Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Dan from what I recall typically does show up to camp eventually.  Be interesting of this scares him away.  I guess he just has to wait through the end of the month until Congress goes to recess.

\

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform took the next step Monday in preparing to potentially hear testimony from Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder this week, but it remains unclear whether a compromise will be reached to resolve the disagreement over the terms of such an interview.

After six weeks of negotiations, lawyers for the committee and Snyder agreed on July 28 as the day Snyder will be interviewed about the preliminary findings of its nine-month investigation into allegations of widespread sexual harassment in the NFL team’s workplace.

As a procedural matter, the committee is required to post notice of a deposition three days in advance. Committee Chairwoman Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) took that step late Monday, filing with the Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives a

As of late Monday, a standoff continued over the terms of that interview after Snyder’s lawyer, Karen Patton Seymour, refused to be served with the subpoena issued by Maloney to compel Snyder to provide a deposition under oath.

In a July 13 letter to Maloney, Seymour argued that the committee had “no valid basis” for issuing a subpoena and offered Snyder’s voluntary testimony instead.

There is a significant difference between congressional testimony offered voluntarily and that offered under a sworn deposition. If Snyder’s testimony is voluntary, he could choose which questions he would answer. Under a subpoena, he would be placed under oath and not have that latitude unless he cited a Constitutionally protected privilege for each specific question.

Seymour, Snyder’s lawyer, repeatedly has cited concerns about fairness and due process, along with scheduling conflicts, as reasons for Snyder’s unwillingness to appear before the committee without numerous accommodations. Snyder declined an invitation to face questions voluntarily during the committee’s June 22 public hearing on Capitol Hill. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell testified remotely, and under oath, at that hearing.

• Thanks 1

Does Snyder still need to plead the 5th if he's voluntarily giving a deposition? It's been stated many times that if he is constantly pleading the 5th (refusing to answer) while giving this testimony then it will be viewed that he is hiding a lot and be negative for him.

If its voluntary, Dan can keep using NDA reasons for not answering questions.  And I get the Congressional desire to prohibit Dan from using that as a crutch.  But Dan is so awkward and apparently phobic about public speaking that they perhaps shouldn't look at Dan as an ordinary subject.  Dan's body language, tone, etc might be enough for the testimony to come off like a disaster anyway.  I'd play out the script the way Dan wants it.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He….he DID know who the owner is, right? When he agreed to work here? he should’ve thought about how all the off field issues would make his job harder to do before he said yes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Name change.  Sexism-cultural stuff.  Congressional investigation.  All blew up after he got here.  

Dan was known as a sleaze ball before hand, no doubt, but the whole sexism-FO blow up-congressional investigation was somewhat novel.  So it ramped up Dan's dysfunction from bad to an epic level bad.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

You will never get the fanbase back as long as your boss is Dan Snyder. Best you can do is create a new fanbase. Good luck, as more than likely your gone either after this year or next.

As for Dan, if he’s running out the clock; he’ll be hiding all season. We might have a shot then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He….he DID know who the owner is, right? When he agreed to work here? he should’ve thought about how all the off field issues would make his job harder to do before he said yes 🤷🏻‍♂️

I believe RR is a good man and deserves better.  But like you I realized that he knew (or should have known) exactly who Dan Snyder was and he still got in bed with him.  So I really don't have much sympathy for what he is going through now.  

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I believe RR is a good man and deserves better.  But like you I realized that he knew (or should have known) exactly who Dan Snyder was and he still got in bed with him.  So I really don't have much sympathy for what he is going through now.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/joe-gibbs-sold-ron-rivera-on-the-redskins-and-dan-snyder-no-one-sells-them-harder/2020/01/21/d2b584d6-3c80-11ea-8872-5df698785a4e_story.html

To be entirely fair to RR here Gibbs is the one that sold RR on Dan and coming here. Also at the time RR took the job the team had not committed to the name change nor had the initial WP story hit yet. If the last two things were already in motion id be willing to bet RR likely doesn't take the job. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Name change.  Sexism-cultural stuff.  Congressional investigation.  All blew up after he got here.  

Rivera was all about the name change.

But now he says he wants the fans back.

Can't have it both ways broski. Might want to start producing additional Lombardi's before you start spewing that type of nonsense.

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Can't have it both ways broski. Might want to start producing additional Lombardi's before you start spewing that type of nonsense.

I was responding to the idea of Ron knew exactly what he was inheriting with Dan's dyfunction.  My response was even by Dan's standards the dysfunction has been ramped up in ways that beat old school Dan.  Ron has IMO even more on his plate than the standard coach has had here -- trying to think of who would be the runner up, maybe Zorn with the bingo caller, etc?   Lot of turmoil and change.  By some accounts, Gibbs helped convinced Ron that Dan is fine to work with.  I love Gibbs but he oddly is Dan's biggest, maybe only cheerleader among any lumunaries tied to the team. 

I didn't say Ron was against the name change.    As far as him wanting fans back, I get it.   I would too in his shoes.  But I don't think he gets (tough for him to get it because he hasn't been through the whole Dan era, he just experienced a snippet of it so far) how much fans have endured under Dan where winning fans back isn't so easy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 12:59 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree with this point and said as much earlier.

But for me, I gather those who take the losses the hardest don’t have the last name Snyder.  The coaches and players that put in all the work, with the deck stacked against them, are going to feel the pain of losses to an extent much greater than Snyder.

Sure, we’ve heard all the “he’s grumpy after losses” stuff in the past but at this point he’s got to be immune.  Anymore it really feels like the only reason he still cares to own this team is because without it he’s the same dork that got thrown in a locker 40 years ago, just richer.  

I do understand not wanting to see his behavior rewarded with winning seasons though.  My relationship with this franchise is so fractured, I feel differently about it by the hour it seems.  I can’t help but feel for the guys trying to make change, but in the event they do- Snyder gets to reap the rewards he doesn’t deserve.  

Sure...and I don't walk around 6 days per week in the fall hoping bad things happen to everyone associated with the Washington NFL franchise on the 7th day. I don't think about it much anymore, sadly. I'm just telling you that when the games pop up on RedZone now, my emotions have now flipped to where I am hoping that they are the team giving up (not scoring) the points in the highlights. It's not even a conscious spiteful effort to punish Dan Snyder. It just is. 

I don't really have any ill-will toward the players or coaches...they mostly seem like a pretty good group of guys. I just don't like the team anymore. And the best I can figure it is that it's got to be due to the fact that the owner has ruined what has a pure and wonderful aspect of my youth and adolescence with his perversion and predatory behavior.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But like you I realized that he knew (or should have known) exactly who Dan Snyder was and he still got in bed with him.  So I really don't have much sympathy for what he is going through now.  

This is overblown - sure, Dan has a reputation for being a bad owner - but all the sexual harassments stuff came about after Ron had already been sold by Gibbs to take the job here.  I can't blame Ron for doing his due diligence in speaking with Gibbs and accepting the job here.  It takes guts to take this job - knowing what he already knew coming in.  But let's not pretend like he had any idea that things would escalate to the sexual harassments/congressional hearings level they are at now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I don’t see any conflict between these two things, are you somehow of the opinion that if Rivera hadn’t tried to put a good face on the name change as the new HC, it magically wouldn’t have happened? His thoughts on it didn’t matter. Saying the dude supported the name change he had no real say in, so he can’t complain there are no fans, makes no sense. Feels petty and spiteful. 

Your point about needing to win to gain fans back/new fans is absolutely correct. Just has nothing to do with Rivera specifically supporting the new name. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t see any conflict between these two things, are you somehow of the opinion that if Rivera hadn’t tried to put a good face on the name change as the new HC, it magically wouldn’t have happened? His thoughts on it didn’t matter. Saying the dude supported the name change he had no real say in, so he can’t complain there are no fans, makes no sense. Feels petty and spiteful. 

Your point about needing to win to gain fans back/new fans is absolutely correct. Just has nothing to do with Rivera specifically supporting the new name. 

A lot of fans who were teetering completely left because of the name change. Some, like me, are just ambivalent toward the team now. Frankly, I have more fun here talking with people than I do watching the team, win or lose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Just has nothing to do with Rivera specifically supporting the new name. 

I honestly think it's just the Snyder effect on fans.  A lot of folks can't help but saddle the folks employed by this organization with blame for things out of their control.  That or expect them to perform miracles and when they don't - they're complete and utter trash.  Personally, I can't help but have sympathy for most of the folks that have tried and failed to make things better here.  

• Like 1

Just now, ntotoro said:

A lot of fans who were teetering completely left because of the name change. Some, like me, are just ambivalent toward the team now. Frankly, I have more fun here talking with people than I do watching the team, win or lose.

Sure. Has nothing to do with Rivera as the HC wanting to win fans back. The name change was happening with or without him. That’s what I was responding to.

• Like 1

Just now, Conn said:

Sure. Has nothing to do with Rivera as the HC wanting to win fans back. The name change was happening with or without him. That’s what I was responding to.

Gotcha. Just thinking that, win or lose, a lot of them ain't coming back and the name change made it easier to let go.

11 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Gotcha. Just thinking that, win or lose, a lot of them ain't coming back and the name change made it easier to let go.

Definitely agree. I wish I had been able to

mentally reason such a “last straw” situation for myself but alas, here we are 

• Like 1