Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Renegade7

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

He actually counted $1.5M more than if he had played. He'll count $14.5M cap but only $2M dead cap for this year. Not sure if the $1.5M dead cap from last year rolls over to this year.

Can you post the source for this? I have not found anything that states this. I am not sure how that could happen. I would like to see the source if possible. 

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Can you post the source for this? I have not found anything that states this. I am not sure how that could happen. I would like to see the source if possible. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

I read it wrong (not $1.5M more). $2M more. I would assume his $5.5M dead cap is $2M more than his $3.5M cap hit, or have I read this wrong?

23 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

I read it wrong (not $1.5M more). $2M more. I would assume his $5.5M dead cap is $2M more than his $3.5M cap hit, or have I read this wrong?

I am pretty sure you read it wrong. The dead cap number is what the dead cap would have been had they cut him. To see any actual dead cap you need to look at the team page (I actually like overthecap.com a little better). 

His base salary was supposed to be $10.5M. So had he played he would have had an almost $14M CAP hit. Since he did not it was the $3.525M number. I believe you get there by adding his pro-rated signing bonus, the roster bonus, and the amount of guaranteed money he had remaining which was in the $1.5M range - maybe $1.65M? 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am pretty sure you read it wrong. The dead cap number is what the dead cap would have been had they cut him. To see any actual dead cap you need to look at the team page (I actually like overthecap.com a little better). 

His base salary was supposed to be $10.5M. So had he played he would have had an almost $14M CAP hit. Since he did not it was the $3.525M number. I believe you get there by adding his pro-rated signing bonus, the roster bonus, and the amount of guaranteed money he had remaining which was in the $1.5M range - maybe $1.65M? 

It gets confusing for me sometimes. I thought I read somewhere that dead cap can also mean if the player doesn't play for the team that year (benched, suspensions etc.), but evidently that's not the case 'cause I can't find it anywhere again. Anyways, thanks for the OTC site. They have us with a $53M cap space so far. Not bad.

17 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am done as I think we reached an impasse, which is ok.  

but I disagree it was derailing. Contract discussions are a natural part of CAP space discussion. 

With all due respect, It's not your thread to decide that.

I made this to focus in Redskins specific players and updates on whether we kept them or did not to see how to get close to a specific amount of cap space.

Once it got to the point of talking about the bigger picture of contracts and comparing to NBA contracts instead of updates specific to Redskins players, ya, I stepped in.

It's not that the points made dont matter or even not relevant, its a huge topic that deserves it's own thread, not this one.  I'm not the only one that felt that way and commented on that. So ya, I had to say something.  My concern was the direction this was going could become too broad and either moved out the stadium or closed because it couldnt be moved to tailgate for starting as too Redskins specific.

Julie Donaldson (@JDonaldsonNBCS) Tweeted:
They like him, expect Kerrigan to stay.

https://t.co/s4grgXL5i8

Not suprised, so now next question is if it's a restructure or not, or a cut and brought in on a new contract like I suggested earlier.  I really wanted him to be on a contender before he retires, even if it's not here. He deserves that much.

It sort of makes sense to keep Kerrigan around. He had a down year but could certainly excel and I wouldn’t be shocked if he got 10-12 sacks next year if he were starter. But he’d be a perfect rotating DE. Given that premier DEs can make $16-20 million a year, if you restructure Kerrigan for $7-8 million a year ... the combined Kerrigan/Sweat/Young would likely earn $16-18 million per year over the next 3 years 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

With all due respect, It's not your thread to decide that.

I disagree but have sent you a PM so as not to derail the thread further discussing how not to derail the thread. 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Julie Donaldson (@JDonaldsonNBCS) Tweeted:
They like him, expect Kerrigan to stay.

https://t.co/s4grgXL5i8

Not suprised, so now next question is if it's a restructure or not, or a cut and brought in on a new contract like I suggested earlier.  I really wanted him to be on a contender before he retires, even if it's not here. He deserves that much.

Kerrigan is my favorite player and has been since he got here. I hope they can find a way to keep him would not be surprised if it's at a lower salary number. He should retire a Redskin. But if they release him I could totally see that too. He has an awfully big CAP number, especially if you take Chase Y at #2. 

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It sort of makes sense to keep Kerrigan around. He had a down year but could certainly excel and I wouldn’t be shocked if he got 10-12 sacks next year if he were starter. But he’d be a perfect rotating DE. Given that premier DEs can make $16-20 million a year, if you restructure Kerrigan for $7-8 million a year ... the combined Kerrigan/Sweat/Young would likely earn $16-18 million per year over the next 3 years 

Well stated.  I said before that I read early off-season that Kerrigan had already instructed his agent to work on finding a way contract wise to stay with the team.  Can't have enough rushers IMO (see how Giants and Eagles beat Pats and suffocated Brady in the SBs).

Ryan has been nothing but steady, professional, and a great piece on and off the field in DC.  He's due having a quality coach, scheme, and team.  He's earned a chance at success here so I hope they an work it out.  

6 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Well stated.  I said before that I read early off-season that Kerrigan had already instructed his agent to work on finding a way contract wise to stay with the team.  Can't have enough rushers IMO (see how Giants and Eagles beat Pats and suffocated Brady in the SBs).

Ryan has been nothing but steady, professional, and a great piece on and off the field in DC.  He's due having a quality coach, scheme, and team.  He's earned a chance at success here so I hope they an work it out.  

Yeah, of all the off-season moves that this team could make, moving on from RK seemed least likely. A restructure makes the most sense, IMO.

Ya, that's 3 down, apparently we got our balls back.  Ima miss Reed, but it was for his own good.

At this point it doesnt make sense to expect Trent to be cut, so no expectations there.  But I again am losing patience with Dunbar.

And in support of restructuring Kerrigan, but cutting and bringing back if neccesary (and for outright cutting if the numbers cant be worked out).

And cutting Alex as soon as hes healthy will cut into whatever we gain from all this, but worth it to keep full giving him the full contract.  He deserves his guaranteed money, he doesnt deserve to be the highest paid player for multiple seasons and not expected to play at all.  It jus doesn't make sense, rip the bandaid off already.

8 hours ago, markmills67 said:

How much after the 12m insurance policy will Smith count against the cap in 2020 and 2021 if released?. 

HTTR 

well I’m not sure the scenario I stated is going to be possible, but if we ended up in a situation where we could have June 1st designations and that’s what we made him...

broadly you’d have dead cap of about 16mil p/y without any insurance offset but I have read you could then deduct the 12mil from this year in full. That would leave cap hits of only 4mil in 2020 and 16mil in 2021.

or spread the insurance return over 2 years would leave 10mil p/y cap hits.

compare those to his current 2020 cap number of 20mil.

as I say, there are no June 1st cuts without a new CBA in place anyway.....

50 minutes ago, Skinn said:

Didn't Scherff make 12.5 last year? He isn't signing for 9

If he gets a 15 mill signing bonus and has salaries of 6/10/11/12/13, that's a 5 year /67 mill deal (Or 13.4 mill average).

The 15 mill signing bonus counts across the 5 years, 3 million per year.

Cap hit year one is 9 mill (6mill + 3mill prorated bonus).  So what he signs for has little to do with 2020 cap hit.  IDK what he'll sign for, but 13ish mill seems like the ask, so this is a reasonable example of how the 9 mill could happen for 2020.  That would mean 13/14/15/16 hits in the following years.  Generally guarantees are low for 4th and 5th year, which is why guys like Kerrigan and Trent have no guarantees and are more willing to re-negotiate deals when the 15/16 mill hits would happen. 

42 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do we keep Montae Nicholson this year? Especially since his salary jumps from $800K to $2.3 million? Tre Boston signed a 1 year deal last year with the Panthers for $3 million. I know which one I'd rather have.

This falls under a "Sign Tre and then decide".  If Tre is on the teams wishlist, I would imagine the cut would happen shortly after the ink dries.

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol Hogs Haven is a joke. No chance Scherff only makes $9 Mil. He's gonna get 12+ easily.

48 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah, I can’t see a LTD for Scherff coming in lower than 5years 70mil. 

He is talking about cap hit.  And it's pretty fair 9 mill would be the hit.  And he'd still get more than the 12+ you're both suggesting.

Landon Collins last year was announced as 6 year/84 mill.  https://overthecap.com/player/landon-collins/3881/

You'll see the cap numbers are 3.8, 14, 17, 16, 17, 15.  One of these is far different than the others.  Teams do this quite often.

Now considering how much cap they have this year vs last, there is an argument to put more into year 1.  (Which 9 million would be...)

12 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

He is talking about cap hit.  And it's pretty fair 9 mill would be the hit.  And he'd still get more than the 12+ you're both suggesting.

Landon Collins last year was announced as 6 year/84 mill.  https://overthecap.com/player/landon-collins/3881/

You'll see the cap numbers are 3.8, 14, 17, 16, 17, 15.  One of these is far different than the others.  Teams do this quite often.

Now considering how much cap they have this year vs last, there is an argument to put more into year 1.  (Which 9 million would be...)

I think the Landon Collins contract is a great example of what you can do if a new CBA is in place.

If it isn’t then the 30% rule will kill that, because that will restrict year on year salary increases of great than 30%. So in the example of Collins, his year one salary was 800k, jumping in year two dramatically. That can’t happen with the 30% rule.

The lack of a new CBA will be very restrictive on teams with minimal cap space.

Archived