Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

20 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That I 100% agree with 🍻. I just didn't like that he was poo pooing vaccination as a non-doctor.

I actually didn't like that, either...was somewhat relieved when they mentioned percentages for...something lol...and the percentage for vaxxed was significantly lower than for unvaxxed but I guess still high enough.

Well, after trying so hard to avoid it, having the girls home for the holidays seems to have made it unavoidable. Youngest flew back to Ann Arbor yesterday, and texted last night that she was feeling a bit off, so got tested, and is positive. I woke this morning with a scratchy throat, and more nasal congestion than is normal for me this time of year. Have not felt bad all day, same routine, but after dog walking, lawn mowing, and a shower, I’m feeling a bit off myself. Throat still scratchy, nose not as bad. Can’t get a test anywhere near me for 6 days. I figure, what’s the point? Going with the medicinal bourbon now. Cheers!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

May or may not have Covid. Sister and her husband were in town from NYC, after just having been in Florida for Christmas. We had a small NYE party at my parents house (9 people). Started feeling sick Saturday evening, sore throat, bad cough. Went to work Sunday for the final home game, came back to parents place Sunday night since i had no work Monday and Tuesday, and my sister and brother in law were still here until Tuesday night. 

have had a fever since Monday night. Been testing negative since Sunday night. Not sure what else this could be 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

May or may not have Covid. Sister and her husband were in town from NYC, after just having been in Florida for Christmas. We had a small NYE party at my parents house (9 people). Started feeling sick Saturday evening, sore throat, bad cough. Went to work Sunday for the final home game, came back to parents place Sunday night since i had no work Monday and Tuesday, and my sister and brother in law were still here until Tuesday night. 

have had a fever since Monday night. Been testing negative since Sunday night. Not sure what else this could be 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just had an awful cold that was worse than getting Delta vaccinated, those viruses are still out there. If you're using at-home tests, would suggest swabbing throat first and then nostrils.

Is it wrong for me to point out that the US Spanish flu pandemic is officially listed as lasting February 1918 to April 2020 but all the articles I read indicate that it ended Summer 1919?  Therefore.... 

26 months from March 2020 is May 2022.  Given that "Summer 1919" would correlate to "Summer/Winter 2021" In my mind we have unofficially hit the same time period the world dealt with the Spanish Flu... 5 generations ago.  

I have no point to really sharing. Hopefully when we get through this we all will feel just generally happy to get through COVID and will be able to enjoy our loved ones.  

I was grateful for sports season last year for my kids when many didn't have one.  This year I am looking at omicron with a bit more caution around the sporting schedule.   

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Obviously you are infected withe the coronavirus! The one that causes flu 🤧 😉. You also get fever with the flu too. 

14 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

People I know going the home test route are not popping positive until a few days after symptoms. 

not sure if that’s an issue with the test or if they’re doing it wrong and it just takes several times for them to do it correctly (or for the virus to advanced enough that the way they’re doing it, works)

The home kits are trash in my opinion.  Some virus went through our family a few months agai.  Out of 3 of us at the height of our sickness, all negatives, then as were felling better and getting ready to go back in public, we test again and 2 positive, one negative.  I think they’re worthless.

They’re not worthless. They have a specific use case and they require you to swab yourself correctly. 

and pardon me but as someone that’s had numerous covid tests - I find it hard to believe the average person is swabbing themselves correctly. 

or using it in the correct time frame. 

the common thread through the pandemic so that people don’t know how to follow directions. 

9 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Some of the concerns here are unfounded - throat swabs have already been normal in places like the UK for the tests they use and they have official guidance on how to do so safely. The biggest risk is potentially slightly higher false positives and making sure you haven't eaten or drank anything recently. Nobody knows rapid tests better than Michael Mina, if he says it's worth doing I'm rolling with him in this arena.

52 minutes ago, mojo said:

The home kits are trash in my opinion.  Some virus went through our family a few months agai.  Out of 3 of us at the height of our sickness, all negatives, then as were felling better and getting ready to go back in public, we test again and 2 positive, one negative.  I think they’re worthless.

Symptoms and viral load don't always match up - it is possible to be at the peak of your viral load as symptoms come down now because of vaccination.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Symptoms and viral load don't always match up - it is possible to be at the peak of your viral load as symptoms come down now because of vaccination.

I realize that but how many people get the tests when they're sick, administer them, determine it's not Covid so there's no reason to quarantine.  

Edited by mojo

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Why do you think that's true?

I'm aware he recently moved to eMed. And if he'd been silent all this time, and then all of a sudden gone gung-ho on rapid testing when he moved that'd be telling and worthy of tuning out. But he's been lobbying for them for almost two years, long before he moved jobs, when he was at Harvard's school of public health and had no financial incentive.

And if others disagree and think it was a longstanding ploy all along, they are free to think that.

20 minutes ago, mojo said:

I realize that but how many people get the tests when they're sick, administer them, determine it's not Covid so there's no reason to quarantine.  

Well… this is why people refusing to wear masks and social distance (and get vaccinated) is so infuriating. 

Testing is not perfect. In some respects it’s inadequate. Which is why people need to tackle this issue from multiple angles. 

we need to wear masks around others

we need to social distance as much as possible

we need to get vaccinated

we need to lock ourselves down when we start to not feel well - until we understand what it is we have

we need to practice basic hygiene 

and we need to test when it’s appropriate, understand the testing isn’t perfect for many reasons, and just do the best we can with any given circumstance. 
and we need to not flood hospitals over basic symptoms

not a single aspect of any of this is perfect nor great. 

a little paying attention, being on board with experts, and vigilance would go a long way

The fact that people have made this a political issue, with virtue signaling, and general dumbassery like we’ve seen in posts in this thread, is why this problem is at the point it’s at

and it’s why it won’t get any better any time soon

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I'm aware he recently moved to eMed. And if he'd been silent all this time, and then all of a sudden gone gung-ho on rapid testing when he moved that'd be telling and worthy of tuning out. But he's been lobbying for them for almost two years, long before he moved jobs, when he was at Harvard's school of public health and had no financial incentive.

And if others disagree and think it was a longstanding ploy all along, they are free to think that.

That's not what I'm talking about.  You said he knows more about antibody tests than anybody else.  What about his career makes you believe that?

He might be right or not, but that doesn't mean he knows more about antibody tests than anybody else.  Who he works for and changing jobs doesn't affect how much he knows about antibody tests.

Based on his bibliography (which goes to a Pubmed search), he has one publication on antibody tests, and it is a mathematical modeling paper in which no antigen tests were done, tested, designed, or created.  They took some things that people know about Covid and tried to create a formula to describe how well antibody tests work compared to RT-PCR.  But they didn't even do any antibody tests.  And now he works for a software company which I doubt is making, designing, or testing atibody tests.

There are people out there that have careers based on designing, creating, manufacturing, evaluating, and testing antibody tests.  That isn't Michael Mina.

He might be right, and the CDC might be undervaluing the utility of antibody tests.

But there is no just no way that he knows more about antibody tests than people that have built careers working on antigen tests.  He doesn't know more about these antigen tests than the people that work at the companies that actually designed, made, and tested them.

He's undoubtedly a really smart and hard working guy (smarter and harder working than me).  And he might be right.  But he is not the world expert on antibody tests.

Edited by PeterMP

16 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

That's not what I'm talking about.  You said he knows more about antibody tests than anybody else.  What about his career makes you believe that?

I said he knows as much about rapid antigen tests as anyone else not antibody tests. Was not meaning to imply he was the sole person whose opinion is worth hearing, just that I personally place his opinion above others because of how consistent he's been with his message for two years, and  how far he's gone to educate the public on their utility and shortcomings - beyond anyone else I've seen with a public platform.

If others are more skeptical or want to balance out with the opinions of others in the industry, that makes sense too.

Edited by Sticksboi05