Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JENNIFER KING FULL-YEAR COACHING INTERN

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

February 10, 2020

REDSKINS NAME JENNIFER KING FULL-YEAR COACHING INTERN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Jennifer King a full-year coaching intern. In her role, King will work with the offensive staff throughout the course of the offseason, training camp and regular season and will specifically assist Randy Jordan with the running backs.  

King comes to the Redskins having coached in the National Football League, the Alliance of American Football and in the college ranks.

“Jennifer is a bright young coach and will be a great addition to our staff,” said Head Coach Ron Rivera. “Her familiarity with my expectations as a coach and my firsthand knowledge of her work ethic and preparation were big factors in bringing her to the Redskins.”

King was most recently an offensive assistant with Dartmouth College. She primarily worked with the wide receivers and created defensive scouting reports and secondary specific scouting reports for the wide receivers. Dartmouth finished the 2019 season 9-1 and captured the Ivy League Championship. The team averaged 33.3 points per game and averaged 382.4 yards per game.

King interned for the Carolina Panthers during the offseason in 2018 and 2019. In 2018, she was an intern wide receivers coach and assisted Lance Taylor with on-field development drills and in position meetings. She assisted with the creation of scouting scheme cards for the opposing defense and charted practice and in-game player participation and defensive schemes. In 2019, she returned to the Panthers in the role of intern running backs coach and worked with the running backs in organized team activities, mandatory mini camp and training camp. She worked one-on-one with rookies on playbook proficiencies and individual skill development along with analyzing drill efficiency and drill concepts. She worked with the Panthers running backs, including Pro Bowl running back Christian McCaffrey. 

In between her two internships with the Panthers, King was an assistant wide receiver coach and special teams assistant for the Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football. The Hotshots were 5-3 and tied for first place in the AAF Western Conference before the league disbanded. At the time of the league being dissolved, the Hotshots ranked No. 2 in yards per game (343.9) and points per game (23.2).

King has participated in NFL coaching clinics from 2015-18 and also took part in the NFL Women’s Career in Football Forum in January of 2018. The forum was a highly selective two-day event which connected qualified female candidates for positions in football as coaches, officials, scouts and athletic trainers. 

King also has experience as a player. She was a seven-time All American quarterback and wide receiver for the Carolina Phoenix women’s tackle football team from 2006-17. In 2018 she played wide receiver and defensive back for the New York Sharks women’s tackle football team and captured the 2018 WFA National Championship. Most recently, King played wide receiver and safety in the District for the D.C. Divas women’s tackle football team in 2019.

King also has experience coaching women’s basketball. She was the Head Coach of Johnson & Wales University Charlotte from 2016-18. During King’s tenure the team had an 37-10 record and they captured the USCAA Division II National Championship in 2018. She was named the USCAA Division II National Coach of the Year in 2018. King also was an assistant coach on the Greensboro College women’s basketball staff from 2006-16. During King’s 10 years with the team, they went 136-54, won five conference titles and appeared in the NCAA tournament five times. 

King holds a masters of science in sports administration from Liberty University and holds a bachelor of science in sports management from Guilford College. She was a member of the Guilford College women’s basketball and softball team’s from 2002-06. 

KING FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2020:                           Full-Year Coaching Intern, Washington Redskins

2019:                           Offensive Assistant, Dartmouth College

2019:                           Intern Running Backs Coach, Carolina Panthers

2018-19:                      Assistant Wide Receivers Coach and Special Teams Assistant, Arizona Hotshots

2018:                           Intern Wide Receivers Coach, Carolina Panthers

-REDSKINS-

She will work primarily with running backs. Can't wait to hear what she has to say to AP. He obviously has talent but needs some tweaking to get over the hump.

She should probably play instead of Guice (sp). She is probably less injury prone than he is. I don't doubt that she is mentally tougher than some of the current roster. Moves like this are just what they need to overcome a 3-13 record.

8 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

That is the proper thing to say. Heck with reality.

Reality is that there are successful female coaches in the NFL already. Reality is that Jennifer King has already served as an NFL intern and has proven herself to Rivera. I don't know how she will do or if she will be accepted, but I suspect Rivera isn't doing this just for the sake of good PR.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, Smurf3 said:

That is the proper thing to say. Heck with reality.

Your's is a pretty uninformed comment. She is at a entry level position for sure but it is a full time assistant coaching position - and is very much in line with her qualifications. She is the 3rd female full time assistant coach in the NFL. In fact you could easily argue she has much better qualifications than 2 other assistant coaches - Todd Storm and Ben Jacobs - neither have the experience she has when you add her playing time especially - but even just coaching. She was also HC for basketball so she knows how to coach. 

Did you have this question for Todd or Ben? Me thinks not. 

She may or may not work out. But she has the qualifications for the position and the support of the most important person - Ron Rivera. May want to actually look at the qualifications as compared to others with the same job before making comments. Just a thought. 

Listen to some more of her accomplishments here:  

21 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

That's immediately how I read it, as well.  

that’s not how I and others read it.  So at the very least it’s not clear.  And considering the many other comments in a few other threads about her hiring it’s not hard to get where I got.  

if that was not their intention then fair enough.  I can adjust the comment.   

It’s a fact that what people write does not always convey what they meant.  

55 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

that’s not how I and others read it.  So at the very least it’s not clear.  And considering the many other comments in a few other threads about her hiring it’s not hard to get where I got.  

if that was not their intention then fair enough.  I can adjust the comment.   

It’s a fact that what people write does not always convey what they meant.  

I mean the title says intern... so it’s paid or unpaid... with unpaid being the worse option...

So...

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I mean the title says intern... so it’s paid or unpaid... with unpaid being the worse option...

So...

So...  I got it wrong. Really wrong and will fix above. Thanks for pointing it out. I honestly thought she was a full assistant and was being denigrate to intern. But I see now she is a full time intern. 

@WelshSkinsFan Not sure if you read a response made to you but I read your's completely wrong. So please accept my apologies. I have corrected my response to someone who actually deserved the response I gave to you. 

I will blame pre-surgery (just a tooth implant but still) jitters and old age....  I have to blame it on something...   😉

@goskins10 No need for apologies, I have made many mistakes responding on forums over the years and I am always appreciative when people don't pile on me for doing so.  I am really happy with the appointment and my only concern was that she actually be compensated fairly as she clearly has earned the right to be on this staff and I know we are in agreement on that.

Reading this after all the edits is mad confusing.  I'm not sure who said what which got somebody else unhappy and why @goskins10 had to apologize. 

I do hope it is a full-time paid internship.  It probably is to some extent or another.  But probably not a lot of money. 

I often wonder, do you have to have played to coach.  I think most coaches have played, at least at some level.  Jennifer King played, though clearly not at the NFL level.  I don't know the proportion of coaches that played in the NFL to those who didn't, and any who never played at all. Same is true for scouts.  if you played, does that make you a better scout?  Does the level you played at matter?  

If you REALLY know the game, from strategy and technicque, and you are a good communicator and teacher, does playing experience matter?  I don't know the answer.  But we've seen plenty of outstanding coaches who weren't outstanding players, and outstanding players who weren't outstanding coaches.  Do the skills needed for one compliment the skills needed for the other? 

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Reading this after all the edits is mad confusing.  I'm not sure who said what which got somebody else unhappy and why @goskins10 had to apologize. 

I do hope it is a full-time paid internship.  It probably is to some extent or another.  But probably not a lot of money. 

I often wonder, do you have to have played to coach.  I think most coaches have played, at least at some level.  Jennifer King played, though clearly not at the NFL level.  I don't know the proportion of coaches that played in the NFL to those who didn't, and any who never played at all. Same is true for scouts.  if you played, does that make you a better scout?  Does the level you played at matter?  

If you REALLY know the game, from strategy and technicque, and you are a good communicator and teacher, does playing experience matter?  I don't know the answer.  But we've seen plenty of outstanding coaches who weren't outstanding players, and outstanding players who weren't outstanding coaches.  Do the skills needed for one compliment the skills needed for the other? 

That's a lot of questions dude. Its the offseason. Relax a bit.  :)

Archived