Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

88Comrade2000

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

This seems incredibly reasonable.

NC requires a yearly emissions and inspection plus a property tax on vehicles. I don't see why they couldn't just check the odometer and tax one accordingly. I get it doesn't account for out of state travel but it's a better idea than say the $.40 a gallon gas tax we currently use to fund roads n such here. 🤷‍♂️

Poor Judge Jennine doesn't know how to change a tire. Get AAA genius. .

We only have emissions testing here, places are everywhere and vary in cost. 

Last time I bought gas was July 2, at $3.05. 

It's hard for us older women to change a tire...I could do it fairly quickly 20 years ago.  My Geico policy (that was my husband's for 27 years) has roadside assistance that I've only used once about a decade ago between here and Savannah. 

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the resident grease monkeys:

09 Grand Cherokee 

4.7 V8

100k miles 

Have to top off coolant with ~1-1.5 pints every so often.  Hardly use it so not sure how to quantify time/mileage.  It isn’t a static thing though.  It’s after use.  Maybe after 1k miles, maybe.  Probably less.

Not making/milky oil or tranny fluid

not blowing white smoke out of the tailpipe

holds 11.5 psi on the pressure checker for an extended period.

thoughts?  Should I bump the pressure checker psi up?

US steps toward forcing recall of 52 million air bag inflators that can explode and hurl shrapnel

The U.S. government is taking a big step toward forcing a defiant Tennessee company to recall 52 million air bag inflators that could explode, hurl shrapnel and injure or kill people.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Tuesday said it has made an initial decision that the inflators made by ARC Automotive Inc., and under license by another company, are defective. The agency scheduled a public hearing for Oct. 5, a required step before deciding to seek a court-ordered recall.

In May the agency asked ARC to recall the inflators, which it says are responsible for at least seven injuries and two deaths in the U.S. and Canada since 2009. But ARC has refused to issue a full-scale recall, setting the stage for the possible court fight.

Messages were left Tuesday seeking comment from ARC. The company maintains that no safety defect exists, that NHTSA’s demand is based on a hypothesis rather than technical conclusions, and that the agency has no authority to order a parts manufacturer to announce recalls.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if anyone has any feedback on the VW ID.4. I'm going to take a test drive this weekend, I'm planning on making the switch to an electric car before the end of the year. I'm mainly comparing the VW or a Model 3. I've ridden the 3 a few times and will do a test drive next weekend to get a comparison. 

We currently have two VWs and had very positive experiences with our local dealer from purchase to service. I'm leery of the Tesla from a build quality and dealer support standpoint based on conversations I've had with owners and general internet information. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Apparently this isn't new.  From 2018:

Ford to refund 'engine fail' EcoBoost customers

Ford has offered to refund thousands of pounds to customers whose engines have failed, following a BBC investigation.

Hundreds of customers have said their cars with Ford EcoBoost engines have overheated, causing engine failure.

Others have reported their cars with 1.6-litre EcoBoost engines have burst into flames while they were driving.

Many 1.0-litre drivers had been told they had to pay for repairs, but Ford has now said it will cover the cost and refund customers who have already paid.

The car giant said in a statement safety was its number one priority.

Click on the link for the full article and video

The 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2023 (So Far)

25. Chevy Malibu (111,449 units sold)

24. Chrysler Pacifica (112,198 units sold)

23. Subaru Crosstrek (114,632 units sold)

22. Mazda CX-5 (115,855 units sold)

21. Subaru Outback (122,881 units sold)

20. Jeep Wrangler (126,551 units sold)

19. Ford Explorer (138,132 units sold)

18. Toyota Highlander (138,178 units sold)

17. Honda Civic (146,881 units sold)

16. Honda Accord (152,202 units sold)

15. Hyundai Tucson (153,180 units sold)

14. Chevy Equinox (154,142 units sold)

13. Toyota Corolla (165,693 units sold)

12. Tesla Model 3 (173,500 units sold, estimated)

11. Toyota Tacoma (179,681 units sold)

10. Jeep Grand Cherokee (182,871 units sold)

9. Nissan Rogue (211,091 units sold)

8. GMC Sierra (216,227 units sold)

7. Toyota Camry (217,975 units sold)

6. Honda CR-V (262,351 units sold)

5. Tesla Model Y (284,500 units sold, estimated)

4. Toyota RAV4 (302,831 units sold)

3. Ram Pickup (332,440 units sold)

2. Chevy Silverado (403,403 units sold)

1. Ford F-Series (573,370 units sold)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g43553191/bestselling-cars-2023/

Edited by Cooked Crack

Could Chinese Self-Driving Cars Go On A Programed Killing Spree In America? Some Lawmakers Think So

Several Chinese companies are legally testing autonomous cars in the U.S. but some members of Congress want to crack down on self-driving startups

You’re probably familiar with Waymo and Cruise, the two driverless ride-hailing companies who have recently been given a green light to expand their operations. But you might not be aware that there are 40 firms licensed to test autonomous cars in California, and that one quarter of those are from China.

The activities of companies like Pony.ai, Apollo, WeRide and AutoX are less well known because their tests are running on a smaller scale and they haven’t been involved in any high-profile crashes. But U.S. lawmakers have definitely noticed their presence and some members of Congress are concerned enough that they’re calling for these firms’ activities to be curtailed.

Some critics have expressed worries over the amount and type of data Chinese companies might be collecting, much like they’re unhappy with the presence of other Chinese firms such as TikTok, NBC News reports. Some of those objecting to the driverless startups are simply unhappy with China’s human rights records, while other actually believe fleets of robotaxis could be used against America if the country ever became engaged in armed conflict with China.

One former member of the Google self-driving car project that became Waymo said that a fleet of robotaxis could be “a potent weapon” capable of purposely crashing into and killing innocent people if the two nations ever came to blows.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...