Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

But when you watch actual gameplay you didn't see a dominant player.

Oh yes I did.  I've watched tons of college d linemen over the past thirteen years, and I would stake my experience and perspective and eye for talent about college linemen against any other layman.  Chase Young's sophomore and junior season film was as good and as dominant as any I'd ever seen.  He was memorably dominant in college, like Aaron Donald.  Film better even than Myles Garrett's.  Way better than Nick Bosa's and Von Miller's and JJ Watt's, and I don't know anyone who saw JJ Watt coming as well as I did, or banged the table for him like I did.  Chase had a devastating knee injury that altered the trajectory of his NFL career.  But it's absurd to try and rewrite the past to pretend like he wasn't one of the easiest to see coming transcendent DL prospects of the past decade.  His college film was spectacular and everyone in the world who covered that draft understood he was the best non QB prospect in that class, and one of the best DL prospects in years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

16 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Oh yes I did.  I've watched tons of college d linemen over the past thirteen years, and I would stake my experience and perspective and eye for talent about college linemen against any other layman.  Chase Young's sophomore and junior season film was as good and as dominant as any I'd ever seen.  He was memorably dominant in college, like Aaron Donald.  Film better even than Myles Garrett's.  Way better than Nick Bosa's and Von Miller's and JJ Watt's, and I don't know anyone who saw JJ Watt coming as well as I did, or banged the table for him like I did.  Chase had a devastating knee injury that altered the trajectory of his NFL career.  But it's absurd to try and rewrite the past to pretend like he wasn't one of the easiest to see coming transcendent DL prospects of the past decade.  His college film was spectacular and everyone in the world who covered that draft understood he was the best non QB prospect in that class, and one of the best DL prospects in years.

Yeah man people are crazy with these hindsight takes. Young was as sure thing slam dunk a defensive player as there has ever been and surely looked the part his rookie year.

I do think he's a bit immature and he let that early success get to his head a bit, and that coupled with the injury derailed him a bit, but I'm still a believer in his talent.

I truly believe he'll ball out like crazy this year. What happens after that in regards to his future HERE though, well I'm not too sure...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I do think he's a bit immature and he let that early success get to his head a bit, and that coupled with the injury derailed him a bit, but I'm still a believer in his talent.

This is what every one of us were saying about RG3 in the fall of 2013.  Hopefully the ending for Young pans out a little better.  

I'm rooting for him, but I'll believe it when I see it.  And there is no way he should be wearing a C over Allen or Payne.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, illone said:

CY gonna have a great year. 

i think the team is setup w plenty of cap space to pay him, Sweat and Kurl. 

the key is having a low QB salary the next few years. 

Yep there really is no excuse if you're not paying a big time QB. 

On 7/28/2023 at 7:42 PM, Going Commando said:

Here is the rub though. CY was a more exsplosivness athlete than the Bosa brother's. But, the Bosa brother's mastered OH ST defensive line coach Larry Johnson"s hand fighting techniques, which obviously was taught to CY too. I think we all were hoping to see explosiveness and a hand technician from CY in the Pros. That has not happened (yet). What I have seen from Pro CY is, the majority of the time, trying to speed rush the outside and going to wide or a bullrush minus the Bosa hand techniques. Fingers 🤞 that he can do both this year, because he has the hand strength to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HIYA_Beach_Warpath said:

Here is the rub though. CY was a more exsplosivness athlete than the Bosa brother's. But, the Bosa brother's mastered OH ST defensive line coach Larry Johnson"s hand fighting techniques, which obviously was taught to CY too. I think we all were hoping to see explosiveness and a hand technician from CY in the Pros. That has not happened (yet). What I have seen from Pro CY is, the majority of the time, trying to speed rush the outside and going to wide or a bullrush minus the Bosa hand techniques. Fingers 🤞 that he can do both this year, because he has the hand strength to do it.

That's the reason I think he went back to OHST to work with LJ.. time will tell I suppose

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, HIYA_Beach_Warpath said:

A year late IMHO

Dude won rookie of the year.  People forget he was so good Tomlin said he hoped he was never in a position to draft a guy as talented. 

It went to his head and he had a bad sophomore year and then had, by all accounts, a devastating knee injury.  I don’t think he could have done this last year.  

The problem is he picked up some bad habits between year 1 and 3, and the question is where.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Redskins/WFT/Commanders Park same as a lot of other past draft choices. 🤭

I’m not sure that’s true.  Because Chase didn’t work out with the team, skipped OTAs and Ron basically said “he’s not doing what we’re coaching him to do.”

I remember stories he was working out somewhere with some external coach and the coaching staff tried to un-teach him from what he was doing. 

• Like 1

Can we PLEASE stop using the injury as the reason he was ineffective last season.  The year he blew out his knee he played in 9 game and had 1.5 sacks.  He was playing like a below average DE before the injury guys.  

I'll say it until I am blue in the face because nobody responds when I point this out.  After he was drafted I went back and looked at his college tape.  He made so many plays by being the first off the ball, I froze several videos and he was already off when everyone else on both lines were still in their down position. For whatever reason he was not able to transition this quick first step into the NFL.  Most every great edge rusher has that and this is why he can't get the edge and is constantly run behind the QB by the LT.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have no big contracts at QB or OL, nor will we for a while. Not even at CB do we have a big contract, nor will we.

Y'all are really over reacting to this "pay all four" stuff.

Agreed. I don't buy the whole "you can't pay a bunch of guys at the same position!" non sense. Just pay good football players. As long as they're starting and/or receiving significant snaps, they're helping you win.

If you aren't paying a QB, there is NO EXCUSE to not pay your top players.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dude won rookie of the year.  People forget he was so good Tomlin said he hoped he was never in a position to draft a guy as talented. 

It went to his head and he had a bad sophomore year and then had, by all accounts, a devastating knee injury.  I don’t think he could have done this last year.  

The problem is he picked up some bad habits between year 1 and 3, and the question is where.  

Thanks for the history lesson.

Dudes Rookie year, good year for a rookie 7.5 sacks, ranks him 27 in NFL. He did it on his athleticism not as a technician (i.e Bosa) 

2nd year: Dude misses Ota's, makes commercials, has his maturity questioned because in the Not For Long league, you better be constantly honing your skills.

Dude has super slow start and league OL has caught up to him a bit . Dude then has devastating injury.

If I was Dude, after the season and rehab, I would have went back to Larry Johnson and sat in a freaking chair and worked on my Hand technique.

I'm not sure what Dude did. 

3rd year: Comes back at the end of season with bad wheel, and still trys speed rush outside but when OL got their hands on him, he was done.

Hence my statement of year to late.

Here ends the history lesson.

So when you say picked up bad habits, I would say he hasn't put in the time to expand his repertoire of moves. 

I'm not hating on Dude, but Im not happy with Dude either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If you aren't paying a QB, there is NO EXCUSE to not pay your top players.

I'm inclined to agree with you, and I will be honest and say I don't have the exact contract dates here, but that's fine, unless Howell is not the answer. Then next year we are either drafting, trading for, or signing a Free Agent QB and Left Tackle. Two of the most expensive positions. I hope the Sweat/Young decision will need to be made before then because if not we're definitely not keeping all four DL.

And it would be so "Redskins" to re-sign Sweat and Young and then realise we can't sign a QB and LT. Then where are we?!

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We need more high draft picks, regardless of how these guys play. We may need a QB (but I don't think so), OT (and more Oline) and LBer (including a pass rusher).

Ron and team are beaming with confidence this season. Yes, it’s that time of year, but the energy building up seems real. Especially if your boy Howell provides competence at the QB spot year one of starting. 

If Howell comes through, Washington will have a chance to compete against your Eagles. Will come down to which QB can manage the immense pressure the opposing defenses bring. Good thing Howell is special on the run. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Ron and team are beaming with confidence this season. Yes, it’s that time of year, but the energy building up seems real. Especially if your boy Howell provides competence at the QB spot year one of starting. 

If Howell comes through, Washington will have a chance to compete against your Eagles. Will come down to which QB can manage the immense pressure the opposing defenses bring. Good thing Howell is special on the run. 

The Eagles invest heavily at Oline. Our defense vs their offense will be fun to watch. Riddick I bet has that game and a rematch with Wylie circled on the calander.

Optimism might be high. But we're still at best a .500 team. We're looking towards the future. Eagles are making another run.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Eagles invest heavily at Oline. Our defense vs their offense will be fun to watch. Riddick I bet has that game and a rematch with Wylie circled on the calander.

Optimism might be high. But we're still at best a .500 team. We're looking towards the future. Eagles are making another run.

.500 team with a mediocre QB.

If QB is competent and can create with his legs, what then? :)

Dual threat QBs equal great Oline scores, hopefully Howell allows Washington to enter this category. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Eagles are really lucky they hit the lottery twice in the 7th round (Above average LT and HoF C).

They invest heavily on DL, but I don't think they have quite the same desire to invest in OL. Of their last six 1st rounders, 3 have been on DL and 3 on WR.

They have done some 2nd rounders but that's more to replace their HoF C whenever he retires.

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Eagles are really lucky they hit the lottery twice in the 7th round (Above average LT and HoF C).

They invest heavily on DL, but I don't think they have quite the same desire to invest in OL. Of their last six 1st rounders, 3 have been on DL and 3 on WR.

They have done some 2nd rounders but that's more to replace their HoF C whenever he retires.

23- 3rd round OT

22- 2nd round IOL

21- 2nd round IOL

20- 4rth round IOL

19- 1rst round OT

18- 2 7th round OTs (which one hit)

16- 3rd round IOL

and this is when they already had Kelce (a 6th rounder like Roullier they developed),, Lane Johnson and Jason Peters.

Commanders

23- 3rd and 4rth round IOL (when it's our biggest need)

22- 7th round IOL

21- 2nd round OT

20-4rth round OT bust and 5th IOL we let walk

19- 4rth and 5th IOL

18- 3rd round OT

17- 6tgh round IOL who was really goodbut injuries

16- nuthin'

They prioritize OLine and keep their talent. We've let a top 3 OT and top 5 OG leave and a top 10 OC had to retire.

I wish we didn't invest in OLine like they do.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

23- 3rd round OT

22- 2nd round IOL

21- 2nd round IOL

20- 4rth round IOL

19- 1rst round OT

18- 2 7th round OTs (which one hit)

16- 3rd round IOL

and this is when they already had Kelce (a 6th rounder like Roullier they developed),, Lane Johnson and Jason Peters.

Commanders

23- 3rd and 4rth round IOL (when it's our biggest need)

22- 7th round IOL

21- 2nd round OT

20-4rth round OT bust and 5th IOL we let walk

19- 4rth and 5th IOL

18- 3rd round OT

17- 6tgh round IOL who was really goodbut injuries

16- nuthin'

They prioritize OLine and keep their talent. We've let a top 3 OT and top 5 OG leave and a top 10 OC had to retire.

I wish we didn't invest in OLine like they do.

Oh didn't realize Kelce was a 6th and not a 7th. Definitely not saying we approach OL the same as them. Just saying the Eagles strategy clearly gives defensive priority to DL and offensive priority to WR.

I'm curious about what happens if their corner duo falters at the same time as Lane Johnson retires. They don't really have (I think) any OT depth/pipeline developing. Their 3rd round OL pick seems to only be practicing as a RG. James Bradberry is 30 and Darius Slay is 32. They're at the age where sudden drop offs are possible. I feel like the Eagles know what they can scout well, and have stuck to just that recently. They haven't really touched OT since Andre Dillard busted in 2019, and haven't touched CB's since their 2nd/3rd round pair in 2017 busted (at least in Philly).

Trent should’ve been a lifetime Washington player. He will play until he’s nearly 40. 

There were debates on this board if he was top five or even top ten at his position. Injuries were highly over criticized, it’s a part of football and none of the injuries to his lower extremities.

When he hangs it up, he’ll have a strong contingent backing him as one of the greatest LTs of all time. Losing Trent was brutal. Obviously, a lot was going with his situation, but he should’ve been offered a ridiculous amount of money to stay. 

PAY THE ELITE! 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 3