Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Good for the Avs.  They did a great job building that club, and they should be contenders for several more years.  Hate to see a dirty player like Kadri get his name on the Cup, but half the teams in the league have a scumbag like him so I guess it's a wash.  I am sure a lot of fans in other cities said the same thing about Willy in 2018. 

27 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Have to admit I didn’t watch the playoffs after the caps were out of it (mainly due to just past two months being crazy but a small part of me just didn’t want to watch after our disappointing exit) but I’m happy for Colorado 

Yeah, most years my NHL playoff viewing consists of (1) watching the Caps, and then once they get bounced (2) rooting for anyone playing the teams I hate (Pens, Rags, Philly, Bruins, Canes).  Once said hated teams are gone, I usually tune out until the Cup Finals.

Why is it that the Stanley cup finals have gone to the end of June these past couple of seasons? Prior to Covid, the Stanley cup winner won it all (us on 6/7, and blues on 6/12). 

2021 the lightning won it all on 7/7, and then last night, 6/26 Colorado won it all. 

has the season actually started later this season and the 2020-2021 season than it did before Covid?

Remember, 2020-21 wasn't a full season.

It does seem that this season started a bit later than, say, 2018. Also, I think they were writing a lot of the February slate off in anticipation of NHL participation at the Olympics and when that didn't happen, that month was primarily used for make up games from the covid impact early in the season.

In 2018, ir was known well enough in advance that the NHL wouldn't be participating in the Olympics and thus the schedule was made with no breaks.

Edited by hail2skins

55 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Remember, 2020-21 wasn't a full season.

It does seem that this season started a bit later than, say, 2018. Also, I think they were writing a lot of the February slate off in anticipation of NHL participation at the Olympics and when that didn't happen, that month was primarily used for make up games from the covid impact early in the season.

In 2018, ir was known well enough in advance that the NHL wouldn't be participating in the Olympics and thus the schedule was made with no breaks.

Yeah, I didn’t realize prior to Covid, the regular season ended in early April, compared to early may last year and this year. I thought with a similar opening date this season (October 12th) only being 9 days later than 2018-2019 season (October 3rd), the end date of regular season wouldn’t be THAT big a difference.  That surprised me 

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't pre-season start the week before?  Or is there none this season?

Edit, add:  And on first glance, October is a traveling ****fest. 

#2:  The rest looks reasonable, and I didn't realize the 2-day-offs when I first posted.  I'll shut up now. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Edit, add:  And on first glance, October is a traveling ****fest. 

So is the end of November, beginning of December, eight out of nine games are on the road 

I can’t BELIEVE we got Miroshnichenko.  This guy’s is so talented…had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma last year so he dropped in the draft but could be the best player in the entire class.

Don’t some of these highlights kinda look *a little* like you-know-who?  

I was reading about this guy a week or two back and thought it would be awesome if he fell to us and well, here we are.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I was looking at the Capitals draft picks from the last decade or so. There were almost no names I recognized, and the ones that I did play on other teams. I guess Vrana and Burakovsky won a Stanley Cup in DC though huh? Should have kept those guys. Filip Forsberg is good, but never played for us. Tom Wilson is from the same draft and he is pretty good. Kuznetsov is from 2010 and he has been great for us.

Are the Capitals generally good at developing talent? I am not really a huge hockey guy but I follow enough to at least recognize the big names.

9 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I was looking at the Capitals draft picks from the last decade or so. There were almost no names I recognized, and the ones that I did play on other teams. I guess Vrana and Burakovsky won a Stanley Cup in DC though huh? Should have kept those guys. Filip Forsberg is good, but never played for us. Tom Wilson is from the same draft and he is pretty good. Kuznetsov is from 2010 and he has been great for us.

Are the Capitals generally good at developing talent? I am not really a huge hockey guy but I follow enough to at least recognize the big names.

The NHL Draft is not like the NFL draft where you're drafting a bunch of 21+ guys expected to play now.  There's a LOT of uncertainty, and most of them don't work out.  1st round you'll probably get an NHL player.  Certainly no guarantee of them being 1st or second liners.

• Like 1

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Who’s vita? 

Sorry, Vitek Vanecek. I always butcher his name. Caps traded a 2nd round pick to get him back. Should've tried to trade him before the expansion draft for any pick. 

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

Sorry, Vitek Vanecek. I always butcher his name. Caps traded a 2nd round pick to get him back. Should've tried to trade him before the expansion draft for any pick. 

Then we would have lost someone else in the expansion.  Like Brendan Dillon who we traded away from two 2nd round picks, including the one we used to get Vanecek back.  Or Nick Jensen who's a very valuable right-handed defenseman on a cheap contract.

The only real butchering of the goaltender situation, in my opinion, was not given Zach Fucale an honest chance after he set the NHL record for shutout minutes to start a career, and not making a deal at the deadline when it became evident that the two guys in the NHL were not gonna win us a cup (and we had no idea if Fucale could since we refused to play him).

Edited by PokerPacker

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Then we would have lost someone else in the expansion.  Like Brendan Dillon who we traded away from two 2nd round picks, including the one we used to get Vanecek back.  Or Nick Jensen who's a very valuable right-handed defenseman on a cheap contract.

The only real butchering of the goaltender situation, in my opinion, was not given Zach Fucale an honest chance after he set the NHL record for shutout minutes to start a career, and not making a deal at the deadline when it became evident that the two guys in the NHL were not gonna win us a cup (and we had no idea if Fucale could since we refused to play him).

If those two guys were more valuable than Vanecek, Seattle would've taken one. Nothing prevented GMBM from making multiple moves before the Kraken draft. Hell, work out a deal with the Kraken to get salary cap relief. 

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

If those two guys were more valuable than Vanecek, Seattle would've taken one. Nothing prevented GMBM from making multiple moves before the Kraken draft. Hell, work out a deal with the Kraken to get salary cap relief. 

You forget that Ron Francis is a terrible GM.  He reportedly wouldn't work anything out with any GM for anything less than something along the lines of a 1st and 3rd regardless of the actual value.  There's a reason Seattle were bottom-dwellers this season while the Golden Knights went to the finals their first season: Francis is playing in a sandbox while McPhee was playing 3D chess wheeling and dealing.

Brendan Dillon was objectively more valuable, because we traded him away from two 2nd round draft picks, including, again, the one we eventually used to get Vanecek back.  Nick Jensen has been fantastic, and I am glad we still have him.  I was really afraid we'd lose him in the expansion draft as a solid right-handed defenseman on a really cheap contract ($2.5 mil per season).

Edited by PokerPacker