Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Bezos & Amazon Want In ...On the Redskins?

Conn

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If you haven't figured this out by now, DC is at minimum giving mixed signals and has since Obama left.  I gave you a direct quote from a month ago showing the Mayor wants the Redskins at the RFK site, directly contrasting her chief of staff from your article two months ago.  They are negotiating in broad daylight with threats of what they will do at the same time what she really wants.

But you realize the proposal was altered to include mixed development use?  Stadium provisions were already in the proposed 99 year lease extension.

According to multiple sources who spoke to WAMU on the condition that they not be named, the likely proposal would grant D.C. a 99-year extension over the current RFK lease, which is set to end in 2038. It would also tweak the lease’s language so that the campus could be used for commercial development, not just sports and entertainment as is currently the case.

https://wamu.org/story/18/12/10/bowser-teams-up-with-republicans-to-win-control-of-rfk-campus/

So what makes you think the end game is just the team?  They'd still have to navigate the name controversy.  Then Dan would also have to somehow fund it himself (which would defeat the entire purpose).  

Bowser didn’t share any details about a potential stadium deal but said the “model” would be the D.C. United agreement, in which the city provided the land to the team free on a long-term lease and the team was responsible for building the stadium.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/bring-it-home-bowser-snyder-speak-glowingly-of-rfk-site-for-next-redskins-stadium/2018/08/29/02634188-abbd-11e8-8a0c-70b618c98d3c_story.html

You have no idea what you are dealing with and are ignoring my first post in this thread.  People die in his warehouses and kay in the floor for 20 minutes and pregnant women have miscarriages because management ignores their doctors notes for different work restrictions.  You don't want to look at what make this man so controversial because you don't care, just showing your true colors here.

Isn't it ironic, that you can judge me for a few words on a forum...but refuse to pass judgement on someone that's displayed 20 years of incompetence?  That says more about you than me.  

Warehouses are dangerous places to work.  Do you think Bezos set an organizational directive for women to give birth in warehouses? You can assign him blame for allowing it to happen, but don't act like he was complicit.  That's utterly ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, megared said:

But you realize the proposal was altered to include mixed development use?  Stadium provisions were already in the proposed 99 year lease extension.

https://wamu.org/story/18/12/10/bowser-teams-up-with-republicans-to-win-control-of-rfk-campus/

So what makes you think the end game is just the team?  They'd still have to navigate the name controversy.  Then Dan would also have to somehow fund it himself (which would defeat the entire purpose).  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/bring-it-home-bowser-snyder-speak-glowingly-of-rfk-site-for-next-redskins-stadium/2018/08/29/02634188-abbd-11e8-8a0c-70b618c98d3c_story.html

Whens the last time DC government has brought up the name? They are asking for it putting a Mall next to the stadium, the biggest reason the new proposed stadium is that small is to account for lack of ways to get to that location.  It's a bad idea to try to get 100k people in and out of that area 8 times a year.

2 minutes ago, megared said:

Isn't it ironic, that you can judge me for a few words on a forum...but refuse to pass judgement on someone that's displayed 20 years of incompetence?  That says more about you than me.  

Warehouses are dangerous places to work.  Do you think Bezos set an organizational directive for women to give birth in warehouses? You can assign him blame for allowing it to happen, but don't act like he was complicit.  That's utterly ridiculous.  

I never judged you, you saying stuff i didn't post and I'm calling you out in what you did post.  If you aren't even going to read into what I'm talking about, and was originally brushing this off as people peeing in water bottles, no, i don't think you care.  I don't think you care he took health insurance from part time employees at whole foods after buying the company, which i already posted about in this thread.  You think Bezos doesn't know or cares?  Isn't that the problem we gave with Snyder?

1. This is about Bezos interest in the franchise. If Elon was interested, I’d of course choose him. But Bezos is in play, Musk is not. 

2. Id argue that Snyder’s biggest sin is choosing the Incorrect team management, and pissing off the local media by buying abc locking them out. Everything else is no different than most other franchise owners. 

Cerrato and Allen have done considerable harm to the team. But I don’t think Snyder was wrong about forcing shanahan to start RGIII over cousins. Look at Baltimore’s success. That failure lies in the MarA incident and Unfortunate happenstance. Allowing shanahan to replace Gregg Williams with Haslett, making a top 10 4-3 defense into a 3-4 while forcing a $100 million DT into the nose tackle position was a mistake of epic proportions. Nor do I think Snyder is wrong about Haskins. 

Once the team is good again, the fan experience will get better. It’s that simple. But sometime simple things like removing Allen or Cerrato are like pulling teeth. And for that, Dan deserves the criticism. 

10 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Sure. The best owners hire the right people and then GTFO the way. If he wants to buy the team, hire a great GM, and then spend his days running his business while the football side takes care of its self, that would be perfect. 

I know you have people co-signing your post.  But what does Bezos know about hiring the best football minds?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whens the last time DC government has brought up the name? They are asking for it putting a Mall next to the stadium, the biggest reason the new proposed stadium is that small is to account for lack of ways to get to that location.  It's a bad idea to try to get 100k people in and out of that area 8 times a year.

All they're doing is leaving their options open.  In the end, Dan's going to jump at the place that's going to provide him significant funding for the stadium.  DC is nothing beyond a backup plan, unless Dan gets an angel investor.  The mayor wanting it, doesn't change the fact that neighborhood residents don't.  The Council generally doesn't.  It'd be a shame if an area, ripe for economic development, hamstrung themselves in efforts to subsidize a billionaire.  It'd be doubly shameful, if all of the economic advantages of the location, lined Snyder's pockets, and made it utterly useless to its residents.  

I never judged you, you saying stuff i didn't post and I'm calling you out in what you did post.  If you aren't even going to read into what I'm talking about, and was originally brushing this off as people peeing in water bottles, no, i don't think you care.  I don't think you care he took health insurance from part time employees at whole foods after buying the company, which i already posted about in this thread.  You think Bezos doesn't know or cares?  Isn't that the problem we gave with Snyder?

On the flipside, is there any indication that if Dan ran Amazon, he'd somehow have acted more benevolently?  We have a long and extensive history of his business practices with the team, and elsewhere.  Bezos hasn't acted any better or worse than any other billionaire.  The scale of his business however, means more people are affected.  

Let's not be sensationalize the Whole Foods situation.  That move impacted ~2% of their total job force (1,900 of 95,000 employees).  And there's no expectation of him to do something, no one else is doing.  

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I know you have people co-signing your post.  But what does Bezos know about hiring the best football minds?

At a minimum, it'd match Dan's acumen.  Who could he hire, that'd be worse than Vinny, or Bruce Allen? 

I think it'd be great to have a focus on ruthless efficiency, and could eliminate many of the cultural problems currently playing out.  You're not going to have a guy that's taking over the 1st round of the draft.  But he'll hold your feet to the fire if the moves he empowers you to make, aren't working out.  

50 minutes ago, megared said:

All they're doing is leaving their options open.  In the end, Dan's going to jump at the place that's going to provide him significant funding for the stadium.  DC is nothing beyond a backup plan, unless Dan gets an angel investor.  The mayor wanting it, doesn't change the fact that neighborhood residents don't.  The Council generally doesn't.  It'd be a shame if an area, ripe for economic development, hamstrung themselves in efforts to subsidize a billionaire.  It'd be doubly shameful, if all of the economic advantages of the location, lined Snyder's pockets, and made it utterly useless to its residents.  

I see some DC Council members dont want him, not that majority of residents dont. What no one wants is to help pay for the stadium, especially while Snyder is owner.  The name used to be line in the sand until them never coming back changed it to no public funding.  Dont expect that to hold if Virginia gets back involved.

On the flipside, is there any indication that if Dan ran Amazon, he'd somehow have acted more benevolently?  We have a long and extensive history of his business practices with the team, and elsewhere.  Bezos hasn't acted any better or worse than any other billionaire.  The scale of his business however, means more people are affected.  

Let's not be sensationalize the Whole Foods situation.  That move impacted ~2% of their total job force (1,900 of 95,000 employees).  And there's no expectation of him to do something, no one else is doing.  

You're in denial. Both my father and I have had health insurance as part time employees, he got rid of that to save money and stuff like that is how hes the richest man in the world. Stop responding to me.

At a minimum, it'd match Dan's acumen.  Who could he hire, that'd be worse than Vinny, or Bruce Allen? 

I think it'd be great to have a focus on ruthless efficiency, and could eliminate many of the cultural problems currently playing out.  You're not going to have a guy that's taking over the 1st round of the draft.  But he'll hold your feet to the fire if the moves he empowers you to make, aren't working out.  

Dont worry, you will get that if you want that

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Dan is a marketing guy who probably got lucky with his timing of selling his communications company at the height of the dot-com boom. Everything else he has touched, from the Redskins to Six Flags, to Johnny Rockets, has turned to ****. He is someone who is convinced of the superiority of his own instincts, and acts impulsively on his gut.

Bezos is the world's most successful tech billionaire, who will scour every tidbit of analytics to make the best decision possible. Bezos isn't going to hire idiots like Brucifer Prince of Dimness or Vinny Bugeyes. He would put together a think tank to rate all the best GM prospects and make an informed hire.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I see some DC Council members dont want him, not that majority of residents dont. What no one wants is to help pay for the stadium, especially while Snyder is owner.  The name used to be line in the sand until them never coming back changed it to no public funding.  Dont expect that to hold if Virginia gets back involved.

You're in denial. Both my father and I have had health insurance as part time employees, he got rid of that to save money and stuff like that is how hes the richest man in the world. Stop responding to me.

He didn't owe that to Whole Foods.  Go find another company that gives you health care for less than 30 hours/week of work.  There aren't many places out there doing that.  You had employees complaining "That's why I worked at Whole Foods for 213154252 years"...right...because nobody else is offering that perk.  

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dont worry, you will get that if you want that

Ruthless efficiency is much better than being ruthless, and inefficient.  What exactly is the advantage the status quo has?  Do you find them especially adept at labor disputes?

6 minutes ago, megared said:

He didn't owe that to Whole Foods.  Go find another company that gives you health care for less than 30 hours/week of work.  There aren't many places out there doing that.  You had employees complaining "That's why I worked at Whole Foods for 213154252 years"...right...because nobody else is offering that perk.  

The Sheraton in VA Beach where I worked, they were going to let me keep it even though the season slowed down and I'd have less hours.  He could afford to keep it, he chose not to.

6 minutes ago, megared said:

Ruthless efficiency is much better than being ruthless, and inefficient.  What exactly is the advantage the status quo has?  Do you find them especially adept at labor disputes?

There you go again assuming by not wanting Bezos I want to keep Synder.  Stop responding to me if your goal is to get the last word instead of common ground.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The Sheraton in VA Beach where I worked, they were going to let me keep it even though the season slowed down and I'd have less hours.  He could afford to keep it, he chose not to.

Or maybe, just maybe, the focus on lowering prices, increasing market share and getting away from the 'whole paycheck' stigma led him there.  If he's not offering that perk to Amazon employees, what made you think he'd keep it for Whole Foods?  I don't see you mentioning that he raised minimum wage to $15/hour for both sets of employees. 

Finally it wasn't ALL part time employees...it was a small subset of employees working 20 or less hours per week.  Those that wanted to keep coverage were encouraged to apply for positions with at least 30 hours per week.  

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There you go again assuming by not wanting Bezos I want to keep Synder.  Stop responding to me if your goal is to get the last word instead of common ground.

Your plan appears to be to wait around on a mythical billionaire, that has the acumen to run the team, but a heart of gold.  Newsflash...they don't exist.  We currently have the worst of all worlds.  What can you say Snyder's ever committed to, in improving organizational structure, or establishing efficiency?  Nothing. 

But I'm crazy for recognizing, he isn't going to change.  He isn't ever going to have a vision...he isn't ever going to be guided by analytics to lead him to better decisions.  He doesn't have a greater goal in sight, other than maximizing profit, year after year.  He's still doing the same things he was doing in 1999, as far as meddling goes.   

16 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Come on Bezos, make him an offer he can’t refuse. 

Dan is not going to sell no matter what. He is a Redskins fan and got a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the team he rooted for. I know I wouldn't sell it either. Dan is still making money too. Why would he sell anyways.

/Close thread. 

8 minutes ago, megared said:

Or maybe, just maybe, the focus on lowering prices, increasing market share and getting away from the 'whole paycheck' stigma led him there.  If he's not offering that perk to Amazon employees, what made you think he'd keep it for Whole Foods?  I don't see you mentioning that he raised minimum wage to $15/hour for both sets of employees. 

Finally it wasn't ALL part time employees...it was a small subset of employees working 20 or less hours per week.  Those that wanted to keep coverage were encouraged to apply for positions with at least 30 hours per week.  

I didnt mention it because this stadium not tailgate, he cut bonuses for Amazon employees and hours for whole food employees in order to do it.  Theres a litany of things to go after this guy for, some dont apply, none of it seems to matter because at least hes "better then Snyder".

8 minutes ago, megared said:

Your plan appears to be to wait around on a mythical billionaire, that has the acumen to run the team, but a heart of gold.  Newsflash...they don't exist.  We currently have the worst of all worlds.  What can you say Snyder's ever committed to, in improving organizational structure, or establishing efficiency?  Nothing. 

But I'm crazy for recognizing, he isn't going to change.  He isn't ever going to have a vision...he isn't ever going to be guided by analytics to lead him to better decisions.  He doesn't have a greater goal in sight, other than maximizing profit, year after year.  He's still doing the same things he was doing in 1999, as far as meddling goes.   

Again, ignoring my posts, I said I didnt want him to be majority or full owner.  I've brought up a couple times wanting the other pro sports franchise to chip in to buy Snyder out, think I even posted that in this thread.  I'm not asking for a unicorn, but Leonsis and Lerner dont come with nearly the same amount of baggage. 

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I didnt mention it because this stadium not tailgate, he cut bonuses for Amazon employees and hours for whole food employees in order to do it.  Theres a litany of things to go after this guy for, some dont apply, none of it seems to matter because at least hes "better then Snyder".

I'm just not seeing them as egregious displays of evilness, especially in the cut throat industry he's in.  I think people's dislike of him centers more on his runaway success, and the fact that he has such a big market share.  He made tough decisions...but he isn't doing forced labor here.  Having a vision, and driving success are all anyone's ever wanted from Snyder.  And he's incapable of it.  

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Again, ignoring my posts, I said I didnt want him to be majority or full owner.  I've brought up a couple times wanting the other pro sports franchise to chip in to buy Snyder out, think I even posted that in this thread.  I'm not asking for a unicorn, but Leonsis and Lerner dont come with nearly the same amount of baggage. 

How would that even work?  Considering those guys are winning championships on their own merits, I doubt Dan's ego would allow him to sell to them.

And what's to say they'd collectively even want the nightmare of fixing this team?  I mean, sure having Elon Musk would be nice too, but that's not the conversation.  

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

Ted Leonsis? Guy who kept Ernie Grunfield around for 15 years, and fired the best commentating group in the game? Umm, no he is not who I would consider a better owner, or an owner to strive towards. 

Right.  He's considered one of the worst owners in the NBA lol

6 hours ago, megared said:

He wasn't particularly successful.  He hit the lotto during the tech boom and cashed out on an overvalued asset. 

It's been more apparent that he has the reverse Midas touch on pretty much anything he has come into contact with since then.  

The failure list is loooooong!

If I’m Dan, I’m not selling. But if the richest man in the world comes calling, yea I’ll pick up the phone. I want a plan in DC that doesn’t involve hope. Unfortunately dan hasn’t been able to get a group of guys to do that yet. If you half ass it, you get half ass results. 

Any plan would be good. Establish a culture. If you want to be a ball control team with great defense, get the eyes of coaches and players that can implement that system. Build around it. Fill up the lines with high quality talent, and bring in a relentless coordinator ( like Rex Ryan) who can utilize our talents. I’m salivating a my the thought of a defensive front 4 consisting of Young, Payne, Allen, Ion running a Rex Ryan 4-6 

If Dan can’t find a guy that can make that happen, maybe Bezos could. 

29 minutes ago, megared said:

I'm just not seeing them as egregious displays of evilness, especially in the cut throat industry he's in.  I think people's dislike of him centers more on his runaway success, and the fact that he has such a big market share.  He made tough decisions...but he isn't doing forced labor here.  Having a vision, and driving success are all anyone's ever wanted from Snyder.  And he's incapable of it.  

It doesnt, but if you dont see anything wrong with taking health insurance from people, please stop responding.  Tough choices and this guy is richest man in world?  A lot of passes for stuff that isnt Bezos responsibility and blasting Snyder for what isnt his responsibility, love it.

29 minutes ago, megared said:

How would that even work?  Considering those guys are winning championships on their own merits, I doubt Dan's ego would allow him to sell to them.

And what's to say they'd collectively even want the nightmare of fixing this team?  I mean, sure having Elon Musk would be nice too, but that's not the conversation.  

Right.  He's considered one of the worst owners in the NBA lol

Leonsis has monumental sports and between him and Lerner have 4 championships in last 3 years.

It doesnt, but if you dont see anything wrong with taking health insurance from people, please stop responding.  Tough choices and this guy is richest man in world?  A lot of passes for stuff that isnt Bezos responsibility and blasting Snyder for what isnt his responsibility, love it.

It's a false narrative.  It's like me complaining about my employer because they don't offer 10%+ 401K matching, like the 'olden days'.  His goal was to transform the grocery store business model.  Inheriting inefficiencies that aren't cost sensible don't help with that objective.  That in of itself doesn't make him evil.  You can call it heartless..but again I'm not of the expectation that Bezos' wealth (which isn't from Whole Foods) should dictate his business decisions.  He had a particular purpose in mind for acquiring the company.  

Leonsis has monumental sports and between him and Lerner have 4 championships in last 3 years.

But he's still considered one of the worst owners in the NBA.  He did the same thing with Grunsfield, that we're now going through with Allen.  No thanks on that.   

On 11/11/2019 at 3:56 AM, righteousbowi said:

To me the timing of this report is interesting.  Recently,  the NFL has expressed interest in having a NFL team in London. Chargers were linked to that. Leaves Chargers owner to aggressively deny the report. Now Bezo wants to buy a team. Conveniently he lives in the DC area where the football team have fell out of grace with the fanbase after putting up with decades of incompetence. 

I'm no reporter but my gut feeling tells me this is the NFL's way of politely telling Snyder to move/start a franchise in London allowing Bezo to setup a team in DC salvaging one of the bigger Markets in the NFL.

Therefore making everyone happy, as Snyder becomes the forerunner for American football as his team will be the 1st of many creating new markets for the NFL internationally.

To me at least this would make sense.

The problem is there won't be enough fans of the apposing teams to buy up the seats in his empty stadium in London with the putrid product he will be putting on the field.

Archived