Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

Expect to see Turner run the Air Coyle offense, rather than the West Coast offense Gruden was known for.  We need to beef up the OL.  Haskins is going to need a lot of protection.

Wiki

The Coryell offense is based on Sid Gillman's offense that required the defense to defend the entire field.[4] The passing game was based on timing and rhythm, and coaching the system required a lot of repetition.[10] Coryell expanded on those principles by putting receivers in motion. With the new defensive rules limiting contact to near the line of scrimmage, receivers in motion would be virtually impossible to jam. Coryell not only placed wide receivers in motion, he did so with tight ends and running backs as well. Putting the players in motion also had the advantage of allowing the quarterback to determine pre-snap if the defense would be playing zone or man-to-man defense.[4] It was easier to read the coverage before the snap than afterwards due to the pass rush.[10] It is also harder for a defender to cover if he has to change direction with the receiver instead of squaring up and getting set before a play. Defenses that react to the motion could get confused, leaving a defender in the wrong position.[11]

The offense did not have any set formations, as receivers could line up anywhere on any given pass play.[4] Passes were thrown to a spot before the receiver even got there, allowing defenders no hint where the pass was being targeted.[12] Each receiver had two or three different route options they could adjust depending on the coverage during the play.[13] Throwing a deep pass was the first option on each play.[10] Coryell's offense had more progressions than Gillman's, with backup options for screen passes and underneath routes.[14]

The Coryell offense is a combination of deep and mid range passing and power running.[15] The offense relies on getting all five receivers out into patterns that combined stretched the field, setting up defensive backs with route technique, and the quarterback throwing to a spot on time where the receiver can catch and turn upfield. Pass protection is critical to success because at least two of the five receivers will run a deep in, skinny post, comeback, speed out, or shallow cross.

Overall, the goal of the Coryell offense is to have at least two downfield, fast wide receivers who adjust to the deep pass very well, combined with a sturdy pocket quarterback with a strong arm. The Coryell offense uses three key weapons. The first is a strong inside running game, the second is its ability to strike deep with two or more receivers on any play, and the third is to not only use those two attacks in cooperation with each other, but to include a great deal of mid-range passing to a TE, WR, or back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Who would make sense as QB coach under Scott Turner?

I kid.....  I don't know I'll research the ties shortly

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.44.15 PM.png

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Expect to see Turner run the Air Coyle offense, rather than the West Coast offense Gruden was known for.  We need to beef up the OL.  Haskins is going to need a lot of protection.

I haven't digested Scot in a full fledged way, yet.  But on a cursory look (I posted a youtube video on his playcalling earlier) he's more into spread looks than his dad.  Heavy presnap motion - sweeps like McVay.    But yeah I would assume the apple doesn't fall far off the tree as for play action, deep passes.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't digested Scot in a full fledged way, yet.  But on a cursory look (I posted a youtube video on his playcalling earlier) he's more into spread looks than his dad.  Heavy presnap motion - sweeps like McVay.    But yeah I would assume the apple doesn't fall far off the tree as for play action, deep passes.  

Yeah, I'm sure it will be a good mix of both.  We're so lucky we found Sims.  He'll be huge for the spread game.

• Like 2

Playing the conspiracy angle here, but it's obvious that KOC wants a different opp than here if indeed RR would keep him around.  Sure Haskins seemed to improve once we think KOC took control of the play-calling and game-planning but do you think maybe KOC knows Haskins' limits and would prefer to go serve with another QB?  More success and multiple successful offenses on different teams builds his resume (as Kyle did in Hou, with RG3 here, and Atl) before getting his own HC job before 40.  

I don't deny he has talent but he's starting to remind me of a title hungry job hopper in the corporate world.  We've all seen people come into our company at a higher title than their old gig, leave within a year or two at best for an even higher title/salary at another company without doing much good work or leaving anything concretely tangible from their time.  I'm just starting to get that vibe since the media hyped him so much here and so did our org which gave RR pause and an open mind to interview him to keep him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Expect to see Turner run the Air Coyle offense, rather than the West Coast offense Gruden was known for. 

Our biggest mistake in my opinion was switching to the WCO and 3-4 D with the Zorn hire. We were coming off of playoffs in 2 out of 3 years and blew it all up.

The Air Coryell offense was perfected by Gibbs. That's the Gibbs system. That's where our roots are.

I'm super pumped up.

• Like 3

Family background[edit]

Zampese's father, Ernie Zampese, spent 36 years as a coach in the NFL, spending time with the New York Jets, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, Washington Redskins, and both the Los Angeles Rams and St. Louis Rams. Ernie Zampese is known best for his role on the Chargers' offensive coaching staff in the 1970s and 1980s, when he helped engineer the famed "Air Coryell" offense. The "Air Coryell" offense—still considered one of the best passing offenses in NFL history—featured Hall of Famers Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner and Kellen Winslow, along with John Jefferson and Wes Chandler. These dynamic players operated in a scheme that led the league in passing yards an NFL-record six consecutive seasons (1978–1983).

He attended the University of San Diego from 1985 to 1988, where he played on the football team as a wide receiver, kick returner and punt returner. He was also a member of the Sigma Pi fraternity.[1]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I love this staff so far. 

Yup and Gibbs came from Air Coryell as well but it wasn't working so he got big ole Riggo to un-retire and the rest was history.  But you remember the long ball from Doug and Ryp in the SBs to our speedsters like Sanders.  Now we have Terry and Sims Jr to stretch the field.  I'm digging this system being shaped by the Gambler!!

Edited by RabidFan