Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Keeping "Hail to the Redskins" worth it?

hatchetwound

Hi Mods....  I hope this is the right spot for this thread.  Apologies if it isn't (I checked several forumns and didn't see it, so I hope its not a repeat either).

I was going through our rivals Wikipedia pages to do some research and I found something interesting.... basically the Cowturds BLACKMAILED us into giving them a franchise.  Their owner went behind our backs to buy the rights to our treasured fight song to get GPM to vote yes on an expansion team in Dallas.

So my question to you is.... was it worth it.  Should have GPM told the future Cowturds owner to "go pound sand" and vote no?

Before you answer consider this:  We changed the lyrics anyway.  No more references to scalping.  No more "Fight for old Dixie".  What if we said no, then gave it a slightly different tune with the new lyrics.   Then No Dallas and we STILL have our fight song!!

Oh, in case anyone needs a reference for my source, I got it here.

1960s

Prior to the formation of the Dallas Cowboys, there had not been an NFL team south of Washington, D.C. since the Dallas Texans folded in 1952. Oilman Clint Murchison Jr. had been trying to get an NFL expansion team in Dallas (as was Lamar Hunt – who ended up with an AFL franchise), but George Preston Marshall, owner of the Washington Redskins, had a monopoly in the South.

Murchison had tried to purchase the Washington Redskins from Marshall in 1958. An agreement was struck, but as the deal was about to be finalized, Marshall called for a change in terms. This infuriated Murchison and he called off the deal. Marshall then opposed any franchise for Murchison in Dallas. Since NFL expansion needed unanimous approval from team owners at that time, Marshall's position would prevent Murchison from joining the league.

Marshall had a falling out with the Redskins band leader Barnee Breeskin. Breeskin had written the music to the Redskins fight song "Hail to the Redskins" and Marshall's wife had penned the lyrics. Breeskin owned the rights to the song and was aware of Murchison's plight to get an NFL franchise. Angry with Marshall, Breeskin approached Murchison's attorney to sell him the rights to the song before the expansion vote in 1959. Murchison purchased "Hail to the Redskins" for $2,500. Before the vote to award franchises in 1959, Murchison revealed to Marshall that he owned the song and Marshall could not play it during games. After a few Marshall expletives, Murchison gave the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" to Marshall for his vote, the lone one against Murchison getting a franchise at that time, and a rivalry was born.

I assumed most of the Fans on this site are well aware of that story, it's been brought up multiple times over the years.  But without the Cowboys, there wouldn't be this (previously) historic rivalry...and that would be a shame.  Hopefully we can both return to relevance, glory and bitter rivalry. Football is more fun that way.

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I assumed most of the Fans on this site are well aware of that story, it's been brought up multiple times over the years.  But without the Cowboys, there wouldn't be this (previously) historic rivalry...and that would be a shame.  Hopefully we can both return to relevance, glory and bitter rivalry. Football is more fun that way.

One of the Madden games over the past the decade(or more) had this story in the waiting screen texts. 

Absolutely. If we didn't have teams that we could love to hate, what would keep us going through the dark years? Colt McCoy will always be a legend for being the Cowboy Killer, even it was 6 years ago. The scab game, Monday Night Miracle, kicking the Cowboys out of the playoffs in 2012.... If we didn't have Dallas, we'd be a worse team for it.

I think they should go back to having the band play the song, instead of the recording that is currently played with the lyrics ,you know the game is going well when you get a sore throat from screaming the song all afternoon long 

Apparently when the NFL and AFL merged in 1971, they were trying to decide the divisional alignments in both conferences The AFC owners found it easy to come up with their divisional alignment, but the owners of the NFC teams were finding agreement more difficult. The story is that Pete Rozelle's secretary took the five proposals and put them in a hat and picked one. The one she picked was the only one that had Dallas in the NFC East.

Dallas established themselves as a good team in the late 1960s and the Redskins wound up being the first NFC East team to challenge that supremacy with George Allen. But I always thought that the fans of the other NFC East teams, particularly the Giants and Eagles, hated the Cowboys as much as we did.

Take the fight song and give Dallas their team. The Redskins at the time were the south's only team at the time in the NFL. That was the only reason GPM voted no. By '66 Atlanta was voted in, so I'm sure Dallas would have gotten in by then and traded the vote for the song back. So your talking about something that would have happened anyways 6 years later.

9 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Take the fight song and give Dallas their team. The Redskins at the time were the south's only team at the time in the NFL. That was the only reason GPM voted no. By '66 Atlanta was voted in, so I'm sure Dallas would have gotten in by then and traded the vote for the song back. So your talking about something that would have happened anyways 6 years later.

These were my thoughts.  Soon after Dallas joined, the Falcons and Buccaneers got teams.  Kansas City and Houston were AFL teams I believe but they existed.  The merger occurred in 1966.  Dallas would have eventually gotten a team eventually.  It seems back then anyone with financial backing could set up a team.  Not as much as in the 1920s to 40s but still doable.  It was a pointless move by Marshall and he nearly lost the song as a result.  Marshall's personal views and issues are well documented overall.

It seems like most people like having the song and the rivalry.  I never thought of it like that!

15 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hey man thanks for frickin sharing this..I absolutely love history info like this..I never knew!!

Your welcome!  I wasn't around back then (lol) so I always like learning more about our history.  I'm happy to share!

14 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I'm sorry. :(  I'm still fairly new here.  I looked but didn't see a thread.  I must have been looking in the wrong place and searching wrong.  My apologies 

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I never thought of that.  Thank you! 

10 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

It seems like most people like having the song and the rivalry.  I never thought of it like that!

Your welcome!  I wasn't around back then (lol) so I always like learning more about our history.  I'm happy to share!

I'm sorry. :(  I'm still fairly new here.  I looked but didn't see a thread.  I must have been looking in the wrong place and searching wrong.  My apologies 

I never thought of that.  Thank you! 

Your not that new..I've seen ya around these parts for a few years now

14 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

One of the Madden games over the past the decade(or more) had this story in the waiting screen texts. 

Another reason why I absolutely love this place..I haven't played a football video game scince..and I kid you not, super techmobowl..is that right?..on the super Nintendo?..lol

11 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

New Orleans also joined the league  in 1966. The Redskins however,did have a very large fan base throughout the South at least until the late 70s

The KC Chiefs started out as the Dallas Texans in the AF before moving to KC.  If the Cowboys had not come to town, the Chiefs would have likely stayed there and that would have made NFL expansion in Dallas less likely and eliminated it once the two leagues merged.

2 hours ago, RawRebel said:

This story gives me another reason to hate the Cowboys, let the rivalry continue. Cowboys crashing and burning at the end of every football season brings me great joy

Exactly!   It was straight up EXTORTION!!!  Its too bad the statue of limitations is up, otherwise I'd say they should arrest Jerry.

One way or another, Dallas would have gotten a franchise and at least the old Texans now have the upper hand. I do wish that the expansion Cowboys hadn't picked Eddie LeBaron as their first QB. Also hated the "America's Team" nickname they got simply because there was still so much geography with no franchise and so called fans with no team jumped on the Cowboys' band wagon when they started winning. As far as any rivalry goes nothing will ever beat "We want Dallas" with the RFK stands bouncing up and down like a trampoline. Those days are long gone and now the Dallas game is just another game with a team in the same division so they have to play twice.

Archived