Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RYAN VERMILLION AS HEAD ATHLETIC TRAINER

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 6, 2020

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RYAN VERMILLION AS HEAD ATHLETIC TRAINER

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Ryan Vermillion to the role of head athletic trainer.

“Ryan Vermillion is one of the most respected and seasoned head athletic trainers in the NFL,” said Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder. “His 25-plus years of NFL experience and his familiarity with Coach Rivera made him a perfect fit for our organization.”

“For many years, I’ve seen firsthand the positive impact Ryan has on a team,” said Washington Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera. “His primary focus has always been the health of the players and he is going to be a tremendous addition to the Redskins.”

“The Washington Redskins are very fortunate to be able to add Ryan Vermillion to our training staff. He is one of the most valued and senior athletic trainers in the NFL,” said Redskins Team Doctor James Andrews. “His experience in the field brings our medical team to the highest level and furthers our goal of being the best in the NFL.”

Vermillion spent 18 seasons as the head athletic trainer for the Carolina Panthers, nine of which he worked under former Panthers Head Coach and current Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera. During his tenure with Carolina, Vermillion was responsible for the coordination of all aspects of health care for the Panthers. He managed the athletic training room, including all full-time and season-long trainers and is experienced in risk management and injury prevention along with pathology of injuries and illnesses and rehabilitation. Vermillion is also well versed in the nutritional aspects of injury and illness. He was given the Fain-Cain Memorial Award for Outstanding NFL Trainer of the Year in 2016 and in 2003 he led the training staff of the year as voted on by his fellow NFL colleagues.

Prior to working in Carolina, Vermillion was the Director of Rehabilitation for the Washington Redskins and will now return to the team after 18 seasons. Prior to his one season in Washington, he spent nine seasons working under Hall of Fame Head Coach Don Shula with the Miami Dolphins. In Miami he spent four seasons as the head athletic trainer and five seasons as the director of rehabilitation and associate athletic trainer. Vermillion was a 1987 graduate of the University of Miami (Fla.) and spent four years as a student athletic trainer.

So I’m reading about this guy and Panther fans seem to be very happy he’s gone. 

That means very little as most vocal fans, especially on Twitter, are complete idiots, but he certainly does come with some baggage. 

What I’d like to know is where have the Panthers ranked in terms of overall injuries over the years? 

I know @goskins10 used to post a stat that would track that. Something like “starter games missed”. 

That’s my way of assigning homework. :ols: 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

So I’m reading about this guy and Panther fans seem to be very happy he’s gone. 

That means very little as most vocal fans, especially on Twitter, are complete idiots, but he certainly does come with some baggage. 

What I’d like to know is where have the Panthers ranked in terms of overall injuries over the years? 

I know @goskins10 used to post a stat that would track that. Something like “starter games missed”. 

That’s my way of assigning homework. :ols: 

I had a subscription mangameslost.com. I was grandfathered in at $5/yr until this year. They increased it to $349 (see below). I like this stuff, but not at $349 🙂  

I will see if I can find it elsewhere. I do like a challenger.....  

image.png.d6ac6b7426582f883c8ba1896a36e7bd.png

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I had a subscription mangameslost.com. I was grandfathered in at $5/yr until this year. They increased it to $349 (see below). I like this stuff, but not at $349 🙂  

I will see if I can find it elsewhere. I do like a challenger.....  

image.png.d6ac6b7426582f883c8ba1896a36e7bd.png

My God, that is outrageous. Yeah, don’t subscribe at that price. 

I mean, if you want to be an idiot and pay for that so we can see that stat I will thank you while being totally embarrassed for you that you’re that moronic, but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for ES. 😁

27 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

My God, that is outrageous. Yeah, don’t subscribe at that price. 

I mean, if you want to be an idiot and pay for that so we can see that stat I will thank you while being totally embarrassed for you that you’re that moronic, but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for ES. 😁

Well when you put it that way...  

image.png.04e58f0b768e0b524a50a6deee483398.png

47 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I think I may have ruined it for us all if anyone who actually did subscribe to it was about to post those stats. :ols: 

I completely quoted the wrong part of your post.  But I'll give you credit for 1. assigning homework, and then 2. stating anybody posting this stat will be mocked mercilessly.

I do know that @goskins10 posted the same imagine a bunch of times back in 2017/2018 in some injury threads. As an ALL POWERFUL MOD, do you have better search capabilities to look back that far?  I have tried what we can search, but I can't find it.  

If memory serves, it at least had comparatives for a few years, and while it might not be recent, since this guy has been around a while, it might be relevant?

On the other hand, it's my strong belief that a lot of the injury status of players, at least within one season, is just plain bad luck.  Guys get rolled up on, get concussed, etc.  Hard to really defend against that.

The issue is more how they recover, the strength training they receive in the off-season, making sure they are in "football shape" and then, and importantly, not keeping guys who have been injured multiple times around because they are more likely to get injured again. And it's hard to find a metric where you can measure recovery time. 

There are 2 injuries which I think pop up more than others which MIGHT be considered related to conditioning are cramps and pulls, like a hamstring pull.  Not always, but often if you are well conditioned, flexible and trained, those types of injuries pop up less often.  It would be interesting to see how often those types of injuries have cropped up for the Panthers the last few years.  

From what I have heard, Hess had to go because he was seen internally, at least by some, as a conduit to Dan and somewhat of a low-profile henchman.  I have never heard of this guy, and know nothing about him, but if he's at least competent and works well with Rivera, I guess that's at least a positive.

PS: You know by saying most people with reaction to this type of things are idiots, you're really calling everybody on the board idiots, right?  Because we have opinions about everything.  Even things we know absolutely nothing about.  And we will state them loudly and declare them as facts.  :P 

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The issue is more how they recover, the strength training they receive in the off-season, making sure they are in "football shape" and then, and importantly, not keeping guys who have been injured multiple times around because they are more likely to get injured again. And it's hard to find a metric where you can measure recovery time. 

That is the issue I’m wanting to look at and is directly related to the Athletic Training Staff. That isn’t just about luck. Far from it, which is why some teams are consistently decent on the injury front and some are consistently poor, which we’ve been damn near the entire time Hess has been in charge.

Not to mention there’s been way too many players complaining about it, with the culmination of the Trent episode.  

That metric of “man games lost” gives you some idea about just how good or bad a job that Staff is doing. It’s important. 

From what I have heard, Hess had to go because he was seen internally, at least by some, as a conduit to Dan and somewhat of a low-profile henchman.  I have never heard of this guy, and know nothing about him, but if he's at least competent and works well with Rivera, I guess that's at least a positive.

That may be the case where Dan was undermining him and forcing him to speed up the recovery of players. Which is what leads to guys playing when they shouldn’t be and re-injuring the same thing or some joint/muscle tied to that because they were compensating. 

Absolutely, and wouldn’t be crazy to assume. I’ve said as much. 

Either way, it was an important step to remove him. 

PS: You know by saying most people with reaction to this type of things are idiots, you're really calling everybody on the board idiots, right?  Because we have opinions about everything.  Even things we know absolutely nothing about.  And we will state them loudly and declare them as facts.  :P 

We are most certainly all idiots regarding what we’re discussing here, but some of us do a better job recognizing our own idiocy, can research stuff that highlights our previous idiocy and can then adjust to become smarter idiots. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Hard to gauge much from that data without doing a ton of research to compare. I don’t feel like becoming a smarter idiot right now.

I do know that @goskins10 posted the same imagine a bunch of times back in 2017/2018 in some injury threads. As an ALL POWERFUL MOD, do you have better search capabilities to look back that far?  I have tried what we can search, but I can't find it.  

If memory serves, it at least had comparatives for a few years, and while it might not be recent, since this guy has been around a while, it might be relevant?

Search function is rough, but it works the same for all of us. I’ll see what I can do, though. You’re right, what he posted before might have something about the Panthers. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

That's an interesting business model. 

"First, we are gonna reel them in. Then once we get them, we are gonna raise the price by 7000%.  I bet the consumer won't even notice."

9 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

"First, we are gonna reel them in. Then once we get them, we are gonna raise the price by 7000%.  I bet the consumer won't even notice."

Can you imagine the people that are trying to figure out where that $350 auto debit came from this month? That is ridiculous :)

Here is 2009 through 2017 that I already had. I did not get the last two years - I know that would be more helpful. Let me see if I have 2018 at least hiding somewhere. 

The ranking is based on total starting man games lost. I have both Carolina and Washington. I have the other teams but figured no one would care about them... 🙂  

Lost-av and Lost-wav is how they approximate the value of the players lost. In other words losing your starting QB is more hurtful than say an interior oline. I did not rank them but could. In general, anything about say mid 20s is bad. 

image.png.3998491039bf35cd8d8f1cf384eda5ca.png

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It was bought by an investor. The site is up for sale. I got several emails asking me to buy the site and it's software. But that is not a business I want to be in, especially since I am sure the price will not be reasonable.  My guess is next year it will either be gone or go back down to something more reasonable. I would pay maybe $20.00 but anything more than that they are crazy. 

In a weird way, I'm more excited about a new trainer than a new coach. We have had so many players go down. So many seasons lost due to injury. 

I really don't know how much difference this can make, but it's about time the team tried to do something.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Thing is, what the Redskins really ought to do is hire Rudy and Oscar Goldman as our trainers. Think about it. For a cost of six million dollars per player... we could have a bionic roster! Better. Stronger. Faster.

For strength and conditioning, I nominate Hans and Franz.

hans-franz.jpg

Just now, KillBill26 said:

For strength and conditioning, I nominate Hans and Franz.

hans-franz.jpg

You see, I thought about that. It's won't work. They test for steroids. They do not test for nuclear powered robotics. Bionics is the way to go. If you don't like Rudy, we could go for the guys who created Robocop.

Bionic ears to hear the pass rush or if we hire a Belicheat disciple to hear the opposition's play call.

Bionic eyes to target the pass.

Bionic legs for high pointing the ball and running free.

Bionic arms for stiff arming or shedding blocks.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Well we knew this was only a matter of time! They get nominated every time we talk about this subject...   LOL  

We're going to pump....YOU UP!!!!

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

You see, I thought about that. It's won't work. They test for steroids. They do not test for nuclear powered robotics. Bionics is the way to go. If you don't like Rudy, we could go for the guys who created Robocop.

You're right, secret weapon!!

As far as using this data to evaluate the training staff, I'd say av would be more pertinent than wav, since the position doesn't really matter, its just about staying healthy in general.

I'd assume the 2018 data looks a lot like 2017.  2019 not as bad.

Another important piece of info would be games missed while team is in contention.  A player thats hurt is more likely to be shut down for the season if his team is eliminated, but may power through it if they are fighting for a playoff spot.  

A lot of data to sift through, and as mentioned, it's hard to quantify bad luck.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Here is 2009 through 2017 that I already had. I did not get the last two years - I know that would be more helpful. Let me see if I have 2018 at least hiding somewhere. 

The ranking is based on total starting man games lost. I have both Carolina and Washington. I have the other teams but figured no one would care about them... 🙂  

Lost-av and Lost-wav is how they approximate the value of the players lost. In other words losing your starting QB is more hurtful than say an interior oline. I did not rank them but could. In general, anything about say mid 20s is bad. 

image.png.3998491039bf35cd8d8f1cf384eda5ca.png

It was bought by an investor. The site is up for sale. I got several emails asking me to buy the site and it's software. But that is not a business I want to be in, especially since I am sure the price will not be reasonable.  My guess is next year it will either be gone or go back down to something more reasonable. I would pay maybe $20.00 but anything more than that they are crazy. 

Ok, help me out here. If I’m reading this right, I’m coming away with the Panthers being better than us on average over the course of that time, but not necessarily good? Or is that off? 

I need to look at it more, I know, but just my initial take away from it that. 

I remember how 2013 was such an anomaly for us injury-wise, so it makes sense. We were so healthy that year and it was one of of our worst seasons. :ols: 

Archived