Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I'm so glad they drafted this part time generational DE.  What a waste of a pick

We got too much good news going on to fret about it. Throw in Efe Obada or Andre Jones or James Smith Williams, or Casey toohill or hell bump Jon Allen out to left end - all of those combinations have shown to be destructive forces without CY  (not that I wouldn't love to have him back) 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

We don't need Chase.  Pay Sweat.  If I was GM, Chase would be on the trade block tomorrow morning.  

Wth are you going to get for him?  More value in giving him some pompoms and putting him out there w the spirit squad.  Course, the doc probably won’t clear him for that either.

Only trade value he MAY have will be later in the year for a team making a playoff push.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t even worry about Chase anymore. We don’t need him.

Also, there’s been a narrative among some that our coaches are to blame for Chase not developing. Based on the work they’ve done with the rest of our DL (including backups), I’m going to say it’s not the coaches’ fault.

You need to take some ownership in all this starting this damn thread before we even drafted him...🤨

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You need to take some ownership in all this starting this damn thread before we even drafted him...🤨

I do. I blame myself. There is a rumor, corroborated by many people in the know, that Ron wanted Herbert but this thread, and the fear of fan backlash, forced his hand.

30 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Wth are you going to get for him?  More value in giving him some pompoms and putting him out there w the spirit squad.  Course, the doc probably won’t clear him for that either.

Only trade value he MAY have will be later in the year for a team making a playoff push.  

Yeah, we’re not getting anything for him in a trade. Maybe we can get a compensatory pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I do. I blame myself. There is a rumor, corroborated by many people in the know, that Ron wanted Herbert but this thread, and the fear of fan backlash, forced his hand.

Yeah, we’re not getting anything for him in a trade. Maybe we can get a compensatory pick.

I was saying the same to @goskins10 a couple weeks ago.  We could've had Herbert and been 3 years ahead now with a QB (which is what we've desperately needed for decades.) 

Coulda been 3 years down on the road on an O-line (which seems to escape our scouts for some reason), but at least been "down the road".  Three years ago. 

I'm not angry, just sayin'. 

Happy with what I've got, tho.  Can't be upset after the fight Sammy put up today. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

🙄 you’re not getting anybody worth a damn for Chase.

IDK about that.  Pass rusher is the second most important position in football.  I think we can easily trade him for a 3rd.  We just can't afford both him and Sweat, and Sweat is clearly the better player.  Unless Ron thinks they can have a SB run next year (though Chase likely won't play without a LT deal).  

Edited by Daniel.redskins
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

IDK about that.  Pass rusher is the second most important position in football.  I think we can easily trade him for a 3rd.  We just can't afford both him and Sweat, and Sweat is clearly the better player.  Unless Ron thinks they can have a SB run next year (though Chase likely won't play without a LT deal).  

When was the last time he was a good pass rusher? 

I am not giving up on Chase yet, until I see what he looks like on the field when healthy again, however I am officially in the "if Chase turns out to be good, its a bonus" because honestly I think the D-line is still dominant without him AND....I really doubt management would be able to pay him AND Sweat premier DE money anyway so if the best case scenario happens which is a healthy Chase come back and dominates, we are losing one of 'em at the end of the season anyway and I would look to possibly trade one of them in order to get something.  

Sweat was playing out of his mind today, btw.

We are lucky that the D-line is super deep and can absorb the blow of Chase not working out.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

I (re)viewed the first two games of the 2021 season (his 2nd in the league), and regardless of the match ups, CY failed to place ANY QB pressure or beat OL. All of his blocking opponents looked good against him. Sweat often opposed the same Tackles and was considerably more effective in pressuring the QB. Compared to other DE's league wide, he appeared noticeably weak in overall effort and athletic ability.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Edge rusher is the last thing on our list anyway.  I don't gaf, somebody ****ed that up. 

• Like 1

First off regarding the people saying we should have taken Herbert, NOBODY in the organization considered Herbert AT ALL except I think maybe Marty Hurney. That has been confirmed by the press. There was 0 legitimate interest in Herbert and he was seen as an extremely risky prospect. Now hindsight being 50/50 and all(to quote the ol ball coach)he should have been given more consideration. Tua had the injury history and was risky as well. But its really silly to play that game.

People also pushed hard for Justin Fields and Trey Lance and neither look great right now. Fields still can't execute a real NFL passing offense and Lance got traded for a 4th rounder. Heck the guy I wanted was Zack Wilson and he was dog doo doo.

I still believe in Young. The DL was great today, but against the top tier OLs we're gonna need all hands on deck and Young can be the X Factor.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Yeah, didn't we extend him?  

For what?   He can't play with a neck injury now  I don't want him if he can't play. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

First off regarding the people saying we should have taken Herbert, NOBODY in the organization considered Herbert AT ALL except I think maybe Marty Hurney. That has been confirmed by the press. There was 0 legitimate interest in Herbert and he was seen as an extremely risky prospect.

The lesson I hope for here is if we need a QB to NOT do something like BPA and think we can just take care of QB some other way down the road, especially during a rebuild.

Case has been made repeatedly that Rivera wanted to give Haskins a chance, COVID interfered with evaluating him thoroughly, and I always felt if he actually did he'd of pushed to replace him immediately the same way Gibbs did with Ramsey when he got here.  He cut him before his first season with him was even finished yet.

We had the #2 pick in the draft, there was very few folks who said trade down to trade up in another year if 2020 wasn't the one to pick QB because of the high value of that pick. I was one of them and huge reason why is we have yet to have a pick that high since.  If the rebuild semi-worked, which is where we are now, it's be nearly impossible to get that high again because of getting mid-1st rounders instead of high-1st rounders.

I'm sorry, but it felt very early Ron had his mind made up on building around four 1st round picks on the dline even if we couldn't afford it.  Thats bad team building even I didn't want to admit it in 2020, once it was doneni hoped it worked out, too. 

It's not revisionist history to say that was always a bad idea in today's NFL without being damn sure we had QB addressed at minimum, maybe even regarldess, but too many folks wanted Chase to be bothered with if we could afford to keep the dline intact if he worked out anyway.  It wasn't we were in desperate need to replace Sweat, so it's ironic the level of near universal agreement to keep him over Chase right now.

Chase was never a need on a roster that had needs all over the place. Yet it was something we just "had to do"...thats the biggest myth of all in this matter, not what QB we coulda taken in 2020 instead...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

If we had gone QB in 2020, we would have picked Tua instead of Herbert.  Nobody had Herbert above Tua on their boards.  But Tua was coming off the Bo Jackson injury.  Herbert over Chase is 100% hindsight bias.  Would anyone here rather have Tua than Chase and Howell?

At the end of the day, Chase only looks like a bust because he got a devastating knee injury and hasn't been able to really get back onto the field ever since.  You can't predict that stuff on draft day.  Otherwise he was one of the best college edge prospects I've ever seen, and he was a Probowler as a rookie.  We're not second guessing that pick today, and instead we're feeling great about our future if not for that knee injury.

Football is a brutal game, particularly at the NFL level.  One behavior that is always disappointing is when fans mock and blame players for getting injured.  It's the trashiest ****ing behavior and it's always been normal around here.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

One behavior that is always disappointing is when fans mock and blame players for getting injured.  It's the trashiest ****ing behavior and it's always been normal around here.

It’s a by-product of consistent losing, sadly, and happens across all sports - seen it in the EPL often. What makes sport great as we all know is that emotional reward reaching euphoria at times in the right circumstances. As we also know, however, the flip side can get particular ugly when things are going bad and whilst criticism is understandable when rational / reasonable I’ve always found any dismissiveness by fans towards players who unfortunately find themselves unable to stay healthy, and especially early into their careers, particularly disappointing. 

For me, knowing we have a legit defensive front without Chase is more than enough and if he contributes to that further upon his return then even better. If not? The respective parties move on and we haven’t lost anything - anyone who says “except a high first rounder”, btw, that’s just football and there’s very few if any teams who don’t have to bite that bullet. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Otherwise he was one of the best college edge prospects I've ever seen, and he was a Probowler as a rookie.  We're not second guessing that pick today, and instead we're feeling great about our future if not for that knee injury.

Before his knee injury he looked rather ineffective that 2021 season. He wasn't called Chase Dung because of a knee injury dude.

• Like 3