Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

Fairfax county slowly crept up into the low thirties by end of last week.  They are at 60+ yesterday.  Everyday, vast majority has been elementary schools and overwhelming ratio of cases are students, not staff.  It will be telling to see if yesterday was just a Monday spike or a growing trend.  

Really feel like FCPS dropped the ball by treating ES the same as HS/MS.  Until under 12 can be fully vaccinated, they should've been much more aggressive about weekly testing and mitigation measures in elementary schools.

And I really hope morons like Chap Petersen gets primaried out or something.  The state legislature had no business mandating that localities offer full 5 day in person learning in spring without knowing what the situation was going to be like in the fall.

Edited by bearrock

My son got out of school at 3:50pm yesterday.

At 6:12pm we received an email with this in it.

This letter is to inform you that we were notified that an individual who was last present at [sons school] on August 30th that tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19) on August 30th. Following Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) guidelines, we notified individuals who were known to have close contact with this individual and have advised them to quarantine, per CDC guidelines.

Per current DHHS guidance and our contact tracing process, unless you are notified directly, your child does not need to get tested or quarantine as they were not in close contact with the person who tested positive for COVID-19. Please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/appendix.html#contact for additional information on how the CDC, MCPS and DHHS, defines and identifies close contacts.

So yeah, that was quick lol.  Thankfully we did not get another call.  I also have no clue how the hell they knew this and tested this person so quickly.  I'm assuming the dumbass parents knew prior and sent him anyways.

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

Fairfax county slowly crept up into the low thirties by end of last week.  They are at 60+ yesterday.  Everyday, vast majority has been elementary schools and overwhelming ratio of cases are students, not staff.  It will be telling to see if yesterday was just a Monday spike or a growing trend.  

Really feel like FCPS dropped the ball by treating ES the same as HS/MS.  Until under 12 can be fully vaccinated, they should've been much more aggressive about weekly testing and mitigation measures in elementary schools.

And I really hope morons like Chap Petersen gets primaried out or something.  The state legislature had no business mandating that localities offer full 5 day in person learning in spring without knowing what the situation was going to be like in the fall.

Where do you go to get that information?

Pennsylvania To Issue Mask Mandate For K-12 Schools, Officials Say

Masks will be required in all Pennsylvania K-12 schools, Gov. Tom Wolf was set to announce Tuesday, reversing course amid a statewide COVID-19 resurgence that is filling hospital beds just as students return to class.

The Department of Health order will take effect Tuesday, Sept. 7 — the day after Labor Day — and will require students, teachers and staff to wear masks when inside, according to two people briefed on the plan. The people were not authorized to release details ahead of an official announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The order will not apply to student athletes while they’re playing, the people said. One of the people said the masking order will apply to private as well as public schools and will also apply to child care facilities.

Wolf and administration officials were scheduled to hold a news conference on COVID-19 and the schools at 2 p.m. Tuesday. 

Click on the link for the full article

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Where do you go to get that information?

https://www.fcps.edu/return-school/fcps-confirmed-covid-19-case-reporting

They trickle in information through the day, but most of the numbers seem to get reported the following day (for example, it was like 2 for yesterday late into the evening and then jumped to 60 by the time I checked again in the morning)

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

We had one staff member and one student at our kid’s school test positive last week. They didn’t notify us of close contact with our kids so I’m not really worried about it.

As long as both people were masked, they do not consider it a close contact even if kids sat next to each other all day.  Seems like all day in a dental mask is about the same as 15 minutes without mask, but maybe the spacing out of the viral load is significant.

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

https://www.fcps.edu/return-school/fcps-confirmed-covid-19-case-reporting

They trickle in information through the day, but most of the numbers seem to get reported the following day (for example, it was like 2 for yesterday late into the evening and then jumped to 60 by the time I checked again in the morning)

As long as both people were masked, they do not consider it a close contact even if kids sat next to each other all day.  Seems like all day in a dental mask is about the same as 15 minutes without mask, but maybe the spacing out of the viral load is significant.

Thanks.  I found that site since I asked.  I found one case at my daughter’s school.  We didn’t receive a notice like they said they would.  I reached out to the administration to see why.  One reason could be that the child did not attend class last week.

53 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Thanks.  I found that site since I asked.  I found one case at my daughter’s school.  We didn’t receive a notice like they said they would.  I reached out to the administration to see why.  One reason could be that the child did not attend class last week.

Bit of an update.  I haven’t heard directly from the admin yet, but we did receive a notice that there are 2 cases, but the site indicates 1 case (since school started).

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Bit of an update.  I haven’t heard directly from the admin yet, but we did receive a notice that there are 2 cases, but the site indicates 1 case (since school started).

Normally I would react with a like, but it felt a little weird liking a post sharing news about covid positive cases at a poster child's school, so wanted to say thanks separately and appreciate the update.  Hopefully everyone at your daughter's school is okay and the positive cases ends at 2. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bearrock said:

Normally I would react with a like, but it felt a little weird liking a post sharing news about covid positive cases at a poster child's school, so wanted to say thanks separately and appreciate the update.  Hopefully everyone at your daughter's school is okay and the positive cases ends at 2. 

The admin got back to me.  As I suspected, the first reported case was from a child who goes to the school but did not attend during the infectious period.  Said that the reporting of that case was a mistake.  I wonder how many in the first week of school fit that description.  I expect the numbers to grow throughout the year, but what I’m looking for are clusters in particular schools that may show an outbreak within the school.  I do think that they are doing an excellent job keeping things open and safe as possible.

I dove into the data, and man, there are a **** ton of schools in Fairfax County.  So while the numbers go up, the counts in the school are relatively low.  The highest of any school is 10 out of a population of around 800.  Half the schools that have reported any cases have only reported 1.

40 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The admin got back to me.  As I suspected, the first reported case was from a child who goes to the school but did not attend during the infectious period.  Said that the reporting of that case was a mistake.  I wonder how many in the first week of school fit that description.  I expect the numbers to grow throughout the year, but what I’m looking for are clusters in particular schools that may show an outbreak within the school.  I do think that they are doing an excellent job keeping things open and safe as possible.

I dove into the data, and man, there are a **** ton of schools in Fairfax County.  So while the numbers go up, the counts in the school are relatively low.  The highest of any school is 10 out of a population of around 800.  Half the schools that have reported any cases have only reported 1.

If the numbers are relatively accurate (somewhat of an if at the moment in my view), I think these cases are pretty solid argument that kids are getting covid in the community or at home, but probably not transmitting it in anywhere near meaningful numbers within the school system.  Like you said, we see blips here and there, but not a situation where school X goes from 1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, 5 on day 3, etc.

There are two overarching concerns I have on this.  I think the current definition of close contact in FCPS is so narrowly defined, we could theoretically see a lot of unknown asymptomatic spread in between two blips who test due to symptomatic covid in a school and never know.  

The second is that as we don't have periodic blanket or sampling testing in schools, we are relying on the honor system of parents to get their kids tested and also report to the system.  Anecdotal posts online in parents' forums and social media and our general understanding of human behavior across a wide swath of people would almost certainly indicate there will be parents who won't test symptomatic kids and who won't report their kids' test to the school (though I would hope the testing facilities have some kind of mandatory reporting system in place).  But all that leads to the thought that the numbers are almost certainly underreported.  Just not sure by how much.

FWIW, Tuesday's numbers are better than Monday's, so there seems to be a Monday spike.  But Tuesday is still worst than last week.  And that's likely to be the case for at least the next few weeks I think.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, GoSkinsGo said:

Is there a chance, in the future, that unvaccinated individuals can be held legally liable for cost of treatments if they are shown to be the primary spreader?

Or, if they cause individuals to miss work due to quarantine?

That sounds horrible.  Look, I get it, "wanting to be unvaccinated = stupid", but damn, talk about ripping someone's spine out their asshole there.

Stick with mandates, we right around the corner from having to have it to even go to school like a lot of other vaccines that we don't even talk about.

7 hours ago, bearrock said:

If the numbers are relatively accurate (somewhat of an if at the moment in my view), I think these cases are pretty solid argument that kids are getting covid in the community or at home, but probably not transmitting it in anywhere near meaningful numbers within the school system

My understanding is that our district doesn’t report in-school transmission officially like they do the daily covid numbers. But every now and then it gets brought up at a school board meetings. Kids school went in person last November. 0 cases of in-school transmission. 

probably won’t have meaningful set of data for a few months. 

Florida elementary school locked down after parent’s fit over masks

Florida is reporting its deadliest peak in daily death rates since the start of the pandemic, surpassing previous coronavirus surges in the state, according to federal data published Thursday.

Data provided by the state to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals that at least eight days in August produced more daily deaths than during the last peak of the pandemic in August 2020. The typical lag times in the reporting of deaths means the true toll of the pandemic can take weeks to emerge. 

The data became available on Thursday after the state reported to the CDC more than 1,338 new deaths that occurred over several days or weeks.

The figures show the seven-day average in daily deaths reached 244 last month, as compared with their highest previous rate of 227 in August 2020. The numbers for mid- to late August of this year could still rise as the Florida Department of Health reports more data to the federal government.

Overall, 45,909 people have died in Florida, according to the CDC numbers.

The state has 87% of its seniors vaccinated and has raised its vaccination rate from 61% to 68% in the past month.

Hospitalizations hit record highs last month, with hospitals reporting census of over 7,000 more COVID-19 patients than they had in the previous peak. Both hospitalizations and new cases leveled off and began dropping in the past week.

Last week the state reported infections among children and teenagers had increased by 28% over the week before with some children's hospitals noticing an uptick in admissions as well in the first few weeks back at school.

A dozen of the Florida’s 67 districts, representing about half of the state’s 2.8 million public school students, have defied Gov. Ron DeSantis’ executive order barring schools from requiring masks over parent objections. A judge last week ruled that DeSantis did not have the authority to issue the order. The DeSantis administration filed a notice of appeal Thursday.

On Tuesday, an elementary school in Sarasota was placed on a temporary, limited lockdown after a parent threatened to leave his job and confront an assistant principal for telling his children they couldn't come to school without being masked. The Sarasota County is among the school districts requiring masks.

Christopher Kivlin was met by police officers outside Ashton Elementary School. No charges were filed but he was ordered not to come back to the school without calling first and getting permission.

Click on the link for the full article