Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

I hope that JDR uses Chase in some packages that feature him at DT and allows Toney to be used as at DE at times.  As I have posted before, JDR has been given a lot of toys to work with player wise and can be very creative even more so now.  A lot to be excited about.  

I keep mentioning the Giants SB team and our alignment would probably be chase and Allen at DT with Sweat and maybe Kerrigan or Toney or whatever at end. Sounds pretty fun.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I keep mentioning the Giants SB team and our alignment would probably be chase and Allen at DT with Sweat and maybe Kerrigan or Toney or whatever at end. Sounds pretty fun.

I think Chase is wasted inside. And we have too much inside talent to justify that move, other than as an occasional scheme twist. 

But I wouldn’t mind Toney blitzing from the Sam spot, outside Chase and Montez. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think Chase is wasted inside. And we have too much inside talent to justify that move, other than as an occasional scheme twist. 

But I wouldn’t mind Toney blitzing from the Sam spot, outside Chase and Montez. 

Yes, a situational pass rush formation. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, a situational pass rush formation. 

I love Chase rushing inside, but more on a delayed blitz, stunt, twist type situation. His quickness/lateral agility is really a lot for a guard to handle in that situation.

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I love Chase rushing inside, but more on a delayed blitz, stunt, twist type situation. His quickness/lateral agility is really a lot for a guard to handle in that situation.

In an all pass rush with multiple DEs on the line (giants used 4), Chase can still be effective, as opposed to Sweat or Kerrigan (if he resigns).

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

In an all pass rush with multiple DEs on the line (giants used 4), Chase can still be effective, as opposed to Sweat or Kerrigan (if he resigns).

I guess my argument would be that the Giants didn’t have the DT’s we have. Ioannidis is a 10 sack guy in this defense, minimum. I still think Jonathan Allen has that in him too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I guess my argument would be that the Giants didn’t have the DT’s we have. Ioannidis is a 10 sack guy in this defense, minimum. I still think Jonathan Allen has that in him too. 

That I'd agree with, sure, but you can't beat speed. Granted we don't have the excess of pass rushers that the giants did. We have a glut of pass rushing DTs.

I'm really excited to see what Payne can do this year. 

The best pass rushing duo on this team will be Ioannidis and Young

WIth better hands, better technique, and specifically a better bull rush, Chase will be dominant. I think we all agree he can be a top defensive player in the league, and it might not take long. 

I expect Ioannidis to have done his homework and people forget how dominant a pass rusher he is. That interior pressure will only further help Chase Young. 

Man I wish we were healthy against that Cleveland OL in week 3. I believe that's the week Chase had his groin injury and Ioannidis got his season ending injury. That would have been an excellent benchmark to see how good this DL really was. Ioannidis has the length/power/speed combo that none of our DTs have, on top of that his motor is just non-stop, the guy could have went off for 10 sacks last year if he was healthy.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd want Ion in there.  Given how fast Chase is, maybe flex him back a bit between Ion and either Payne or Allen, then let him rip.

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I dont think so, Allen gets more pressures and sacks than Payne does. 

Pressure and sacks aren't the only measure. They have 2 different responsibilities. Payne definitely eats blocks better than Allen and is better against the run, but Allen has one of the best PR win rates for all DTs. They're extremely complimentary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pressure and sacks aren't the only measure. They have 2 different responsibilities. Payne definitely eats blocks better than Allen and is better against the run, but Allen has one of the best PR win rates for all DTs. They're extremely complimentary. 

Meh, pretty much every measure says Allen is the better pass rusher. Its not a knock against Payne at all. 

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree that he's the better pass rusher. 

If Allen wasn't suddenly the most unathetlic guy on the defense he'd be a 10 sack a year DT, he's soo slow though. There's been so many "almost sacks" with him but he just doesn't have that burst and QBs seem to have just enough time to throw the ball away. Dude is really skilled and understands leverage though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If Allen wasn't suddenly the most unathetlic guy on the defense he'd be a 10 sack a year DT, he's soo slow though. There's been so many "almost sacks" with him but he just doesn't have that burst and QBs seem to have just enough time to throw the ball away. Dude is really skilled and understands leverage though. 

Top 5 in almost: ols:

But pressure is a great thing and there is no stepping into the pocket when he's playing well. That's for sure.

It's going to be interesting to see how we use Davis and Collins now, because we should be able to shoot the gaps faster with those two.

I definitely agree that Allen has 10 sack potential. Contract year too. Hopefully Iaonnidias stays healthy, because that's a great rotation of 3 guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Top 5 in almost: ols:

But pressure is a great thing and there is no stepping into the pocket when he's playing well. That's for sure.

It's going to be interesting to see how we use Davis and Collins now, because we should be able to shoot the gaps faster with those two.

I definitely agree that Allen has 10 sack potential. Contract year too. Hopefully Iaonnidias stays healthy, because that's a great rotation of 3 guys.

Should be easy cleanup duty for those two hopefully.

I could be wrong here but I feel like Allen was lighter in college and a bit more explosive because of it. Im not sure what weight he is now but I think 280-285 is probably perfect playing weight for him but I could see the concern of him potentially getting pushed around some. 

I do love our DT rotation, we're super lucky honestly, most teams don't even have two good DTs but we have 3, potentially 4 depending on who you ask. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Should be easy cleanup duty for those two hopefully.

I could be wrong here but I feel like Allen was lighter in college and a bit more explosive because of it. Im not sure what weight he is now but I think 280-285 is probably perfect playing weight for him but I could see the concern of him potentially getting pushed around some. 

I do love our DT rotation, we're super lucky honestly, most teams don't even have two good DTs but we have 3, potentially 4 depending on who you ask. 

Settle is alright in run support. I think some fans rank him a lot higher than they should, but that's one of those ESisms.  :ols:

depending on who our DE3 is this year, we have 6/7 guys who start and excel on most teams, which is amazing. 

that rotation is why we took over in the second half of the games we won. If we can score first and get half time leads, we shouldn't lose. 

• Like 3

IMO our secondary wasted a lot of the effort from the D line last year. It seems like RR & Co felt the same way considering the additions made (and anticipated). 

Coverage was our weakest spot, upgrades to LB/FS/CB ought to help, forcing opponents to hold the ball that crucial one second longer. Rewatching games has me seeing a ton of opportunities where if the LBs cover underneath, the safeties read the play better, even only marginally better, a whole bunch of almosts become alrights!

Our D is so much more than "Chase should just sack the QB every play".

Sometimes it can be worth it to stop and remember that this was Ron's first year, inheriting a flaming dumpster of issues, and juggling them all well enough to be playing meaningful games at the end of the season. Gotta see what you have and how best to use it, oh yeah, along with building culture and camaraderie in the locker room to teach young guys how to be a team.

We have come so far so fast it it easy to overlook all the foundational work this staff has done.  

• Like 7