Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/covid-19-closes-rappahannock-elementary-school-quarantines-dozens-in-fauquier/article_4066d318-ff67-11eb-9017-7b7cdf51f60e.html

fauquier has 244 students in quarantine at home now. 1 week in. 

there’s several new positive tests reported today that’s quarantine numbers won’t hit the books until contact tracing is complete. 

we had 0 cases of in-school transmission last year at my child’s school. While I didn’t pay much attention to the rest, the county wide numbers were low. 

these people are ruining these children’s education and they’re at putting their life in danger. 

under 12 doesn’t even have the choice to get the vaccine yet

and many of these children have even younger siblings at home. 

**** you anti-mask people. Your ignorance knows no bounds. I’m so sick of you. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/covid-19-closes-rappahannock-elementary-school-quarantines-dozens-in-fauquier/article_4066d318-ff67-11eb-9017-7b7cdf51f60e.html

fauquier has 244 students in quarantine at home now. 1 week in. 

there’s several new positive tests reported today that’s quarantine numbers won’t hit the books until contact tracing is complete. 

we had 0 cases of in-school transmission last year at my child’s school. While I didn’t pay much attention to the rest, the county wide numbers were low. 

these people are ruining these children’s education and they’re at putting their life in danger. 

under 12 doesn’t even have the choice to get the vaccine yet

and many of these children have even younger siblings at home. 

**** you anti-mask people. Your ignorance knows no bounds. I’m so sick of you. 

I’m missing where 244 students are quarantining.  From your link I see 47 plus 4 cases.  And I believe the link that @Bearrock posted yesterday said that 7 students in the system have it.  Are there more confirmed cases with Fauquier that aren’t reported here? 

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m missing where 244 students are quarantining.  From your link I see 47 plus 4 cases.  And I believe the link that @Bearrock posted yesterday said that 7 students in the system have it.  Are there more confirmed cases with Fauquier that aren’t reported here? 

Looks like the latest update from the superintendent

https://www.fauquiernow.com/fauquier_news/article/244-county-school-students-quarantined-as-of-tuesday

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’m missing where 244 students are quarantining

244 is the number the super intendant released on his video today. It’s not in that link. It’s additional information. 

I’m fact everything I posted is additional information to that link 

Thank you @bearrock 😂 

• Thumb up 1

“Because if our goal, again, is to keep kids safe and in schools, we have to do whatever we need to do to make that happen. So I’m asking for your help. And here it goes. First, whenever possible, please have your child wear a mask, please.”

seriously. This is the level of ridiculousness that has to be catered to

pretty please with a cherry on top

How are all these schools dealing with the school days missed due to quarantines?  For my kids the school is having them keep the chromebooks they were issued for last year so if they have to distance learn for a week or so they are equipped, assuming nothing serious happensssssss with the positive diagnosis in the mean time. 

23 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

How are all these schools dealing with the school days missed due to quarantines?  For my kids the school is having them keep the chromebooks they were issued for last year so if they have to distance learn for a week or so they are equipped, assuming nothing serious happensssssss with the positive diagnosis in the mean time. 

They are not giving out laptops for K-2.  They’ll just get packets.  They are banking on not quarantining others.  With required masking, they believe they can avoid it.  Lunch is the tricky part.  At my oldest’s elementary school, they’ll eat in the cafeteria.  But at desks, not tables.  Not sure if those will be six feet apart or not.

To Get Around Governor's Order, Texas School District Adds Masks to Dress Code

A small Texas school district has made facial coverings part of its dress code, in a bid to get around Gov. Greg Abbott's executive order banning mask mandates.

The board of the Paris Independent School District, which has about 4,000 students, said in a statement Tuesday that the governor's order does not usurp its ability to manage schools.

"The Board believes the dress code can be used to mitigate communicable health issues, and therefore has amended the PISD dress code to protect our students and employees," the district said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Biden says his administration will take on GOP governors blocking masks in schools

President Joe Biden announced Wednesday that he was directing the Education Department to use its legal authority against Republican governors who are trying to block local school officials from requiring students to wear masks to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Speaking at the White House, Biden said some politicians are trying to turn public safety measures into "political disputes for their own political gain" and warned that they are "setting a dangerous tone."

Biden said he had directed Education Secretary Miguel Cardona to wield his oversight authority and take legal action "if appropriate."

"We're not going to sit by as governors try to block and intimidate educators protecting our children," Biden said.

Click on the link for the full article

1 minute ago, tshile said:

33 confirmed positive cases in the school district as of this morning. 

And that’s not counting however many came in yesterday, or how many are still waiting on their test results. 

Or didn't get tested. How many people are getting tested, 5%?  

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Or didn't get tested. How many people are getting tested, 5%?  

Well, I’m not going to guess. 

I will say that only 15% of the student body had parents fill out this ridiculous mask exemption form (which the school board actually said was designed to make it so any parent could exempt their child for any reason they want - and that they could do this because the governors order was so open to interpretation)

if I had to guess I would have guessed it was at or over 50%. So, that obvious bias I have means I shouldn’t be making guesses on how many are testing….

I will also add that supposedly we have the highest vaccination rate in the entire state for the 12-18 age group

and supposedly the lowest transmission/case rate in the state

so it’s kind of hard to get a grip on this because all this information conflicts with what I would guess - so obvious I have some strong biases here. 

which, are driven by a lot of things, but one clear thing is that the school board meetings are likely only having the more extreme ends of the spectrum show up and speak…

• Like 2

I will also add my county was the first to open free public covid testing. To the point they had to have the sheriffs run traffic because people from all over Virginia were coming here to get tested

they eventually started requiring ID and making people out of our health district pay a pretty steep price for testing. This cut down on traffic immediately. It also allowed our health district, and our residents paying for this service that wasn’t yet available elsewhere (it was a donation-funded service from our more well off residents), from paying for a bunch of people outside the health district. 

so, we’re not completely ass-backwards ****ing morons out here. We’ve done a lot of good things and a lot of things right. 

but… we’re far from perfect. Lots to be desired

overall considering we’re a Trump county, we’re doing better than lots of areas. Even our liberal NOVA friends in some areas

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is the kids, staff, or a mix?  Or do you know?

Both. They have a public dashboard that breaks it down by current cases and total cases. 

and each of those has a breakdown for each school - which each of those breaks it down by students vs staff

5 of the confirmed cases are staff. Rest are students. 

staff includes everyone. Not just teachers. 

it doesn’t break down community vs in-school transmissions. But, they do tend to reveal that data at the school board meetings (as it’s part of the “these mitigation strategies obviously work” discussion)

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

In a pandemic? Why?

I'd argue that saying don't do things like above HURT the arguement to wear masks and get the vaccine.

Why?  Because we are (Rightfully) saying "FOLLOW THE SCIENCE! FOLLOW THE STUDIES!  I dont care what your GUT says -Science, studies, experts know more then your gut"

The science says covid is not found in water, is not spread from surfaces, and is killed by UV rays. So -besides the fact that in General studies have found water fountains to be safe (https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/water.html) we also need to look at the entire picture. UNC requires vaccination or weekly testing of all students, requires masks on campus, and has a water fountain outside. 

These kids doing this has a lower risk then them all being in the dorms together.  

IMO the way we win this is to say "We will follow the science" and then follow it.