Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

From McPhee's vantage point, it wasn't that much of a dumbass move.  His job was on the line already and playoff failure would be the end of his tenure, so any long-term costs to the team were not his to suffer.  Except that we could have simply recalled Forsberg to the NHL to play, because it's not like Erat was even better than him at that time.  It was made all the worse, however, when Erat broke his arm after a handful of games.

Yeah I guess the dumbass was Ted for allowing it to happen.  Normally an owner should be hands off on hockey decisions, but a potential lame duck manager is an exception, because they only care about keeping their job.  Ted should have had someone in the FO/scouting staff to keep tabs for a second opinion who didn't have to worry about being shown the door when McPhee was canned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Just imagine, if Lundqvist's heart didn't explode, we would have had him backstopping us in goal for the playoffs instead of beavis and butthead, and we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Chara so Siegenthaler wouldn't have been forced out of the lineup (or stapled to the bench until 30 seconds left in the game; Jesus, what a ****-show)

The Chara signing is the perfect example of doing things the wrong way. GMBM has really had no plan for years. 

25 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Chara signing is the perfect example of doing things the wrong way. GMBM has really had no plan for years. 

I don't fully agree.  I think Chara was a great player for us and cost practically nothing in terms of salary (which was important given our cap situation).  The problem was that we had a coach with limited vision.  If we had someone that would rest from time to time to keep him fresh while rotating in young guys like Siegenthaler to get experience, it could have worked out really nicely.  But instead Laviolette played him night in and night out so he'd be beat up and tired by the time playoffs started, and Siegenthaler was no longer on the team because he quite reasonably requested a trade since he was given zero ice time through no fault of his own.

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't fully agree.  I think Chara was a great player for us and cost practically nothing in terms of salary (which was important given our cap situation).  The problem was that we had a coach with limited vision.  If we had someone that would rest from time to time to keep him fresh while rotating in young guys like Siegenthaler to get experience, it could have worked out really nicely.  But instead Laviolette played him night in and night out so he'd be beat up and tired by the time playoffs started, and Siegenthaler was no longer on the team because he quite reasonably requested a trade since he was given zero ice time through no fault of his own.

That's my point, there was no plan. GMBM seems to never have spoken with Lavi about that kind of approach. And if they did speak and he didn't get a commitment to be cycling in younger players, than he could've not signed Chara. But that takes a GM having a vision on how to rebuild. 

On 10/14/2023 at 9:57 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah I guess the dumbass was Ted for allowing it to happen.  Normally an owner should be hands off on hockey decisions, but a potential lame duck manager is an exception, because they only care about keeping their job.  Ted should have had someone in the FO/scouting staff to keep tabs for a second opinion who didn't have to worry about being shown the door when McPhee was canned

Good point, but even a lame duck GM should be trusted to not make such a ridiculously selfish and shortsighred move. McPhee ran this team for over 15 years. You would think he would've had the honor and integrity (and regard for his legacy) to not do what he did.

Then again, I noticed over the years that he was always quick to cover his ass after every early playoff exit and after every failed personnel move. Even after he left DC, he made sure to get the word out publicly that the Jagr mess was Ted's doing, not his.

I've met him on a few occasions, and he's always been a very nice guy. But he should be ashamed of himself for the Forsberg f up.

• Like 1

Okay, only missed the first 4 minutes, can't have missed much.  ... does that scoreboard say 10-0 in shots?  What the ***?

Edit: make that 12-0 but now with a goal against.  Oof.

8 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

You would think he would've had the honor and integrity (and regard for his legacy) to not do what he did.

The guy who once waited outside the other team's lockerroom to punch out their coach after the game?

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The guy who once waited outside the other team's lockerroom to punch out their coach after the game?

Can't blame McPhee for that one. Chicago was in a full-on rebuild that season, and their management must've watched 'Slapshot' one too many times and decided to sign every washed up goon from the 90s and play rough and dirty in their preseason games. According to McPhee, he spoke with Blackhawks management before the game, and they told him they weren't going to dress certain guys, so the Caps in turn sat out their heavies (Simon, Witt, Tinordi). Chicago did end up sending out an MMA lineup, and a Caps prospect (Trevor Halverson) had to fight 3 times that night. Got a concussion, and never played again.  If I were McPhee, I would've done something too.

8 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Can't blame McPhee for that one. Chicago was in a full-on rebuild that season, and their management must've watched 'Slapshot' one too many times and decided to sign every washed up goon from the 90s and play rough and dirty in their preseason games. According to McPhee, he spoke with Blackhawks management before the game, and they told him they weren't going to dress certain guys, so the Caps in turn sat out their heavies (Simon, Witt, Tinordi). Chicago did end up sending out an MMA lineup, and a Caps prospect (Trevor Halverson) had to fight 3 times that night. Got a concussion, and never played again.  If I were McPhee, I would've done something too.

Yeah, I know.  I just wanted to bring it up.  Dude showed he cared about his players.

Caps had a promising defensive prospect (Patrick Wey) a number of years ago that had his career ended by a career minor-league goon in the AHL on a dirty play.

10 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Who's fault is the score?

I'm thinking it's the guys who put this team together, and were hoping they could squeeze a little more juice out of an old lemon that dried up years ago???

Unlike a lot of other fans, I accept why they didn't launch a rebuild before last season. They were winning their division, playing exciting hockey for the better part of 6 months each year, selling out the building, and they had their all-time legend who still had some good hockey left in him. But the writing is on the wall now - this team sucks, and there's no fix short of a rebuild. I'm sorry if Ovie won't like it, but those are facts. The only question is whether ownership will have the balls to follow through. As with so many other things, it'll come down to money. Their sellout streak officially ended on Monday night (I was there, and there were A LOT of empty seats), and this will only get worse if we continue to lose.

Oh, and Backstrom is crap from here on out. I know we all love the guy, but signing him to a long-term deal when he was already starting to break down and is on the wrong side of 30 is sheer incompetence on the part of ownership. If you wanna show appreciation for what he's done for this club, fine; offer him a plum gig as a highly paid scout to the Caribbean and South Pacific hockey leagues or something like that. But don't waste $9.5 million of cap space for the next few years to a guy who is now nothing more than a 3rd liner (at best).

Ovi needs 140 more goals to pass Gretzky. That will likely take at least 4 more seasons. This team will not help him reach that milestone any quicker. They are old and slow, and will probably hinder the pursuit.

Would be in Ovi’s best interests to  get behind a rebuild that will jettison the big contracts of older, underperforming players in order to bring some youth and enthusiasm into the team. At least some young quick frontline players may help Ovi get more goal scoring opportunities.

This team sucks right now, and will get out skated every game. The rebuild needs to start now.

I’d be willing to let Ovi go to a better team, if that is something he wants to do, in order to become the all-time GS leader. He will always be a Cap first and foremost, and that would be a quality gesture. 

Heck, with the monetary savings, and young players/picks you could get from dealing Ovi, Carlson, Oshie, Kuzy, Backy, you might be able to be relevant in about 3 years, and then bring Ovi back to break the record, and retire in the red, white, and blue.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Ovi needs 140 more goals to pass Gretzky. That will likely take at least 4 more seasons. This team will not help him reach that milestone any quicker. They are old and slow, and will probably hinder the pursuit.

Cut that number in 2 and you're close.  Ovechkin has 822 goals, Gretzky has 894.  72 goals to go.

• Like 1

They've made their bed with Ovi, Nicky and Oshie. You can't move/deal/trade those guys cause their contracts are nuts. (They couldn't even move Kuznetsov) Possibly Ovi, due only to him chasing the record, but that aint happening. And even if, it'd have to be to some bottom feeding team looking to fill seats. Nobody good got 9+m in this cap era, to pay to an aging slow forward. Gotta wait this one out, unfortunately. This year and next, we're screwed. 

36 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

They've made their bed with Ovi, Nicky and Oshie. You can't move/deal/trade those guys cause their contracts are nuts. (They couldn't even move Kuznetsov) Possibly Ovi, due only to him chasing the record, but that aint happening. And even if, it'd have to be to some bottom feeding team looking to fill seats. Nobody good got 9+m in this cap era, to pay to an aging slow forward. Gotta wait this one out, unfortunately. This year and next, we're screwed. 

No reason to ever trade Ovi.  He's the franchise icon and we'll never have another player like him in terms of what he's done for this team (both on the ice, and building the fanbase).  But while Ovi is here, they need to focus on what's best for the team, not necessarily what's best for him.  The deal that Ted apparently made with him in which the Caps won't rebuild while he is here is ridiculous.  This club isn't going anywhere, and by sticking with this lackluster team we're going to continue to miss the playoffs, but at the same time we won't finish low enough to get great draft position (top 5), which is really the only way to rebuild in the NHL.

And the Backstrom deal is a joke.  Unbelievable we're committed to him at almost $10 mil for 2 more seasons. 

• Like 1

I'm firmly in the camp that they could've retooled over the last few years and still remained competitive but they allowed their emotions to dictate too many moves. The Caps went all in on getting older despite the results in the playoffs after the Cup. When was the last time the Caps didn't have a legitimate goalie prospect? They certainly do not at the moment. 

Anyway, this team is headed for a bottom 5 finish in the league. It's likely to be a very painful two seasons as far as on ice play. 

• Like 1