Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

88Comrade2000

So I have a 2010 Honda Insight as my commuter and it has about 145k miles on it. This morning the passenger side front window stopped responding to both the drive side master window control and the passenger side control. I checked the fuse inside the vehicle for that window (on the off chance it was that) but it was still good.

Any ideas price wise what I am looking at for a new regulator or relay or motor? I cannot do it myself because I'm a car idiot (and just plain idiot) so I'll be at the mercy of the repair shop...

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I have a 2010 Honda Insight as my commuter and it has about 145k miles on it. This morning the passenger side front window stopped responding to both the drive side master window control and the passenger side control. I checked the fuse inside the vehicle for that window (on the off chance it was that) but it was still good.

Any ideas price wise what I am looking at for a new regulator or relay or motor? I cannot do it myself because I'm a car idiot (and just plain idiot) so I'll be at the mercy of the repair shop...

Shouldnt be much more than a couple benjis.  

Check your local reputable salvage yard if you really wanna save a little dough on parts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Check your local reputable salvage yard if you really wanna save a little dough on parts.

Thanks. Fwiw I'm not even sure there is a local salvage yard anywhere close. But I'm not a fan of pick and pulls either since I'm car illiterate.  I'm guessing going to the Honda dealer is the worst idea, right? 😆

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 2

On 3/17/2024 at 2:58 PM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Local mechanic diagnosed the problem. Dead power window motor/regulator (they come together apparently). 

It's now a 14yo car bur tbh I hope to get another 5 or more out of it. Totally worth it to me to have a front window working again. 

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

DAL500010-scaled.webp

If I were rich, I might pre-order one of these...

DAL500017-scaled.webp

52 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Here's hoping that it won't be a woefully underpowered piece of **** like the original.

Anyway, the new Beyonce album is pretty good.

Delorean Alpha Specs

I love how they list the acceleration, not as 0-60, but as 0-88.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

*Tesla model Y battery. It takes up all of the space under the passenger compartment of the car. To manufacture it you need:
--12 tons of rock for Lithium (can also be extracted from sea water)
-- 5 tons of cobalt minerals (Most cobalt is made as a byproduct of processing copper and nickel ores. It is the most difficult and expensive material to obtain for a battery.)
-- 3 tons nickel ore
-- 12 tons of copper ore
You must move 250 tons of soil to obtain:
-- 26.5 pounds of Lithium
-- 30 pounds of nickel
-- 48.5 pounds of manganese
-- 15 pounds of cobalt
To manufacture the battery also requires:
-- 441 pounds of aluminum, steel and/or plastic
-- 112 pounds of graphite
The Caterpillar 994A is used to move the earth to obtain the minerals needed for this battery. The Caterpillar consumes 264 gallons of diesel in 12 hours.
The bulk of necessary minerals for manufacturing the batteries come from China or Africa. Much of the labor in Africa is done by children. When you buy an electric car, China profits most.
The 2021 Tesla Model Y OEM battery (the cheapest Tesla battery) is currently for sale on the Internet for $4,999 not including shipping or installation. The battery weighs 1,000 pounds (you can imagine the shipping cost). The cost of Tesla batteries are:
Model 3 -- $14,000+ (Car MSRP $38,990)
Model Y -- $5,000–$5,500 (Car MSRP $47,740)
Model S -- $13,000–$20,000 (Car MSRP $74,990)
Model X -- $13,000+ (Car MSRP $79,990)
It takes 7 years for an electric car to reach net-zero CO2. The life expectancy of the battery is 10 years (average). Only in the last 3 years do you start to reduce your carbon footprint, but then the batteries must be replaced and you lose all gains made.
And finally, my new friend, Michael, made some excellent points: I forgot to mention the amount of energy required to process the raw materials and the amount of energy used to haul these batteries to the U.S. sometimes back and forth a couple of times.
But by all means, get an electric car. Just don't sell me on how awesome you are for the environment. Or for human rights.

* I pasted this from something my brother shared with me on FB  YMMV
Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

Fwiw 10 years end of life is the low end. Everything I've read is that the batteries last 10-20 years..approximately up to 200k miles. 

I can only assume that Tesla and all other EV manufacturers are going to greatly improve battery life, replacement cost, and actual cost of creating the batteries moving forward. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Damn, your brother is some kind of super-genius.  Prolly mega wealthy too!

I think that he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time...so....there's that...

15 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw 10 years end of life is the low end. Everything I've read is that the batteries last 10-20 years..approximately up to 200k miles. 

I can only assume that Tesla and all other EV manufacturers are going to greatly improve battery life, replacement cost, and actual cost of creating the batteries moving forward. 

You would think.

One would also assume that there will be sufficient infrastructure to facilitate charging them before moving forward.   

Edited by Skinsfan1311

The MIT Climate portal has information with sources. The cost of battery manufacture will vary by source but in their worst case a VA driver doing average mileage would take 2.75 years of driving to absorb the lithium battery manufacturing cost and potentially about six months. 

A huge factor is how your car is charged. In a state with a high level of renewables and hydro, or nuclear, your footprint would be very different to coal-heavy WV (where you would be less carbon emitting by driving a hybrid than electric). And of course if you do all your charging at home from solar panels you are much lower carbon emitting than gas or hybrid vehicles.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Thumb up 1

Self-driving 18-wheelers being tested on North Texas roads

If the thought of an 18-wheeler heading down the road with no one behind the wheel scares you, then you're probably not going to like to hear this. 

Self-driving big rigs are already on the freeways of North Texas and very soon they won't have occupants at all. 

The small Ellis County town of Palmer seems an unlikely place for the home of what some call robo trucks. 

Aurora Innovation has spent the last three years in Texas testing self-driving, autonomous big rigs that its leader believes is the future of trucking. 

"I believe the world was born ready for a truck like this," said Ossa Fisher. president of Aurora, with 25 cameras and sensors that are calibrated every time they roll out along with four powerful antennas. 

CBS News Texas was allowed to ride on one of Aurora's test drives with two operators whose only job is to make sure the self-driving truck does its job. 

The licensed driver who is ready to grab the wheel says he has never had to during his test drives. 

"It would brake or slow down just like I would normally do," said LaCarro Boston, truck operator. 

The company says big rigs with completely empty cabs will be on Texas roads by the end of the year.

Aurora has had one minor crash involving an autonomous truck between Fort Worth and El Paso, but authorities determined it was caused by an out-of-control driver in another vehicle.

Aurora isn't quite as confident yet about self-driving in bad weather. 

"We're very confident in our ability to navigate in clear weather, misty weather, foggy weather, and that's how we are going to start," Fisher said. 

Computer driven trucks can haul for 22 hours straight, double the time humans are legally allowed to. 

Click on the link for the full article 

34 minutes ago, China said:

Computer driven trucks can haul for 22 hours straight, double the time humans are legally allowed to. 

Click on the link for the full article 

Not without refueling.

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Not without refueling.

Apparently most semi trucks have two fuel tanks which each can hold 110 gallons.  They get approximately 6 mpg which means they can go for about 1320 miles.  At 60 mph that would be exactly 22 hours before they needed refueling.  Likely they wouldn't average 60 mph with combined city and highway driving.  So if they averaged even 50 mph they could go for 26 hours before needing to refuel.

Link

2 hours ago, China said:

Apparently most semi trucks have two fuel tanks which each can hold 110 gallons.  They get approximately 6 mpg which means they can go for about 1320 miles.  At 60 mph that would be exactly 22 hours before they needed refueling.  Likely they wouldn't average 60 mph with combined city and highway driving.  So if they averaged even 50 mph they could go for 26 hours before needing to refuel.

Link

Most semi's hold 160 gallons total and the check fuel light comes on after about 120-130 but I guess they could get bigger tanks. And you don't get more time going slower you drive fewer miles but use about the same fuel. Trucks average 48mph. 120-130 gallons usually meant refueling after 700-800 miles or so. Some trucks get 8mph, others 4-5. All trucks get 2-4 Mpg in the mountains.

I wouldn't think these things are going to be safe any time soon.

Wonder what these trucks do when they get pulled into a weigh station or when a road or interstate is closed? I'd assume that they are just going on basic runs where somebody unloads the truck somewhere outside because how would the truck follow directions at a Walmart distribution center where they might tell you to do 1 of 50 different things or back up in a dollar general parking lot?

When a tire blows out or the brakes overheat randomly for no reason and stop working, what happens? Does it somehow know this and pull over and call a tow truck? Or does it just catch on fire on the interstate like a Tesla? What about those 100+ gallons of fuel in the fire lol.

Texas has virtually no obstructions over the road but in some places there are power lines that go over the road and occasionally caused trucks to lock up the brakes if the driver was in cruise control. Same with overpasses. For this reason I never could use my cruise control because I couldn't trust what the truck might do. I'm retired now but I was driving for a few years until 2 years ago. Current drivers say that it hasn't improved with their automated trucks and from what I've read these trucks can't even back up. What do they do when they get somewhere and 90% of trucks have to be backed up in a tight parking lot? I haven't even mentioned ice on the road or crazy Florida drivers in the rain. Some going 15 in the left lane, others passing at 70 in the right lane lol. Who does the 2 hour load checks?

Or about 1000 more situations I can think up.

Edited by SkinsFTW

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Most semi's hold 160 gallons total and the check fuel light comes on after about 120-130 but I guess they could get bigger tanks. And you don't get more time going slower you drive fewer miles but use about the same fuel. Trucks average 48mph. 120-130 gallons usually meant refueling after 700-800 miles or so. Some trucks get 8mph, others 4-5. All trucks get 2-4 Mpg in the mountains.

I wouldn't think these things are going to be safe any time soon.

Wonder what these trucks do when they get pulled into a weigh station or when a road or interstate is closed? I'd assume that they are just going on basic runs where somebody unloads the truck somewhere outside because how would the truck follow directions at a Walmart distribution center where they might tell you to do 1 of 50 different things or back up in a dollar general parking lot?

When a tire blows out or the brakes overheat randomly for no reason and stop working, what happens? Does it somehow know this and pull over and call a tow truck? Or does it just catch on fire on the interstate like a Tesla? What about those 100+ gallons of fuel in the fire lol.

Texas has virtually no obstructions over the road but in some places there are power lines that go over the road and occasionally caused trucks to lock up the brakes if the driver was in cruise control. Same with overpasses. For this reason I never could use my cruise control because I couldn't trust what the truck might do. I'm retired now but I was driving for a few years until 2 years ago. Current drivers say that it hasn't improved with their automated trucks and from what I've read these trucks can't even back up. What do they do when they get somewhere and 90% of trucks have to be backed up in a tight parking lot? I haven't even mentioned ice on the road or crazy Florida drivers in the rain. Some going 15 in the left lane, others passing at 70 in the right lane lol. Who does the 2 hour load checks?

Or about 1000 more situations I can think up.

I don't disagree with you about all of the potential issues such as a tire blowout that could (and would) occur.  The company themselves indicate that they don't trust the system to run properly in inclement weather.  So it would essentially rollout in the southwest, and probably be many years away from working properly in the northeast.