Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

Few things:

1. Watching videos of Haskins, I'm still noticing a strong tendency to jump pass, throw off of one foot, etc. This is going to be a nightmare for his accuracy. I would have figured this would be a huge point of focus this offseason, but it looks like it's still a problem.

2. Chase was held out of full team work today. Apparently he had a hip flexor (per John Keim)

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

1. Watching videos of Haskins, I'm still noticing a strong tendency to jump pass, throw off of one foot, etc. This is going to be a nightmare for his accuracy. I would have figured this would be a huge point of focus this offseason, but it looks like it's still a problem.

Not sure what specifically you're talking about.  But if it's throwing on the run, that's different technique.  Pretty sure both Favre and Rodgers did that with the Packers.  

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Anyone think it’s extremely worrying that Chase hasn’t done 11v11 with the ones yet, and he’s a second overall pick?

I think we should trade hime for a 2021 3rd round pick and 2022 2nd round pick whole we can. 

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

According to this the media will be covering for the next two weeks, weather permitting.  If they get chased into the bubble, then it's closed doors.  I did see that they are practicing outside today despite the rain.  

Be careful using the words "Chase" and "Bubble" in the same sentence.
Might scare some folk with that :)

I will say I will have a lot of optimism for this coaching staff if they can make a player out Apke, who I've seen mentioned frequently the last few days.  If we can take guys with physical traits and make them play smart and with technique, that's a step up from the previous regime.

37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Glad we can maybe count on some TE and WR blocking, considering the OL we have.

From what I'm reading it sounds like pass pro is the issue.  Also sounds like Peyton Barber is a lock for the team as he's the RB with the best pass protection skills.

Hentges and AGG seem to (so far) be firmly on the 2nd team?

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

From what I'm reading it sounds like pass pro is the issue.  Also sounds like Peyton Barber is a lock for the team as he's the RB with the best pass protection skills.

Hentges and AGG seem to (so far) be firmly on the 2nd team?

I'm pretty sure they are rotating different people everyday. In Ron's presser, the only WR who is consistently with the 1's is Terry. Everyone else is in competition.

I just got to say that the actual and systematic competition going on is ****ing refreshing to see.

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I like to daydream and think that this team is not too far away from being comparable to the Ravens team that won the Super Bowl ;

Dominating defense, and a mediocre but disciplined offense that doesn't give away the game that the defense seals for them.

Special teams is where todays rules would hurt a team like that. Jermaine Lewis was a beast return man

37 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I was hoping that would not be the case. Part of me was actually hoping Barber wasn't that great, because it would make decisions much more difficult on who to cut, if anyone, among the RB's.

Even with Guice gone, it's going to be tough to keep all these guys, and tough to part with any of them, at the same time -

AP, Gibson, Love, McKissic, Barber.

So do they classify Gibson as a WR, rather then keep 5 RB's ?

Does someone end up on an injury report, after getting a bad mosquito bite ?

Otherwise, who ya gonna cut ?  And PS is not an option. The ones that are eligible would get swiped quick.

Wait, isn't the roster size increased this season ? Maybe they do keep 5 RB's ?

Wait, isn't the roster size increased this season ? Maybe they do keep 5 RB's ?

I think it's still just 53 players.  The Practice Squad got increased to 16 though.

I got it down to 53 players (25 on offense) via 3 QB's, 5 RB's, 3 TE's, 5 WR's, and 9 OL.

Thought it was use more 21 and 20 personnel instead of 11 and 12 personnel like years past.  Instead of having Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis going in motion to check what the defense is showing, we have Gibson and McKissic go in motion.  So we're still able to do pre-snap trickery/confusion for the defense.  It's just the RB's instead of the TE's.  Which is honestly probably a good thing, as Jordan Reed was basically a huge WR that couldn't block anyways.  Defenses didn't care if Jordan was on the field with Vernon or not.  They treated it like 11 personnel regardless.

Maybe defenses think twice about going to Nickel or Dime D, if we've got AP/Love/Barber on the field at the same time as McKissic/Gibson?

Just now, PartyPosse said:

What’s the story on the TE situation? I heard Logan looks great but what about anyone else?

Hentges in the mix. Looked good blocking, and had decent hands last season. So he probably makes the team.

Havn't heard anything about Richard Rodgers. But I think his dad is one of our coaches, so maybe he makes team too, because of that, ha

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hentges in the mix. Looked good blocking, and had decent hands last season. So he probably makes the team.

Havn't heard anything about Richard Rodgers. But I think his dad is one of our coaches, so maybe he makes team too, because of that, ha

Is Moss practicing?

Isn’t Moss only 6’2”? Looks about that to me. He is kinda short for a TE, considering he doesn’t have quickness to balance it out. I don’t have a ton of hope for him, I might be leading the Logan Thomas fan club around here though, as late career TE breakouts are not an unknown thing especially when the athleticism is there and there are extenuating circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

To be exact, he's 6'3...according to multiple sources.

Looks like you’re right. Then I’m guessing it’s his bulk making him appear wider and thus shorter, like an optical illusion. 

Archived