Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

9 hours ago, steve09ru said:

His speed on that burrows hit was insane.  He was opposite side of the field, drove the oline back to cause burrows to rollout and run and then he completely shifted back and took a linebacker angle at that- absolutely insane

Yeah that was a standout play. He also looked like one nasty, angry fired up mother ****er on that play. Great intensity.

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

It was a sarcastic response to his in depth answer to my original statement.

It was? Who knew?

Benching Young, who made a gigantic impact, for a guy who is benefitting from being fresh is a colossal error. Why that needs to be explained is beyond me.

• Like 3

He had a good series there and that forced fumble hit at the goal line was definitely the game changing play you like to see. But through 8 games he hasn't even come close to producing behind the line of scrimmage that you'd like to see from a #2 can't pass up draft pick. Another game where he didn't really do anything in the backfield, although that tackle on the same series on the RB started in the back field which was I think his only contact back there. Just looks like a class below the Nick Bosa type of DEs when it comes to dominating the line of scrimmage and causing havoc in the backfield. Oh well, maybe he's a late bloomer and will turn it on after some experience.

Im not saying we all hoped Chase Young wouldnt have more impressive numbers on this point.  Im not even saying any team success is directly attributable to him.

But we were terrible without him, and now we are #1 in pass D, #6 in total defense, and top 10 in points allowed with an offense giving away free field position.  If he gets double teamed every play freeing up other players to make plays thats just as good as if he makes the sacks himself.  This D is 20 ranks higher in just about every category over last season, and the only changes are Fuller, Chase Young, and Del Rio.  So its either all Fuller, all Del Rio, or maybe, just maybe, those 3 have each had a huge impact in how this team plays.  The last thing Im doing right now is criticizing anyone involved in this teams Pass D.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I feel like the people still complaining that one single player is only carrying half the defense instead of the whole defense are just being sarcastic. I feel that way, and I choose to believe it because the alternative makes me sad.

I honestly don't know what the alternative can be that makes you sad? Are you saying there has to be some agenda other than just concern over the lack of production in the back field? I don't get it.

1 hour ago, GOATFrerotte said:

He had a good series there and that forced fumble hit at the goal line was definitely the game changing play you like to see. But through 8 games he hasn't even come close to producing behind the line of scrimmage that you'd like to see from a #2 can't pass up draft pick. Another game where he didn't really do anything in the backfield, although that tackle on the same series on the RB started in the back field which was I think his only contact back there. Just looks like a class below the Nick Bosa type of DEs when it comes to dominating the line of scrimmage and causing havoc in the backfield. Oh well, maybe he's a late bloomer and will turn it on after some experience.

You still just don’t get it. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You still just don’t get it. 

Oh I get it. I'm just talking about him as a #2 pick in the draft and not some developmental player. I mean he's hit the qb 4 times all year. In comparison Bosa had 14 hits on the qb in his first 8 games last year. The lack of production in the backfield should be a concern to anyone. Because they aren't just disappointing numbers, they are really bad, especially the last 6 games.

50 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I honestly don't know what the alternative can be that makes you sad? Are you saying there has to be some agenda other than just concern over the lack of production in the back field? I don't get it.

When people are expecting a rookie defensive end to make up for the lack of production from 3 linebackers and 2 safeties? I don't know if I'd call it agenda, but I would call it nonsense. If he's to play for his own position AND make up for 5 others, he's going to need a hell of a paycheck when his contract expires.

I know people have joked about FA signings by asking "can he play linebacker" or "can he play safety", but to expect him to hit the QB every down would require him to do exactly that.

Chase Young and the rest of the D-Line are what's forcing QBs to throw early. It's their job, and they're getting it done. It's on the rest of the team to actually use that to their advantage; of our starting LBs and safeties, Jon Bostic is the highest drafted player in round 2. Nobody else was drafted above round 4. It is not shocking that they can't keep up.

Everybody here wants to see the QBs get smacked around, but the only way that happens for the best of defenses is if the QB holds onto the ball for longer than 3 seconds. That simply isn't going to happen when our linebackers and safeties are leaving wide open field to be picked apart.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

When people are expecting a rookie defensive end to make up for the lack of production from 3 linebackers and 2 safeties? I don't know if I'd call it agenda, but I would call it nonsense. If he's to play for his own position AND make up for 5 others, he's going to need a hell of a paycheck when his contract expires.

I know people have joked about FA signings by asking "can he play linebacker" or "can he play safety", but to expect him to hit the QB every down would require him to do exactly that.

Chase Young and the rest of the D-Line are what's forcing QBs to throw early. It's their job, and they're getting it done. It's on the rest of the team to actually use that to their advantage; of our starting LBs and safeties, Jon Bostic is the highest drafted player in round 2. Nobody else was drafted above round 4. It is not shocking that they can't keep up.

Everybody here wants to see the QBs get smacked around, but the only way that happens for the best of defenses is if the QB holds onto the ball for longer than 3 seconds. That simply isn't going to happen when our linebackers and safeties are leaving wide open field to be picked apart.

Seriously. It's like if the DL aren't getting to the QB in less then .5 of a second then they're not doing their job. The lack of LB and S makes it so easy for a competent QB to be able to just get the ball out immediately. I'd almost rather our corners be the biggest liability because letting receivers run downfield still requires time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Also, i keep hearing about these 3 lbers, but I would say more often than not we are in nickle.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-defensive-personnel-analysis

This article is from two year ago and basically it's saying what I've been seeing with my eyes. We rarely have 3 lbers on the field. We generally seem to run a 6 man front with 2 linebackers.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

When people realize that quick releases prevent QB hits, let me know. I’ll jump in the convo then...

It was pretty clear between Burrow and his replacement who got the ball out quick, and who got sacked multiple times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd rather the secondary just play aggressive off the LOS and if they get burned then they get burned. But this soft, prevent is like a death by a thousand papercuts. 

That was my semi-sarcastic answer agreeing with KDawg that the conversation about Young being 'minimized' due to quick releases and the fact that his 'lack of impact' is not an indictment on him directly was extremely shallow and lacking nuance. 

I actually agree with you.  I would love to see what our defense can do in press, even if you want to just press the line and drop into zone.  Something to get the WR off their route.  Watching our zone get carved up like it's nobodies business is enough to make you want to bang your head against the wall.  That said, I can understand the thought process of forcing your opponent to put together long sustained drives... it's not that easy, and when they're able to do it, the defense is gassed.  I actually like our Corners.  Fuller and Darby are talented enough to stay with a lot of the WRs in the NFL.  Cincy has some studs in Boyd and Higgins, and Dallas is stacked at WR so I don't know that I want to put them on islands on Thursday... especially if it opens up the run game forcing your DBs to turn and run in man coverage... not being able to keep their eyes down hill.  

Edited by OVCChairman

Chase was double-teamed and had his back to Burrow when Burrow first took off.  Chase then spins around, he sees Burrow go, and then himself spins out of the double team and runs in an arc to get into perfect position to force the fumble (assist to Apke).  Chase Young took 7 points off the board (assist to the right goal post).  THAT play is what you get with the #2 overall that you don't get with the next best guy.

Edited by GothSkinsFan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That was my semi-sarcastic answer agreeing with KDawg that the conversation about Young being 'minimized' due to quick releases and the fact that his 'lack of impact' is not an indictment on him directly was extremely shallow and lacking nuance. 

I actually agree with you.  I would love to see what our defense can do in press, even if you want to just press the line and drop into zone.  Something to get the WR off their route.  Watching our zone get carved up like it's nobodies business is enough to make you want to bang your head against the wall.  That said, I can understand the thought process of forcing your opponent to put together long sustained drives... it's not that easy, and when they're able to do it, the defense is gassed.  I actually like our Corners.  Fuller and Darby are talented enough to stay with a lot of the WRs in the NFL.  Cincy has some studs in Boyd and Higgins, and Dallas is stacked at WR so I don't know that I want to put them on islands on Thursday... especially if it opens up the run game forcing your DBs to turn and run in man coverage... not being able to keep their eyes down hill.  

I don’t understand the long drives. If you’re going to give them up all game then your offense has to either do the same or your defense is gonna be toast but the third quarter. Whats the point of giving Fuller this money or drafting Moreau high if you have no faith they can do at least a competent job against Gallup? Let them sink or swim because right now they may as well just have practice squad guys out there making the (occasional) tackle and beef up everywhere else. Leave a backer on Eliot all game and make Dallas use their TE to beat us.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

I don’t understand the long drives. If you’re going to give them up all game then your offense has to either do the same or your defense is gonna be toast but the third quarter. Whats the point of giving Fuller this money or drafting Moreau high if you have no faith they can do at least a competent job against Gallup? Let them sink or swim because right now they may as well just have practice squad guys out there making the (occasional) tackle and beef up everywhere else. Leave a backer on Eliot all game and make Dallas use their TE to beat us.

I know, I didn't say I wanted it to continue, just that I can see the point.  It's not easy to sustain a 12 - 15 play drive over and over and over.  The more plays you run, the more chances of a mistake or a pressed stop on 3rd down.  It's a rough system to run when you don't have the additional underneath coverage of the LBs, and concerns over the middle with your safeties.  It leaves gaps and holes.  The THEORY is that you get a pass rush home before the WR can get to the spot... well when the opposing offense can keep 7 guys in to block 4 guys... the QB has all day early in the game to pick you apart.  The field then gets smaller in the Redzone, so the windows are tighter, and this 'could' be the justification in the locker room... that "but did they score though" argument.  

I worry the same way you do.  To do that is asking your defense to just hold on tight... can't really get any pressure this way, and we just kind of let the game come to us... not the other way around.   

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

The field then gets smaller in the Redzone, so the windows are tighter, and this 'could' be the justification in the locker room... that "but did they score though" argument.

We’re the 5th best red zone defense in the NFL currently which speaks to what we’re able to do when a QB needs more time to be precise. We’re always getting pressure when they’re close. It’s not rocket surgery. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

We’re the 5th best red zone defense in the NFL currently which speaks to what we’re able to do when a QB needs more time to be precise. We’re always getting pressure when they’re close. It’s not rocket surgery. 

I agree, I just wish we could scheme up that between the 20s...

45 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Alright, I honestly had no clue where you were going with the comment about the alternative reasons. If this is the case, that's fair. Maybe it's because he's triple teamed, the rest of the team sucks around him, the qb is throwing the ball too quickly, he's playing injured, whatever it is he's not producing in the backfield. 5 tackles for loss and hitting the qb 4 times and knocking him down once in half a season just throws up red flags for me and not the kind of production I expected from him.

8 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Alright, I honestly had no clue where you were going with the comment about the alternative reasons. If this is the case, that's fair. Maybe it's because he's triple teamed, the rest of the team sucks around him, the qb is throwing the ball too quickly, he's playing injured, whatever it is he's not producing in the backfield. 5 tackles for loss and hitting the qb 4 times and knocking him down once in half a season just throws up red flags for me and not the kind of production I expected from him.

Well, let me ask you. Zeke Elliot is on pace for like 1050 yards and is on pace to have his lowest YPC by a mile. He's clearly not having the same level of production we're used to seeing from him. Those numbers are especially bad since the OL had injury concerns and since Dak went out. How much of that is Zeke? If they're stacking 8 in the box to minimize his productivity, does that mean he's not good anymore? No. It's a team sport and being a disruptive force without the actual stats doesn't mean you're not doing your job.

• Like 2