Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

**** this. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/12/15/capitals-wizards-potomac-yard-arena-finances-virginia-dc/

A Northern Virginia sports arena that would move the Washington Capitals and Wizards out of downtown D.C. would receive the largest-ever public subsidy for a project of its kind, an estimated $1.35 billion in state and local funds, if it goes forward.

To build the $2.2 billion project, Virginia would need to create a sports and entertainment authority that would issue two bond offerings and would need to contribute an additional $300 million from existing city and state funds, according to a 37-page study produced by investment bank JPMorgan for the state, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post.

I guess Ted saw us get rid of one hated owner and decided to fill the void. 

• Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 2

Does feel like this move is a longer shot than it was when they had their presser. Youngkin wants a win for Legacy and a national politics career. Ted wants money. Could totally see this ending with them staying put and renovating with DC money plus another source like Qater that pissed people off. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

What did DC do to deserve all this terrible ownership? Is it the sins of our politicians being paid for? :lol: Honestly it’s a miracle we won a World Series and a Cup with what we have. 

I always say that any Caps fan who thinks Ted is a bad owner (in terms of hockey, not basketball) must not have followed the team when Abe controlled them.  Pollin didn't give 2 craps about the Caps other than them being a tenant for his building.  Guy let every single player go when they were due for a raise, rarely attended games, and one of his last acts as owner was selling blocks of tickets to Detroit-area travel agencies when the Caps made the Finals in 1998.

Ted is not perfect by any means, and I do feel like he treats the Caps a lot more as an investment, as opposed to when he purchased the team and came across as a genuine fan.  But he's taken a Sesame Street franchise and turned it into a club that consistently sells out, was a legit contender for over a decade, and of course won a Stanley Cup.

Regarding the move to VA, yeah it sucks, and it's definitely all about money and little to do with crime and frustration with dealing with DC gov (although those are two very real issues).  I'm going to really miss Capital One Arena (which is a great stadium with another 10 - 15 years left on it's shelf life), and as a resident of MoCo this will add another 30 minute to my gameday commute.  But Alexandria made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  If you're dating a girl that you're losing interest in, does it really make sense to turn down a younger, funner, hotter woman just because you feel some sense of loyalty to the deteriorating relationship you're already in?  Not to me it doesn't.

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I just saw Wilson got in a fight with the goalie?  Hahahaha 

More like Wilson aggravated the goalie, played it smart and let the goalie take a few cheap shots without responding so that the goalie got a roughing minor.

• Thumb up 2