Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, tshile said:

33 confirmed positive cases in the school district as of this morning. 

And that’s not counting however many came in yesterday, or how many are still waiting on their test results. 

Out of curiosity, how big is the school?

School called. 6 year old is sick with headache and stomach. We’re at a covid testing center now. 

I’m getting tested too. I’m vaccinated. 

wish him luck. 

50 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Out of curiosity, how big is the school?

I don’t know his school numbers. But I believe there are ~11,000 kids enrolled in the public school system here. 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, tshile said:

School called. 6 year old is sick with headache and stomach. We’re at a covid testing center now. 

wish him luck. 

I don’t know his school numbers. But I believe there are ~11,000 kids enrolled in the public school system here. 

Ugh...best of luck.

I was just curious. My oldest will be going to a school building with ~2400 kids, so if I heard 32 cases I'd be ugh, but not freaking because of the percentages. If it was at my youngest daughters building, I'd be much more worries since alot less in that one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

We’re at a covid testing center now. 

Just out of curiosity -Why the testing center?  There are at home tests now.  Is a PCR test required or just what you want? Just asking.  

37 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Just out of curiosity -Why the testing center?  There are at home tests now.  Is a PCR test required or just what you want? Just asking.  

We have a really good testing center. 

We don’t have home kits

doing rapid because wife said to and I’m convinced this is noro virus and not covid - few reasons I think that, symptoms overlap. I’m aware rapid isn’t great and has false negatives but it’s what she said to do.

my wife is pretty high up in healthcare and dealing with covid (was meeting weekly with cdc for a while at the start) so, I kinda just shut up and let her drive. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Both tests negative. I honestly think it’s norovirus. Makes more sense. He wears a mask everywhere. He just started school. Norovirus outbreaks are in the local news… just lines up easier than covid. 

so, monitoring. Think we’re good though. Appreciate the good thoughts 

10 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I have found this mantra works for alot of things with my wife... ;)

unless it’s an actual car in which case hell no

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

"In another instance, a parent made the unwise decision to physically remove the mask from the teacher and that's not acceptable," he said. "The teacher felt extremely uncomfortable. A principal in the building dealt with the situation. She luckily was close."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/18/us/superintendent-texas-teachers-parents-masks-trnd/index.html

Im constantly amazed by what it takes to throw a kid out of a particular school in the US.  I can’t imagining ever forcing this teacher to interact with a parent that ripped her mask off again.  I can’t imagine trusting a teacher with a kid when she has cause to dislike that child’s family.  The moment a parent puts hands on a teacher, they should be informed of other educational options for their kid and kissed good bye.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

my wife is pretty high up in healthcare and dealing with covid (was meeting weekly with cdc for a while at the start) so, I kinda just shut up and let her drive. 

A wise man once told his wife ... nothing. Because he was a wise man. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 more cases today. Up to 38. 

I realize in a district of just over 11,200 students that’s not much. 

but we have contact tracing that quarantines other students. When we had 4 cases at one school in a day, 44 students were quarantined the next day. When we had 11 cases 244 total students were quarantined.  Haven’t heard an updated quarantine number in a few days. 

Also, one case did cause 60 students to be quarantined, until it was revealed some were wearing masks, and as such only 30 students were quarantined. 

the number of cases isn’t all that matters. I wish they’d publish the quarantine numbers. Cause that’s the number of students who’s educational situation is suffering. 

38 positive cases out of 11,200 students way undersells what’s going on. There are hundreds of kids impacted so far. 

it’s day 8. 

Edited by tshile

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

but we have contact tracing that quarantines other students. When we had 4 cases at one school in a day, 44 students were quarantined the next day. When we had 11 cases 244 total students were quarantined.  Haven’t heard an updated quarantine number in a few days. 

Also, one case did cause 60 students to be quarantined, until it was revealed some were wearing masks, and as such only 30 students were quarantined. 

the number of cases isn’t all that matters. I wish they’d publish the quarantine numbers. Cause that’s the number of students who’s educational situation is suffering. 

38 positive cases out of 11,200 students way undersells what’s going on. There are hundreds of kids impacted so far. 

it’s day 8. 

Our ISD’s plan is if you have to quarantine, you won’t receive instruction.  That’s it.  We started back today… going to get interesting real quick.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s day 8. 

Have they said, or do they know, whether or not these cases were passed outside of school?  Is there any indication that kids are getting sick at school.

27 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Have they said, or do they know, whether or not these cases were passed outside of school?  Is there any indication that kids are getting sick at school.

It has not been said. I’m going to guess that since we’re 8 days in that number is low or 0. 

people just shoved in vacations this year cause they couldn’t do anything last year. 

I can tell you last year we went back to part time school in November (student body split  in half, each group goes 2 days a week) with a mask mandate, ‘full time’ 4 days a week for all that wanted in January,  and we had 0 case of in-school transmission at his school. 

i didn’t follow county wide. My life was a mess. I had no capacity to follow that at that time. 

Edited by tshile

To look on the bright side, at least you don't live in Mississippi:

Over 20,000 Mississippi students in Covid quarantine after first week of school

More than 20,000 students in Mississippi are in quarantine from exposure to the coronavirus, accounting for about 5 percent of the state's public school pupils, according to state data.

As infection rates increase throughout the country because of the highly transmissible delta variant of the coronavirus, the state has been hit particularly hard since students returned to classes Aug. 9.

There were 20,334 students in quarantine after the first week of school, which ended Friday, according to data from the State Health Department.

Click on the link for the full article

The saga of being a parent of a sick school child during covid continues:

woke up way worse. Fever. Super nasty cough. 

it honestly lines up with RSV perfectly, including the staggered/progression of symptoms part. So while it’s absolutely possible the rapid covid test was a false negative (whole house got covid from a family member we didn’t know was anti-mask back in October, and I never tested positive in a rapid…) things really just line up for RSV. Should know later today. 

fun fun fun 

• Sad 3

America's patchwork back-to-school plan

Conflicting policies, fiery political debates and the continued spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19 are sowing chaos and uncertainty into the back-to-school season.

Why it matters: This will be the third school year in a row with COVID-related disruptions. Many students have already suffered severe learning loss, and the gap between students could grow even wider, thanks to disparities in vaccinations and rising case counts.

What they're saying: "The outlook right now is too similar to what we went through last year," Dan Domenech, executive director of the American Association of School Administrators, tells Axios' Erica Pandey.

"It's sad because it's so controllable," he says. "We know what works. We can get our kids in school in person if we can get the older ones vaccinated and the younger ones masked."

What's happening: Mask mandates for students aren't universal, but they're pretty common. Florida, Arizona, Texas and South Carolina are among the states that have banned mask mandates, though some districts are defying those orders.

And one Florida district that didn't require masks has already had to quarantine 440 students — just two days into the school year.

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, tshile said:

The saga of being a parent of a sick school child during covid continues:

woke up way worse. Fever. Super nasty cough. 

it honestly lines up with RSV perfectly, including the staggered/progression of symptoms part. So while it’s absolutely possible the rapid covid test was a false negative (whole house got covid from a family member we didn’t know was anti-mask back in October, and I never tested positive in a rapid…) things really just line up for RSV. Should know later today. 

fun fun fun 

My friend who has a 1 year old daughter came to our son's birthday party 2 Sundays ago and he told me this week she had been sick and it was confirmed to be RSV.  She got a covid test and so did him and his wife and they all tested negative.  

If the test was negative for covid and sounds like it's RSV, I'd wager it is and you all will be just fine.

Doctor says it’s not RSV. Apparently there isn’t a test for it? 🤷‍♂️ 

doctor said she doesn’t think its covid either but did a pcr test because he’s in school and unfortunately she feels the need to be better safe than sorry since he’s around so many other kids and kids are so vulnerable right now. She’s confident its not covid 

flu, strep, or other respiratory virus are what she thinks. Strep test was done. 

unfortunately the flu test wasn’t done. You can only stick a large q til up a 6 year olds nose so many times before he makes it clear that he thinks you can go **** off somewhere else with it. 

she also highly doubts it’s the flu as they just aren’t seeing cases of it yet. 

SO MUCH FUN

Edited by tshile
  • Sad 1