Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

the political circus in the hearing today is just disgusting

scalia and jordan are among so many goper pos's that i regret even exist and some dems are pretty half-assed too (no surprise) in their misleading topical ignorance and politicizing

i love maxine waters' legacy and i expect she's still a very competent legislator overall but she just falls all over herself again and again at a mike in hearings where she speaks in scattered, disjointed, and stumbling phrasing as a routine...often disrupting a productive tempo and flow that was working positively for their side

i also see similar issues with dem idjits like steve cohen and j raskin (not always an idjit) and a half-dozen other camera-hugging dems

i still think nadler's a big loser at a mike or on camera... but i'm getting off topic, some of those names aren't even part of this hearing 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

scalia and jordan are among so many goper pos's that i regret even exist and some dems are pretty half-assed too (no surprise) in their misleading topical ignorance and politicizing

i love maxine waters' legacy and i expect she's still a very competent legislator overall but she just falls all over herself again and again at a mike in hearings where her she speaks in scattered, disjointed, and stumbling phrasing as a routine...often disrupting a productive tempo and flow that was working positively for their side

i also see similar issues with dem idjits like steve cohen and j raskin (not always an idjit) and a half-dozen other camera-hugging dems

i still think nadler's a big loser at a mike or on camera... but i'm getting off topic, some of those names aren't even part of this hearing 

Good luck trying to replace Gym(spelled his name like that on purpose) Jordan in that district he keeps winning. Donnie held a big advantage vs Hill 64% to 30%. Problem with these hearings are they're just political theater and really don't hit on anything.  I say we need term limits in Congress and Senate to avoid this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

i love maxine waters' legacy and i expect she's still a very competent legislator overall but she just falls all over herself again and again at a mike in hearings where she speaks in scattered, disjointed, and stumbling phrasing as a routine...often disrupting a productive tempo and flow that was working positively for their side

I've been watching some of it as well and like most hearings I can hardly stomach watching more than a few minutes at a time because of all the idiotic political grandstanding and stunts. Republicans are worse because their stunts and theatrics are in the service of Trump and Trumpism, but that doesn't mean Dems are exempt from acting the fool and making themselves look stupid. Case in point: when the aforementioned Steve Cohen brought KFC in to try and mock Barr for refusing to show up. It was idiotic and made me cringe.

I really wish that the Reps themselves weren't allowed to talk or ask questions outside of the very beginning of a hearing, and then only for a minute. After that let it only be staff lawyers doing the quizzing, and they aren't allowed to read any "prepared remarks" to start. It would still be partisan as far as the questions, but at least it would be less stomach churning most likely. 

• Like 1

Watched a little of the Congressional Covid panel questioning of health officials, where Jim Jordan, instead of asking Dr. Fauci any legitimate question, instead went on a campaigning harangue in an effort to keep secure his seat as biggest asshole on planet Earth.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Haha 1

did ya see little stevie miller just do his sickass goper dance for the wh again with his racist xenophobia and "upcoming massive voter fraud" shtick?

it's so sad and unfortunate to me that in our development to date as a species we still have the reality that in such an "advanced" society as this, we are still full of so many malicious ignorant dangerous idiots that aren't just  allowed to exist to bring undeserved harm to others (most of whom do more for humanity at large than they do by a huge margin)  but they can even accumulate enough followers to influence so much for the whole nation

talk about way way overdue for a "purge"

• Like 2

I wonder...maybe if the Dems voted to require suit jackets in all hearings then perhaps Jordan wouldn't show up?

If a tree falls in in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, is Jim Jordan still an unbearable asshole?

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

Florida coronavirus: State reports 257 new deaths, a single-day increase record for fourth day in a row

More than 470,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Florida, and more than 6,800 people have died, according to the latest report from the health department’s website.

Data shows Florida reported an additional 9,007 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases on Friday, bringing the total number of cases to 470,386.

The state saw another record increase in deaths on Friday, making it the fourth day in a row Florida has reported a record single-day increase. The death toll rose by 257 to 6,843.

Data shows 26,533 Floridians have been hospitalized at some point during the pandemic. That’s up 516 from Thursday morning.

Over the weekend, Florida surpassed New York to become the state with the second-highest caseload in the country. Earlier this month, the state saw a record number of new cases— 15,299 —in a single day.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

Arizona woman who destroyed Target mask display in viral video says she regrets behavior

Melissa Rein Lively's spiral in an Arizona Target was caught on video for all to see. She recorded herself destroying a mask display in early July – something she now says she regrets and is in treatment for mental illness. 

In an exclusive interview with USA TODAY, Rein Lively, the CEO and founder of a public relations firm, said she lost all of her clients and her husband filed for divorce after the videos of her expletive-filled rants went viral.

"I think mental illness has been really something that has not been addressed as a result of this pandemic," she said. "Because what happened to me was scary and it changed my life forever. I felt I had absolutely no control over my actions."

After her manic meltdown in the store, Rein Lively said she was taken for a psychiatric evaluation after her husband called police from their home. She said she stayed in a mental health facility for over a week.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jesus. It's not even 3PM yet and Florida has already surpassed their entire death toll from yesterday?

😧

From what I've seen Florida reports once a day early on so I wouldn't expect the numbers for Florida to increase today. 

1 hour ago, China said:

Arizona woman who destroyed Target mask display in viral video says she regrets behavior

Melissa Rein Lively's spiral in an Arizona Target was caught on video for all to see. She recorded herself destroying a mask display in early July – something she now says she regrets and is in treatment for mental illness. 

Has anyone seen this woman’s twitter?  She’s been pushing anti mask conspiracies this entire pandemic.  I’m not buying it.  Her income took a hit and now like all wealthy people when caught behaving badly, she’s checking herself into a facility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, China said:

In an exclusive interview with USA TODAY, Rein Lively, the CEO and founder of a public relations firm, said she lost all of her clients and her husband filed for divorce after the videos of her expletive-filled rants went viral.

"I think mental illness has been really something that has not been addressed as a result of this pandemic," she said. "Because what happened to me was scary and it changed my life forever. I felt I had absolutely no control over my actions."

After her manic meltdown in the store, Rein Lively said she was taken for a psychiatric evaluation after her husband called police from their home. She said she stayed in a mental health facility for over a week.

Wait a minute.... so she’s NOT really a secret CIA with a direct line to Trump’s office?!? And she wasn’t arrested because she’s Jewish?!?!

Can’t tell any more.... with all the DHS agents running around.

• Haha 1

Silly me, thought I might get screwed by the business I’m suing going out if business cause of covid pandemic economy crisis

no instead my old, top tier lawyer got covid

(I realize his life is more important that my problem)

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Drive up test scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30.

Wish me luck!

Being a bowl to catch your eyeballs when they pop out from them swabbing you

seriously it felt like someone was trying to pop out my eyeballs from inside my nose. 

Edited by tshile
  • Sad 1

Even the Best-Case U.S. Coronavirus Scenario Is Horrific

Since the novel coronavirus exploded in the United States, it’s been linked to the deaths of over 150,000 Americans and infected over 4.5 million, though the real numbers are likely higher.

It sabotaged an historically bustling economy, shut down many forms of basic professional and social interaction, killed beloved friends and family members, and popularized terrifying terms like “super-spreader.” 

It also, predictably, became a political and ideological fault-line—exposing a spectacularly unprepared national health system and a willingness to vilify even century-old public health principles, sparking a national outbreak unlike any other in the world.

The entire planet has learned a lot about the deadly disease since those decisive early months: how not to treat it, how it spreads, some of the damage it can cause in the longer term, how it affects children, and much more.

But if the American failure to contain COVID-19 has never been clearer—the U.S. has more cases than Brazil and India combined—what should a devastated and enraged population be expecting next? Will hot zones in the South and West that replaced early outbreaks in the Northwest and Northeast keep getting hotter? (Hot zones will more likely continue to cycle around to new locations.) Will a furious—and deeply politicized—hunt for a vaccine actually pay dividends? (Probably, but too soon to tell for sure.) Would a Joe Biden administration appreciably change the game? (Depends on what outbreaks look like in January 2021.)

Here’s what we do know.

As a bevy of experts all told The Daily Beast this week, “all this”—the lockdowns, shifting hot spots, and surges in deaths and hospitalizations that threaten local health systems—will probably last about two to three years total. By then, humanity may have come to better coexist with the virus. People will die from it less often, and will have returned to healthier social and economic lives thanks to a dynamic set of tools. Those might include some combination of vaccines, non-pharmaceutical interventions, new testing technology, therapies, and even a potentially new administration willing to provide more consistent messaging and guidance that doesn’t undermine public health experts.

Of course, that last part is tougher to predict.

But there’s no longer much serious discussion about how to “eliminate” the virus—at least in the short term. Infectious disease experts say they are no longer sure that’s even possible.

• Like 1