Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Can anyone here kinda sketch out exactly what the Portland protests are trying to accomplish?  

Here in RVA we got the statues removed in about 5 weeks with minimal property damage, minimal tear gas and zero Federal “Trump to the rescue” bull****.

Has it devolved into vague, aimless anarchy that hijacking BLM like what Occupy did in 2016?  Or do they actually have clearly defined goals and a plan to get there?

Portland mayor tear gassed after speaking with protesters on presence of federal agents

Mayor Ted Wheeler was tear gassed in downtown Portland early Thursday morning, according to video and posts on Twitter from a New York Times journalist.

The video shows Wheeler, wearing goggles and a face mask amid a crowd of people, hold his nose and close his eyes in distress as a cloud of tear gas drifts by him.

"It stings. It's hard to breathe. I can tell you with 100% honesty I saw nothing that provoked this response," Wheeler said to the Times camera. "I'm not afraid but I am pissed off."

It's unknown at this time who is responsible for deploying the tear gas and there is nothing to indicate the mayor was targeted. Portland Police said they did not deploy any CS gas, a commonly used type of tear gas.

CNN has reached out to the mayor's office for additional comment.

The video appeared to come after Wheeler joined crowds to listen to protesters and answer their questions in response to violent clashes between demonstrators and federal forces, whose camouflage, troop-like uniforms and aggressive tactics have exacerbated the protests.

Click on the link for the full article and video

8 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Can anyone here kinda sketch out exactly what the Portland protests are trying to accomplish?  

Here in RVA we got the statues removed in about 5 weeks with minimal property damage, minimal tear gas and zero Federal “Trump to the rescue” bull****.

Has it devolved into vague, aimless anarchy that hijacking BLM like what Occupy did in 2016?  Or do they actually have clearly defined goals and a plan to get there?

There have been frequent protests in Portland for years, both from the right and the left (it seems to be a pretty unique city).  I think these particular protests started out being about the police, but have changed in recent weeks and then even more so in recent days after the Federal involvement.

Edited by visionary
  • Thanks 1

Who cares if it is or isn't.  Dumbasses have been going there for awhile now, affecting local businesses,  threatening people, etc, and nothing happened to them.

Pretty sure cops were even dapping them up, and checking out their firearms like giggly schoolgirls. 

Not the popular perspective here, and certainly not my favorite, but Chicago police have put a convincing bit of evidence together that a decent sized group of protesters showed up with a coordinated plans to turn a protest towards violence.  

We’ve also seen police attack peaceful protesters and instigate violence themselves.  Both of these instances deserve attention.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Not the popular perspective here, and certainly not my favorite, but Chicago police have put a convincing bit of evidence together that a decent sized group of protesters showed up with a coordinated plans to turn a protest towards violence.  

Heck, I'd expect it.  

There's folks out there who are looking for an excuse to riot.  Who are willing to travel, to get to one.  I'm thinking of the folks who show up at every G-8, for example.  

Those folks have got to look at these protests as great cover for them to do what they want to do.  Innocent unarmed people they can stand behind, and throw bricks at cops.  

It's gonna happen.