Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Where are the most people declining COVID-19 vaccines? See how your state ranks.

Recent surges of the delta variant in much of the United States are attributable part to vaccine hesitancy.

According to a recent survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, 25,900,000 Americans — or 10.4% of the 18 and older population — say they will either probably or definitely not agree to receive the vaccination.

The share of eligible residents who will likely decline vaccination varies considerably nationwide, from as many as 25.2% of the adult population to as little as 3.7%, depending on the state. States where the largest shares of adults are open to taking the vaccine are concentrated in the Northeast.

Many Americans who have yet to be vaccinated cite one of three reasons: either they are concerned about possible side effects, or they want to wait to see if it is safe, or it is difficult for them to obtain a vaccination. Others cite different reasons.

Nationwide, 16,300,000 people, 6.5% of the adult population, do not trust the COVID-19 vaccines, and another 6,980,000, or 2.8%, do not think COVID-19 is a big threat. Additionally, 13,800,000 American adults, or 5.5% of the 18 and older population, have not been vaccinated because they do not trust the government.

Meanwhile, the virus continues to spread. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been 36,547,639 confirmed cases of the virus and a total of 616,711 Americans have died as a result.

So far, 169,592,873 Americans — or 51.1% of the total population — have received the full course of vaccinations necessary to protect against COVID-19, according to the CDC.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

So @TheGreatBuzz and I went out for a date night. As we were waiting to enter the movie theater, next door was a restaurant with outdoor seating. 2 couples, mid 60s perhaps had just sat down to dine. They are mask free. 

a young server approaches the table. One of the women, let’s call her Karen, asks “are you vaccinated?” The server responds “I’m  not allowed to answer that.” Karen responds “well either you answer the question or you are going to go get a mask!”  The server goes inside, we can see a convo occurring inside. The manager returns to the table and politely explains that they ask their servers to wear a mask if not vaccinated, however they do not require proof or ask them personally if they have been. She indicated they have a policy and expect their employees to abide by it. She did throw out the HIPAA term. The table themselves threw out misinformation as well. The manager told them they were free to leave, that this was the policy for their establishment and the choices they have made for their patrons and staff. 

I’m a vaccine fan. I’m a mask when needed fan. I am not a fan of people being a-holes just to be a-holes. If you are THAT concerned of your personal boundaries on masks - take the 5 min and call ahead to ask the policy of the PRIVATE establishment. 

Just be kind. 

end rant. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I’m a vaccine fan. I’m a mask when needed fan. I am not a fan of people being a-holes just to be a-holes. If you are THAT concerned of your personal boundaries on masks - take the 5 min and call ahead to ask the policy of the PRIVATE establishment. 

Wearing a mask is a signal to other people that you aren’t a ****ing asshole. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

So you agree the maskless patrons were a-holes! Rude and maskless. Glad we agree!

Pointing out that your story involves THREE maskless people. Curiously, you seem to be slapping a label on only one side of the dispute. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think her point was that they could have called to get the mask info. 

And the restaurant would have told potential customers, in advance, that their business has a policy of saying that employees should follow health rules, but if the employee chooses not to, the business will defend the employee, and order the customer to leave?  

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Pointing out that your story involves THREE maskless people. Curiously, you seem to be slapping a label on only one side of the dispute. 

Actually it was 5. Again, my issue wasn’t them having their belief or opinion. The issue was the rude manner in which they behaved. 

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

And the restaurant would have told potential customers, in advance, that their business has a policy of saying that employees should follow health rules, but if the employee chooses not to, the business will defend the employee, and order the customer to leave?  

They never ordered them to leave. They simply calmly explained their policy and indicated if they were not comfortable they would understand if they chose to go elsewhere. And the health rules in VA were being followed at the establishment. VA does not have a state mandate on masks. 

11 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

So @TheGreatBuzz and I went out for a date night. As we were waiting to enter the movie theater, next door was a restaurant with outdoor seating. 2 couples, mid 60s perhaps had just sat down to dine. They are mask free. 

a young server approaches the table. One of the women, let’s call her Karen, asks “are you vaccinated?” The server responds “I’m  not allowed to answer that.” Karen responds “well either you answer the question or you are going to go get a mask!”  The server goes inside, we can see a convo occurring inside. The manager returns to the table and politely explains that they ask their servers to wear a mask if not vaccinated, however they do not require proof or ask them personally if they have been. She indicated they have a policy and expect their employees to abide by it. She did throw out the HIPAA term. The table themselves threw out misinformation as well. The manager told them they were free to leave, that this was the policy for their establishment and the choices they have made for their patrons and staff. 

Just be kind. 

end rant. 

Agreed.  If you’re that worried about it,  stay the F home.

Surgeon General Vivek Murthy: It is Very Reasonable For Businesses and Universities to Require Vaccinations

Anti-vaxxers aren’t likely to take restrictions well as viral videos from many school board meetings have shown. Up until this point, people who have failed to get vaccinated haven’t faced much hardship. But that can be changing in the new few months.

This week, the University of Virginia removed students who have refused to get the shot from their rolls. And that just might be the start for anti-vaxxers. On Sunday morning, Vivek Murthy noted that businesses and colleges requiring vaccine is a very reasonable thing to do.

The Surgeon General made the comments while appearing as a guest on CNN’s State of the Union. He told host Brianna Keilar. “We already know that there are many businesses and universities that have moved toward vaccine requirements and I think that’s a very reasonable thing to do to create a safe environment.”

Click on the link for the full article