at him.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is the equivalent of "I totally have a girlfriend. She lives in a different state so you wouldn't know her."

Unless you can provide some supporting evidence I'm going to have to ask you to withdraw your statement, post-haste. Nobody here "openly despised" Heinicke or wanted him to fail.

That's basically a fantasy that hardcore Heinicke supporters concocted so they could ignore valid criticisms of his play.

And all I wanted to see was can he or can’t he lead the team and he proved at his best he can but he can not sustain that best level

enough to lead the team for a season

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

And if you do some searches the wft (redskins) or what ever the new name is went after him and hated him

for his political views and did not want him to succeed. And every time he did good they changed the way to look at him.

Dude you're grasping at straws and just making **** up now. Nobody hated him because of his political views (when the hell did he talk about his political views?) or because of his name or where he went to school or his tattoos or his hair, or any. other. reason.

Some people questioned whether he had the requisite tools to be a full time starting NFL QB and were dubious about it. But everyone gave him a chance and not a single person here would have been pissed off if he'd blown up and become an elite QB.

Just stop with this fantasy that people who had some critical views of Heinicke's play "despised" him. I was critical of his play at times but I never despised him (or even disliked him at all). I wasn't convinced that he had what it took and was skeptical, but I was more than willing to see what he could do and I would have been ecstatic if he'd ended up being the answer. He also seems like a very good dude and his story is great. But that doesn't mean he's fit to be a full time NFL starter.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1