Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Am I alone in *liking* a run-heavy philosophy?

Smash-mouth, physical football. Grind out yards, and give your QB (and I mean a real NFL QB) opportunities for play-action and deep shots attacking a softer secondary that’s starting to crowd the box.

Meanwhile you’re hopefully moving the chains and dominating TOP to keep your defense fresh.

Good for postseason, cold weather conditions.

And remember, run first includes the QB! Dual threat guys who can keep defenses especially honest while possessing the arm to punish them downfield as well.

That doesn’t mean a formula of “run-run-pass”. But overall, I like the philosophy.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Turner aside for a second, focusing squarely on Ron iv got some very fundamental issues with this guy, part of me wants to fall for his PR stunt of this nice guy, great leader etc etc but this is a business, a results business and facts are facts.

1. Accountability

Perhaps my biggest issue with him as it contradicts how he tries to present himself as being this uber accountable leader, then looks to excuse his lack of results at every turn:

Excuses used for this season include our third round running back being shot, the roster being too young and in recent weeks he's blamed injuries. If your into your third year as HC and the beginning of your season falls apart because you don't have your newly drafted 3rd round running back then what you've built isn't strong enough im sorry. Injuries was a non excuse we actually haven't suffered that badly this season. The Youth comment is so bizarre, who has been HC for 3 years? You built it this way!

He's gaslighting, all his excuses fall apart at a cursory glance.

2. Talent Evaluation

A high % of his big decisions have proven to be wrong, He hired and kept Scott Turner as OC for 3 years, He traded for Carson Wentz and paid him $28m this year, He let Brandon Scherff walk over $ and brought in old crappy Panthers to produce one of if not the worst O Line in football, He went big on William Jackson III a man corner and pushed him to play zone, and now ladies and gents he's about to choose a new OC and QB, alarming isn't it?

3. Philosophy

Groucho Marx "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others", he doesn't have a clear direction, he just blows with the wind, "You guys want Heinicke? Ok, Now you want Howell, Ok" and to my mind its all so he can use the excuse "Well that's what you asked for".

This is absolute nonsense, 1. if you want to be a run first team then why have you paid Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel and drafted Jahan Dotson in the first? Seriously? 2. They don't control the tempo at all, they also don't win Championships, Superbowls etc. Run heavy teams are run heavy because their passing game is garbage and usually the QB isn't up to much. It's not controlling the tempo its just doing damage limitation by keeping the opposition off the field and it doesn't work as half as much as he'd have you believe. Go back through the list of SB winners, how many hand on heart can you tell yourself were genuinely run first?

3 years of Ron has been mediocre and in hindsight I'd argue much of his work was done after about 12 months, we've not progressed since certainly not in results and this IS a results business I don't wanna hear about moral victories or potential that's all meaningless as John Allen says.

That ownership change can't come soon enough, he's pulled us from Texans levels of mediocrity but it's reached its ceiling and now its time for us to bring in a serious talent evaluator who can progress on these foundations.

A coach like RR may WANT to do 2-1 run-pass, but a good coach would just do whatever it takes to WIN. That may require 3 passes to every run, or 4 runs to every pass. 

The problem with run-focused coaches is that they have a hard time understanding that you need to pass to score points...and you need to run to shorten the game once you have scored enough points.

To do this, you need a good QB, something this team has lacked since Kirk left, at least on a consistent basis.

As a Steelers fan the early Cowher years were frustrating since we had a good run game and good defense...but were cursed with QBs with names like O'Donnell, Brister, Stewart, Smith, and Tomczak. 🙄

Even run-first Vince Lombardi understood all this...in fact he wrote a book called Pass to Score, Run to Win.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

Of course, any philosophy is just a framework that molds to game situations.

If you’re playing from behind, you have to pass more (and need a QB who can do that).

If you’re playing a weak secondary you’ll want to punish them.

If defenses are selling out to stop the run you have to adapt.

That’s the case with any philosophy.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Hindsight

Bull****. Many of us knew it was a bad move when it happened. 

and we picked up the contract on a guy that about to be cut; for the second time by a team that didn’t have another option at the time. 

it wasn’t hindsight. It was bad decision making and many knew it in real time. 

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Where are those rumors being reported? 

The podcasts I listen to

i don’t know if “reported” is the right word though. 

Its just a boomer and old school mentality that no team should be striving to build in todays game. If you want to be competitive in said season to mask a bad QB situation and overall bad offense sure itll bring you to the roughly 500 mark. But to what end? Perpetual mediocrity? Thats pretty much what we have had for the last 20 years. 

The teams goals havent been super bowl. Its been just be competitive. Its easy to bring your team out of the depths of the horrific teams. 1-2 drafts alone built upon the exact thing we built can be done with relative ease. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:31 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like we all want Jay Gruden to return?  Jay is on like every local radio show these days, people just need to call in and start a movement.

@Voice_of_Reason seems to have backed off the criticism.  After an off season of him suggesting Scott Turner should be a head coach.  It feels like he's come around now on Jay.  I think if he starts the movement, others will follow?  😀

It’s true. I’v come to the conclusion the bad leadership, horrible staff hires, falling in love with less talented guys, running on first down 90% of the time we’re all due to temporary insanity and Jay got a raw deal.

We should immediately hire him as OC, though I’m thinking he’s a great candidate to have on the staff when Ron is inevitably fired in week 8 by the new owner.  Jay can take over as an interim, and then be re-installed as the rightful HC to serve as protector of the realm.  

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Number of Carries is essentially meaningless in regards to winning games. 

And really it also proves another point. If you want to stop the run game. Score a lot of points and teams will stop running the ball. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Guys like RR need to realize that the '85 Bears ain't coming back. Sure, we had the '00 Ravens and the '13 Seahawks, but neither was able to sustain that.

Bears couldn't sustain it either. 🐻

tumblr_po7kuzb7fH1v5y2oeo1_400.gif

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I couldn’t think of a less inspiring HC for a new era than Caldwell. 

He was sposidly in the running for the NC A&T job here. Don't know how seriously that is tho.

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/12/29/nc-at-football-coaching-search-has-interesting-mix-of-names/

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s true. I’v come to the conclusion the bad leadership, horrible staff hires, falling in love with less talented guys, running on first down 90% of the time we’re all due to temporary insanity and Jay got a raw deal.

We should immediately hire him as OC, though I’m thinking he’s a great candidate to have on the staff when Ron is inevitably fired in week 8 by the new owner.  Jay can take over as an interim, and then be re-installed as the rightful HC to serve as protector of the realm.  

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 4.25.31 PM.png

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Number of Carries is essentially meaningless in regards to winning games. 

And really it also proves another point. If you want to stop the run game. Score a lot of points and teams will stop running the ball. 

I've always thought that too...never understood why so many fans used to say the 'Skins were 95-0 when Riggins rushed 30+ times. They didn't win BECAUSE Riggins ran 30+ times, it's because they already scored enough points and were shortening the game by running.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ohh please please PLEASEEEEE

Besides the entertainment value man does this team need a PR jolt like that.  Lions were dead last in attendance the previous season -- pre Hard Knocks.   Sold out game 1 post hard knocks.  Attendance still near the bottom but not the bottom anymore, that's us now.  Attendance went from about 52,000 to about 62,000 a game.

Outside of getting PR for scandals, this franchise is nationally irrelevant -- no one cares.  I recall a few years ago, GMF referencing some fans complaints about them over emphasizing some teams on their show and one of the panelists said hey we can talk about the Redskins or the Titans but who would give a crap, we talk about teams people care about.  Or something like that. 

This team is about as nonsexy as it gets.  Not that Hard Knocks alone changes it but some national attention for a change would be great, especially with what I assume is a new owner.

Been going to Disney on and off for 20 plus years, its interesting because so many wear team jerseys there.  Over the years we've gone from having major presence to now i am often the only dude I spot at the park wearing a Washington jersey.  RG3 was the last peak.    This team isn't just a has been flagship franchise -- its deeper than that -- hardly anyone pays attention to this team any more.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1