Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vince McMahon doesn't want his property (talent) to make money outside of the WWE

spjunkies

I didn't put this in the wrestling thread because I think it deserves more attention as a stand alone thread. I think they shouldn't be allowed to use their wrestling names, but to restrict these people from earning additional income is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Kind of like White getting rid of fighter sponserships, I suppose.  That sucked.  I liked all the fight gear being displayed on custom trunks.  The bland Reebok crap really took some personality out of the sport.

I dunno, Vince may be an asshole to some accounts - but he is Jebus Christmas to wrestling.  Nobody talks about how great of a play by play commentator he was, before the CEO reveal.  Such a master of the craft when the cameras are on.

4 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Kind of like White getting rid of fighter sponserships, I suppose.  That sucked.  I liked all the fight gear being displayed on custom trunks.  The bland Reebok crap really took some personality out of the sport.

I dunno, Vince may be an asshole to some accounts - but he is Jebus Christmas to wrestling.  Nobody talks about how great of a play by play commentator he was, before the CEO reveal.  Such a master of the craft when the cameras are on.

See, the UFC thing is acceptable because it's showing items on company time, but this crap Vince is pulling is on a whole different level. There have already been reports that he doesn't want mega stars anymore like The Rock or SCSA who are bigger than the WWE, now he pulls this to pull the rug from under them when the company can't even provide health insurance for the performers. 

Just completely screwed up. 

Umm, strike! Hit Vinny in the wallet, that is what he cares about most. Anyways, when I found out his wife, Linda, had bought herself a position in the Trump cabinet (Administrator of the Small Business Administration), I knew the WWE was evil for real.

13 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

See, the UFC thing is acceptable because it's showing items on company time, but this crap Vince is pulling is on a whole different level. There have already been reports that he doesn't want mega stars anymore like The Rock or SCSA who are bigger than the WWE, now he pulls this to pull the rug from under them when the company can't even provide health insurance for the performers. 

Just completely screwed up. 

You're on the wrong side of the majority with the UFC thing.  A lot of these cats got their faces smashed for low 5...sometimes 4 figures.  Had to pay their trainers afterwards.  It's gotten better, but when Reebok hit, it changed most fighters' lives for the worse.  To be fair, the company eventually got even richer and payouts are better.

To me, it's kind of the same mechanism...just much different execution.

What is the low salary for a WWE wrestler these days?

And look, the product sucks. Let's go through a long-standing emo phase after the ****ing attitude era.  Good lord.  At the end of the day, that's on Vince.  There are no "superstars" coming out of the whiney boy era.

Not trying to debate, just thinking out loud.  Educate me.

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How would you know about the wrestlers to care enough about them to join them on YouTube or twitch.

they are popular because of the stories the wwe write for them.... 

So by that logic then actors in TV series shouldn’t be allowed to do anything other than the TV series that they’re working on.

I think, and I could be wrong because I haven’t followed WWE since it was practically WWF, that Vince McMahon has treated his talent horrifically. He encouraged the use of steroids and other dangerous practices that shorten their lives and led to a terrible quality of life. The working conditions in the WWE were pretty poor, particularly for the younger talent. Vince and company had a penchant for picking favorites and those who weren’t in favor with Vince were at a severe disadvantage. 

22 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How would you know about the wrestlers to care enough about them to join them on YouTube or twitch.

Of course that's true, but this is them on their own time outside of the wwe bubble, none of them are portraying their character on these platforms. 

It's being said this is in reaction to AJ Styles revealing he had covid during a stream.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2020/09/04/wwe-blames-leaking-sensitive-information-on-decision-to-ban-superstars-from-twitch-cameo/amp/

36 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

You're on the wrong side of the majority with the UFC thing.  A lot of these cats got their faces smashed for low 5...sometimes 4 figures.  Had to pay their trainers afterwards.  It's gotten better, but when Reebok hit, it changed most fighters' lives for the worse.  To be fair, the company eventually got even richer and payouts are better.

To me, it's kind of the same mechanism...just much different execution.

What is the low salary for a WWE wrestler these days?

And look, the product sucks. Let's go through a long-standing emo phase after the ****ing attitude era.  Good lord.  At the end of the day, that's on Vince.  There are no "superstars" coming out of the whiney boy era.

Not trying to debate, just thinking out loud.  Educate me.

I'm completely on the stars side with the Reebok situation, just saying I see how it happened, similar to how the NFL got so lame with their sponsorships. 

I think some of the lower tier talent on the wwe roster makes around 60-100k per year with no health insurance. 

It stinks.

26 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So by that logic then actors in TV series shouldn’t be allowed to do anything other than the TV series that they’re working on.

sure. If the network can get them to sign that contract. No one is forcing the wwe talent to sign the contract.

I mean, they could leave wwe to start their own YouTube channel, the way multiple YouTube stars have done. 

I don’t know a lot about the wwe but it seems strange to me they wouldn’t want big stars... stars sell...

I haven't followed pro wrestling since WCW, but I've always heard that unless you're one of the headliners Vince McMahon will treat you like you're more expendable than the average restaurant worker.  When Kamala died last month I read an article that said he got paid peanuts compared to other wrestlers even when he was doing main event matches with guys like Hulk.  It just seems like a terrible business to be in and for every guy like John Cena or Ric Flair who get good lives out of it you have a few dozen Randy the Ram types who wake up at age 40 with broken down bodies and empty pockets.

Tricky situation. Employees of Coca-Cola aren't independent contractors, but in their contracts, they are not allowed to drink Pepsi products. 

Restaurants employees are not contracted. They absolutely could be fired for certain behavior even off the clock, because they represent the brand. 

If you sign a contract with WWE. You have to be aware of that clause possibly being in the contract. 

LaVar Arrington was not named in video games until his second deal. He and his agents missed or forgot about it the second contract. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

And?  Actors don’t generally write and direct their own movies.  They do the acting part though right?  Same exact situation applies to wrestling.  

3 hours ago, Destino said:

And?  Actors don’t generally write and direct their own movies.  They do the acting part though right?  Same exact situation applies to wrestling.  

what is your point, though? If you don’t want to work with the wwe then don’t.... if you do then work for threm, under their rules.

i think if there was a wrestler like the rock demanding to be allowed to make money on twitch and threatened to leave over it, wwe would quickly cave.  None of the wrestlers now have that kind of moxie...

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

what is your point, though? If you don’t want to work with the wwe then don’t.... if you do then work for threm, under their rules.

i think if there was a wrestler like the rock demanding to be allowed to make money on twitch and threatened to leave over it, wwe would quickly cave.  None of the wrestlers now have that kind of moxie...

The issue is it wasn't originally "their rules" until now. They are trying to get in on it now because they see big money can be made from these outlets.

These wrestlers can't just up and quit because they will be breaching their contract, that's why the whole "independent contractor" thing is a sham.

10 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

The issue is it wasn't originally "their rules" until now. They are trying to get in on it now because they see big money can be made from these outlets.

These wrestlers can't just up and quit because they will be breaching their contract, that's why the whole "independent contractor" thing is a sham.

Don’t renew your contract with WWE next time it’s up for renewal...  WWE certainly has a right to protect their IP, and a character is certainly IP...

WWE actors should take the wwe to court, similar to what the girls working at strip clubs and only fans did... 

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Don’t renew your contract with WWE next time it’s up for renewal...  WWE certainly has a right to protect their IP, and a character is certainly IP...

WWE actors should take the wwe to court, similar to what the girls working at strip clubs and only fans did... 

That's the issue, Paige and all others started streaming under their real names, completely out of character and now that's being yanked away from them. I think Saraya (Paige) is looking into legal options so we shall see how this whole thing plays out. 

Let’s say you work at a salon for a company and you attract a following by doing a good job and you have a Twitter following or whatever.... then you open up your own nail salon with a different name but marketing to the following you gained from working for the other company... so you really expect the other company to be fine with that.  Non competes should be in every high value contract so u would be shocked if the wwe didn’t have a non compete...

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Let’s say you work at a salon for a company and you attract a following by doing a good job and you have a Twitter following or whatever.... then you open up your own nail salon with a different name but marketing to the following you gained from working for the other company... so you really expect the other company to be fine with that.  Non competes should be in every high value contract so u would be shocked if the wwe didn’t have a non compete...

Their non-compete clauses are for other wrestling promotions which twitch clearly is not. The better comparison would be 20th Century Fox telling Selma Hayek she can't stream because she agreed to a 5 picture deal with them while having no anti-stream clause in the contract. 

Archived