Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS QUOTES - Gruden, Manusky & IR List

TK

September 12, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

Opening statement:

“Did not participate: [DL] Jonathan Allen, knee, [DL Caleb] Brantley, foot, [RB Derrius] Guice, knee, [QB Colt] McCoy, fibula, [CB Quinton] Dunbar, knee. Limited were [S Montae] Nicholson foot, [CB Fabian] Moreau ankle, [TE Jordan] Reed, concussion.”

On the report of Guice’s surgery:

“He went to Dr. [James] Andrews, had a visit and they did a small procedure on him and that’s the extent of the procedure that I know of right now. Hasn’t [been] put on IR, we haven’t made that determination yet.”

On Dunbar’s injury:

“He didn’t practice today, had a sore knee, that’s it. Nothing major.”

On if Dunbar will return tomorrow:

“Hope so. He’s getting checked out today.”

On if there is a concern that Guice won’t return 100 percent:

“I don’t have a concern with him getting back to full strength. He came back extremely strong with the much more damaged knee last time. This is a minor procedure from what I’ve been told and he will be back. Great kid, works extremely hard and eventually he’s going to show Redskin nation what he’s all about."

On if the doctors trimmed Guice’s meniscus:

“I don’t know exactly what happened. I don’t know. Dr. Andrews did it, today I believe.”

On the challenges of not rushing guys back from injuries:

“There’s no balancing act at all. If they’re cleared by the doctors then they’re good to go and that’s the only determination I can make. I don’t make the judgement of, ‘I need you for the 14 games’ if they can go, I know they want to go, so we’ll let them go [play]. If they aren’t cleared then obviously we won’t make them or ask them to.”

On how the Cowboys defense has evolved over the years:

“One thing that stays constant is the way they play. They play extremely hard, they’re fast and physical and that’s what they hang their hat on. [Defensive Coordinator Ron] Marinelli does an excellent job of tenacity, teaching tenacity. They play with their hair on fire every snap. They’re moving around, they’re getting up field, they’re getting off blocks. [LB] Jaylon Smith is fast to the football. [LB Leighton] Vander Esch is fast to the football. Safety [Xavier] Woods is an excellent middle safety when he’s in the middle, but he also comes down to cover the backs and the tight ends. They’ve got corners that are very disruptive that really knock you off your routes and force the quarterback to hold it and that enables the pass rush to get home. Very solid defense."

On what he tells WR Terry McLaurin about defenses taking notice of him:

“Nothing. I think he’s fine. He’s got a level head on his shoulders. The beauty is when Jordan Reed comes back they have other things to worry about as well. [WR] Trey Quinn is going to make a splash also. [RB] Chris Thompson in the back field. [WR Kelvin] Harmon, [WR] Paul Richardson [Jr.], all those guys I think when you distribute the ball correctly and you add [RB] Adrian Peterson in the running game, it’s hard to just concentrate on one guy and that’s the intent of our offense.”

On shifting players around on the defensive line to shore up depth:

“We’ll still have – if both [Allen and Brantley] can’t go then we’ll still have five defensive linemen able to rotate. I wouldn’t put [LB Montez] Sweat in there against some of these big guards and tackles that they have and get double-teamed, wouldn’t be pretty. Sweat is flying on the outside. We need him to get up the field and force [QB] Dak Prescott to step up into [DL Daron] Payne and [DL Matt] Ioannidis and the rest of the guys. Sweat is in a good spot where he is. I think we’ll have five healthy, good defensive linemen no matter who they are.”

On what he has seen from Prescott over the years:

“Dak [Prescott] has always been a very poised quarterback. He does a great job with his eyes down the field, creating plays with his legs, his strength in the pocket. We’ve had many of times we’ve had him corralled and he gets out of the grasp of our defenders and makes a play. He had one last, he had two last year at their place that really cost us. He’s an excellent quarterback. He can do it all, he can get outside the pocket, he can stand in the pocket and then he hurts you with his legs within the pocket.”

On what he has seen from DL Tim Settle:

“It’s big for him. I think it’s going to come down to him, how he handles more reps. When you have [Daron] Payne, [Jonathan] Allen and [Matt] Ioannidis in there, he’s getting limited 15-20 snaps a game, that goes up to 30, 35, 40, we’ll see how he does. We’ll see how his stamina is. But, I think he’s in great shape. That entire defensive line group worked extremely hard in the offseason to get themselves ready. They weren’t quite ready for three defensive linemen the whole second half against Philly, but they’re in good shape and ready to go. I think Settle, hopefully will show up big.”

On if he was surprised by how much action Moreland saw and on his overall performance:

“Not really. We anticipate him playing full-time nickel, for the most part. He might have to move outside a little bit, we’ll see how our guys are tomorrow. It’s going to be big for [Quinton] Dunbar and [Fabian] Moreau, tomorrow will be a big day for them. We have [CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie] also who can play outside. Obviously, Jimmy can play outside as well so. Might have to address something tomorrow, but we’ll see how those two guys are, so it’ll be critical tomorrow. Big day tomorrow for as far as the secondary is concerned.”

On if they anticipated McLaurin to be a day one starter:

“We drafted him because he’s fast and a heck of a wide out. We had hopes that he would be a full-time starter eventually. We also knew he was great on special teams. Quality person, leader, two-time captain at Ohio State. Really a no brainer at that spot. If we were smart, we would have taken him in the first round. He’s been awesome. You know a guy from that program, as smart as he is, a captain, those guys can handle day one starter because nothing is too big for them.”

On how Moreau has looked in practice:

“He did more today out there, which is good. It’s close, it’s just a matter of how he feels pushing off and exploding and being able to go full speed. Tomorrow will be a good day to find out more. Might lean into Saturday, but they’re getting a lot of mental reps out there, they’re in all the meetings, they’re ready to play. Just a matter of if they feel like they can push off and be effective.”

On if they can use the film from 2018 on the Cowboys for this season:

“Oh yeah we watch film for sure. Last year’s game, both games, what they’ve done every game for the last couple of years. We understand what they’re all about. Knowing what they’re all about and being able to handle that front is another thing and the speed of their linebackers. We just gotta make sure we’re on top of what we’re doing. Taking good pass, hanging on double teams maybe a little longer, getting off the double teams to get to the linebackers if they’re fast following. It’s easier said than done. There’s a lot of movement involved with that defense and they’re very effective at it. But there’s still some lanes to be had. We just gotta do a good job and be a little bit more patient in calling them.”

On what Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence can do:

“He’s a big problem. You try to double team as much you can, but that’s not always the case. You want to get receivers out in that pattern, but you want to make sure you have him taken care of. He can wreck a game. I think he had an interception against us last year at their place and had a couple sacks. Great player, great player. Whether he’s on [T Donald] Penn or whether he’s on [T Morgan] Moses, he’s been a problem for us in the past. The guys are ready for him, it’ll be a great challenge as it always is.”

On if he expects anyone to go on IR:

“Yeah that could happen, could very well happen if we need a spot depending on what’s going on with the secondary for sure. We gotta make sure we get the proper diagnosis with a couple guys that are injured right now. Some of them if they’re three or four weeks or six or seven weeks, it’ll be a big determination. We’ll talk to the doctors, talk to the trainers and figure out who that might be later on today or tomorrow.”

Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky

On what changed in the second half: 

"I think basically we played hard in the first half. We made some plays in the second half we didn't make the plays that we needed to make. Too many drives of 12 plays, 12 plays, and not getting off on third down was really affecting us. We got to play better on third down and make sure we get off the field."

On creating pressure against Dallas after not getting to QB Carson Wentz a lot:

"[Quarterback] [Carson Wentz] is a pretty good quarterback of course. The have a pretty good offensive line from a protection standpoint. [Wentz] can hold the ball, he can scramble and get around. We have to make sure that we get after the same guy in Dallas. [Quarterback] [Dak Prescott] is very similar. We got to make sure we get off on third downs, so we get off the field." 

On coverage break downs:

"We just got to keep on working it in the practices each and every week. Across the board, we got to make sure that the communication is always vital. We're just going to keep on working it on the field during practice, and making sure the communication's there. We'll get it." 

On feeling good on asking the defense to run different coverages:

"I think we're all right. Across the board, I think we just got to keep on working and communicating on the backend, frontline and across the board. The communication is vital, and we got to keep on doing that."

On leaving the game feeling good about 1st half or bad on 2nd: 

"First quarter, second quarter, that's the way I look at it. We got some good players; we just got to make sure we hone it up and try to make sure everybody's on the same page, and get going." 

On getting more turnovers:

"Well, I think that overall, that's the biggest thing is the turnover ratio. That's big; we didn't have any [the Eagles] didn't have any. So the situation is those turnovers do cause a game to go either way. And we didn't have any of those; we got to make sure that focus on those on the field when we're out there." 

On how to determine the three inside linebackers playing and the rotation:

"With the 12 play series, another 12 play, and the 20 play, it was kind of back and forth with some of the guys we had in there because it was a little bit hot and humid. Those 20-play drives, or 12-play drives, could gas a guy. So just rotating the guys that we need to rotate and sometimes they were a little bit gassed, which we knew, and that's why we rotated."

On how the three linebackers played:

"They played ok. I think across the board; we have to get better each and every week. That's what we got to do."

On noticing if Cowboys have done anything different to try to confuse defenses and having LB Jon Bostic help with the communication:

"The communication with [LB] [Jon] Bostic, always he's a mic-linebacker he's a communication guy, trying to get it across the board with the front line and the DB's. I thought overall; he did a pretty job during the game. We have to get better across the board."

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 10.17.43 PM.png

8 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I really don't like Greg Manusky

Someone should've asked him why he kept rushing 3 guys on 3rd and long. 

I'm with you on this, but you know that he just would have answered "yeah we just gotta work on that, we'll get it". He basically gave the same answer to every question.

As other posters have said; Haslett=Barry=Manusky. The guy is ****ing clueless.

20 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm with you on this, but you know that he just would have answered "yeah we just gotta work on that, we'll get it". He basically gave the same answer to every question.

As other posters have said; Haslett=Barry=Manusky. The guy is ****ing clueless.

I dont like him at all and judging by them trying to replace him I dont think the fans are alone in this. 

"I think that, ya know, we will get it" 

please. stop it. 

3 minutes ago, illone said:

Todd Bowles was available but would have made too much sense to bring him in.

Welp™

They talked to him.  I bet they offered him the job.  

But he’s not going to take a job for a HC who is likely going to be fired at the end of the season.  And everybody knows Jay is likely going to be fired at the end of the season.  

Though it is is kind of a self full-filing prophesy.  If the defense was good, he might not be fired.  But if you’re a good DC you want more stability.

As an aside, Haz might be the same as Manusky.  

Barry was worse.  It’s tough to see how, but he has was MUCH worse. 

For some reason, Guice being put on IR doesn't bother me as much as Holtz being cut, re-signed to the practice squad, and then ultimately signed away. Sure, Holtz is probably not a game changer or the next Clint Didier, but how do you cut him from the regular roster before you know that Reed is cleared to play? Now, we have no third tight end. Injuries happen. The Holtz decision is just roster mismanagement.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

For some reason, Guice being put on IR doesn't bother me as much as Holtz being cut, re-signed to the practice squad, and then ultimately signed away. Sure, Holtz is probably not a game changer or the next Clint Didier, but how do you cut him from the regular roster before you know that Reed is cleared to play? Now, we have no third tight end. Injuries happen. The Holtz decision is just roster mismanagement.

finding a 4th string TE isn't that hard to do. 

said as much on twitter. But this team needed to get out of the "if he stays healthy" business. #1. It leads to wishful thinking on a Wednesday that a guy will play when his history says it ain't happening. #2. Not looking team by team around the league, sure as **** it feels like this team gets is wrong way too often.

Time to get into the "He's never missed a game" and "there are zero red flags with his health" business.

Give me a roster full of blue-collar smart guys with high motors that don't have a history of however man concussions in college, or missed their Jr. year to a whatever injury. 

Of course, those types will have their injuries, but will probably be at or below league average until it really is a med/training staff issue.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

finding a 4th string TE isn't that hard to do. 

But there was no need, especially when two additional roster slots opened up because players went to IR. Besides, for the forseeable future, we're missing our third tight end and most jumbo packages involve three tight ends.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

But there was no need, especially when two additional roster slots opened up because players went to IR. Besides, for the forseeable future, we're missing our third tight end and most jumbo packages involve three tight ends.

Convinced Jay would still try to fun that jumbo package if he didn't have any TEs. He doesn't know you can line guys up closer to the sidelines......also, he doesn't know you can run from that look. ;)

Archived